PDA

View Full Version : That crazy bluff.....

Psychosis
2007-06-10, 12:01 PM
I'm fairly sure that, at one point or another, a player in every campaign has tried to make an npc believe something insane on all levels via bluff check. What was the dumbest thing a pc has tried to bluff, did it work, and what were the results?

Recently in my campaign (two sessions ago, actually), the players arrived at a large fortified city to help them fend off goblinoid attackers. They show up at the gates and speak with the guards, all natural. But then the party leader does something I didn't expect.

This cn marshal is more than aware of his group's money problems, and has conducted many a scheme to hit his payday. At the last town he had come across a group of twenty dogs and used them to organize a small-scale gambling operation. Naturally, the druid was not pleased with this and scared the participants away with her bear form when she found out.

Apparently, this marshal was still kinda sour about the turn of events. He then decided to get some petty revenge. He indicated to one of the guards that the druid was a goblin in disguise that could be questioned for valuable information. I silently decided that while she was obviously NOT a goblin of any sorts, people were getting paranoid after months of attacks. DC 35. What I did not count on was a +17 to Bluff.

Much to my shock, it worked. I think everyone had realized what happened when I just silently stared at my concealed d20 for several seconds. The guards believed the marshal, bound the druids hands and led her to a secluded cell in the jail. The local cleric managed to set things strait the day after, but it was still pretty crazy.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-10, 12:42 PM
Actually, that isn't so crazy since it is known that the druid is a shapeshifter and likes to scare off people.

Fako
2007-06-10, 01:22 PM
The group I was running was working to overthrow a totalitarian arcane government (not creative I know, but it was working...), and had managed to get to the top of their Most Wanted list by the time they were 9th level. The party decided it would be best to have their information removed from the system, and found the building their profiles were stored in (the TAG was still small, and working on expanding).

As usual, the party decided it would be best to search EVERY LAST ROOM, even after they had managed to find out which area of the building their profiles were in. They walked in on a group of assassins being briefed by a hologram. The assassins were being hired to kill them...

When they walked into the room, the party face quickly said that they too had been hired to kill these traitors, and that they had decided disguising themselves as the traitors was the best way to find them. Unlikely, but I allowed him to try (DC 40).

He rolled 20 on the die, and in our group...that means auto success.

So, they were subsequently hired to kill themselves...

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-06-10, 01:48 PM
That sounds like normal happenings for parties I'm in. We usually get ourselves into crazy situations like that.