PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mentor...

will.h
2007-06-09, 09:25 PM
So Im new to DnD, I get the idea and the general flow of the game, and I've played a lot of similar games, but I find myself lost trying to listen to a lot of you discussions.

I'd like to join a PbP game but I have no idea where to start, what books I need, anything. Can I use a resource online? or do I have to buy some books? Just looking for someone who can walk me through some basics. Im a quick learner :D

Solo
2007-06-09, 09:26 PM
All you really need to play DnD is given here: http://www.d20srd.org/

Matthew
2007-06-09, 09:28 PM
You can download almost all the basic rules at the D20 Homepage in Word Document Files or read about it at SRD.org. Really, though, you would be well served by a copy of the 3.x Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual. Try making a basic Character in this Thread and see how it pans out.

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-09, 10:49 PM
While the above link is helpful and ought to be in your bookmarks, it is most definitely no replacement for a physical paper 3.5 Player's Handbook. The other two Core books are generally unnecessary.

Solo
2007-06-09, 10:51 PM
Ah, but where would he find a person to send him a copy of the PHB?

*nudge nudge, wink wink*

Neon Knight
2007-06-09, 11:13 PM
While the above link is helpful and ought to be in your bookmarks, it is most definitely no replacement for a physical paper 3.5 Player's Handbook. The other two Core books are generally unnecessary.

I disagree. The DM's Guide contains a group of prestige classes and rules for magic item creation, along with other useful information.

Really, just grab the Monster Manual I, The Dungeon Master's Guide, and The Player's Handbook. Check used bookstores and you can get em in reasonable condition for a pretty low price.

Glyphic
2007-06-09, 11:28 PM
While you might not be as certain of the condition, try Online book stores too. You can usually get decently cheap copies there. I've ordered two in good condition. No Dr. Pepper stains at all.

phantomhermit
2007-06-10, 04:58 PM
although it will cost you an extra book, i would recommend getting one of the "complete" books, per your style of play. complete warrior for fighting types, complete divine for healer/divine-ish types, complete adventurer for rogueish types, and complete arcane for arcane-spell using types. they have some of my favorite classes for each category as well as some amazing prestige classes.

will.h
2007-06-11, 01:32 PM
Alright so I picked up the core book last night...I'd really like to play a game but it looks like its pretty hard to find one on the recruiting forum. I've been looking for like a week now for something and everything seems to be full or way over my head. Any suggestions?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-11, 01:40 PM
I disagree. The DM's Guide contains a group of prestige classes and rules for magic item creation, along with other useful information.
All of which is only included in the game along with heavy DM oversight.

I've been looking for like a week now for something and everything seems to be full or way over my head. Any suggestions?
Usually about every month or so, a "beginner's campaign," or at least a campaign starting at 1st level, pops up. Just keep an eye out, and you'll find something.

If I had the time, I'd start up a beginner's game for ya right now. Currently, I'm only DMing one campaign, which is just an extension of a game that started out with in person sessions. And I'm having trouble enough finding time to keep that up.

Matthew
2007-06-11, 01:53 PM
As would I. Time, who doesn't need more? Take Shhalahrs' advice and be persistantly vigilant.