PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mesmerist build help

shendelzar
2015-12-04, 02:04 PM
I am making a build for an upcoming campaign...
The vexxing daredevil mesmerist seems to be a flavorful and fun class from the descriptions.

Im going for a debuffer mainly type build. I plan on using a whip since mesmerist gets that added in their proficiency and woudl use that at its reach range to trip/disarm/debuff opponents. So this will be a heavy whip feat build with some fluff to further my debuffing abilities.

I like to plan my builds out so here is what I have so far:
halfling(fleet of foot for the 30 ft movement / jynx for added debuffing)
BOLD indicates FEAT, Italic indicates Vexxing Feint ability Regular is mesmerist trick
1st weapon finesse
2nd mesmeric mirror
3rd outmaneuver wep focus whip
4th spectral smoke
5th whip mastery
6th compel alacrity
7th sloppy defense imp whip mastery
**Now I threaten 10ft and can use my AoO to trip, disarm

8th mask msery
9th enforcer
***at this point i can stare for a -3 to saves, feint to get them flatfooted, hit someone at decent range with my whip, do a modest 1d3+3d6+4 non lethal damage and demoralize them for rounds= to the damage and if I have a cruel enchantment make them sicked as well... thats -7 on their will save so i can do whatever enchantment i want next round(or add halfling jinx for more debuffing fun)

10th false flanker
11th surprise strike intense pain
12th cursed sanction
**now when i hit i also can cast bestow curse on the target making them utterly useless the rest of the encounter(or until they become my dominated slave)

13th combat reflexes
14th free in body
15th piercing strike greater whip mastery
16th spatial switch
17th spell focus ench
18th greater mask misery
19th combat maneuvre gr spell focus ench
20th faked death

I will be maxing out Bluff, UMD, perception with other points getting divided into acrobatics, stealth, diplomacy, ride, fly, and whatever else seems to be needed.
I plan on taking a mix of spells known - some of the key ones being: blur, invisibility, obscurring mist, displacement, Dominate person, charm person, vanish, ray of enfeeblement.

Does anyone see any glaring needs or holes in the build/concept? Has anyone played a mesmerist yet and seen anything in actual play that helps?

shendelzar
2015-12-04, 02:28 PM
my first attempt was a half orc version(str based)
I found him to look like a glass cannon- not much in Hit points or defenses.

1st noble scion(war)
2nd mesmeric mirror
3rd outmaneuver enforcer
4th spectral smoke
5th bludgeoner
6th compel alacrity
7th sloppy defense intense pain
8th mask msery
9th vital strike
10th false flanker/meek facade
11th surprise strike power atk
12th cursed sanction
13th furious focus
14th free in body
15th piercing strike imp vitalstrike
16th spatial switch
17th imp initiative
18th greater mask misery
19th combat maneuvre openfeat
20th faked death

But i found him to look squishy on paper. with only light armor proficiency and a D8 hit die. I agree a lucerne hammer vital striking/painful staring build looks like a lot of fun with all those D6 rolls on each attack... but how can I make him less "hit me once and i die"

Florian
2015-12-04, 02:29 PM
Problem I see is that the Vexing Daredevil is the combat archetype for this specific class and builds upon Vital Strike for full effekt.
It's not too great at actual debuffing as you downgrade your stare a lot by picking this archetype.

shendelzar
2015-12-04, 02:42 PM
Problem I see is that the Vexing Daredevil is the combat archetype for this specific class and builds upon Vital Strike for full effekt.
It's not too great at actual debuffing as you downgrade your stare a lot by picking this archetype.

Im not sure if I'm looking at this correct or not.. but assuming i went with vital strike and a big 2 hand weapon.... Im giving up 2d6 extra dmg at lvl 9(vital strike) and 4d6 at lvl 15(imp vital) correct?

what I gain is the ability to be dex based(more AC, reflex, initiative) and not having to spend feats to help either/all of those 3 stats..
I also gain some interesting looking things with the whip(trip, grapple, disarm, 15 ft range, 10 ft threaten).

Is there another benefit to a vital strike type build other than 14 average weapon damage by lvl 15? or a way to make up for what will no doubt be a hideous armor class?

Florian
2015-12-04, 03:24 PM
Take a look at the economy of actions for this class.
You'll use swift (stare), move (dazzling feint) followed by standard (vital strike).
Your class features don't trigger without the feint, but that will regain you the action lost to not taking a full attack action via surprise strike.

shendelzar
2015-12-04, 03:31 PM
Take a look at the economy of actions for this class.
You'll use swift (stare), move (dazzling feint) followed by standard (vital strike).
Your class features don't trigger without the feint, but that will regain you the action lost to not taking a full attack action via surprise strike.

AHHH!!! in which case it becomes +4d6 + another standard atk for effectively double damage - didn't think about that...
How would you get around the squishiness? I could see an argument to just go for outright damage and drop enforcer/bludgeoner for some initiative(imp init or scion-war) and Medium armor proficiency?

Florian
2015-12-04, 04:40 PM
AHHH!!! in which case it becomes +4d6 + another standard atk for effectively double damage - didn't think about that...
How would you get around the squishiness? I could see an argument to just go for outright damage and drop enforcer/bludgeoner for some initiative(imp init or scion-war) and Medium armor proficiency?

You use spells for that. Take a look at the spell list: You have everything from Mirror Image to Displacement there.

Psyren
2015-12-04, 05:14 PM
You're also using a whip, so you can stand 15ft. away - lots of things just won't be able to hit you before you take them down.