PDA

View Full Version : General Storyline Prediction Thread [SPOILERS]

Eriol
2007-06-10, 02:05 AM
This entire thread is intended to be spoilers speculation, so if you aren't interested don't read. That also means that you don't have to include tags to conceal your point when posting and/or responding. Also be aware that Origin of the PCs spoilers are OK in this thread, because there are mentions of events there in this thread (and in this post in fact).

That said, these are my predictions on the general direction of the plot from here on out. These are broad-scale predictions, not how every little piece of every little plotline play out.

Three gates down, two to go. The OOTS has already established from The Oracle that Xykon is heading towards Gerard's gate next. So conceivably they'll follow him there and/or try and get there first to defend it. But Gerard's gate has a few nice tricks to deal with, plot-wise, the first and foremost being its location on the western continent (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0332.html).

Ah the western continent. Significant because it's across an ocean, thus probably meaning a few jokes on long-distance travel, but from a greater perspective, as per OTOOPCs, that's where Tyrinaria is located. And as we all know, Tyrinaria is where Haley's Dad is imprisoned (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html). So they could go there to whack at Xykon one more time, and get embroiled in helping Haley and her Dad. But wait, there's more! There's also the long-running theory on the boards that Lord Tyrinar is Elan & Nale's Dad (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) (the "T" on the flag is the commonly-referred to evidence). Which would also likely mean that Nale will be mixed up in that gate. Heck, Nale says he's going off to capture another gate (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html), so why WOULDN'T he take the one that's near his "homeland"? Maybe his feud with his Dad isn't as large as Nale remembers it being (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0061.html), so it's a way to get "material support" as well. What conqueror wouldn't be interested in a way to conquer the world? He'd be interested enough in what his Son had to say to do that.

So, from all of that, if at least some of it is correct, their next "major" destination is the western continent and Gerard's gate. From the Oracle information alone, even if the rest of the predictions aren't right, that's a near-certainty. But... I doubt the strip will end there. I predict another outcome similar to what has already happened, namely the destruction of THAT gate too.

So, four gates down, one gate left: Kraagor's. We can reasonably assume that it's near the dwarven homelands (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) (I'd argue near his, rather than Serini's since she's "building for him" in this case). This of course means that it intertwine's Durkon's prediction by the Oracle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html) that Durkon returns home "posthumously." Now this could easily mean that he's a casualty at some point along the line, and that the Order carries him there since they're heading that direction anyways, and the High Priest raises him. Or whomever. A minor point, but the big revelation is again in OTOOPCs, as it's revealed there that Odin's High Priest declared via Odin that "when next [Durkon] returns home, he will bring death and destruction to us all" ("us all" probably referring to the dwarves). Which is probably true, since Xykon & Redcloak will be on their way, which is never good for local inhabitants.

Will it end there? I don't know. Perhaps one or more of the other gates will be rebuilt in that time (maybe Azure City, as it's so small, maybe it'd be easy to rebuild the sapphire gate at least) so that's not the end, but the major points that would go unresolved if it took that path would be:
What about V? Some book commentaries have said that we WILL learn about V and their family.
What happened to Serini and Lirian? Maybe SoD tells Lirian's story, and that gate, and maybe the OOTS will go to the Elven Homelands at one point to "find out themselves" and this will take care of the V story at the same time.

And one more "random" prediction from me: The entire story will somehow get wrapped up in Cliffport. That might sound really stupid, and from left field, but c'mon, this city has featured WAY too much IMO. It's where Xykon killed Roy's father's mentor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html), it's probably where Roy grew up (his sister goes to school there (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0256.html), which is not 100% necessary to be the same place, but it leans in favor in combination with Roy's father's master being there), it MAY be where Haley spent here time with the Thieves' Guild (that one's tenuous, just going PURELY by architecture in OTOOPCs). And given that I wouldn't be surprised if that's where they GET transportation to the western continent (though riding on Hinjo's junk (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html) :smallwink: is possible) via an airship, I think there's more to The Giant showing us this city than mere "I mentioned it once, may as well keep using the same place." I am suspicious with any "multiple-mention" ANYTHING in literature.

Anyways, there you go. Big general predictions, things possible, plausible, or downright wild speculation, and the opening to tell me I'm completely full of it. Go nuts. :smallcool:

Porthos
2007-06-10, 02:11 AM
And given that I wouldn't be surprised if that's where they GET transportation to the western continent (though riding on Hinjo's junk (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html) :smallwink: is possible) via an airship, I think there's more to The Giant showing us this city than mere "I mentioned it once, may as well keep using the same place." I am suspicious with any "multiple-mention" ANYTHING in literature.

I like a lot of this speculation. However, since you can quite clearly see Hinjo's Junk still sitting in the harbor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0460.html), I'd say that is the most probable way they are going to get to the Western Continent.

Besides, then we can finally get jokes about pirates. And what webcomic can resist having jokes about pirates? :smalltongue:

EDIT::: And if we start a mini-arc about pirates.... Well... that gives a plausible return for Julio Scoundrel . :smallcool:

And, yes, I know he has an airship and thus it would be unlikely for him to interact with a sea based vessel. But, c'mon. If the OotS run into pirates, then a swashbuckler Dashing Swordsman can't be far behind. :smalltongue:

kpenguin
2007-06-10, 02:17 AM
Also interesting to note: the Oracle draws his power from Tiamat (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html), who is one of the Western gods. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html) Could we be seeing more kobolds running around to the west? And what about those Western gods, anyway? The only follower of the Western gods we've seen so far is the Oracle. We know that Marduk and Tiamat (albeit the D&D version) are included. Who else? Their general alignment?

Icewalker
2007-06-10, 02:38 AM
Well they can't rebuild the gates. The gate-sealing was also scoured when they removed all traces of the gates (I think).

I can't wait to see Girards gate. I think that'll be really awesome. Illusions are fun.

TDG
2007-06-10, 04:28 AM
Please note - this ending will probably never ever ever occur - I just think it'd be cool :P

Personally, I'd love to see Team Evil go after one gate (Girard's) whilst the Linear Guild (unknown to anybody else) go after the Kraagor's simultaneously. I'd like to see Team Evil best the Order - killing some (Durkon), leaving the rest helpless to watch as Xykon performs his ceremony (which hopefully won't take weeks like he said earlier). Xykon finishes the ceremony and turns to gloat to the Order as the Snarl approaches from behind him.

Only to be sucked back through the gate.

The gate acts somewhat as a vortex, and drags inhabitants and loose objects around Girard's gate through to the Western continent, where Nale has absorbed the Snarl and as the Order and Team Evil watch in horror as Nale forces the High Priest of Thor to open a gate to the Gods' plane.

Xykon still wants the Snarl's power (despite it clearly having control over Nale) - but Redcloak fears for the Dark God's safety, so he destroys Xykon's phylactery and destroys Xykon. Doing so leaves him (clichedly) drained - leaving the Order as the only forces left to stop Nale (who is becoming more and more like the Snarl as he rampages through the Gods' plane)

Thor revives Durkon before being struck down and a battle of epic proportions begins between the Order and the Snarl.

The Snarl beats everybody bar Elan. Doing so leaves it weakened, so it resorts to a psychological attack - taking the form of Nale again. It taunts Elan, saying that he wouldn't strike him down. Elan's bardic senses and the words of Julio (It doesn't matter whether you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it) come to him and he strikes down the Snarl with a truly terrible pun. The sheer negative energy that explodes from the Snarl kills Elan as it flows out from the Snarl's body.

The next comic we see Roy wake up in horror (perhaps finshing the line he was saying before he died. EG: Haley! Look-*dies**wakes up*-out!). Julia sits next to the end of the bed and makes some snarky quip about having to waste valuable diamonds on resurrecting him. Turns out Roy was the last to be rezzed, and a year has past since the incident. The order are all there to watch him be rezzed, and it finishes with a touching "What happened between then and now to each of the characters" and a splash page.

Its full of cliches, I know, but its just how I picture it.

Eriol
2007-06-10, 11:50 AM
Well they can't rebuild the gates. The gate-sealing was also scoured when they removed all traces of the gates (I think).
I doubt that. Even Shojo theorized that the destruction of one gate was better than letting it fall into the wrong hands, and that they could "in time, be rebuilt." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0278.html) So even Shojo supported the idea that yes they COULD be rebuilt. Now maybe most of the lore about how to seal them is lost now (such lore would likely be PART of the secret lore of the sapphire guard) because of the destruction of the castle, but if it was discovered once, it can be again. So either way, I definitely wouldn't say "never" for rebuilding.

redcodekevin
2007-06-10, 12:13 PM
[i]

<snip>

Personally, I'd love to see Team Evil go after one gate (Girard's) whilst the Linear Guild (unknown to anybody else) go after the Kraagor's simultaneously.
<snip>

I had thought of that too. Maybe that will open space for Hinjo and what's left of his forces having to follow to one Gate while the Order goes to the other. It's good to know that Tyrinaria is in the west continent, which means that it's near Girard's Gate. How many think we will actually see Girard still alive?

Thanatos 51-50
2007-06-10, 01:22 PM
Personally, I think all the gates will be utterly destroyed, through a series of unfortunate circumstances.
Girard's gate will be demolished to prevent it from falling into Team Evil's hands.
"Hey, we still got one gate left, right guys?"

Everybody rushes for the final gate, which results in a climatic showdown and all forces present arriving there at the same time. Somewhere in the struggle, the last gate is destroyed, and the Snarl cuts loose on the world.

Team Evil and The Order cliche-ly team up to defeat the Snarl (Xykon doesn't want the world destroyed, some of his best evil-ness took place there).
Somewhere in the battle V says Four words to the snarl and begins absorbing its essence. Relizing whats happening, Roy strikes down (and kills) V at the moment he recieves Ultimate Cosmic Arcane Power, and with the passing of V also comes the passing of the Snarl.

jindra34
2007-06-10, 01:30 PM
Personally, I think all the gates will be utterly destroyed, through a series of unfortunate circumstances.
Girard's gate will be demolished to prevent it from falling into Team Evil's hands.
"Hey, we still got one gate left, right guys?"

Everybody rushes for the final gate, which results in a climatic showdown and all forces present arriving there at the same time. Somewhere in the struggle, the last gate is destroyed, and the Snarl cuts loose on the world.

Team Evil and The Order cliche-ly team up to defeat the Snarl (Xykon doesn't want the world destroyed, some of his best evil-ness took place there).
Somewhere in the battle V says Four words to the snarl and begins absorbing its essence. Relizing whats happening, Roy strikes down (and kills) V at the moment he recieves Ultimate Cosmic Arcane Power, and with the passing of V also comes the passing of the Snarl.

problems with theory
1.Gates destroyed =/= Snarl freed
2.Snarl freed = World destroyed
3. No one is dumb enough to destroy the last gate.
4. It has little conclusion value on what happened to the bad guys.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-06-10, 01:56 PM
problems with theory
1.Gates destroyed =/= Snarl freed

Actually, thats a good point. The destruction of the Gates does NOT free the Snarl, as far as we know. But, if that were the point, why didn't the Order of the Scribble just destroy the rifts in the first place?
*returns to the "Crayons of Time" comics to see if the hold the answer*

jindra34
2007-06-10, 02:05 PM
Actually, thats a good point. The destruction of the Gates does NOT free the Snarl, as far as we know. But, if that were the point, why didn't the Order of the Scribble just destroy the rifts in the first place?
*returns to the "Crayons of Time" comics to see if the hold the answer*

Rifts=holes in space time
Holes are patched not destroyed
Patching said rifts would require destroying the world.

hrak
2007-06-10, 02:19 PM
I think your predictions are right. Though I don't get the thing about Durkon.

MOD
2007-06-10, 02:24 PM
I say that Miko will have survived the destruction of Soon's gate and will, unknown to her regain her paladin abilites. But she will no longer be a paladin who has gained her powers from the 12 gods but become a paladin of the Snarl!

jindra34
2007-06-10, 02:26 PM
I say that Miko will have survived the destruction of Soon's gate and will, unknown to her regain her paladin abilites. But she will no longer be a paladin who has gained her powers from the 12 gods but become a paladin of the Snarl!

Dude read some threads before you go posting blindly...

Thanatos 51-50
2007-06-10, 02:37 PM
Rifts=holes in space time
Holes are patched not destroyed
Patching said rifts would require destroying the world.

Thanks for puncing on that so I couldn't edit after re-reading the time Crayons.
<Well, yeah, I could have but it would have derailed the conversation>
Holes can also be plugged (if its say, in the hull of a ship) or sewn back together (if you want to use the fabric analogy", effectivly "destroying" the hole.
Granted, such sections are not nearly as strong as they once were, and these particular areas in space-time were weak already.
The rifts were already sealed, whereas the gates were simply the lock. So, the destruction of the gates should act like forcing open a lock. Destroying all the gates should, therefore, only be equivilent to having a bunch of unlocked doors. They still need to be opened before the Snarl can mosey on through.

Snipers_Promise
2007-06-10, 02:39 PM
I can think of one forgotten plot point: What Exactly was in Hinjo's package? I know it was supposed to be joke but what if its important?

TheNovak
2007-06-10, 02:50 PM
Lemme start with a few predictions that might have a shot of coming true within the next two years or so :smallsmile:

Gerard, the cool dual-wielding bard dude of the Order of the Scribble, is still alive. Not only that, he's the grandfather of Elan and Nale. And the King of Tyrania is his lawful evil warlord son. Going further out, Gerard is actually still involved in his son's life, acting as an advisor and chiding him about his choices (but not too seriously; we don't know much about him, yet, but I think he's of a Neutral alignment. No real evidence or anything, I just do).

I think Gerard's gate is doomed to go kablooey, but I want to be the first to call this: the gate will survive, but something bad will simultaneously be happening at Kraagor's. Durkon's return will...uh, hold on. Spoiler tags for you folks without On the Origin of PCs. Durkon's return will, naturally, fulfill the prophecy of dooming his homeland. "When next he returns home, he will bring death and destruction for us all." So either he'll be coming home with an army of bad guys at his heels, or he's going to be switching cleric Domains :smalltongue:

Belkar's going to survive to see the ending. That means that, in game-time, the group has less than two years to kick Xykon's butt.

Speaking of Team Evil, Redcloak isn't going to betray Xykon. No, really. He won't. I'm calling it here and now.

The Monster in the Darkness is the tarrasque. Or maybe a piece of the Snarl.

V's obtaining of Ultimate Arcane Power will be, of course, during the Final Battle. And it will end poorly for hir.

Going back to Kraagor's Gate, if there is another Massive Battle, I call Hinjo and the Sapphire Guard showing up to help. Also, if my prediction about Tyrania is right, I think Gerard (taking over for his deposed son) will lead an army there to help, too.

Miko will continue to be completely unpredictable, though a few people will make lucky guesses and then brag about how awesome they are.

From now until the ending, the comic will continue to rock socks.

LordVader
2007-06-10, 02:57 PM
Also known as a Blackguard.:smalltongue:
I think that yes, they will head for tha' dwarven lands, and that tha' lich and Redcloack will bring tha' gobbo army with them.:smalltongue:

jindra34
2007-06-10, 03:03 PM
Also known as a Blackguard.:smalltongue:
I think that yes, they will head for tha' dwarven lands, and that tha' lich and Redcloack will bring tha' gobbo army with them.:smalltongue:

except girgard's gate is on the western continent... and dwarven lands are in the north...

David Argall
2007-06-10, 03:08 PM
Major point. This is a comic strip. We don't want a climatic conclusion. We want our daily fix. The grand fanalie means the strip is over, done. We lose it. We don't get any more OOTS. So the idea is out of the question. Instead we want something like Dagwood, who has been late to work for 70 years and still works for the same boss. We can have a number of lesser climaxes along the way, but there is always to be a "to be continued..." to the story.

So future of the strip.

Possible: The party has to deal with the aftermaths of the invasion of the city, and battle to keep Lord Hinjo on his [currently exploded] throne. This can take a full book, and a diversion book is useful for our purposes.

Then comes the sea voyage. Pirates and sea monsters seem a certainity. Again, the trip can be forced to take a detour for another book or so. Both books also have auto break points, one showing them sailing off, the other showing them landing.

Now we have a book on the Western lands, and the battle for the 4th gate. That of course is also destroyed, and everybody rushes to the final gate. After the same process, that gate is destroyed too.

But now we need a new theme so the story can go on. The obvious thing is the rebuilding of the gates, which requires rare materials that the party must fetch... However what will have happened in any case is that the party has already been warned of what this task is. So they may come to the 5th gate saying that "After we save this gate, we need to go rebuild #4..."

Snipers_Promise
2007-06-10, 03:11 PM
Just like Concerned, Order of the Stick has to end sometime.

LordVader
2007-06-10, 03:12 PM
I meant after Girard's. There's still a lot of hobbos remaining.

TheNovak
2007-06-10, 03:14 PM

Just what I was gonna say.

Can't say I wish it didn't, though :smallfrown:

Spiryt
2007-06-10, 03:15 PM
Then comes the sea voyage. Pirates and sea monsters seem a certainity. Again, the trip can be forced to take a detour for another book or so. Both books also have auto break points, one showing them sailing off, the other showing them landing.

Oh crap, i just imagined that... Belkar and rest going crazy beacuse narrowness of ship... Seascape, waves, jokes from Verne and other classics. Yeah OotS across the sea will be fantastic.

David Argall
2007-06-10, 08:45 PM

The answers are "Does it?" And "Our standard idea is to delay sometime for as long as possible, not try to schedule it."

Now we can say that everything has to end some time, but that is not true in terms of human time. A huge number of things have barely changed within a human lifetime. In the case of comics, there are several approaching a century in age. There is no reason why OOTS has to end within a period of time of any great concern to any of us.

And as said, we try to preserve the things we like, extend their lifetimes as much as possible. We don't go around planning how to kill them off.

Snipers_Promise
2007-06-10, 09:15 PM
I just saying there will be a point, perferibly in the far future, in which The Oots will end. Im not trying to get pilisoyical.

pendell
2007-06-10, 09:49 PM
Just what I was gonna say.

Can't say I wish it didn't, though :smallfrown:

Disagree.

*I* think that the OOTS should continue just as long as it is inspired, and I would like it to go out at the peak of it's game ... i.e, when it's as good as it's going to get, and before it jumps the shark.

That's a major reason I read OOTS ... it has a beginning, middle, and end. I stopped reading Blondie or Peanuts ten years ago because I already knew in advance what was going to happen. Too predictable. That's a wonderful thing for the old folks who keep strips like "Mark Trail" in circulation, but I prefer stories to have an end.

I think that Hollywood, especially, has a habit of extending a franchise looong after any real life or creativity was in it. Case in point: George Lucas. He should have stopped after the original trilogy. For that matter, I sometimes think he should have stopped after the first film.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

TheNovak
2007-06-10, 09:49 PM
Well, hey, it's a story. An epic story, really. And epic stories can't go on forever, or they stop being epic and start getting repetitive and dull (I'm looking at you, Wheel of Time). A good story needs a good ending, and if you want to pace it properly, you need to know how and when that's going to happen.

Besides, I can't see an ending happening sooner than three or four more years. And even when it does, what's to stop Rich from starting a new comic? We'll come to know and love 'em just like we did the Order; I have confidence in Rich's ability.

EDIT: Pendell: Heh, yeah, I didn't really mean it like that. I'll certainly be sad to see it end, but I'll know it's for the best.

PsyBlade
2007-06-10, 10:17 PM
The Giant has specifically stated that Order of the Stick has a preplanned end. It will end, but he has about 3-5 more years of material to work with. So enjoy it while you can.

And yes, there is nothing stopping him from starting a new comic.

Eriol
2007-06-11, 09:40 PM
I meant after Girard's. There's still a lot of hobbos remaining.
What effect could that explosion have had on the army? Is it possible that some and/or most of them could have literally been "blown away" by the gate collapsing, and are now dead?