PDA

View Full Version : Candle of Invocation

Lostintransit
2007-06-09, 03:45 PM
Okay people, stupid question Time!:smallbiggrin:

Does the +2 caster levels for preping spells stack?

I'm planning on playing a 13th level cleric tomorrow and I was pondering a couple of Candles to bumb up my level to 19th to get access to 9th spells to kill the insane uber Bad dudes we have to fight!

Regards

Lost

Gavin Sage
2007-06-09, 03:47 PM
Generally speaking bonuses from the same source do not stack. And since it makes that item even more cheese ridden I'd say no or hope that's all the Candles your getting ever.

Toliudar
2007-06-09, 03:53 PM
It's not a named bonus of any kind, but it depends on how you read the phrase operates as if two levels higher for purposes of determining spells per day. The question is, two levels higher than what? If it's "two levels higher than his actual level", the candles' effects won't stack. If it's "two levels higher than his current effective caster level"...then an already powerful item gets even more stupidly abusable.

As a DM, I'd definitely house rule that the effects of multiple candles don't stack. But then, if you can afford multiple candles, just gate in some Solars and get them to help you out.

PinkysBrain
2007-06-09, 03:57 PM
No, and you are better off gating in a balor anyway :p

Jasdoif
2007-06-09, 03:58 PM
It's the same magical bonus from the same source. It doesn't stack unless its entry says it stacks, which it doesn't.

Lostintransit
2007-06-09, 04:07 PM
It's not a named bonus of any kind, but it depends on how you read the phrase operates as if two levels higher for purposes of determining spells per day. The question is, two levels higher than what? If it's "two levels higher than his actual level", the candles' effects won't stack. If it's "two levels higher than his current effective caster level"...then an already powerful item gets even more stupidly abusable.

As a DM, I'd definitely house rule that the effects of multiple candles don't stack. But then, if you can afford multiple candles, just gate in some Solars and get them to help you out.

Well the way I read it was that it gave you an effective +2 boost on your level. So 2 candles would give +4 etc. Also I can't gate in any creatures because my GM has effectivley banned the gate spell.

If it doesn't stack It's not that much of a problem as 15th level caster still lets me have 8th level spells.

Regards

Lost

PinkysBrain
2007-06-09, 04:22 PM
What you can do is get one candle of invocation and one incense of mediation. You will get maximized 8th level spells.

Lostintransit
2007-06-09, 04:28 PM
What you can do is get one candle of invocation and one incense of mediation. You will get maximized 8th level spells.

Thats a good idea! Any idea on items and spell list? I'm 13th level.

Regards

Lost