PDA

View Full Version : Ragnarok Online Campaign: Help Required

Korias
2007-06-09, 08:36 PM
Ok, one of my RL friends has wanted to put a Ragnarok Online campaign into motion for a while. The 5 of us are debating on how to do this. Heres the 2 Ideas we have.

Idea One:
Start from scratch, make a whole new system. Make Two Levels: Character and Class. Character levels increase HD, Stats, and other such things. Class Increases your BAB, Saves, and gives abilities such as weapon proficiencies. We decided on a 10 Step "Novice Class", and then you branch out into other classes. Each one is 20 Levels long. Note that EXP is 2x easier to get.

Idea Two:
Revamp the Current DND System. Use Warrior as the Novice, then use the PC Classes for the 1st Set of classes. Note that EXP is around 5x easier to get.

Now, what we need is a decision, and a way to implement them once we have the decision. Any thoughts?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-09, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't make novices warriors, I'd just make them commonersl. I myself would just use a few revamps of the current D&D rules. If you wanted ragnarok online with a set of rules other than D&D, I'd play ragnarok online.

I myself, for the melee types, just use martial adepts, their manuevers being something like their skills, and instead of readied manuevers maybe give a mana system that regenerates depending on some mental stat.

Also, there'd need to be a grand cross manuever for crusaders, that would be awesome.

Korias
2007-06-09, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't make novices warriors, I'd just make them commonersl. I myself would just use a few revamps of the current D&D rules. If you wanted ragnarok online with a set of rules other than D&D, I'd play ragnarok online.

I myself, for the melee types, just use martial adepts, their manuevers being something like their skills, and instead of readied manuevers maybe give a mana system that regenerates depending on some mental stat.

Also, there'd need to be a grand cross manuever for crusaders, that would be awesome.

Well, we're limited to the Following Books: PHB, DMG, MMs 1-2. No Tome of Battle, so No Manuvers.

Fact is, only two of the group Plays RO. Me, and the Suggester. Everybody else either doesnt have a computer or doesnt have the time to download the client.

Well, I like your fact on the Mana system. Maybe something akin to regenerating powerpoints?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-09, 09:34 PM
Oh, I didn't realise there were restrictions. I thought you were talking about a whole new system using rules or something like that, and I thought all books might be allowed. That's just how I would have done it.

Korias
2007-06-09, 09:40 PM
By all means, Yes. But as far as a new system, anything can be put in if we knew what it was. If were Revamping, were stuck with those books.

Iron_Mouse
2007-06-10, 01:02 PM
Simulating the RO class system is probably not easy...very difficult (or impossible) if you want it balanced.

The most easy way would be to simply ignore the novice class (it covers only the most basic training anyway) and start with "1st job" characters at level one. Treat the 2nd jobs as prestige classes and that's it.

Korias
2007-06-10, 10:53 PM
To be honest, we did have that Idea. However, it was shot down by the majority, as they wanted to play the Novice class. While I do agree with you that the Novice is Basic Training, keep in mind that its also the class that you can be stuck with until level 45 if your going for a Super Novice. How would you go with the Gunslinger? Or the Merchant? What classes would those take?

Angafirith
2007-06-10, 11:42 PM
Create your own base class!

Merchant
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Identify|

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Increased Weight Limit (*1.5)|

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Discount 12%|

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Overcharge 12%|

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Mammonite (2)|

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Improved Identify (1/day)|

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Increased Weight Limit (*1.75)|

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6|Discount 18%|

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7|Overcharge 18%|

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|Mammonite (4)|

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Increased Weight Limit (*2.0)|

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Improved Identify (2/day)|

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9|Discount 24%|

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Overcharge 24%|

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Mammonite (8)|

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Improved Identify (3/day)|

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8
Class Skills: Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Profession (Merchant) (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Class Skills
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Merchant:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A merchant is proficient with all simple weapons, plus the Throwing Axe, Handaxe, Light Hammer, Battleaxe, Flail, Warhammer, Greataxe, Great Club, and Heavy Flail.
Identify
At first level, a merchant becomes aware of the special properties of certain items. A merchant adds her class level to any Appraise checks to determine the value of an item.
Improved Identify
At sixth level, a merchant is so adept at identifying things that they can, once per day, identify the properties of a magic item. This increases to twice per day at 13th level and thrice per day at 20th level.
Increase Weight Limit
At second level, a merchant learns how to carry his goods more easily. The limits for light, medium, heavy loads are 1.5 times higher than usual. This bonus increases to 1.75 at 7th level and 2.00 at 12th level.
Discount
By third level, a merchant has learned special tricks about how to get special prices from salespeople. They can make a Profession (merchant) check in order to get a certain percentage off of any goods they purchase. The DC for this check is 15 + the desired percentage. The maximum level of discount starts at 12%, increases to 18% at 9th level, and reaches the maximum of 24% at 15th level.
Overcharge
By fourth level, a merchant has learned how to play up the value of an item to get more money for it. They can make a Profession (merchant) check in order to markup an item they are selling by a certain percentage. The DC for this check is 15 + the desired percentage. The maximum level of overcharge starts at 12%, increases to 18% at 10th level, and reaches the maximum of 24% at 16th level.
Mammonite
At fifth level, a merchant's soul, weapon, and wealth become one. She can choose to add 1d6 to a successful melee attack at the expense of 1 pp. Initially, only 2d6 can be added in this way. The limit increases to 4d6 at 11th level and 8d6 at 18th level.

I've tried my best to ensure that it fits the merchant class in RO as I remember it. I'm not really good with balance, so any feedback is appreciated.

Behold_the_Void
2007-06-11, 12:39 AM
Really, just skip the Novice. Novices suck, there's no reason to make your players slog through that. Playing as Novices is a chore, not a good time.

I suggest the base/prestige classes for the 1st and 2nd job changes. That's the best you'll get within the system. Just make the prestige classes objectively better than the normal base classes.

Gunslinger and Ninja should be as good as a base-to-prestige class progression, since they have no 2nd job class.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-06-11, 12:39 AM
Looks great! Now, if you could work in the "Cart Revolution" ability...

Iron_Mouse
2007-06-11, 06:08 AM
To be honest, we did have that Idea. However, it was shot down by the majority, as they wanted to play the Novice class. While I do agree with you that the Novice is Basic Training, keep in mind that its also the class that you can be stuck with until level 45 if your going for a Super Novice. How would you go with the Gunslinger? Or the Merchant? What classes would those take?
Well you could let them play as level 1 Commoners (the class) with no skills yet. When they do the jobchange (might happen anytime...let them fight a few Porings or Lunatics beforehand?), they replace their HD with the new one, get BAB, saves and skills.
Super Novice is tough but it might be simulated by simply reaching level 2 (1000 xp) and then change. I wouldn't go further than that.

Keep in mind that Novices are really, REALLY weak, compared to D&D classes (even the Commoner). They can't do anything and they get killed by all but the weakest monsters. Fighting and killing a Poporing shouldn't be a problem for an ordinary person but for a low novice, it's suicide (unless you have über equipment and/or use tons of healing stuff).
Also keep in mind that they don't get penalized for dying (losing exp starts after the first jobchange). I doubt you want your players die all the time. If you want that death means DEAD then avoid too much Novice...

For classes, create new ones. Angafirith did a good start. I would like to help, but I suck at class design.

However, I do think that most active (RO-) skills could be simulated by "usable X/encounter" class features. That way, you don't have to keep track of points and simply assume that the character recharge their "SP" between battles. Though others should better be "X/hour" or "X/day". Asura would be 1/day then.
"X" is a number given by the class, maybe with a bonus from a relevant ability modifier.

First Aid
Use a full round action to heal 1 HP. This ability can be used 1/hour. Every character knows First Aid at the beginning of the game.

Reinboom
2007-06-11, 06:28 AM
I would make a separate talent system altogether for it, using points, for each class.
Base it off a spell point system and work down from the casters first, they are the most obvious. Then, set up the system and arrange it among all classes and make it recharge at the end of an encounter. Of course, casters will need huge adjustments though.

Also, Commoners with a special ability only usable as a commoner:
Play Dead
Standard action to active, you can't take any actions. You can't be targeted by spells or effects, you automatically succeed on all your saving throws, you have DR ∞/—, and you can't be the target of any attacks.

Behold_the_Void
2007-06-11, 02:45 PM
Actually, here's something that might work. Every level give the class a certain amount of special abilities, as if they were gaining bonus feats. That gives them certain abilities each level, which can be x times/certain time limit or however else you want to do it. Then, make rules for all of the abilities. Keep the advanced classes as prestige classes, so people can enter them whenever they want (and have the prerequisites to do so) in order to advance to higher abilities, but cannot go back and take any other class. That'd probably work pretty well.

Angafirith
2007-06-11, 07:01 PM
You know, I had mostly forgotten about RO... but seeing this made me realize how cool it would be to have some d20 versions of RO monsters.

In front of you stands a pink blob with two black stones for eyes and a catlike smile. It hops towards you. It pauses five feet away and looks at you, then turns around and hops away. As you watch it leave, you realize that it has taken your lunch.

Poring
Small Plant
Hit Dice 1d8 (4)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
Initiative +0
Armor Class 10; touch 10; flat-footed 10
BAB/Grapple +0/-4
Attack Slam +0 melee (1d6)
Full-Attack Slam +0 melee (1d6)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities Kleptomania
Saves Fort +2 Ref +0 Will +0
Abilities Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int --, Wis --, Cha 12
Environment Temperate Plains
Challenge Rating 1/3
Treasure Jellopy (100%), stolen items (see Kleptomania below)

Kleptomania
Porings have an uncontrollable urge to steal anything that is not nailed down. When not engaged in battle, a poring that spots an unattended item or other valuable will jump on top of it and pull it into its body. A poring is treated as a type I bag of holding for this purpose. If an item is too big to fit inside the poring because of other items it contains, it digests items in FIFO order until there is room.

Jellopy: This mostly useless faux gem sells for roughly 3 copper pieces.

Korias
2007-06-11, 10:41 PM
Dude. Nice.

But wouldnt it be an Ooze instead of a Plant?

Also, Thanks for the Merchant class. Weve decided to scrap the Novice Class (Warrior=Novice) as a PC Class, and changed the following around:
Fighter=Swordsman
Cleric=Alcoylte
Rogue=Theif
Druid/Ranger Combo=Mage Archer
Wizard=Mage
Monk=Taekwon Boy/Girl

PRCs changed too, but I dont feel like listing them. Also, a few custom ones. I'll probably work Cart Revolution into the Merchant class too, and thanks for the help.