PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed incarnate + ring of rapid healing = insane fast healing

you randomly
2015-12-04, 06:07 AM
so the idea is that with a ring of rapid healing and the therapeutic mantle of the incarnate you could increase the healing provided by the ring by 21 (7 from the level of the spell needed to make the ring + 14 from investing 7 essentia)

i would like to know if this would work as im thinking that is healing 24 per round

also if you can think of maybe a cheaper way of doing this

ben-zayb
2015-12-04, 07:21 AM
By RAW IIRC, it does Nil for nonspell healing

Chronos
2015-12-04, 07:26 AM
Theraputic Mantle is borked. The description is clear that it works on all sources of magical healing, but the only effect it describes depends on the spell level of the healing, which many sources don't have. In particular, the magic item doesn't work by casting a spell on you, so it's not defined just how much the mantle would do (though your guess is as good as any).

Where is the ring of rapid healing? If you mean the Ring of Regeneration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#regeneration), it works much more slowly than you're describing, at only one point per hour, and is far too expensive to be practical for any purpose.

And your mention of using seven essentia suggests that you're planning on using this trick at very high level, at which point 24 HP per round is completely meaningless.

you randomly
2015-12-04, 07:29 AM
ring of rapid healing is from epic level handbook i think and the idea is for a tanking back up char, in campaigns with my gm we normally end up getting high level items earlier than most so it would still be useful the item cost abput 300,000 as i recall

GilesTheCleric
2015-12-04, 11:58 AM
Cheapest way I could see is polymorph. Hydras get 10+original number of heads fast healing, and HD = number of heads. There's probably a terrasque or something with faster healing, but hydras scale and are available early with no effort.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-12-04, 12:14 PM
That ring is terrible for 300,000 gold. I could have had a Vest of the Archmage for less and spent the difference on a pile of wands of vigor to replicate the ring.

xyianth
2015-12-04, 01:17 PM
If I were to build a tank that wanted to optimize self healing, I'd go with something like this:

race: azurin
build: crusader 1/paladin 4/binder 1/hellreaver 8/incarnate 3/totemist 2/ruby knight vindicator 1
feats: stone power[1], shape soulmeld(therapeutic mantle)[h], draconic aura(vigor)[3], improved binding[6], dragontouched[9], expanded soulmeld capacity(therapeutic mantle)[12], bonus essentia[15], sacred healing[18]
important stances: martial spirit, aura of triumph
important maneuvers: crusader's strike

Invest 7 essentia in therapeutic mantle for +14 healing per effect. Aura of triumph heals you 4 points as a 6th level effect per attack. This should heal you 24 points per attack total. Your vigor aura is a +5 effect due to your dragonblood subtype(from dragontouched). This effect doesn't have a listed effect level, so assuming it is 0 it should add fast healing 19 when below half health. If you bind dahlver-nar, you get an at-will shield self effect that gives you effectively DR 50%/-. Every encounter gives you holy fury points that can be spent as swift actions on divine succor. This has no listed effect level, so assuming it is 0 it will heal you 44 points per use. Sacred healing lets you use a turn undead attempt to grant fast healing 3 to all creatures nearby. No effect level is given so assuming it is 0 this will add fast healing 17 to you upon use.

Combined total healing per round: 176 (157 if above half health) + DR 50%/-
4x attacks, each healing you for 24
divine succor healing for 44
fast healing 17 (you have to activate sacred healing for this, so you have to trade healing from attacks one round to activate)
fast healing 19 (only below half health)

This assumes therapeutic mantle works with non-spell effects which is a DM judgement call. The above build also generates a decent amount of healing for allies, and decent damage against enemies. You have 6 additional soulmelds, and two chakra binds(crown and totem) for general utility. Lay on hands can also be used in a pinch for additional healing. The build performs best on a strength>con/cha build. If you have spellcasting allies, one of them can polymorph you into a hydra form for more fast healing if needed. You also have crusader's strike to heal with, though at higher levels I suggest you use a maneuver granting item to pick up revitalizing or rallying strike.

While healing a few hp is hardly noticeable at high levels, healing this much will be. And since your healing can be directed at allies as well, converted into useful effects like damage and dimensional anchor, and combined with your soulmeld/vestige abilities, you will be a credible threat on the battlefield. This build won't win any damage or utility contests, but it should be effective enough for most campaigns.

jok
2015-12-04, 03:19 PM
Cheapest way I could see is polymorph. Hydras get 10+original number of heads fast healing, and HD = number of heads. There's probably a terrasque or something with faster healing, but hydras scale and are available early with no effort.

Hydra polymorphing does not give you fast healing, since it is Ex and polymorph only gives you Ex attacks from the new form.

GilesTheCleric
2015-12-04, 04:34 PM
Hydra polymorphing does not give you fast healing, since it is Ex and polymorph only gives you Ex attacks from the new form.

You're right; thank you for catching my error there. You'd have to use Shapechange.

Psyren
2015-12-04, 05:33 PM
also if you can think of maybe a cheaper way of doing this

Don't use epic items :smalltongue: