PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Rogue [Optimization]

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-06-09, 08:08 AM
Well, ladies and gentlemen, most unfortunately, it's me again, with yet another challenge/gauntlet/problem for better minds than mine to aid me in tackling.

I recently began participating in the estimable Scale Seasons: there, I play a stealthy character with a penchant for Claw weaponry.

The specifics are as follows; racially, I'm a Caudabran (http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Caudabran), essentially a psionic newt-person; bonuses to Int/Dex, penalties to Con/Cha, Naturally Psionic, Spend 1 PP to gain water breathing or +4 H/MS, weapon familiarity with claw-class weapons- which benefits TWF.

This much, I had determined, and I've gotten through statting up my first level, which is, as the title would suggest, Psychic Rogue, deciding on Psionic Weapon as a feat (with an eye toward Deep Impact at a later date) and Entangling Ectoplasm as my lone 1st-level power.

It was at this point that my train of thought hit a penny on the tracks.

My question to you is this, friends; how best to create an optimal Psychic Rogue/Lurk?

Input is appreciated on feat/power selection, welcome in terms of equipment, but positively gushed over in terms of PrC selection. Opinions on possible synergies between the two 'psychic stealth' classes (Lurk/Psyrogue) is also good.

I've considered Tempest, Elocater, Innate Pretender, & a few others, but nothing is really coming to me.

The 'build concept' is a stealthy, skill-focused (though not exclusively) TWF rogue. The ability to contribute outside of skill encounters is a must (otherwise I'll get very, very bored).

So; what be your thoughts?

Matthew
2007-06-10, 01:08 PM
Hmmn. I have no idea really, but somebody must. Does he use his Claw Attacks over Two Weapon Fighting or what? I'm a bit unclear why you need Two Weapon fighting to make these Claw Attacks.

2007-06-10, 09:30 PM
I'm utilizing Claw-class Weapons (http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Claw-Class_Weapons), not natural claw attacks.

In addition, to perhaps clarify some things, here is the handy-dandy Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b). I realized belatedly that since this is the only place that references it, it might be somewhat obscure.

At any rate, at the present time, I've decided to go with Psychic Rogue/Factotum, Factotum being yet another obscure class- this one from Dungeonscape. It's a jack-of-all-trades that actually seems to work, and has outstanding Int synergy, approaching single-ability dependency.

For feats, I picked up Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606), which increases my effectiveness as a Factotum; Prestige-wise, I'm aiming for Psion Uncarnate; Incorporeality is a good state for a Rogue, all things considered.

Jasdoif
2007-06-10, 11:54 PM
<nitpick>That "seascales" seems kinda off, since simply having the Aquatic subtype mean you breathe water and suffocate in air. I'd throw in amphibious instead of the redundant water breathing.</nitpick>

My off-the-top-of-my-head thought is getting your claws made out of deep crystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/specialMaterials.htm#crystalDeep). Charging one with power points is a free action, so you could charge them both in any round you attack in. Heck, you might be allowed to charge one before each attack when you take a full attack. For only increasing weapon price by 1,000gp each, it's not a bad option to have, turning power points into d6s.

2007-06-11, 08:02 AM
That's a good idea, and one I'm stealing; as I haven't invested much in my present weaponry, Deep crystal claws should be a nice thing to have next level.

Nitpick will be fixed; thanks for pointing that out.

The question now is, how to qualify for Uncarnate (which requires 3rd-level powers) in a reasonable amount of levels? If I went straight Psyrogue, I could do it by level 8, but that's a while of itself, and since I'm dedicated to dual-classing to avoid stepping on toes, I really would rather not go straight.

Jasdoif
2007-06-11, 11:46 AM
Eek...that's gonna be painful. My suggestion is asking your DM, nicely, to lower the manifesting prereq to "manifester level 5th".

Otherwise, all I can think of is choosing a class that gets 3rd level powers sooner instead of psychic rogue (misses the point) or finding/creating some easy-entry psionic/psionic theurge-alike class and find some way to make it double progress your manifesting in one class (unlikely to be found, likely to make your DM hate you even if found).

Matthew
2007-06-11, 11:51 AM
I'm utilizing Claw-class Weapons (http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Claw-Class_Weapons), not natural claw attacks.
Right, gotcha.

Aquillion
2007-06-11, 12:53 PM
For feats, I picked up Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606), which increases my effectiveness as a Factotum; Prestige-wise, I'm aiming for Psion Uncarnate; Incorporeality is a good state for a Rogue, all things considered.Before you go for Uncarnate, make sure your game is actually going to go to the higher levels. Uncarnate is basically useless until you get it to level 10... if your DM doesn't let you change the entrance requirements and you don't "cheat" by moving out of Psychic Rogue (defeating the purpose of the build), you won't be able to use your abilities very well, really, until a whopping level 18. Even if your DM lets you become an Uncarnate early, you won't be doing much until level 15.

It's a pity... Uncarnate is a nifty class, themewise. But the mechanics make it something of a pain to get there.

2007-06-11, 02:45 PM
If only there were some other way to become permanently incorporeal...anybody know of one? :3

Were-Sandwich
2007-06-11, 02:55 PM
Ghost template, thats all I can think of. Or unbodied. both high LA races though.

Aquillion
2007-06-11, 03:10 PM
The problem is that incorporeality of any decent length is the equivalent of, I think, an eighth level spell in power? So they don't give it to you easily. After all, it combines extremely effective defense, near-perfect mobility, the power to completely ignore a huge swath of effects (including the great majority of battlefield-altering effects, which are often very hard to negate otherwise), near-perfect stealth, and the ability to completely replace skill-monkey abilities in many cases.

It's just getting there that's hard...

2007-06-12, 08:26 AM
The problem is that incorporeality of any decent length is the equivalent of, I think, an eighth level spell in power? So they don't give it to you easily. After all, it combines extremely effective defense, near-perfect mobility, the power to completely ignore a huge swath of effects (including the great majority of battlefield-altering effects, which are often very hard to negate otherwise), near-perfect stealth, and the ability to completely replace skill-monkey abilities in many cases.

It's just getting there that's hard...

Yes, I think 'Ghostform' would be the closest equivalent in spell form.

I'm pretty sure that's why Uncarnate is a reasonably-difficult-to-enter prestige with ten levels; Incorporeality is a large advantage (though not without its downsides).

Person_Man
2007-06-12, 10:27 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Psychic Rogue. Along with the Beguiler, its the only Skill Monkey I consider playable at mid to high levels.

In my opinion, melee combat for a Psychic Rogue is a very bad idea. You're squishy, you lack full BAB, your AC is mediocre, and your Sneak Attack is scaled very poorly.

But if you're going to do it, then you need to build in a good combo. I suggest:

1) Have a really, really high Con score, and invest in the best possible AC via multiple magic/psionic items.

2) Take the Mind Cripple Special Ability. Now every time you deal Sneak Attack, you also deal two points of Int damage with NO SAVE. This is huge, since many enemies have piss poor Int, including most animals and magical beasts. And if you can lower an opponents Int, you lower their Skills, deny them access to anything that requires Combat Expertise (like Trip builds), and often deny access to spells/powers (or at least lower their DC's).

3) Buy a Ring of Blinking, and turn it on just before every combat. Or have a friendly spellcaster cast Greater Invisibility on you (my preferred method). You now qualify for Sneak Attack for every single attack you make.

4) Take one level of Pyrokineticist. You now have a touch attack reach weapon. Since your enemies are also always denied their Dex bonus (from Step 3) you should only miss on a roll of a natural 1. FYI, you can use whips two handed (great for Leap Attack combos). It's even specifically discussed in the FAQ. But for this build I would just pick up a magical mithral shield. With the right properties, it doesn't have an armor check penalty, so proficiency doesn't matter.

5) Focus on feats that give you extra attacks of opportunity, such as Combat Reflexes, Karmic Strike, Hold the Line, Defensive Throw, and Knock-Down (very important, because it stops people from getting close to you). Because you have such a huge reach and a high Dex, this will generate a lot more attacks then TWF. And remember, you hit 95% of the time.

6) Have a potent magical bow, arrows with various useful properties (Ghost Touch, Adamantine, Cold Iron, etc), and some way to See Invisibility/True Sight. This is your backup weapon. Your DM is going to get pissed at how effective you are, and is going to throw the kitchen sink at you. Be prepared.

If you're wedded to using claws, follow steps 1-3, but for your next step take Expanded Knowledge Claws of the Beast and Claws of the Vampire followed by Karmic Strike. This is known as the King of Smack combo. Google it. You'll have the same exact fluff, but much higher damage output. Surviving as a King of Smack requires a very, very high Con though. And you won't be nearly as safe, because you lack reach and you lack the ability to make touch attacks.

2007-06-12, 02:17 PM
I was wondering when you'd weigh in..that's...admirably specific. o.o;

What would be your recommendations for achieving the necessary very high Constitution?

Are there any alternatives to Pyrokineticist that allows a similar effect, if for some reason a flaming whip isn't my thing?

Fax Celestis
2007-06-12, 02:42 PM
...Cryokineticist?