PDA

View Full Version : Build me a bodyguard

North
2007-06-09, 12:12 PM
Were going to be starting at level 6 and Ill be playing a Spellscale Sorceror (go dragonbreath rarr) and Leadership looks like a cool feat. Since I got a kickin charisma score.

So what would be a cool cohort to get?

Im thinking a fighter or a cleric would be cool, but im pretty new to dnd so looking for some suggestions and advice for what would be a good mesh.

SilverClawShift
2007-06-09, 12:29 PM
If I had it ready to show off, I'd suggest the Guardian base class from my groups campaign setting :smallbiggrin:

But when you say Bodyguard, what do you mean? A bruiser in sunglasses with "Security" printed on his t-shirt? Or do you just mean a usefull cohort who will keep your tailside out of the fire?

North
2007-06-09, 12:41 PM
If I had it ready to show off, I'd suggest the Guardian base class from my groups campaign setting :smallbiggrin:

But when you say Bodyguard, what do you mean? A bruiser in sunglasses with "Security" printed on his t-shirt? Or do you just mean a usefull cohort who will keep your tailside out of the fire?

The later is what Im looking for, especially since my chars apt to rash and impulsive actions :smallbiggrin: . Although I think the sunglasses might be a prereq:smallcool:

And you can show off thats cool :)

Jack Mann
2007-06-09, 12:53 PM
It would help if we knew what books were allowed. A knight is probably the best "bodyguard" type, since he can actually draw enemy fire for you, but there are other classes that can be useful as cohorts. What's your party like? What roles are already filled?

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-09, 12:55 PM
Cleric is your best bet. Make it a cleric of Bahamut(Tiamat if evil) and make their alignment mirror your own. Now give the Cleric Augment Healing and ask your DM about allowing a Platnium(Radiant) Servant of Bahamut(Pelor). You now have a cleric who can easily heal you, then hit himself with Divine Power + Righteous Might and replace the fighter.

North
2007-06-09, 01:03 PM
For the Party there will be halfelf cleric/wizard heading into a necromancer. Ranger who will go two weapon style. Probably an Elf. And the third guy hasnt officially decided yet possibly cleric or fighter. Ive text him asking about it. Pretty much any book will be allowed I think. As long as we have it.

EDIT:Oh and were doing the module shadowkeep or something for level 6 then doing demonweb pits at level 9 i think. If that helps

Jack_Simth
2007-06-09, 01:03 PM
The later is what Im looking for, especially since my chars apt to rash and impulsive actions :smallbiggrin: . Although I think the sunglasses might be a prereq:smallcool:

And you can show off thats cool :)

Hmm.... how long do you want him to fit the bill?

At 4th (his level), you want, oh, a Human Barbarian with Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertiese, and Improved Trip, wielding a Guisarm (a reach, Trip weapon). A Fighter will also work, and adds Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Spiked Chain), Power Attack, and Cleave (If you can convince your DM that the "drop" in cleave can also be satisified by appling the "Prone" condition to a target - it doesn't actually work, mind). Depending on permitted sources, you may want to replace Improved Trip and Combat Expertese with Stand Still (XPH) and Power Attack.

This guy will make a very effective bodyguard, at least for melee opponents. He will, however, lose effectiveness later on, when opponents don't need to close with you.

A Human Cleric with a similar build will also do very well - if you can find a diety with the War domain and favored weapon Guisarm (or another reach, trip, weapon), it saves a feat - you can have your Cleric get Combat Expertese, Combat Reflexes, and Improved Trip. Otherwise, you'll need to hold off one one of the three for a Martial or Exotic weapon proficiency to get a reach Trip weapon (I reccomend the Spiked Chain). The benefit of the Cleric is spells. For instance, Shield Other (Cleric-2) effectively doubles your HP (at the cost of your Chort's HP - and your Cohort will often have less than you to begin with). Your clerical cohort can self-buff to be more effective at tripping opponents (Bull's Strength comes to mind, as does Enlarge Person from the Strength domain), or you up. Your clerical cohort can also heal you. The Clerical cohort's other benefit is longevity - an extra Cleric in the party remains useful even at higher levels, due to protection/buff/healing spells (and the save or spells), and being able to collaberate with you on Crafting.

Rincewind
2007-06-09, 01:47 PM
A monk, a fighter or a cleric.

Actually, clerics can be a bit problematic, your ideas might oppose, because he'll always have another master, a master he loves more than you; his god. But if your DM is not good, or doesn't care about such details, go for Cleric. He can always Raise, Heal and Summon. :smallsmile:

Prometheus
2007-06-09, 01:52 PM
The Devoted Defender Prestige class from Sword and Fist is about the best bodyguard I've ever seen (technically though, its version 3.0 and hasn't been updated). Perks include an AC bonus equal to level, and the automatic ability to one blow per turn targetting his charge (that would be you). Combined with full plate and an adamantine tower shield, he was a badass body guard for a crime lord and later a communist dictator. Here is another discussion of the class
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?p=12581551

I don't know however if you can get a cohort at high enough level to have a prestige class or whether your DM would allow you to assume one is available (alternatively you could use the SRD Dwarven Defender to block doors and such, but you encountr the same problem). Instead you might have to go with a mercenary-for-hire or NPC helper if you needed one.

Jack_Simth
2007-06-09, 01:52 PM
A monk, a fighter or a cleric.

Actually, clerics can be a bit problematic, your ideas might oppose, because he'll always have another master, a master he loves more than you; his god. But if your DM is not good, or doesn't care about such details, go for Cleric. He can always Raise, Heal and Summon. :smallsmile:
The trick for that is to select a cleric of a diety who is unlikely to have goals opposed to your own, and further the diety's goals as possible.

JellyPooga
2007-06-09, 02:02 PM
Will you have any Followers?

If you do, exert some of that Dragonblood charm on a Kobold Mercenary (Fighter class) who 'commands' a bunch of Kobold Warriors. Give them all Spears and the feat that allows Small chappies to occupy the same space and gives them a bonus for ganging up on people (forget what it's called now). Give the leader chappy some extra-groovy phalanx type stuff to top it all and fling spells over their tiny heads whilst they make a wall of spears to stop anyone getting near you.

Bassetking
2007-06-09, 02:22 PM
Demonweb pits, eh? Aaismar Cleric. Daily uses of "Daylight" Have no greater worth than the Underdark.

I could also REALLY see you benefiting from a Ranger, with the favored enemies "Demon(Evil Outsider)" and whatever classification Monsterous Spiders fall under...

It's the Demonweb pits, pick something that can kick Demon tush, and take out Harpoon spiders without problem.

Rincewind
2007-06-09, 02:58 PM
The trick for that is to select a cleric of a diety who is unlikely to have goals opposed to your own, and further the diety's goals as possible.

I always work alone :cool:

PinkysBrain
2007-06-09, 03:19 PM
I'd say a Paladin 2/Crusader with the Constant Guardian and Dutiful Guardian feats (allows him to step into attack meant for you, just like the Devoted Devender). For instance Paladin 2/Cleric 2/Crusader 1 continuing in RKV although to fit the background of the class you should not be averse of casting animate dead once in a while (among other things RKVs protect necromancers).

Jack_Simth
2007-06-09, 03:25 PM
I always work alone :cool:
Then you're not taking leadership and don't have to worry about your cohort.