PDA

View Full Version : The Best Performance?

Ali
2007-06-09, 05:59 PM
What is the best type of the Perform skill to put ranks in?

Perform (Act), Perform (Chant)... e.t.c.

Has anyone had particular fun with their perform skill? What is the best type of performing to specialize in as a bard?

ocato
2007-06-09, 06:15 PM
Well, I am a fan of the feat Versatile Performer, which gives extra performances equal to your INT mod. Also, using 2 performances together grants a +2. However, there are different schools of thought based on the magical instruments that grant bonuses, and the idea of performing with your gear stolen. If your gear is lost, not being able to perform because your lute went with it can suck. However, singing means no bonus from a masterwork instrument. I like to think that Versatile Performer makes these concerns fairly null, and actually improves the situation, where if you have perform (sing) and perform (string) you can sing and play your masterwork instrument and start stacking the different kinds of bonuses (Masterwork and VP are different kinds of bonuses so they stack).

Yechezkiel
2007-06-09, 06:16 PM
I like playing elderly, absent-minded/senile bards who mutter and ramble stories about things that never actually happened to them. I call it, Perform (Back in My Day...), or Speach/Oratory/etc.

Call Me Siggy
2007-06-09, 06:21 PM
I've always liked Perform (oratory). Makes a nice combination with the Divine Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantDivineBard) variant, and that with the Evangelist PrC from Complete Divine makes great RP fodder.

Example characters for build:
-An ancient Greek/Roman poet. Ask the DM if the divine flavor of the class can be changed to more of a gaining fame thing instead of converting unfaithful.
-A televangelist. In D&D. Works amazingly with a humor-based campaign.

Bauglir
2007-06-09, 07:57 PM
For non-bards, it's probably Perform (Dance), since I think it has more prestige classes that require it specifically than any other. Plus, it doesn't matter if you've been stripped of all your gear, you can still do it. However, for bards, I have no idea.

Valdyr
2007-06-09, 07:59 PM
Perform (Limericks).

Without a doubt.

It's in the PHB. For all those times you meet an Orc from Nantucket.

Tharivol123
2007-06-09, 08:37 PM
The bard in our current party has what we have dubbed Perform (One Man Show). He put ranks into sing, oratory, and dance, the end result being this massive 2 hour epic story he tells with musical interuldes and interpetive dance. Insane stacked bonuses, a good charisma bonus, and having never rolled less than an 18 makes it one of the best things I've seen come from a bard. If our gear is stolen/missing, there is no negative effect plus he can just perform one of the three in a pinch.

Ranis
2007-06-09, 08:55 PM
Perform (Sushi Chef). To be combined with Profession (Sushi Chef).

Ali
2007-06-10, 07:06 AM
Is it worth dumping a skill like Spellcraft to have two different types of perform?

Skjaldbakka
2007-06-10, 07:17 AM
*mind control* Take Versatile Performer *mind control*

Seriously, I wouldn't dump the spellcraft. While I do tend to play casters without spellcraft, if you had spellcraft originally, you probably had a reason.

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-10, 07:27 AM
If you're planning on playing a bard, pick a Perform skill that doesn't rely on an instrument.

So you can, you know, fight and sing at the same time.

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-06-10, 07:33 AM
Speaking of Versatile Performer, the feat text says "Pick a number of Perform categories equal to your Intelligence bonus (minimum 1) ... you are treated as having a number of ranks in those skills equal to the highest number of ranks you have in any Perform category." (Emphasis mine) Assuming I have an INT modifier of +x and max ranks in Perform (foo), could I - within the rules - assign my Versatile Performer feat to x perform skills that aren't Perform (foo) and thus be treated as having max ranks in x+1 Perform skills for the price of one (and a feat)? Or is there something I've missed that says that Perform (foo) has to be one of those x perform skills?

Reinboom
2007-06-10, 07:36 AM
I believe you are correct, Lòkki, based on that text.
May I know what book this feat is from? This sounds like a fun option.

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-10, 07:41 AM
I believe you are correct, Lòkki, based on that text.
May I know what book this feat is from? This sounds like a fun option.

Without even bothering to look: Complete Adventurer.

Drider
2007-06-10, 07:59 AM
Perform: Air Guitar...along with
Profession: kick that guys ass
Craft: superweapon in 10 minutes
Profession: king of the world

PinkysBrain
2007-06-10, 08:06 AM
If you're planning on playing a bard, pick a Perform skill that doesn't rely on an instrument.
On the other hand, with one of the instruments from complete adventurer (and possibly a metamagic rod of still spell) you could be casting spells while performing too.

Ali
2007-06-10, 08:10 AM
So... can you can take the Versatile Performer feat with 10 or 11 int and still get treated as having maximum ranks in a perform other than the one you actually have put maximum ranks in?

Suvarov454
2007-06-10, 09:07 AM
I always wanted to take Perform(amusing anecdotes). All performances start with the phrase, "No kidding, there we were..." and then go on to describe a prior encounter, emphasising the hilarity and/or absurdity of the situation. Ocasionally you'd start with "No kidding, there they were..." and then talk about someone else.

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-06-10, 09:13 AM
^ ^ If my interpretation is correct, then yes. Hell, you could do it with 1 INT, since the minimum number of skills you can apply Versatile Performer to is 1, as stated in the feat text. However, if my interpretation is wrong, then there's no point taking the feat with anything less than 14 INT, as you'd be taking the feat to be treated as having maximum ranks in 1 Perform skill... provided you already have maximum ranks in that Perform skill.

Hm.

ocato
2007-06-10, 11:34 AM
It is one additional skill. So if you have <14 int, and 9 ranks in Perform (sing), you can pick up 1 additional performance, so perform (dance) or whatever tickles your fancy. If you have 14+, you get two more, so perform (dance) and perform (shadow puppets), etc etc etc.

Look into the Complete Adventurer. No one would buy a book called the Complete Bard (except for me), but it's Bard gold.

Jimp
2007-06-10, 12:18 PM
Try out Perform (Interpretive Dance). Depending on how people's Int or Wis checks turn out, everyone may have a different opinion at the end of it!
Also, it would be hilarious to try and explain how it would grant bonuses. Maybe you could do a particularly inspiring prance symbolising success?

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-06-10, 01:38 PM
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail168.html

Interpretive dance is a weapon in and of itself. 12d6 damage, I think. And a Sanity check.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-11, 04:13 PM
Tumble can be used as a perform so basically you get 2 skills in one :smallwink: