PDA

View Full Version : Shock Trooper Question

Swordguy
2007-06-09, 05:10 PM
Setting up a "boss battle" in my campaign...

Can the Shock Trooper "shift BAB penalty to AC when Power Attacking" ability be used in conjunction with the charge during a Ride-by Attack?

Shock Trooper says "at the end of a charge...", but Ride-by allows you to make the attack that normally goes on the end of a charge in the middle of it...

Jasdoif
2007-06-09, 06:02 PM
I don't see why not. Ride-By Attack allows you to continue moving after the charge is complete; you still start with a charge that ends with you making a melee attack.

Matthew
2007-06-10, 12:50 PM
Yeah. However, as was being discussed a few days back, both Rider and Mount appear to need to use the Charge Action to use Ride By Attack.

Swordguy
2007-06-10, 01:09 PM
Yeah. However, as was being discussed a few days back...

Sorry I missed that. I don't have time to check the forums much anymore. Got a job casting minis for Iron Wind Metals, and I'm there about 24/7.

both Rider and Mount appear to need to use the Charge Action to use Ride By Attack.

What possible difference could that make? Is it just to prevent somone from charging with the mount, doing a ride-by, dismounting as a free action and gaining a full attack somehow? I would have assumed that this was the only action the horse/rider combo could take that round anyway... :smallconfused:

Matthew
2007-06-10, 01:20 PM
Well, basically, Ride By Attack only works if the Character uses the Charge Action, as stated in the feat (crazy, but true). So, when the Mount uses the Charge Action, but the Rider does not he only gains the benefits listed in the Mounted Combat Rules (and is not necessarily considered charging himself).

Basically, it means a Mounted Character cannot take full advanatge of the Charge if he uses a Move Action [to do something], whilst his Mount Charges, then uses a standard Action to Attack at the end of the round.

It's terminology stuff, really, but for interacting with other Feats whilst mounted, it's important to know if the Character and his Mount are charging or if just the Mount is.

[Edit] Forgot to say - sounds like an interesting job. Should I just Google them or is there a specific Website?

Swordguy
2007-06-10, 11:42 PM
http://www.ironwindmetals.com

We do Battletech, Shadowrun, Crimson Skies, and the old Ral Partha minis.

Matthew
2007-06-11, 07:14 PM
Nice. I had a browse, some interesting stuff there. Pity there are no images of the Historical Miniatures.