PDA

View Full Version : bladesinger druid

Prax4788
2015-12-04, 07:42 AM
has anyone tried to do a bladesinger/druid multi class build?

any reason you couldn't use bladesong in wildshape?

Malifice
2015-12-04, 07:51 AM
any reason you couldn't use bladesong in wildshape?

Can you waltz as a bear?

Pretty DM dependant, but it doesnt break anything.

Prax4788
2015-12-04, 07:52 AM
outside of fluff reasons with rules as written is it legal?

Malifice
2015-12-04, 08:07 AM
outside of fluff reasons with rules as written is it legal?

Depends on your DMs interpretation of 'you can use any abilities that your new form is capable of'.

Some DMs will say there is nothing in the mechanics that says no. Others will say that you cant move with sufficient precision (youre supposed to be dancing after all) when wildshaped into (say) a giant crocodile. Your new form doest really accomodate doing the blade-dance boogaloo.

You cant exactly breakdance as a dire wolf or crocodile can you?

Prax4788
2015-12-04, 08:13 AM
i didn't find anything in the fluff or discretion of the ability that says he performs a dance to activate these ability's
i think dancer is just there to show they do elegant movements

the fluff does however mention sword fighting so there is that

Malifice
2015-12-04, 08:42 AM
i didn't find anything in the fluff or discretion of the ability that says he performs a dance to activate these ability's
i think dancer is just there to show they do elegant movements

the fluff does however mention sword fighting so there is that

The ability reflects the mechanical benefits of 'bladesong' which is a martial art that incorporates dancing. You cant be encumberd, using a shield, heavy armor etc.

Those who practice the bladesong appear as if they are dancing when they fight. Their movements seem misleadingly slow and elegant, deflecting opponents' blades while lazily drifting back to score hits themselves.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bladesinger

Your DM may have issues with a giant crocodile or a dire wolf having the same grace and range of movement as an elf.

Assume you can waltz, salsa, balet or do a martial arts kata. Now imagine doing the same thing as a crocodile or spider.

Dalebert
2015-12-04, 12:26 PM
Strictly RAW, yes, you can. There is fluff description of what it is but none of the clearly-expressed mechanical limitations prevent you from doing it in wildshape. And wildshape goes to extra effort to make it clear that you don't lose (most) things when you do it barring some very specific exceptions. You can come up with fluff of what bladesong is like for different creatures if you want. That said, I would understand if a DM wanted to house-rule against it and you should ask and get an answer before you make a decision.

I would suggest you consider a druid / monk combo. Just one level of monk is eventually up to +5 to AC with wisdom which is already your primary stat.