PDA

View Full Version : Evolution Hombrew Design Idea (Criticism + Help Wanted)

Lord SpikyHat
2007-06-09, 09:18 PM
Well, I saw a closed Evolution campaign recruiting thread, and I became fascinated with it. However, the rules on the link in the thread witheld information about how to actually play the game completely. So, I decided to make a homebrew version. It's not complete, I just put in the basics for now.

Evolution:

Step 1: Visualize your race. Is it fast, strong, smart? Can it swim or fly? What special abilities does it have? Does it resemble a species from planet earth? Think of what you want your species to function as.

Step 2: Now that you know the abilities that you want for your race, you need to give your race its physical characteristics. You start with one point in each of your four basic stats:
Brains: 1. Affects how quickly your race learns new things. Each point gives you a learning point (LP) for each turn.
Strength: 1. Affects the physical stature of your race. Each point gives you a project point (PP) each turn.
Agility: 1. Affects how quickly your race moves. Each point allows your race to move roughly five feet per second. Each point of agility is equated as giving your race one Movement Point (MP) each turn. However, for swimming races, divide the points by 1.5, rounding down. For flying races, divide the points by 2, rounding down.
Toughness: 1. Affects how well your race survives. Each point allows you to avert one point of Disaster damage. (DP)

From here, you have 30 points to allocate across the board. Whether you balance the stats evenly or unevenly will affect how your race functions in its endeavors.

Step 3:

From here, the game starts. Each race has a population of 1000 to begin with. Your population grows 2% every turn, plus and minus environmental factors. Each turn, Disaster points will be randomly allocated to your race. For every point of Disaster not averted by toughness, you lose 1% of the population, after adding the percentages. For every point of toughness over the Disaster Point allocation, the population grows by an extra percent. Usually, the Game Master will reduce Disaster Points in the beginning to prevent premature extinction.

Every turn, your race gains Learning points equal to its Brains. These can be used to buy information for your race. The more advanced the information, the more it will cost. While basic local plant life knowledge may only cost a few points, electricity would be many points invested. Your GM will give you skill trees to use in the beginning. As you advance upon basic points, new skill trees will open up to. If you have something specific in mind, ask the GM about it. They should work with you to help your race go along a specific path technologically.

With your turn comes the allocation of Project Points. While learning points allow your race to learn new things, Project Points are designed to affect your population’s standard of living. This includes building houses, creating schools, making a war effort. Unlike other points, Project Points require learning points to be used. For example, to make an educational system, you must spend one project point for every learning point spent on the information that you wish to be taught in the school. To build an army of soldiers using the weapon technology you have, you need to use project points equal to the amount of points invested in the technology.

However, what point is advancing your race’s technology without being able to travel beyond one’s territory? Each turn, the race earns movement points. This allows the race to move out one square per movement point. Beyond their own explored squares, the race knows nothing of the land.

-

So, what do you guys think of the beginning design? It has holes in information, I know, it's just some beginning stuff. I need to come up with a system for combat, religion, gov't. I think it's still a decent start to the system. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to make this work? Any ideas would be appreciated.

mauslin
2007-06-10, 01:35 PM
I don't really like it. Part of the real fun of the game is coming up with bizarre things. With too many rules you're restricted.

It also appears to be missing rules for immortals

Edit: for those who wish to see the base rules of Evolution, click here (evo.isgreat.org)

FoeHammer
2007-06-10, 05:59 PM
Sorta reminds me of Spore