View Full Version : Putting Salt on the Wounds [MitP]

DragonTounge
2007-06-10, 12:06 PM
MitP II is done voting.

Blood-burning crab
Small Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 3d10+6 (22hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 25ft. (5 squares) Swim 20ft. (4 squares)
AC: 18 (+6 nat, +1 dex, +1 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+0
Attack: Claw +4 (1d6+1)
Full Attack: 2 claws (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, wound
Special Qualities: Adhesive, DR 2/magic, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +0
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 5, Wis 11, Cha 9
Skills: Hide +9*, Move Silently +6, Spot +3, Swim +14
Feats: Stealthy
Climate/terrain: underwater or on beaches
Organization: Solitary or feeding frenzy (4-16)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: 50% coins, 50% mundane items
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4-7 HD (small), 8-12 HD (medium)

Out of the sand jumps a large, white, bumpey crab. As it lumbers toward you small amounts of the sand covering it fall off revealing its true shell. Its sea green and coated with a clear gloss. It opens its mouth, and attacks!

Blood-burning crabs are giant crabs that eat any kind of meat. Most of the time it stays underwater to catch fish, but occasionaly they'll go up on the beach and cover them selves with sand. The sand mostly sticks because of an adhesive liquid coating its shell, and hides in the sand. It then ambushes prey from the sand.

During mating season blood-burning crabs collect shiney things such as coins or spoons. It then goes around attempting to attract mates. During this time blood-burning crabs lose their bonus on hide checks and have at least 35gp worth of coins and mundane items.

COMBAT

The blood-burning crab buries its self under the sand to ambush prey. It attempts to injure as many foes as possible before backing off and hitting them with its breath weapon. If it knocks out an enemy it tries to drag him into the water to drown and eat him.

Adhesive(Nat): A blood-burning crab has a slight adhesive coating its shell. When something hits a blood-burning crab he must make a DC 14 reflex save or have it weapon stuck to the crab. it takes a DC 13 strength check to pull free. The save is constitution based.

Breath Weapon(Ex): A blood-burning crab gets its name from its breath weapon. It shoots a 20ft. cone of salt at enemies. If the enemy has been hurt (has less then full health) the salt spreads on his wounds, burning them, dealing 3d4 non-lethal damage and blinding them for him for 1 round. A reflex save equal to half the hit points the enemy has lost is half-damage and negates the blindness. It can use this ability every 1d4 rounds and the save DC can't exceed 18.

Hold Breath(Nat): A blood-burning crab can hold its breath for a number of minutes equal to its constitution modifier x 3.

Wound(Ex): Any living creature damaged by a blood-burning crab continues to bleed, losing 1 hit point every round thereafter. Multiple wounds don't result in more hit point loss. The bleeding can be stopped by a DC 10 heal check or a cure spell.

Skills: Blood burning crabs have +2 racial bonus on both hide checks and swim checks. *When in sandy areas the racial bonus increases to +10.

Now with ecology. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2908237&posted=1#post2908237)

Mr. Moogle
2007-06-10, 12:11 PM
Ouch... that is a good monster and im definatly having players in my seaside campaign fight swarms of these. Could you possibly make a swarm version?

Poppatomus
2007-06-10, 12:16 PM
pretty cool, but it seems like the save DC should be related to the victim, not the crab. How about something like DC = 10 + (Hp lost/Con bonus)?

MitP vote: YES

also, you should probably put mitp or creature in the title line.

EDIT: No swim speed?

DragonTounge
2007-06-10, 09:28 PM
Could you possibly make a swarm version?

Just made one. Blood Burning Swarm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2723892#post2723892)

DracoDei
2007-06-10, 10:12 PM
The BW should have two seperate saves I think. One for the subdual damage, and one for the blindness. Even totally healthy foes can be blinded. I like the twist on the DC for half subdual damage, but if you take my suggestion the save for blindness should be calculated in the usual way.

Icewalker
2007-06-11, 01:45 AM
I like it. Quite inventive, not ridiculous, a nice simple encounter.

Hoorah for my sea-based campaign. Yoink!

MitP vote: yes

Medium though? That's really huge. I'd say small would be a little better.

Matthew
2007-06-15, 05:20 PM
Looks good to me.

MitP Vote: Yes

deadfalcon
2007-06-24, 12:55 PM
Mitp Vote: yes

Shouln't it be a +10 to hide in sandy enviroments rather than just a +10 to hide?

adanedhel9
2007-06-24, 02:17 PM
(A lot of the stuff I have to say on this monster I already noted in the swarm thread. I won't repeat it here.)

Grapple should be +0.

Saves should be Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1.

It seems to have -2 ranks in Hide: +4 size, +10 racial, +1 Dex = +15?

It looks like you pulled DC 14 out of thin air for Adhesive. Save DC's are almost always of the format 10 + 1/2 HD + ability modifier. And you need to specify which ability modifier you used (probably Con in this case).

Look up any creature with a swim speed and copy the skills section referring to Swim into this description, replacing the +10 racial bonus to Swim. This is a standard that should be used for any creature with a swim speed unless there's a really good reason not to.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-27, 10:30 PM
MitP Vote: Yes

Anxe
2007-06-29, 01:23 PM
Yeah this one's really good. How does it have a swarm version if it's small? Mitp: Yes

Leon
2007-06-29, 01:39 PM
MitP: Yes Filler Text - nothing to see here

DragonTounge
2007-10-01, 08:52 PM
http://www.ruralmysteries.com/images/blood-burning-crab.jpg

I finally made myself a picture of the blood-burning crab here. Enjoy :smallbiggrin: I don't mind comments, and I don't care if anyone wants to color it.