PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5] Looking for help with an Int based build.

TheTomikaze15
2015-12-04, 12:46 PM
So this is an idea I had and I'm sure it's been done before. But I want to make a skillmonkey trip/sneak attacker mixing factotum, rogue and swordsage. I'm open of course to other options. All 3.5 books are approved and everything else will be considered on a case by case basis. We will be starting at lvl 5.
My build will be something like Barbarian1/Factotum3/Sword Sage1. For the sword sage I'm going to take assassins stance and that should give me +2d6 sneak attack damage. Unless I calculated something wrong and I want to take rogue to atleast 3 to get the Penetrating Strike ACF. Flaws are allowed also. For my Point buy I was considering something like:
Str 15, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 17(Bumped to 18 at lvl 4) Wis, 10 and Cha 9. So far what I was thinking for feats were:
H: Wolf Berserker
F: Improved Trip
F: ???
1: EWP: Spiked Chain(Can you sneak attack from reach?)
3: Knockdown
6: ??
So this build should give me +14 to trip at level 5? I also considered maybe using the Unarmed Sword sage variant though I'd lose reach, but Kung Fu Genius has been approved for use with UaSS.
The other members of my party are: Dread Necro, Barbarian, Paladin, Ranged Rogue, Cleric and a fire mage homebrew class. The necro is focused on summoning so I think there will be plenty of opportunities for flanking to activate sneak attack.
One last question, would the extra attack from improved trip also count as a sneak attack as long as the requirements were met?

glitterbaby
2015-12-04, 02:20 PM
With your current build I think you'll be rather squishy and lack any sort of staying power with your Con only at 10. It's not too big of a deal with the other two melee in the party being rather beefy but I'd still prefer more HP to less HP. To this end I'd suggest dropping the Barbarian level, I know it seems counter-intuitive now. I'd suggest getting less MAD. Pick up Weapon Finesse and if you're going Swordsage you can go with Shadow Blade as well. This is going to let you forget about strength almost entirely so you can put that 15 into Con.

The Swashbuckler class boasts a d10 HD, full BAB, average skills but you have nice int, free Weapon Finesse, a few neat SLA options with the Arcane Stunt ACF, and finally Int to damage when you finesse. There's also the feat Daring Outlaw that stacks your Swashbuckler levels with your Rogue levels for Sneak Attack and the Grace class features. You wouldn't be able to do Arcane Stunt if you did that though because it trades away Grace.

Remember that your non-initiator classes count as 1/2 towards your initiator level which determines the maneuver levels you can learn. If had Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 3/Swordsage 2 you'd have an intiator of 5 and you'd be able to take Assassin's Stance at your 2nd level of Swordsage, at level 8. Otherwise you don't get another stance until Swordsage 5. Starting at level 5 you'll have to choose what you'd want to prioritize. If you'd rather get your Int to AC right off the bat you could start with Swashbuckler 3/Swordsage 2 then head towards Rogue, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Other good feats are: Keen Intellect (Int replaces Wis in Will saves and some skills), Knowledge Devotion (Not insignificant buff to to-hit and damage), Education (sets Knowledges to class skills, helps Knowledge Devotion if you're taking it), Faerie Mysteries Initiate (requires elf but gives Int to HP instead of Con, invalidates most of my suggestions about boosting your Con)

If I were playing it I'd suggest the following build:

Str 10 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 18 (lvl 4 bump included) Wis 10 Cha 9

Rogue 1/Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 1 (ordered that way so you can qualify for Daring Outlaw at 3rd and Craven at 1st)
H: Education
F: Knowledge Devotion
F: Craven (Character Level to Sneak Attack damage)
1: Open
Swashbuckler: Weapon Finesse
3: Daring Outlaw
6: Open

Other things to consider: Strongheart Halfling also offers a bonus feat with a racial bonus to dexterity and is small (bonuses to stealthy skills, +1 AC and to-hit). You could grab the Shadow Blade feat once you're in Swordsage (or take Martial Study first) to get your dexterity to damage but with only a +2 dex mod you'll have to decide if that's worthwhile. After Swordsage 2 you could go back into Swashbuckler to continue advancing Sneak Attack on a better chassis. You could also keep with Swordsage, maneuvers are pretty great. You also can't go wrong with Factotum. Keep in mind that while you can add another Sneak Attack die with Cunning Strike, you're almost always better off using that inspiration point on Cunning Insight. By the time you're going to pick up Cunning Strike your Int mod will probably be at 6 or higher with magic items so Cunning Insight is basically a maximized Cunning Strike. Even with only the +4 Int mod, 1d6 averages out to 3.5 so Cunning Insight is still better. A Warblade 1 dip nets you Int to reflex saves, a great chassis, and another pool of readied maneuvers.

Hope that helps!

rrwoods
2015-12-04, 04:44 PM
Also note that, RAW you must choose a 1st level stance at your first swordsage level no matter what your initiator level is at that point. It's reasonable to house rule this but check with your dm.

ComaVision
2015-12-04, 04:53 PM
Your proposed build doesn't qualify for Improved Trip when it's taken.

You can get it without prerequisites with Barb 2 Wolf Totem or you need to grab Combat Expertise first.

TheTomikaze15
2015-12-04, 06:33 PM
Yes but the wolf berserker fear which was approved by my dm States that you can take improved trip without meeting the prereqs. And thats interesting, I may move away from the whole idea of tripping and just look into doing more damage like it seems what that other build is going for. Dumping str entirely down to 10 seems like a good idea also because with factotum 3 I can apply int mod to str based skills anyway.

Also note that, RAW you must choose a 1st level stance at your first swordsage level no matter what your initiator level is at that point. It's reasonable to house rule this but check with your dm.

I guess I missed that part, can you give me the page it's mentioned on?