PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Avoidance

Matthew
2007-06-09, 09:09 AM
Not sure if this name has been used before, probably has. Anyway, I was thinking the other day of a parallel for Deflect Arrows, Block Arrows and Shield Block, but for use against Ranged Touch Attacks and Rays. It would either allow the Character to once per round completely negate one Ranged Touch Attack or else grant an extra Reflex Saving Throw to avoid the effects of any such Spell.

AVOIDANCE [GENERAL]
You are especially skilled at avoiding magical attacks.
Prerequisite: Dexterity 13
Benefits: Once per round you may negate the effects of a Ranged Touch Attack or Ray.
Normal:
Special: A Fighter may take this as one of his Fighter Bonus Feats.

or

AVOIDANCE [GENERAL]
You are especially skilled at avoiding magical attacks.
Prerequisite: Dexterity 13
Benefits: Whenever you are targeted by a Ranged Touch Attack or Ray, you may make a Reflex Save to negate the effects. The Difficulty Class is equal to the Attack Roll of the Ranged Touch Attack or Ray.
Normal:
Special: A Fighter may take this as one of his Fighter Bonus Feats.

So, any thoughts about this?

jindra34
2007-06-09, 09:11 AM
The second one is more balanced and might actually be fair in a game.

Matthew
2007-06-15, 12:28 PM
Yeah, Thrawn183 said a similar thing in The Amazing Fighter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45518&page=6) Thread. However, the more I think about it, the more I think the first would be fine if it worked for any Ranged Attack. More powerful than Deflect Arrows and Block Arrow, you say? Yeah, it is, but it's intended to give the Fighter an edge. I'm still undecided, but I'm heavily leaning towards automatic negation.

Fixer
2007-06-15, 02:29 PM
There is an epic feat that allows for deflection of ray spells.

Exceptional Deflection

EXCEPTIONAL DEFLECTION [EPIC]
Prerequisites: Dex 21, Wis 19, Deflect Arrows, Improved Unarmed Strike.
Benefit: The character can deflect any ranged attacks (including spells that require ranged touch attacks) as if they were arrows.

Matthew
2007-06-16, 10:46 PM
Good point, there. Still, I'm not convinced that the ability to Dodge Ranged Attacks need be Epic. Maybe this should have Dodge and Dexterity 13 as Prerequisites, though.