PDA

View Full Version : More Brutal Fighter Feats

jjpickar
2007-06-09, 02:10 PM
New Status condition: Impaled. A creature that is impaled has a weapon thrust into its body. As a result of this condition he recives 1 hp damage per round as long as he is impaled, suffers a 10ft. penalty to speed, and is vulnerable to certain feats. If the weapon is removed (Strength check DC 20) the creature takes 1d4 points of damage. If a creature is impaled but the fighter is not currently holding the weapon he may make a melee touch attack to grab hold (provoking an attack of opportunity). If the weapon is a reach weapon, such as a longspear, he does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Impale

Through sheer brute strength you can thrust your sword deep into your opponents body.

Prerequisites: Power Attack, Strength 15

Benefit: After making a successful power attack (sacrificing at least one point) while wielding a sword, a fighter can impale his foe on his sword or any medium or larger sized piercing weapon by making a successful strength check (DC 18). Upon making the check the opponent is considered impaled and takes damage as if from an attack.

Special: A fighter may select this feat as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Brutal Extraction

By ripping his weapon out of an impaled foe a fighter can make the enemy's day a little more painful.

Prerequisites: Impale (Or ranged Impale), Strength 17

Benefit: After impaling an enemy the fighter can remove the weapon in such a way as to cause serious trauma. By making a strength check (DC 18) on an impaled foe the fighter can deal weapon damage as if from an attack with the weapon.

Normal: Removing an impaled weapon deals 1d4 damage to the impaled creature.

Impaling Grapple

Using brutal strength a fighter can easily grapple an impaled creature.

Prerequisites: Impale (or ranged Impale)

Benefit: After successfully impaling a creature (or gaining possession of the weapon impaling a creature) a fighter may use this feat to grapple that creature as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity. Once a hold is established a fighter may deal damage with the weapon as normal by making a successful grapple check. Additionally, if the fighter is able to lift the weight of his opponent over his head (see PHB 162) and he is successfully grappling his opponent may, as a free action, take a DC 15 strength check to lift his opponent over his head and prevent him from moving. He must take this check every round to keep his opponent aloft.

Ranged Impale

By using a a javelin or spear a fighter may impale his opponents from afar.

Prerequisites: Point Blank Shot, Strength 15

Benefit: By making a successful Strength check before a ranged attack with a javelin or spear (DC 20) a fighter may impale a creature on a successful attack result.

Thoughts, suggestion, critisisms, or comments are welcome as always.:smallsmile:

Ceres
2007-06-09, 02:26 PM
You should probably increase the damage quite a bit. These feats are very weak. Doing 1d4 extra damage is not very good at all, and it requiring a DC 18 strength-check is far too much. Low level characters are the only ones who can see any benefit from doing a small amount of extra damage, and they will not have enough strength to beat the DC.

Oh, and one other thing. Perhaps you should change the require weapons from swords (and spears) to for example "medium-size or larger piercing-weapons"? I sure can't see why I shouldn't be able to impale with, say, a pick?

Anyway. A good idea, but requires a lot of work if you want it to be effective in combat.

jjpickar
2007-06-09, 02:35 PM
As for the damage the feat's description says "takes damage as if from an attack" so if a troll was impaled by a fighter's long spear then being impaled would deal 1d8+ 3 (the fighter has strength 16). The 1d4 is for the removing the weapon without the Brutal extraction feat. With the brutal Extraction feat ( and the Impaling grapple feat) this same fighter would deal 1d8+3 damage as well.

As for the type of weapon, I'm not sure how to specify it since you should be able to impale with a longsword ( a slashing weapon) but not a battle axe (also a slashing weapon). But I think I'll change it to swords and medium size or larger piercing weapons.

BarroomBard
2007-06-09, 09:11 PM
I think, mechanically, you can keep all the weapons(except bludgeoning weapons). While not necessarily always "imapling" it would be imbedding none the less.

I almost think it might be TOO powerful. Perhaps if it only impaled on a critical hit. Or not.

But also, on Brutal Extraction, I think the Strength check DC should be higher. It requires Strength 17, so you ALWAYS, automatically, pass a DC 18 check.

And, if I may contribute to the tree
Disembowel
With a flick of the wrist, you cause agonizing pain.

Prerequisites: Impale, Cleave(?)

Benefit: After successfully impaling an enemy, a character can twist her weapon in such a way as to cause tremendous damage. By performing a successful attack (ignoring armor), you can do damage as a critical hit.

jjpickar
2007-06-09, 09:41 PM
I thought strength checks only added strength bonus.:smallconfused:

(Checks SRD)

Yep you only apply the modifier. The guy with the 17 strength needs to roll a 15 to succeed.

Nice feat, I suggest making brutal extraction the prerequisite since it sorta follows that line of reasoning.

Here's another:

Pinned to the wall

By impaling a foe against walls a fighter can eliminate threats easily.

Prerequisites: Impale (or Ranged Impale)

Benefit: If an impale check is 23 or better and the opponent is adjacent to a wall or ceiling he is now attached to that surface. The strength DC to remove the weapon is now 23 but the creature is counted as if he used the brutal extraction feat if he pulls the weapon out.

Normal: The DC to remove is 20

Special: If the Impaler is in the air (or a significantly elevated position) and the impalee is on the ground then the ground may be used as a surface. A fighter may select this feat as one of his fighter bonus feats.

BarroomBard
2007-06-09, 10:46 PM
*smacks self*

You're right. I was being retarded.

SurlySeraph
2007-06-10, 01:42 AM
The vulnerabilities entailed by being impaled should be made more specific. Being unable to move from your square but able to take any other action would work. Also, for impaling someone while holding them in the air, you could make this feat more powerful by having the impalee take 1d4 damage for every round he is impaled, but have the impaler need to make a DC 15 or so Strength check to hold the target up (impalee escapes if the impaler fails the strength check).

Setra
2007-06-10, 02:07 AM
Nice

Impaling is always cool.

I'm just curious (I did speed read a little, so I apologize if this was already answered)...

But can you Power Attack > Impale > Extract in one turn?

Icewalker
2007-06-10, 02:47 AM
These look fun. I might use em.

gooddragon1
2007-06-10, 02:56 AM
Probably add CON damage from bloodloss or enemy takes penalties on all skill checks and attack rolls from pain until they recieve healing. I'd also like to see a maneuver called brutalize where you can use an impale to break bones or sever limbs causing lots more damage.

Nebo_
2007-06-10, 08:13 AM
These don't fit well with some interpretations of HP. When HP is like battle stamina, not wounds, these feats don't fit thematically.

jjpickar
2007-06-10, 05:12 PM
Lots of questions to answer.:smallsmile:

SurelySeraph: I like the idea of holding another person in the air I'll incorporate that into the description of Impaling grapple. As for the penalties for being impaled I think 1 hp damage per round of impaling and maybe 10ft of movement lost to represent the pain of having a weapon in your body.

Setra: Yep

gooddragon1; See my answer for SurelySeraph and a Brutalize Feat will be forthcoming.

Brutalize

By manipulating the weapon impaled in your foe you may be able to increase the penalties associated with impaling.

Prerequisites: Impale, Strength 17, Brutal Extraction

Benefit: If the user of this feat is in holding a weapon impaled in a foe he may as a part of a Brutal Extraction opt to leave the weapon in and forgoe damge to instead increase the move penalty of impaling by 10ft. (though the creature's move speed may not be dropped past 5ft.), apply a -4 penalty to attacks, skill checks, and fortitude saves, or cause the per round damage to 5 hp per round.

Special: A fighter may choose this feat as one of his fighter feats.

Demented
2007-06-10, 05:31 PM
These don't fit well with some interpretations of HP. When HP is like battle stamina, not wounds, these feats don't fit thematically.

It could be argued that being impaled really take the 'battle stamina' out of you. =P

gooddragon1
2007-06-10, 05:38 PM
Lots of questions to answer.:smallsmile:

SurelySeraph: I like the idea of holding another person in the air I'll incorporate that into the description of Impaling grapple. As for the penalties for being impaled I think 1 hp damage per round of impaling and maybe 10ft of movement lost to represent the pain of having a weapon in your body.

Setra: Yep

gooddragon1; See my answer for SurelySeraph and a Brutalize Feat will be forthcoming.

Brutalize

By manipulating the weapon impaled in your foe you may be able to increase the penalties associated with impaling.

Prerequisites: Impale, Strength 17, Brutal Extraction

Benefit: If the user of this feat is in holding a weapon impaled in a foe he may as a part of a Brutal Extraction opt to leave the weapon in and forgoe damge to instead increase the move penalty of impaling by 10ft. (though the creature's move speed may not be dropped past 5ft.), apply a -4 penalty to attacks, skill checks, and fortitude saves, or cause the per round damage to 5 hp per round.

Special: A fighter may choose this feat as one of his fighter feats.

Nice job :smallsmile:. As for the battle stamina thing, a gaping hole in the lung can cause people to lose stamina, some of these feats may even be useful against undead, because while they don't feel pain, the damage done to the body still hampers performance in battle.

jjpickar
2007-06-10, 06:23 PM
More feats. These are getting pretty evil.:smallamused:

Dual Impale

By using a spear or other pole arm a fighter may impale more than one foe.

Prerequisites: Impale, Strength 19

Benefit: If the fighter wields a spear and successfully impales the creature in front of him he may impale any enemy behind the first if: 1) the creature is directly behind the creature impaled, 2) the original attack roll beats the second creature's AC, and 3) the attacker succeeds a DC 20 Strength check. If he succeeds in impaling both foes the attacker may use the following feats against both enemies: Brutal Extraction, Brutalize, and Pinned to the Wall.

Special: If the attacker has the Impaling grapple feat and he can lift the total weight of his two opponents he may take an attack action to lift them over his head and slam them in the ground behind him by making a DC 25 Strength check. This will deal 1d6+2 times the attacker's strength modifier to the first opponent and 2d6+2 times the attacker's strength modifier. Both creatures will also be on the opposite side of the attacker. A fighter may select this feat as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-06-10, 07:58 PM
This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

jjpickar
2007-06-10, 10:59 PM
Now on a different tack...
This may be too powerful but I think it is pretty cool nonetheless.
Shrapnel Sunder

Cause the enemy's weapon to shatter into dangerous and deadly projectiles.

Prerequisites: Power Attack, Improved Sunder Base Attack Bonus 6

Benefit: Upon successfully sundering an opponent's weapon with power attack the shattered weapon's debris sprays an area in a 20 ft. cone originating from the attacker. The cone deals 1d6 per amount of damage added to the attack through power attack (Max 10d6) Reflex DC for half is the 13+ the fighter's strength modifier.

There may already be a feat that does this. But I can't remember ever seeing one.
Continuing Sunder

By striking the blade just right a fighter can not only destroy his enemy's weapon but attack as well.

Prerequisites:Improved Sunder, Base Attack Bonus 5

Benefit: A fighter who selects this feat may after successfully sundering his opponent's weapon deal damage to the enemy normally if the attack roll for the sunder is high enough to beat the enemy's armor class. At level 15, the fighter gains an extra attack at a -5 bonus. At level 20, the fighter gains a third attack at a -10 penalty.

Special: This feat may be used in conjunction with Shrapnel Sunder. A fighter may select this feat as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Overwhelming Rush

A fighter can bull rush his opponents into oblivion.

Prerequisites: Improved Bull Rush, Base Attack Bonus 5

Benefit: If a fighter successfully bull rushes his opponent then that opponent must take a Fortitude save DC 13+ the fighter's strength modifier or be dazed for one round. If the fighters opponent is bull rushed into a wall then a failed save dazes the opponent for 1d4 rounds.

Batter Up!

A fighter can move his enemies with a wave of his weapon.

Prerequisites: Improved Bull Rush, Strength 17

Benefit: If the fighter makes a single attack with a two handed weapon and deals damage successfully, he may bull rush his opponent with his weapon. A successful bull rush is adjudicated as normal except the fighter does not move with his opponent as with a normal bull rush. A fighter may use this in conjunction with Overwhelming Rush. (This combo is similar to how :roy: took out :miko: in the throne room.)

Special: A Fighter may select this feat as one of his fighter bonus feats.