PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Illusionist Wizard: Veiled Illusionist

dascarletm
2015-12-04, 11:33 AM
I'm making an illusion specialized wizard, taking the Mage of the Veil (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/illusion/mage-of-the-veil-qadira) specialization. My question is does the Veiled Illusionist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/veiled-illusionist) prc add anything new to the table?

I've looked at it, and the veils look interesting. It also is a full casting prc. Is there any drawback from not taking wizard all the way that I'm missing?

EDIT: I'm thinking about high levels now, is there any way for an illusionist to protect against true seeing?

Slithery D
2015-12-04, 11:41 AM
You lose bonus feats and arcane discoveries, but if you feel these PrC abilities are better go for it.

Geddy2112
2015-12-04, 11:53 AM
It is a good PrC if you wanna do illusion stuff. Although you can take effortless trickery as a feat(if you are a gnome) and get the swift illusion concentration at level 1.

True seeing won't block mundane disguises, otherwise true seeing basically ruins the illusion school outright. Dispel it on anybody you think has it then cast illusions.

Psyren
2015-12-04, 01:27 PM
I have no bloody idea what Face In The Crowd is actually supposed to do. What a weird ability.

dascarletm
2015-12-04, 03:50 PM
It is a good PrC if you wanna do illusion stuff. Although you can take effortless trickery as a feat(if you are a gnome) and get the swift illusion concentration at level 1.

True seeing won't block mundane disguises, otherwise true seeing basically ruins the illusion school outright. Dispel it on anybody you think has it then cast illusions.
I suppose I'll just go around with arcane sight packing a few dispel/greater dispel magic.

I have no bloody idea what Face In The Crowd is actually supposed to do. What a weird ability.

I imagine it to work like Bilbo's ability to just go around unnoticed a' la' The Hobbit. The 30ft. range bothers me though. Also the vagueness on when it can or cannot be used is bothersome.

Slithery D
2015-12-04, 05:41 PM
There's some disagreement, but the better interpretation is that Mind Blank prevents True Seeing from spotting any illusions on your own person, but that's not until level 15.