PDA

View Full Version : Help on a Sorcerer build

Tharivol123
2007-06-09, 07:10 PM
A group of friends and I recently decided to start up a new D&D campaign, using 3.0 rules and rolling our stats. We each made our characters independent from the rest of the group with the DM supervising. The problem with this is, in the past, we almost always had a team of nothing but melee types and no support characters. I decided to fix this and play a blasting style Half-elf sorcerer with high dex, con, and cha scores (scores are 10, 16, 14, 13, 7, 17).
Here's the problem. The rest of the party are an Elf ranger with similar dex and almost no str/con, a bard who is okay with a rapier and is actually our best melee member, and a cleric whose greatest feature is an insane turning check (he's the second best tank in our group and he has a total 16 HP at level 3). I have the feeling that if things don't improve my lovely 13 HP aren't going to last long in too many more fights.
So here's the advice I'm seeking. We're doing our level buys for level 3 next week. Should I take improved initiative to give me an init bonus of 7 (best in the group) so I can do some decent damage before the enemy acts, or should I take maximize spell and stay near the middle of the group for initiative but deal higher damage on a more consistent basis?
My main concern is which one will help avoid the encounter becoming a melee fight the best. With only 13 HP and +1 melee attack bonus and the only effective melee fighter being the bard (of all people) I know any serious melee engagement could turn into a TPK with just a few bad rolls.
Thanks.

Edit: Since I'm sure it will come up, my current first level spells are Mage Armor and Magic Missile. Ray of Enfeeblement will be my next spell (Avoiding Shocking Grasp at the moment because of the range)

greenknight
2007-06-09, 07:23 PM
You're playing a blaster, which generally isn't a good choice for a spellcaster. If you're ok with that, fine, but otherwise check out Logic Ninja's Guide to being Batman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500). I think that would also solve most of your melee issues. Since you're playing 3.0 rules, the PHB and Tome and Blood should be your main references - read through them often, and carefully. Mage of the Arcane Order is probably the best PrC for you, but that means you'll need two Metamagic Feats (Cooperative spell being one) plus the Arcane Preparation Feat to qualify. On the plus side, you do get two bonus Metamagic Feats as you gain levels in the PrC. If you do take the Mage of the Arcane Order PrC, try to get your DM to giving you an extra spell known when the class grants a new spell.

Tharivol123
2007-06-09, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the help, and the Mage of the Arcane Order looks like something I could do. I talked to the some of the other guys and part of our problems with melee will be fixed thanks to the level 3 feats we're doing.
I will taking improved initiative now and metamagic feats at the next feat buys. Our cleric is taking toughness so he has decent HP and the bard will be taking weapon finesse like I recommended so he can actually make use of that Dex bonus and having a rapier. The ranger, I think, is a lost cause since he insists on taking combat reflexes despite being a Dex/Ranged build and having little chance of the attacks of opportunity actually hitting.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-06-09, 08:38 PM
My suggestions:

1) Mage of the Arcane Order is a VERY GOOD PrC for Sorcerers, however you have to take the feat Arcane Preparation to qualify for it. This will ease your way into Archmage later in levels

2) Go Human. Grab Arcane Preparation (which is a metamagic feat in 3.0) and Arcane Preparation. You've met the requirements of "Arcane Preparation and one other Metamagic feat". If he won't let you get away with Arcane Preparation being a metamagic feat, grab some useful feat. Either way, you can enter at level 5.

3) Once you have finished with MotAO, segue straight into Archmage if possible, or dip into another full spellcasting PrC otherwise.

Solo
2007-06-09, 10:30 PM
After MotAO, dump 5 ranks into Profession: Gambler and make sure you have 10 ranks in K. Arcana and take a 4 level dip in Fatespinner.

Lemur
2007-06-09, 11:19 PM
Taking maximize spell is pointless at level 3. You won't even be able to use it on any spells you can cast at that level, so definitely don't take it.

Even though you're a blaster, you should seriously consider looking at battlefield control spells as well. This is important, because your party sounds like it has a glass jaw, and being able to prevent enemies from closing to melee should let the party use ranged combat safely. Grease and Web are generally considered good for this kind of thing.

At your level, you don't really need more than one damage spell at each spell level, so long as you choose the better blaster spells. I'd avoid shocking grasp period- it's never going to be worth the risk for you. When you hit level 4, I wouldn't bother with taking damage spells that aren't Scorching Ray.

Zaeron
2007-06-10, 10:50 AM
At your level, you don't really need more than one damage spell at each spell level, so long as you choose the better blaster spells. I'd avoid shocking grasp period- it's never going to be worth the risk for you. When you hit level 4, I wouldn't bother with taking damage spells that aren't Scorching Ray.

I'm pretty sure Scorching Ray is 3.5 only. If I remember right, level 1 and level 2 spells in 3.0 were absolutely miserable for blaster builds. You'll be stuck using magic missile pretty much until 6th when you finally get fireball or lightning bolt.