PDA

View Full Version : Deep Crystal

Armads
2007-06-10, 04:19 AM
Since using a deep crystal weapon's power is a free action, can you channel all your power points into it and therefore get +xd6 damage to your next attack, where x = your power point total?

lord_khaine
2007-06-10, 05:19 AM
at page 182 of the EPH it says you can channel 2PP's into the weapon to charge it, you dont get a option to channel either less or more PP into the weapon, so no, you cant do that.

Armads
2007-06-10, 06:06 AM
As a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, the wielder can channel psionic power into a melee weapon or ranged weapon made of deep crystal. For 2 power points, the deep crystal weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of damage.

Therefore, you can actually channel more than 2 power points. I'm just asking if the damage stacks.

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-10, 06:14 AM
Therefore, you can actually channel more than 2 power points. I'm just asking if the damage stacks.

How does "for 2 power points you can make the weapon deal 2d6 extra damage" somehow equal "you can channel as many power points as you like"?

The ability costs 2 power points. That's it. You can't spend more than 2 on it in a single round, but you can keep doing it as much as you like.

Zincorium
2007-06-10, 06:21 AM
How does "for 2 power points you can make the weapon deal 2d6 extra damage" somehow equal "you can channel as many power points as you like"?

The ability costs 2 power points. That's it. You can't spend more than 2 on it in a single round, but you can keep doing it as much as you like.

Actually, this is exactly the same as arcane strike.

RAW, you could use multiple free actions in the same round to repeatedly activate the same ability. There is absolutely nothing in the description that says that it cannot be used multiple times in a single round. The question is whether that matters.

As far as stacking, the damage is unnamed (and so probably deals the same type as the weapon), but it is from the same source. I have trouble keeping track of WotC's rationale lately on the stacking business, but usually identical effects from the same source overlap rather than stack.

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-10, 06:23 AM
Okay, so it's a "waste as many multiples of 2 power points as you like for an extra 2d6 damage, total" ability.

Awesome.