PDA

View Full Version : Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

8BitNinja
2016-04-30, 12:36 PM
"I'm drunk, you don't have an excuse" - Demoman, Team Fortress 2

Belac93
2016-05-02, 10:41 PM
"Someday, my friend. Someday, you’re going to **** up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will **** comets with glee. And I just hope I’m still around to see it."
"Oh please, that'll never happen."
-The Lies of Locke Lamora.

“There’s no freedom quite like the freedom of being constantly underestimated.”

“What kind of knife is this? It’s all wrong. You couldn’t kill anyone with this.”

“According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking.”
-Ptolemy's Gate

“He was a man who would never ask for sympathy. He was a man who sought only to do what was right. Such people appear in the world, every world, now and then, like a single refrain of some blessed song, a fragment caught on the spur of an otherwise raging cacophony.
Imagine a world without such souls.
Yes, it should have been harder to do.”
-Toll the Hounds

8BitNinja
2016-05-02, 10:49 PM
"Belloq: How odd that it should end this way for us after so many stimulating encounters. I almost regret it. Where shall I find a new adversary so close to my own level?

Indiana: Try the local sewer"

-Raiders of the Lost Ark

Conundrumist
2016-05-03, 06:45 PM
There's no sense crying over every mistake; you just keep on trying till you run out of cake

8BitNinja
2016-05-03, 08:00 PM
There's no sense crying over every mistake; you just keep on trying till you run out of cake

But when the science get's done, then you make a neat gun; for the people who are still alive

Conundrumist
2016-05-07, 05:44 PM
We do what we must because we can.

We do what we can because we must.

Lord Raziere
2016-05-07, 07:14 PM
"Its A Beautiful Day Outside. Birds Are Singing, Flowers Are Blooming, On Days like these, people like you....SHOULD BE BURNING IN HELL."
-can be used in two ways:
1. the saying of a highly judging person who is faced with evil everyday and wants to protect the good things he sees around him
2. describing the character themselves, a character so evil that the world should celebrate when they get tortured for all eternity

"I have a question for ya. Do you think that even the worst person can change? That everyone can be a good person, if they just try?"
again two uses:
1. the person saying it probably a very kind person who sees the good in everyone no matter what they've done
2. describes a hypothetical worst person who might be asking it to themselves if they can change and be better after all they've done

-both quotes by Sans.

eru001
2016-05-08, 01:25 AM
If you can't do something smart, try doing something right
-Serenity

8BitNinja
2016-05-08, 01:59 AM
One from my dad when we were fishing

"Is something in my leg? Because I feel something in my leg"

A good one for a character in a party who is prone to friendly fire

If it isn't a good one at all, I just wanted to share it because I thought it was kind of funny (I don't know why)

DarthSpader
2016-05-08, 11:15 AM
“I just want you to know: this whole ‘beat you to death-thing’ I’m doing is valuable time out of my life that I’m never going to get back.” - Glorificus

8BitNinja
2016-05-08, 02:01 PM
"sunset... all I can see is the color of blood" -Shin, Area 88

eru001
2016-05-08, 06:52 PM
If you get hurt, hurt them back. If you get killed, walk it off.
-Steve Rogers, Age of Ultron

Cluedrew
2016-05-08, 07:20 PM
If it isn't a good one at all, I just wanted to share it because I thought it was kind of funny (I don't know why)It is kind of funny, just because it is weird and quirky. But yeah, the only things I can think of for this quote generally work in the context of horror movies and the character dying. Hard to build a... reoccurring character off of that. 6/9 Quotes made this draft.

-Complete History of the Soviet Union, Arranged to the Melody of Tetris

The evil business man. Someone who is in it for number one. Someone who believes that making and spending money are the ultimate objectives of life.-E-man, or so I was told

A coward who knows no shame in being a coward. Useful way to stay alive if you can't stand and fight. likely to be a short drive."']-Between Failures

A someone who is close to crazy, but isn't. Maybe they only go crazy under stress? Maybe they tread the line? Maybe they are just a little bit crazy already? You could spin it a number of different ways.-Ben Franklin, I got it from Between Failures

The violent keeper of secrets. Makes me think of a silencer for some criminal organization.I guess this is someone who knows just enough that they have to know more. It could work for someone who stumbled into a hidden world in the setting, or one who found part of the great mystery, and just charges into finding the rest.

Spun a different way, one who looks down on the unintelligent masses.-Proverb, but I got it from Alice and the Nightmare

Similar to the ignorance is bliss variant, but the vibe is a little bit different. Here they almost seem to be saying something like "the curiosity is killing me!" and that when they found the answer it made it better. I guess it is the past tense that give the more consistent feel, this is something that has already happened and if you are going to make a character of it then it might as well of happened enough times that it is bound to happen again.

A detective, a scholar or an explorer, someone who just keeps on searching for the answers.

8BitNinja
2016-05-08, 10:55 PM
"Where on my torso can I be shot and not die?"

goto124
2016-05-09, 01:11 AM
-Ben Franklin, I got it from Between Failures

The violent keeper of secrets. Makes me think of a silencer for some criminal organization.

Obviously not a world where Speak with Dead, Raise Dead, and such are things that exist :smalltongue:

eru001
2016-05-09, 01:38 AM
Obviously not a world where Speak with Dead, Raise Dead, and such are things that exist :smalltongue:

unless you like true but unhelpful answers, dead men do in fact tell no tales even in these universes. for example http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0845.html

and a quote

The smallest caskets are the heaviest. I will crush you as you have crushed me.

-A character who is now driven only by revenge. (from a campaign I played in)

Lord Raziere
2016-05-09, 03:51 AM

Both spells require a corpse. Anyone smart and extreme enough to force secrets to be kept by dead bodies is smart enough to dispose of those corpses because they're evidence for perfectly mundane reasons without magic involved. those spells just give an added incentive to dispose the corpse in a way no one can find them. there is a reason the mafia cliche "sleeping with the fishes" is used as a euphemism: it means throwing the corpse into the ocean with weights on them so that they will sink into the depths of water. from then on, no one will be able to find the corpse, because no one goes swimming into cold open water and goes diving down deep into it just to find one, and any spell that can bring someone back without a corpse is really high level and likely not known by most clerics.

two spells foiled by some rope, a weight and any big body of water. or if your lacking the third thing, burning the corpse then scattering the ashes works as well.

people really don't give mundane methods enough credit. I could design an entire world around how mundane people can exploit the weaknesses of vancian magic to survive.

Beacon of Chaos
2016-05-09, 05:19 AM
Some of my favourite MtG quotes.

"I used to joke that he had been exiled for being too smart. Now I know why he never laughed."
—Glissa Sunseeker, about Slobad (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=51055)

"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions."
—Braids, Cabal Minion (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=29947)

"If I says it's a troll, it's a troll. Goblins is always right in Mercadia."
—Squee (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=19630)

"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead."
—Jaya Ballard, task mage ("Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage)

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."
—Jaya Ballard, task mage (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=45358)

Vknight
2016-05-09, 05:24 AM
This I will use this in some fashion for a campaign to describe the character or as an aspect in FATE.
Calm as a Water Heater With No Safeties

8BitNinja
2016-05-09, 06:02 PM
"Now mostly dead is slightly alive" - Miracle Max, The Princess Bride

Conundrumist
2016-05-10, 04:34 PM
Don't Panic.

8BitNinja
2016-05-10, 05:06 PM
"A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat." -Louis L'amour

eru001
2016-05-11, 01:04 AM
A good leader must be able to stand alone, yet must command such loyalty that he never has to.

If you would lead, first learn to follow.

A good leader generously shares credit, and jealously claims blame.

A good leader often says "follow me" and rarely"go there"

when instructing a pupil, a wise man explains a task in seven ways

8BitNinja
2016-05-11, 01:27 PM
"We must never give up the fight. The minute we do that, we have lost." Ezio Auditore Da Firenze, Assassin's Creed II

DMwithoutPC's
2016-05-11, 02:24 PM
"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist"

8BitNinja
2016-05-11, 04:47 PM
I know it's not a quote but

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iHdguiiGxaU/VIWPBI4_viI/AAAAAAAAAlQ/cdHD9qZRVPo/s1600/16684_356104704571345_1577568391540855852_n.jpg

Efrate
2016-05-11, 06:37 PM
Briefly skimmed topic dunno if this one has been said but it one of my favorites.

"Only two things are infinite. The multiverse and [insert race here] stupidity. And I am not sure about the multiverse." Adapted from Albert Einstein. Good for any arrogant or racist caster. LN or LE likely. Could work on any actual race that has a favored enemy and a tactical mind as well.

eru001
2016-05-12, 12:40 AM
All from Lord Baden Powell, founder of the World Scouting Movement. (The Boy Scouts)

Mind you, I have had in my sojourn on earth as good a time of it as any man, so I can speak with some knowledge. A writer in the Manchester Guardian who is unknown to me lately described me as "the richest man in the world." That sounds a pretty big order, but when I come to think it out I believe he is not far wrong. A rich man is not necessarily a man with a whole pot of money but a man who is really happy. And I am that

It is risky to order a boy not to do something; it immediately opens to him the adventure of doing it

O God, help me to win, but in thy wisdom if thou willest me not to win, then O God, make me a good loser

We should take care, in inculcating patriotism into our boys and girls, that is a patriotism above the narrow sentiment which usually stops at one's country, and thus inspires jealousy and enmity in dealing with others... Our patriotism should be of the wider, nobler kind which recognises justice and reasonableness in the claims of others and which lead our country into comradeship with...the other nations of the world

A Scout is never taken by surprise; he knows exactly what to do when anything unexpected happens

Try to leave this world a little better than you found it and, when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but have done your best

Look wide, and even when you think you are looking wide - look wider still

Happiness is open to all, since, when you boil it down, it merely consists of contentment with what you have got and doing what you can for other people

applicable to any Good leader or character

goto124
2016-05-12, 03:22 AM
"Only two things are infinite. The multiverse and [insert race here] stupidity. And I am not sure about the multiverse." Adapted from Albert Einstein. Good for any arrogant or racist caster. LN or LE likely. Could work on any actual race that has a favored enemy and a tactical mind as well.

Cut out a small bit to get "Only two things are infinite. The multiverse and stupidity. And I am not sure about the multiverse."

Aka, the Wizard who Hates Everyone!

8BitNinja
2016-05-12, 12:11 PM
Cut out a small bit to get "Only two things are infinite. The multiverse and stupidity. And I am not sure about the multiverse."

Aka, the Wizard who Hates Everyone!

Hey, this is 50% of what my best friend plays

Conundrumist
2016-05-12, 05:14 PM
A good man draws a circle around himself and cares for those within – his woman, his children. Other men draw a larger circle and bring within their brothers and sisters. But some men have a great destiny. They must draw around themselves a circle that includes many, many more.

8BitNinja
2016-05-12, 06:02 PM
"Hey, you mix potions right? Can you brew me an ale?" -Hold Guard #894, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

A good one who is really good at making potions and drinks

Lord Raziere
2016-05-12, 10:08 PM
"As a rule of thumb, trust those who are kind to children. Such kindness is proof that they can treat those meeker and weaker than them with respect when at any time they could abuse their power over them towards cruel or selfish ends."

8BitNinja
2016-05-12, 11:03 PM
"As a rule of thumb, trust those who are kind to children. Such kindness is proof that they can treat those meeker and weaker than them with respect when at any time they could abuse their power over them towards cruel or selfish ends."

A good one for a good aligned person who seems to always take care of children, or a character like Joel from The Last of Us.

Efrate
2016-05-13, 12:15 AM
"Lad, that window won that fight. Twice." said to our ranger by our duskblade.

Our ranger, in his infinite wisdom, wanted to make a cool entrance and jump through a window that was old, stuck, and partially boarded up (there was a battle in the alleyway behind the building they were in). I figure a DC 11 is fine, it takes a bit to force through, less than a shoddy wood door which is 13. He runs leaps makes his strength check with a +2 circumstance bonus, rolls a 1. With a strength bonus of 1. He falls down, rebuffed by a fairly thin pane of glass and some old boards. Undaunted, he tries yet again. He loosened some boards, so I drop the DC to 8. Gets up runs, jumps, and rolls a 2. For a total of 5. Next round he decides to hit it with his shortsword, and does 1 point of damage since objects take half damage (rolled a one again). He then goes to jump out of the weakened glass (DC 5 now) and rolls a 19. Right as the fight ends. The kicker? There was an open door about ten feet behind him that he easily could have walked out and around if not immediately but after his second failure.

Or he could have just opened the window.

Wilko
2016-05-13, 03:25 AM
I really like this idea, i once based an entire character off the song "Sympathy for the Devil"

I've always thought Babylon 5 was a gold mine for quotable lines

I really hate it when you get heroic. Cuts into my business. A man's got to earn a living, you know - Michael Garibaldi

You should never hand someone a gun unless you're sure where they'll point it. Your mistake. - Jeffrey Sinclair

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of ... These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

"No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother." Not for millions…not for glory…not for fame. For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.

Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.

Londo: Because I have asked you. Because your loyalty to our people should be greater than your ambition. And because I have poisoned your drink.

Marcus: Because if you don't, then in five minutes, I will be the only person at this table still standing.
[Five Mins Later] Bugger! Now I have to wait for someone to wake up.

Marcus: I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.

I am a Ranger! We walk in the dark places no others will enter! We stand on the bridge and no one may pass! We live for the One, we die for the One!

We thought you were dead.
[deadpan] I was. I'm better now.

G'Kar: I have seen what power does, and I have seen what power costs. The one is never equal to the other.

Dukhat: When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be

Ivanova: Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me.

G'Kar: You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it.

Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet! You can travel further with both than you can with just one.

Londo Mollari: On my world, we have learned that an inauguration is simply a signal to assassins that a new target has been set up on the firing range.

Bester [to Franklin]: You're an optimist. Thank you. I had almost forgotten what one of your kind looked like.

Galen: If sometimes dreams come true, then what of our nightmares?

"You shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize."
—Mr. White, Reservoir Dogs

"I can kill anything that exists, even if it's a god."
— Shiki Ryougi, Kara no Kyoukai

We might be facing 50 million monsters, but those monsters would be facing the gods!
—Tomonaja Ijiro, World War Z

A guy opens his door and gets shot, you think that of me? No, I am the one who knocks!
— Walter White, Breaking Bad

I just surfed a robo Dracula from the moon, so all yalls can just take it!
— Dr. McNinja, The Adventures of Dr. McNinja

Vknight
2016-05-13, 04:06 AM
"Victory is not in these simple things of besting the opponent on the battlefield, I have won this battle, I will win this war, no victory would have never having had to go to war"

"Never bet big the cards can always turn things against you"

"Love is a gorgeous dangerous, violent, and beautiful thing. Do not forget that or let it go you will regret it; I still am"

"I do not care what you want to be called, how you see yourself, or what you see yourself as. I work in the realm of science, so I do not have times for a flight of fancy"

"I do not care what you want to be called, or how you want to be seen. Change your morph if you don't like it and get over your self-entitled bull" : A variant more built around Eclipse Phase.

"No. Your simply wrong, its not a matter of opinion, its not what you believe. You could believe the sky is raining unicorns right now and it would not change the cold hard reality you want to avoid"

"Hate is a strong emotion to feel about someone. I don't hate people, just am not a fan of people, its not malicious its not something I put my time towards it simply is."

"No the killing part, that is easy the adrenaline, the damage that surprise strike will do. You will have the ball in your court from the first seconds. No what is hard is when things die down it cools off, what happens then that is hard, that is when you go can I live with myself?"

"Being foolish isn't relentless optimism; it's when you call them a fool"

"To be critic of something you must watch/read what have you the media in question. Your not a critic for saying something sucks and not bothering to put the effort towards it your just a jerk"

"I think your looking at this in the wrong light. Yes I want to kill you, but its your own fault for angering the right people"

"Do I feel guilt? Yes but I'm not letting it cloud my choices, my judgement or my reasoning, you have a choice and that choice means lives, so do you take it?"

"If you draw that, well you have a choice there. The moment you draw that you can't change it"

"Only a great fool would think in such a manner, but then again what am I if not a fool?"

"Listen well in a throne room befriend a fool for he is wise, in ways that you shall come to know"

"Mourn not the passing of others, for they are in a better place and then why should you mourn them?"

"Cosmic Horror, is boring you want to scare me with the story of a big fish. We built the Pyramids, charted the sea, and have walked on the moon; no a big fish doesn't scare me."

"So none of us are worried about the fact an SCP which is in minimum containment, that it almost killed 682... no... no one at all is scared by how dangerous that thing could be"

"I find your lack of pants most intriguing but shall we leave this for another time, another place, more candles and some personal contact"

"No I'm going to fight the monster like this if your going to get me up at this hour I'll kill it now, then worry about getting dressed later"

goto124
2016-05-13, 08:44 AM
Some of these quotes feel overly harsh, maybe even discriminatory, outside their original context...

8BitNinja
2016-05-13, 11:58 AM
Some of these quotes feel overly harsh, maybe even discriminatory, outside their original context...

I'm not sure I'm seeing the harsh/discriminatory part. Are you sure it's there?

But then again, my tolerance for rude/vulgar/obscene comments is extremely high.

HalfTangible
2016-05-13, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure I'm seeing the harsh/discriminatory part. Are you sure it's there?

But then again, my tolerance for rude/vulgar/obscene comments is extremely high.

Same.

Harsh, maybe. I don't see discriminatory anywhere

8BitNinja
2016-05-13, 01:22 PM
Same.

Harsh, maybe. I don't see discriminatory anywhere

Some of these quotes are talking about people in harsh situations, like Rocky Balboa said

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life."

PersonMan
2016-05-13, 04:09 PM
A good one for a good aligned person who seems to always take care of children, or a character like Joel from The Last of Us.

I feel like it's exactly the kind of quote you'd get about that kind of person, but something they wouldn't say themselves.

"I don't. I don't think I'm better than them, actually. I stared too long into the abyss and now it stares back out of my eyes. The difference is that I will wade through the blood of the guilty and emerge to kneel down and accept whatever justice is given to me. I will consume the darkness in those I kill and let the righteous blade of my executioner purge it from the world."

eru001
2016-05-13, 05:38 PM
God created all men equal, Samuel Colt made it so.
-A gunslinger

If my chute don't open wide, I got a reserve by my side, if that one should fail me too, look out ground I'm comin through
- C130 cadence. good for a gung-ho character.

where a goat can go, a man can go, and where a man can go, he can drag a gun.
-an artilleryman

8BitNinja
2016-05-13, 05:42 PM
I feel like it's exactly the kind of quote you'd get about that kind of person, but something they wouldn't say themselves.

I thought this was "quotes to build a character off of" not "quotes the character would say"

But I could be wrong. It that case, my mistake

Vknight
2016-05-13, 08:59 PM

I doubt any of them have original context. I made them up myself I went with a bit of a harsh tone to go against the grain as it were. Going for characters who could be opposition or take a view very different from others on things.
The closest to an actual quote is the mourn not the passing of others. Then again maybe these are similar to actual quotes I cannot say.
The fact I'm not a constant cynic says a lot about my willing to be an optimist.

Feste : Good lady why does though mourn?
Olivia : Good Fool why for my brothers death.
Feste : I think his soul is in hell
Olivia : I know his soul is in heaven fool
Feste : More fool, to mourn for your brothers soul in heaven, take away the fool gentlemen

"Even the wise king Solomon was fooled never forget that"

"I am an optimist, I see the bad but if you only focus on that you'll miss all that marvelous beauty"

Really, most of the stuff from Melody Sheep could have a use.
Also music in general because lyrics can hold brilliant little ideas for quotes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2e_M06YDyY)

"No don't worry rest I'll make sure we make it,you can rely on me"

"Feel the world within you and around you, breathe it and relax the world isn't perfect but we can still do good"

8BitNinja
2016-05-13, 10:59 PM
I doubt any of them have original context. I made them up myself I went with a bit of a harsh tone to go against the grain as it were. Going for characters who could be opposition or take a view very different from others on things.

Mmm... Gritty

Vknight
2016-05-14, 12:09 AM
Mmm... Gritty

Yup, that is one way to put it

I've written up some super cool scenarios that I would love to talk about in depth but this isn't the place.

8BitNinja
2016-05-14, 01:14 AM
Yup, that is one way to put it

I've written up some super cool scenarios that I would love to talk about in depth but this isn't the place.

Are you usually a really deep person?

Vknight
2016-05-14, 08:30 AM
Are you usually a really deep person?

All things considered?
Eh, being deep and introspective has its place, but one needs to relax at times and enjoy the Rock fighting Christopher Walken in the Amazon.

So the answer is yes and no, I don't recommend always being deep, sometimes you need to relax.
My suggestion if you want to have that relaxed mix of being deep well still enjoying things which are fun; is get accused of something horrible that you didn't do, really makes you think.

8BitNinja
2016-05-14, 09:04 PM
All things considered?
Eh, being deep and introspective has its place, but one needs to relax at times and enjoy the Rock fighting Christopher Walken in the Amazon.

So the answer is yes and no, I don't recommend always being deep, sometimes you need to relax.
My suggestion if you want to have that relaxed mix of being deep well still enjoying things which are fun; is get accused of something horrible that you didn't do, really makes you think.

Join the A-Team?

They'll never let me in, I can actually hit a target

Cluedrew
2016-05-15, 07:24 AM
-Widdershins

Not exactly a hardened criminal, but someone who doesn't mind going outside the law when the situation calls for it. Or maybe a criminal who is trying to work with someone more law abiding.-Widdershins

New gold standard for the rogue archetype right here."Sounds good t' me." -Widdershins

Prepared, but not in the sense of everything is carefully laid out. Instead they just make sure they have some problem solving... tools on hand.-Widdershins

I just love this idea, because it so clearly explains what a magician might be doing among wizards and sorcerers.-Widdershins

Some people just think the world revolves around them.-Widdershins

I find the contrast between minimising collateral damage and accepting that it is going to happen interesting. An element of an optimistic or caring outlook but enough experience to know that things are not going to go perfectly.-Widdershins

A proud trouble maker.-Widdershins

A determined trouble maker.

8BitNinja
2016-05-15, 02:15 PM
-Widdershins

Not exactly a hardened criminal, but someone who doesn't mind going outside the law when the situation calls for it. Or maybe a criminal who is trying to work with someone more law abiding.-Widdershins

New gold standard for the rogue archetype right here."Sounds good t' me." -Widdershins

Prepared, but not in the sense of everything is carefully laid out. Instead they just make sure they have some problem solving... tools on hand.-Widdershins

I just love this idea, because it so clearly explains what a magician might be doing among wizards and sorcerers.-Widdershins

Some people just think the world revolves around them.-Widdershins

I find the contrast between minimising collateral damage and accepting that it is going to happen interesting. An element of an optimistic or caring outlook but enough experience to know that things are not going to go perfectly.-Widdershins

A proud trouble maker.-Widdershins

A determined trouble maker.

I guess you've been reading Widdershins recently.

Probably a very slim chance though

Cluedrew
2016-05-15, 07:52 PM
Sheesh 8Bit, don't go making assumptions just because it has been the ad banner for a week. ... Does everyone see the same adds on this site? Because that is the one I have been seeing for a while (before I did an archive run on it actually).

It is one of those comics/stories that just seems to generate quotes you can build a character off of.* I'm not sure what it is, something in the writing style. It is not quality, not general quality at least, because I have read/watched/played fantastic stories that have generated all of 0 quotes that qualify and have read so-so stories that have generated ridiculous amounts of quotes. I suppose there might be terrible stories that generate good quotes too, but I don't read those.
*For some reason I suddenly feel it should be quotes you can build a character from.
Which leads to a different question that I have been thinking about recently. What makes a good quote you can build a character off of?

I was going to say they have to be about a character, but that isn't exactly true. Sure quotes that directly speak of a character work well: "I am from the beginning to the end, a crescendo." and so do others about say philosophy also work: "Violence is not the answer. Violence is the question. The answer is yes." OK, that might quite be philosophy but it says something about one's outlook, which is very close to identity. But you can also get a lot out of information out a snippet about something very different: "Did you punch the head of the thief's guild?" "Yes sir." "Why?" "Didn't have a knife sir." On the other hand sometimes quotes about a person don't give that... seed from which you can make a character: "I'm a carpenter."

Similarly I don't think quality is enough, there are some very good quotes that don't say much about a particular person. "If you love something, let it go. If it comes back its yours. If it doesn't it never was." I think this is a nice quote about love, but if you asked for a character from it I got some kind of romantic and that is about it.

So that leaves us with... not a whole lot. Which is part of the reason that I've been thinking about it recently, if I could pin it down I would have stopped. You can make a character from almost any quote but some... just seem to lead more naturally into a character. Other times I look at a quote and just know that... this is someone, even if it takes me a while to figure out who that is. The last example of that I can think of is "Don't worry, I'm the reason the monsters hide in the closet."

That is what I have so far on the matter.

8BitNinja
2016-05-15, 10:48 PM
Sheesh 8Bit, don't go making assumptions just because it has been the ad banner for a week.

Calm down boss, I didn't mean to be discriminatory, I'll change my adist ways.

Vknight
2016-05-16, 01:35 AM
Join the A-Team?

They'll never let me in, I can actually hit a target

You'll be perfect then I'd assume
Hmmm don't know if your making joke. Anyways less deep introspection and more chainsaws.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-05-16, 04:12 AM
You'll be perfect then I'd assume
Hmmm don't know if your making joke. Anyways less deep introspection and more chainsaws.

I think the joke is that the A-Team are known for their memetic (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ATeamFiring)level of inaccuracy.

Vwrt
2016-05-16, 06:55 AM
"The body of a dead enemy always smells good." - Charles IX

The character I just created for a new Pathfinder campaign is a tiefling, and when I saw the Soul Seer variant racial ability which allows you to use Deathwatch at will, my whole character snapped into focus right there. I remembered a coat of arms for (I think I remember it being) a scottish clan with a bloody dagger on it and the gaelic motto "I mak sikker" (I know I'm not spelling that correctly so apologies to any gaelic speakers here), meaning "I make sure." I seem to remember the accompanying story being one of a king or prominent commander being slain and a member of this clan that was there stepping up with his dagger to poke the corpse and say the line because he wanted to be damned sure the guy was dead, and apparently it stuck, although it's been at least twenty years or so since I read about it so some of the details are a little fuzzy in my head. Now I have a new character who takes professional pride in sweeping the battlefield after a combat to find any opponents who are faking or might still be stabilized and 'making sure.'

goto124
2016-05-16, 09:43 AM
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back its yours. If it doesn't it never was." I think this is a nice quote about love, but if you asked for a character from it I got some kind of romantic and that is about it.

A character who is very much for freedom and against possessiveness in relationships. Might have been hurt in the past, such as from being 'possessed' by an overly attached girl/boyfriend. Or maybe just read one too many romance novels.

Such a character could go the other extreme, and refuse to take any action or put in any amount of effort towards relationships, in the mistaken belief that a 'real' relationship will work out magically for them.

I seem to remember the accompanying story being one of a king or prominent commander being slain and a member of this clan that was there stepping up with his dagger to poke the corpse and say the line because he wanted to be damned sure the guy was dead,

"True adventurers burn the corpses and scatter the ashes in water!" :smalltongue:

HalfTangible
2016-05-16, 09:56 AM
A character who is very much for freedom and against possessiveness in relationships. Might have been hurt in the past, such as from being 'possessed' by an overly attached girl/boyfriend. Or maybe just read one too many romance novels.

Such a character could go the other extreme, and refuse to take any action or put in any amount of effort towards relationships, in the mistaken belief that a 'real' relationship will work out magically for them.

"True adventurers burn the corpses and scatter the ashes in water!" :smalltongue:

"New adventures open the door. Someone who's done a few quests will check the door for traps. Experienced ones will be checking the ceiling."

goto124
2016-05-16, 10:03 AM
"New adventures open the door. Someone who's done a few quests will check the door for traps. Experienced ones will be checking the ceiling."

This is why (http://www.moebiusadventures.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/dndlurkerabove.jpg).

8BitNinja
2016-05-16, 10:06 AM
I think the joke is that the A-Team are known for their memetic (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ATeamFiring)level of inaccuracy.

@VKnight: It was supposed to be a joke for this very reason

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-05-16, 11:31 AM

Amateurs. REAL adventurers burn the corpses and chuck the ashes in a Sphere of Annihilation (or failing that, Limbo, the Negative Energy Plane, the heart of a sun, or the nearest available substitute). That's the Sigil way!

Speaking of which:

Malone: What are you prepared to do?
Ness: Everything within the law.
Malone: And then what are you prepared to do?

Malone: You want to get Capone? Here's how you get him. He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way, and that's how you get Capone! (replace location, target and method as appropriate)

Both from The Untouchables, naturally.

8BitNinja
2016-05-16, 01:26 PM
Just saw Captain America: Civil War, so I have to post one from the movie.

"I don't know if you've been in a fight before, but there's usually not this much talking." -Falcon

2D8HP
2016-05-18, 07:16 AM
There are Old Characters and there are Bold characters, but there are very few Old and Bold characters.
Cautious and crafty veteran adventurer.

8BitNinja
2016-05-18, 12:06 PM
"What's in the box?" -Samuel L. Jackson

Every adventurer ever

Lord Raziere
2016-05-18, 01:15 PM

A-Team Vs. Stormtroopers: which one is the worst shot?

anyways, trying to make up quotes for a character who can be morose without being annoying:

"Oh. Somethings gone wrong. I knew it."

"It'll all end in tears. It always does, for somebody. Preferably my enemies, but thats never a guarantee."

"Its depressing how saving the entire world has become something normal for us. In a better world, we wouldn't need to."

"Another trap. When you think about it, its kind of sad what it says about people that they design such elaborate means to just keep others out."

"No, I don't feel guilty for their deaths, they were completely evil. But in a better world, there would be no such thing as completely evil. Says something about the world, doesn't it?"

"I won't give up, mostly because whether you give up or not, things will end in tears either way, so at least try to accomplish something until then."

"Sigh......don't make me kill you. I just want to relax for a while. No? Oh well, its your death."

8BitNinja
2016-05-18, 01:33 PM
A-Team Vs. Stormtroopers: which one is the worst shot?

The A-Team. At least the Stormtroopers did hit every once in a while

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-05-18, 03:46 PM

Honestly, the Stormtroopers accuracy isn't that bad by mook standards. It's not their fault they have to go up against people who can deflect their shots and who the universe is literally biased towards.

HalfTangible
2016-05-18, 04:21 PM
Honestly, the Stormtroopers accuracy isn't that bad by mook standards. It's not their fault they have to go up against people who can deflect their shots and who the universe is literally biased towards.

That, and there's that theory floating around that the Stormtroopers are actually competent and we just happened to keep seeing them when they were either disadvantaged or under orders to NOT hit things.

gmoyes
2016-05-18, 04:57 PM

This reminds me of a joke I've heard: What happens when a bunch of Stormtroopers battle with a bunch of Star Trek Redshirts?

The Stormtrooper miss every shot, but the Redshirts die anyways.

Anyway, on topic:

"If someone doesn't mature by age 50, they don't have to."

The older guy who still knows how to have fun.

8BitNinja
2016-05-18, 07:32 PM
“Hey, kid, you did quite well… It looks like you may be gaining some slight skill… But you have defeated only my phantom… When you fight the real me, it won’t be so easy! What a worthless creation that ghost was! I will banish it to the gap between both dimensions!!”- Ganondorf, Ocarina of Time

A good one for a BBEG

Oh wait, it is from a BBEG

Vknight
2016-05-19, 07:30 AM
That, and there's that theory floating around that the Stormtroopers are actually competent and we just happened to keep seeing them when they were either disadvantaged or under orders to NOT hit things.

It fits I mean look at the damage to everyone's favorite skeleton aunt and uncle.

8BitNinja
2016-05-19, 09:57 AM

I still laugh when I hear old Ben say "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise"

HalfTangible
2016-05-19, 10:22 AM
Ah, found it! (http://imgur.com/gallery/w5MHii8)

"I know exactly what it is like to leave someone behind. That is how you know I never will. Can you claim the same?"

8BitNinja
2016-05-19, 12:41 PM
"That's my secret captain, I'm always angry" - Dr. Banner, The Avengers

A good one for a barbarian or someone who weaponizes their rage

Teapot Salty
2016-05-23, 02:16 PM
"You! *Smash* Don't! *Smash* Own! *Smash* These Streets! *Smash* ANYMORE! *SMASH!!*"-Soldier 76, Hero, said while slamming a lamp into a thugs head. Works for any vigilante or cop.

"Peace through force when necessary"

"You want to get hit again!"
"You didn't hit me, I blocked it...with my face."

8BitNinja
2016-05-23, 04:47 PM
"All right, Lockett. You wanna go there. Let's go there. I commanded men and men died. Kids. 19 years old. The best men I ever led. Do you think for a second I wouldn't rather trade places with them? I know you think I got my men killed. They're dead. I'm here. Like the punchline to some bad joke. You think I like that? Do you think a minute goes by that those faces aren't right here
[points to head]
seared into my brain?" -Staff Sargent Michael Nantz, Battle Los Angeles

Rakoa
2016-05-23, 08:13 PM
"You! *Smash* Don't! *Smash* Own! *Smash* These Streets! *Smash* ANYMORE! *SMASH!!*"-Soldier 76, Hero, said while slamming a lamp into a thugs head. Works for any vigilante or cop.

Actually, I believe that was a pinata. :smallbiggrin:

Professor Gnoll
2016-05-23, 09:18 PM
A few evocative Moon Knight quotes:

"I died once. It was boring, so I stood up."

"People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?"

"Let me tell you a thing about me. People who love me suffer and die. I never want to be loved. That's why I always win."

8BitNinja
2016-05-24, 04:31 AM
"Good friends don't let you do stupid things... alone" -Anonymous

goto124
2016-05-24, 11:35 PM
"Don't be ridiculous!"
"Aww, but I'm so good at it!"

- 2:55 of this show (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1c7hae_my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-s04e14-filli-vanilli-1080p_fun).

8BitNinja
2016-05-24, 11:40 PM
"Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die, serve right and justice one last time, seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain. Cut well, old friend, and then farewell." - Sir Orin Neville Smythe, The Flight of Dragons

I think this is a good one for a paladin

eru001
2016-05-25, 08:01 AM
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight, let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, green lantern's light.
-green lantern oath, pretty good for a paladin I'd say.

Never before was so much owed by so many, to so few
-Winston Churchill

Sir, I'd like to report for disciplinary action, I take full responsibility for the failure.
Failure? This was an amazing success, they're putting you up for a medal!
-Colonel Doolittle being informed by his superiors after returning home that his mission was a success. (Up until he stepped off the plane that brought him home from china he believed that the raid had been a failure and that he would be court marshaled. instead he was awarded the congressional medal of honor)

8BitNinja
2016-05-25, 04:42 PM
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight, let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, green lantern's light.
-green lantern oath, pretty good for a paladin I'd say.

Good enough for me, I'm using it

Cluedrew
2016-05-31, 05:01 PM

Such a character could go the other extreme, and refuse to take any action or put in any amount of effort towards relationships, in the mistaken belief that a 'real' relationship will work out magically for them.OK, maybe I should clarify. Any quote can be turned into a character but some quotes lend themselves more naturally to it. I'm not sure what it is, and it could very well depend on the reader. Maybe it is something impossible to quantify or even describe meaningfully.

In the end it probably doesn't matter, I'm going to keep on posting quotes that my instinct tells me are good even if I can't wrap my head around the meta-theory as to why they are good. Speaking of which:

-Widdershins

I actually like the exasperated one here. A more morale character (compared to the other party members) yet one who understands sometimes the bad stuff just has to happen. Not that they are happy about that.-Widdershins

It doesn't have to be colour, but I like the idea of characters who (even if only once) can express wonder at extremely ordinary things.

Here is another one that sprung to mind:
"Why is my hand bigger than the trees?" -Amya Chronicles-atomic laundromat

Keep or toss the bit about the law degree, making gadgets that easily could be your entire power-source for a character and it would still be a strong character.-Jonathan Tronba (a commenter)

Some people just can't hold a grudge. Maybe they are naive or maybe they just are that kind.-Widdershins

In other words: stay focused. Some times you just got to keep people on track to saving the world. I sympathize with that.-Nonesuch (a commenter)

I think it was a quote from somewhere else. I can't quite put my finger on this one but this character's last act was to issue a challenge to the gods. (Or that's my reading.) I'm not sure what that says but it says it strongly. -Widdershins

Kleptomaniac to the point it is an accidental reflect. Might be a good explanation for a more innocent rogue character.This made me want to make a Mutantants and Masterminds character who has power descriptor: awesomeness on all their moves. That might get old fast but if you could pull it off I have no doubt it would be awesome.

Relevant: "He was so deadly in fact, that his enemies would go blind from overexposure to pure awesomeness." - Kung Fu Panda~Warrior Within

There is actually two parts of this, the first part where they demand to be fought fairly, which shows some condensation and anger, and the second where they layout their standards, which shows they have them. Someone who has high standards both for themselves and for others, and does not think well of those who do not meet them.-Widdershins

Family and friends of adventurers.A young mad scientist except for the fact that they actually seem to display some common sense or restraint.

Can you be sane and still be a mad scientist? I mean that is defiantly some mad science results there. A sane practitioner of mad science?-Jeff Eppenbach (a commenter)

A more controlled avenger. Or a really intense & philosophic police officer.-Between Failures

Which is funny because an excess of combat ability (because the character is capable) is not usually an issue in an RPG. However in some situations resorting to it too soon or too frequently can be a problem and I think that is what this speaks to.-El Goonish Shive

I have no idea, but I'm sure someone could think of something. It is very... distinct.-El Goonish Shive

Besides the "lets poke it with a stick" attitude there is just this implication that some just left the Area 51 fact sheets lying around. I smell a quest coming.In other news, I think I may limit myself to say a half-dozen per post from now on. This is a lot.

But I have one more still, this one I would like to pitch and see what others come up with.

"I claim the right to be human."
"So you are essentially claiming the right to feel pain. The right to be unhappy. The right to fail, to be sick, to grow old. The right to die."
"I claim them all."
"You are welcome to them."

8BitNinja
2016-05-31, 05:27 PM
OK, maybe I should clarify. Any quote can be turned into a character but some quotes lend themselves more naturally to it. I'm not sure what it is, and it could very well depend on the reader. Maybe it is something impossible to quantify or even describe meaningfully.

Really? Then turn this into a character

"Hello"

HalfTangible
2016-05-31, 05:50 PM

"Hello"

Dee dee is that you?

Lord Raziere
2016-05-31, 06:35 PM

"Hello"

I can think of many characters, depending on the intonation of "Hello".

"Hel-looooooo!"-sing-song trilling voice, perhaps a bard
"Hello...."-forlorn speaker, kind of sad
"Hello?"-curious, constantly exploring type.
"HELLO!"-boisterous, tough rowdy type of person with no indoor voice
"Hello!"-cheery chipper kind of person, always looking on the bright side of life
".....Hello."-nervous person meeting something they didn't expect, or somebody being cautious
"Hell-O (Devil)"-a comedian fond of puns meeting a devil.

there six of them. all from "hello".

Cluedrew
2016-05-31, 07:22 PM

"Hello"The mysterious stranger who arrives in town. Except no fan-fair, no dramatic entrance they just appear and say "Hello". That for some reason that popped into the moment I read that.

Am I filling in a lot of details and making a lot of new information yes. But you can still make a character from it.

Another one, a little bit longer also pitching this one.

"I have pored everything I have into this fight. Hours of training, hours every week for the past 5 years. I have trained until my hands bled, wrapped them up and continued. I throw out I don't even know how many opportunities for my future because they were all stale and dead to me. This is my life, and I am willing to be it on this. AND FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING, if that still isn't enough, let me die."

Efrate
2016-05-31, 10:15 PM
Great one from Bruce Lee that I think would make an excellent character.

"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."

I really like this as a cleric/paladin of most any alignment. Depending on how you say it it could be good, evil, or neutral. You can sneeringly say it to a defeated foe as they beg for mercy as an LE character, morosely deliver it while passing sentance as a LN, or kindly mention to a child as a NG cleric. Great man, great quotes.

I also once made a druid that spoke only in Koans or Koan-like statements, was kind of a pain but got me to reading a lot of eastern philosophy. After nicely criting and eviseration something "I have never sharpened my knife." was a particular favorite, but my DM was a big fan of the Tao so it went over masterfully.

8BitNinja
2016-05-31, 11:45 PM
The mysterious stranger who arrives in town. Except no fan-fair, no dramatic entrance they just appear and say "Hello". That for some reason that popped into the moment I read that.

Am I filling in a lot of details and making a lot of new information yes. But you can still make a character from it.

Another one, a little bit longer also pitching this one.

I can think of many characters, depending on the intonation of "Hello".

"Hel-looooooo!"-sing-song trilling voice, perhaps a bard
"Hello...."-forlorn speaker, kind of sad
"Hello?"-curious, constantly exploring type.
"HELLO!"-boisterous, tough rowdy type of person with no indoor voice
"Hello!"-cheery chipper kind of person, always looking on the bright side of life
".....Hello."-nervous person meeting something they didn't expect, or somebody being cautious
"Hell-O (Devil)"-a comedian fond of puns meeting a devil.

there six of them. all from "hello".

Dee dee is that you?

Giant in the Playground, the only place on the internet where a joke challenge is actually taken.

HalfTangible
2016-05-31, 11:58 PM
Giant in the Playground, the only place on the internet where a joke challenge is actually taken.Heh. The internet has a habit of doing that, I find.

On another forum, I told a poster (in an argument over a thread idea) that a good writer could make a bucket of paint interesting. He told me I was full of s#@$.

I wrote a story about a bucket of paint.

He conceded, which was the only time I had ever seen that poster concede anything.

RyumaruMG
2016-06-01, 01:29 AM
"The world could always use more heroes."
-Tracer, Overwatch

"I have received orders which I must obey. Would you please let me in?"
"You can't come in! I can call the guards!"
"Believe me sir, that will only make it easier for me to obey."
"... alright, fine. You may enter."
-Corporal Carrot and Dr. Whiteface (paraphrased), Men at Arms

"Colon had seen men bluff with a bad hand before, but he had never seen someone bluff with no cards."
-Narration, Men at Arms, a reaction to the above

Carrot's orders were to walk away.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
-Sir Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-Samuel Vimes, Night Watch

"He created me. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who Watches the Watchmen?? Me. I watch him. Always."
-The Guarding Dark, Thud!

"I know about people who talk about suffering for the common good. It's never bloody them! When you hear a man shouting "Forward, brave comrades!" you'll see he's the one behind the bloody big rock and the one wearing the only really arrow-proof helmet!"
-Rincewind, Interesting Times

"They fight, they fall, and they cannot turn back because the whips drive them on, and all they know is whips, kill or be killed. Darkness in front of them, darkness behind them, darkness and whips in their heads. But what if you could take one out of this game, get him before the whips do, take him to a place without whips-what might he become? One creature. One singular being. Would you deny them that chance?"
-Nutt, Unseen Academicals

"Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough."
-Nutt, Unseen Academicals

“Do not act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling man!”
-Rule one of the Time Monks, Thief of Time

"Steal five dollars and you were a petty thief. Steal thousands of dollars and you were either a government or a hero."
-Narration, Going Postal

"‘What is sticking in your foot is a Mitzy “Pretty Lucretia” four-inch heel, the most dangerous footwear in the world. Considered as pounds per square inch, it’s like being trodden on by a very pointy elephant. Now, I know what you’re thinking: you’re thinking, “Could she press it all the way through to the floor?” And, you know, I’m not sure about that myself. The sole of your boot might give me a bit of trouble, but nothing else will. But that’s not the worrying part. The worrying part is that I was forced practically at knifepoint to take ballet lessons as a child, which means I can kick like a mule; you are sitting in front of me; and I have another shoe."
-Adora Belle Dearheart, Going Postal

"I’ll kill you, Mr. Gilt. I’ll kill you in our special way, the way of the weasel and cheat and liar. I’ll take away everything but your life. I’ll take away your money, your reputation, and your friends. I’ll spin words around you until you’re cocooned in them. I’ll leave you nothing, not even hope…"
-Moist Von Lipwig, Going Postal

And lastly, one of my favorites, from an unlikely source.

"You speak blasphemy!"
"Fluently."
-Numbah One, Kids Next Door

8BitNinja
2016-06-01, 12:47 PM
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world" -G Man, Half Life

eru001
2016-06-02, 05:33 PM
You and I may not live to see the day, and our names may be forgotten, but thanks to this knowledge of how it is spread, there will come a time when no more shall die of cholera.
-Dr. John Snow. (not the guy from game of thrones, the guy who founded the science of epidemiology, and proved the existence of waterborne diseases, and caused the creation of modern sewer systems.)

8BitNinja
2016-06-02, 06:19 PM
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Cluedrew
2016-06-04, 09:44 PM
-El Goonish Shive

The trouble maker. Of course why is Tedd still around if he causes so much trouble? Can they not get rid of him (not recommended for PCs), or perhaps it is just a joke? Is it the innocent sort of trouble that everyone grown about but isn't really a problem? The list goes on... I don't think physics teachers like me..."']-El Goonish Shive

Casual super-powers in a world where that sort of things is not generally accepted. I'm just violating the rules that underlie all of modern science, don't mind me. (But you might want to start looking for a new set of laws.)-El Goonish Shive

I got this not because it leads to an interesting character on its own, but because I'm pretty sure this is how most people thing most of the time. Or maybe you can make a character off the idea of act quickly, double check carefully later.-Between Failures

Originally it meant something else, but just looking at the words I would say the type of villain you can't help but liking. But maybe a more interesting way to look at it is someone who does the things that people don't like, but managed to create outcomes they are happy about from them.
"No, I sold my soul to angels. The devil only got my body."Another one for the general community.

HalfTangible
2016-06-04, 11:41 PM
"Missed... me... MISSED ME, YOU SADISTIC BASTARDS! Do you hear me out there?! You've made the wrong enemy today! We'll keep coming, and coming, until you're history! That's a promise from me to you! DO YOU HEAR ME?! Do you... hear?"
After discovering there is alien life in the universe and that two of the largest empires in existence are likely to destroy earth if they don't pick a side, humanity sends out a diplomatic envoy ship. This ship, immediately upon finding the aliens, is blasted by four shots in rapid succession (the first of which split the ship in half and basically doomed everybody). They never had a chance.

The quoted character survives, and slowly runs out of air. The quote comes after several failed attempts at distress calls and reciting old earth songs, and he's run out of air entirely.

Rage against the dying of the light, indeed.

8BitNinja
2016-06-05, 01:28 AM
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

Cluedrew
2016-06-05, 07:42 AM
To HalfTangible: Are the aliens psychic elves? I think I read it. Struck me as a bit of a wish fulfilment story.

A body builder as that is what effects the body's shape. Possibly also a fighter or fashionable type, depending on where you want to go with it.Either a cynic or someone who is quite willing to make hard choices if the situation calls for it. Someone that when presented with two evils with pick the lesser evil without quam or hesitation. (Here evil just means a bad choice.)-(Can't remember, it was defiantly said to me but I forget by who or if they made it or not.)

Sniper who either revels in the long shot or is trying to maintain that they are still more a part of the action than someone up the chain of command. Swap out divination or super human sight as appropriate.-Between Failures

This one is actually not a great attitude to have in a community centered activity like role playing. But you could use it for an superior NPC or just a cool quote for when someone puts their foot down.

HalfTangible
2016-06-05, 10:33 AM
To HalfTangible: Are the aliens psychic elves? I think I read it. Struck me as a bit of a wish fulfilment story.

Yup. Outsider.

*shrug* I don't get that impression, but I see where you're coming from.

Waker
2016-06-05, 02:59 PM
These quotes are taken from Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series. They are technically very, very minor spoilers. They are also great for Paladins or other Lawful Good types.
“ Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination. ”
–The First Ideal of the Windrunners

“ I will protect those who cannot protect themselves. ”
–The Second Ideal of the Windrunners

“ I will protect even those I hate so long as it is right. ”
–The Third Ideal of the Windrunners

8BitNinja
2016-06-05, 11:49 PM
These quotes are taken from Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series. They are technically very, very minor spoilers. They are also great for Paladins or other Lawful Good types.
“ Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination. ”
–The First Ideal of the Windrunners

“ I will protect those who cannot protect themselves. ”
–The Second Ideal of the Windrunners

“ I will protect even those I hate so long as it is right. ”
–The Third Ideal of the Windrunners

I like these ideals of the windrunners. But then again, this is a paladin you're talking to. You might want to find a fighter or something like that for less bias

eru001
2016-06-07, 04:01 PM
Hope and pray that you never need me but rest assured I will not let you down. I'll walk beside you though you may not see me, the strongest among you shall not wear a crown. On, That, Day, when you need your brothers and sisters to care, I will be there. On, That, Day, when you don't have the strength for the burden you bear, I will be there. Citizen Soldiers holding the line for the ones that we guide through the dark of despair. Standing on guard for the ones that we shelter we'll always be ready because we will always be there.

-Citizen Soldier (National Guard recruitment song by 3 Doors Down)

8BitNinja
2016-06-07, 11:14 PM
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the armies of the North, General of the Felix legions, loyal servant to the true Emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." - Maximus, Gladiator

Belac93
2016-06-07, 11:28 PM
In critical moments even the very powerful have need of the weakest.
-Aesop

Most men are within a finger's breadth of being mad.
-Diogenes

Socratov
2016-06-07, 11:31 PM
"Give me 5, maybe ten minutes to put together something random and I'll wing it"

~me 10 minutes before this happened (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDGreentext/comments/4b6s3a/truly_truly_outrageous/)

Âmesang
2016-06-07, 11:41 PM
I actually can't recall if I posted this one already, and honestly I'm too lazy to check.

"This is insane! It's stupid!"

"Hey! Nothing we've done so far has been un-stupid, and we're still alive aren't we?!"

"I can't really argue with that, but I feel like I should."

"Carry on, Fone Bone! Make a stupid decision!"
— Bone

…also is it too early to (partially) quote ol' Pooky? :smalltongue:

"No more spears. No more swords. No more slings. You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike god!"
— X-Men: Apocalypse

"Hey, kid, you did quite well… It looks like you may be gaining some slight skill… But you have defeated only my phantom… When you fight the real me, it won’t be so easy! What a worthless creation that ghost was! I will banish it to the gap between both dimensions!!"
— Ganondorf, Ocarina of Time

"Well excuuuuuuse me, Princess!"
— Link, The Legend of Zelda Animated Series

Dravda
2016-06-09, 03:01 AM
Oh, this is an awesome thread. Let me toss a few ideas into the pile...

"I shall die as I lived, with a sword in my hands and a laugh on my lips."

"Hard-headed and hard-hearted."

"You're the reason we have fire departments!"
"No, FIRE is the reason we have fire departments. I just...put it places."
For some reason, I love the idea of a mage trainee with pyromaniacal tendencies.

"Never think that I am peaceful because I have forgotten how to be violent."
A character who eschews violence, despite being very good at it.

"Divine intervention? I AM divine intervention!"
Perfect for a headstrong paladin or cleric.

"Follow the sound of the guns and kill anyone not dressed like you!"
A variant on Rommel's famous command, "In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." I imagine a scout or reaver NPC following this philosophy.

[after attacking both heroes and villains alike] "Whose side are you on?!"
"MINE!"
I always think of a renegade anti-hero, someone who may work with the PCs at times and other times against them, but always with a different agenda than anyone else on the field.

"You haven't angered any gods, only me. But you may find that hard to believe in a minute."
I originally wrote this for a bomber pilot in a sci-fi setting, but this could be adapted for an evoker in particular.

"I've had worse done to me by better!"
Pure defiance in the face of overwhelming odds, plain and simple.

"Outnumbered? You mean 'target-rich environment'."
Similar to Patton's famous, "They have us surrounded on all sides. They can't escape now!" This is a character who jumps headfirst into a trap because he knows that's where he'll find the enemy.

sengmeng
2016-06-09, 03:37 AM
Praise be to the Lord my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
He is my loving God and my fortress,
my stronghold and my deliverer,
my shield, in whom I take refuge,
who subdues peoples under me.

Psalm 144, verse 1 and 2.

Paladin, cleric, or conquering king

eru001
2016-06-09, 08:06 AM
"the collectors killed you and all that did was piss you off. i don't like their chances."
-Garrus Vakarian to Commander Shepard

If we shadows have offended think but this and all is mended that you have but slumbered here while these visions did appear and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. Gentles do no reprehend, if you pardon we shall mend. Else the Puck a liar call, so goodnight unto you all. And as I am an honest Puck, if we have unearned luck, take my hands if we be friends, and Robin shall restore amends.
- Puck's speech, A midsummer nights dream.

CrazyPenguin
2016-06-09, 07:12 PM
"Now, I'll be the first to admit, humans... are the worst. Case in point." *gestures towards self*

"Hmm, let's see, what does this button do?" *presses button on stolen ship* *muffled explosion*
"Oh, fun!"

"You're asking the wrong questions, Red! It's not what I have to gain, it's that I can't afford to lose! I may be a gambling man, but even I know that there are some bets you just don't take. Like it or not, the people that hired me are going to change the world! You can't stop 'em, I can't stop 'em! You know the old saying, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. You got spirit. But this is the real world! The real world is COLD! The real world, doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other one in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!"

That last one, especially.

Dravda
2016-06-09, 08:45 PM
"You're older, more powerful, and that glyph on your head blocks my second sight...but listen to me well, seer, because I'm only going to say this once. I'm not afraid of you."

More fearless defiance, courtesy of Dominic Deegan (http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2003-06-09).

eru001
2016-06-09, 08:46 PM
"Now, I'll be the first to admit, humans... are the worst. Case in point." *gestures towards self*

"Hmm, let's see, what does this button do?" *presses button on stolen ship* *muffled explosion*
"Oh, fun!"

"You're asking the wrong questions, Red! It's not what I have to gain, it's that I can't afford to lose! I may be a gambling man, but even I know that there are some bets you just don't take. Like it or not, the people that hired me are going to change the world! You can't stop 'em, I can't stop 'em! You know the old saying, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. You got spirit. But this is the real world! The real world is COLD! The real world, doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other one in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!"

That last one, especially.

Ah RWBY source of many good quotes

"SAL-YOU-TATIONS! I'm combat ready"

8BitNinja
2016-06-09, 09:39 PM
Psalm 144, verse 1 and 2.

Paladin, cleric, or conquering king

There are actually so many Bible verses I wanted to quote, bit didn't in fear of breaking the rules, but I think that pretty much every paladin and cleric somehow uses this quote

CrazyPenguin
2016-06-10, 06:59 AM
Ah RWBY source of many good quotes

Indeed!

"Are you...robbing me?"

"Seeing new weapons is like meeting new people...but...better..."

"Its also a gun"

"As a girl, I wanted to be just like those heroes in the books...Someone who fought for what was right, and protected people who couldn't protect themselves!"
*insert cynical comment from somebody else about how the real world is crap here*
"Well that's why we're here. To make it better."

"You've got a team now, Jaune. We both do. And if we fail, then, we'll just be bringing them down with us. We have to put our teammates first, and ourselves second. Your team deserves a great leader, Jaune. And I think that can be you."

"I'm just not much of a fancy pantsy... dancey girl."

"We've never backed down before, and we're not going to start now."

"I don't care what you say! We WILL stop them, and I WILL stop you! BET ON THAT!"

"She's always wanted to be a Huntress. It's like she said, ever since she was a kid, she'd dreamt about being the heroes in the books. Helping people and saving the day, and never asking for anything else in return. Even when she couldn't fight, she knew that's what she wanted to do. That's why she trained so hard to get where she is today."

Cluedrew
2016-06-10, 07:23 AM
doesn't need genius level ditch digger, ED!" "I think that depends on how complex you want your ditches."']-Between Failures

Someone who does a simple job, and takes pride in it.-Between Failures

Good for the unwilling hero. When people usually say anything they usually actually mean something big an impressive. But anything those things that history doesn't care about and maybe someone isn't concerned about the world beyond their friends. What did I just say about behaving weirdly and creepily?"']-El Goonish Shive

The speaker doesn't actually seem concerned about what the subject is doing, just that it is weird and creepy. So someone that is harmless (or even helpful) but comes off really badly and freaks people out.The statement itself is kind of abstract, but I'm going to say some sort of hero/law enforcement who doesn't really hate villains (at least until they do something really evil) but isn't worried about rehabilitating them either.

You could go the opposite way and say someone who is unpleasant and is OK with that.-El Goonish Shive

Someone who fights for a cause most people don't care about. You can adjust their morality with the cause they fight for. They also seem to be a bit self aware that other people don't care.

8BitNinja
2016-06-10, 10:49 AM
"Remember, son, the only thing that makes a man able to get along in this world is his brain. A man doesn't have the claws a bear has, nor the strength of a bull. He doesn't have the nose of a wolf, nor the wings of a hawk, but he has a brain. You're going to get along in the world as long as you use it." - Scott Collins, Down the Long Hills (A really good book if you're into westerns, like me)

I think this is a good one for a ranger (since it was said by someone who pretty much was one) who has a high INT and WIS. But if anyone has a better idea, you know what to do.

RyumaruMG
2016-06-11, 04:33 AM
Song quote edition!

"Heroes always get remembered/But you know legends never die"
- Panic! At the Disco, Emperor's New Clothes

"So we can take the world back from a heart attack/One maniac at a time we will take it back"
- Fall Out Boy, The Phoenix

"You will remember me for centuries"
- Fall Out Boy, Centuries

"Sorrow won't wane 'til you die/A shattered body deeply hurt/And darkness will cover the light/It's gone forevermore"
- Blind Guardian, Battlefield (really the whole song is something you could make a campaign out of"

"Bring down the dark regime/I know how to unleash eternal power/Lead us to order/I am the Lightbringer!"
- Pentakill, Lightbringer

"I've gotta make a stand/But I am just a man/(I'm not superhuman)/My voice will be heard today"
- Skillet, Hero

"From the broken dreams of a restless mind/And the world spinning out of control/This is the last goodbye/You are the hero now/I am the music unbridled in your soul"
- The Band With Rocks In (Soul Music), The Messenger

sengmeng
2016-06-11, 02:03 PM
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!"

--The Rifleman's Creed of the United States Marine Corps.

8BitNinja
2016-06-12, 01:38 AM
Here is oen from my friend's six year old son. I think it is a good one for a merchant who sells quality goods.

"That's a cool sword. I have one just like that, except it's not totally broken."

JohnTheSavage
2016-06-12, 10:03 AM
For a disillusioned immortal:

"Life is like a fine wine. Best enjoyed in moderation."

Mister Tom
2016-06-12, 03:29 PM
Commander Strax:

The Doctor: What are you doing here?
Strax: Madam Vastra was wondering if you needed any grenades.
The Doctor: Grenades?
Strax: [thinking] She might have said help.

8BitNinja
2016-06-13, 12:22 AM
Commander Strax:

The Doctor: What are you doing here?
Strax: Madam Vastra was wondering if you needed any grenades.
The Doctor: Grenades?
Strax: [thinking] She might have said help.

I think this one is funny

Silus
2016-06-13, 12:52 PM
"I must kill fast and bullets too slow." -John Freeman

HalfTangible
2016-06-13, 02:50 PM
I think this one is funny

Strax is utterly hilarious.

"You are healed, child. I hope one day to meet you in glorious battle, so I may destroy you for Sontar."

Professor Gnoll
2016-06-13, 02:56 PM
"I must kill fast and bullets too slow." -John Freeman
I don't know. His quote that always inspired me was "It's time to do what has to be done like me and help my brother to defeat the enemies." It just sums up that sort of sums up his whole personal responsibility devotion, you know?

8BitNinja
2016-06-13, 04:10 PM
“There’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for." - Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings

A good one for a good-aligned character, but I think that fighter or paladin would be best.

Lord Raziere
2016-06-15, 02:29 AM
"Silly humans. Love is not hard or elusive to define at all. It is simply a subjective qualitative assessment of a person or object that places its quality above all other things in this world and entitles it to certain privileges from the assessor because of it, existing upon the wider subjective assessment spectrum which includes "like", "neutrality" "dislike" and "hate". It is a label to help you better organize what is positive and negative in this world, and thus is used to denote 100% or near 100% quality from your own perspective."
-Any robot character.

CrazyPenguin
2016-06-15, 08:01 PM
"(I see a girl before me who has spent her entire life getting exactly what she wanted) That's not even remotely true! Well... not entirely true."

"It's exactly as you said: I'm a [insert character's family name here]. I have a legacy of honor to uphold. Once I realized I was capable of fighting, there was no longer a question of what I would do with my life. It was my duty."

"My father was not the start of our name, and I refuse to let him be the end of it."

"It's a job. We all had this romanticized vision of being a Huntress in our heads! But at the end of the day, it's a job to protect the people! And whatever we want, will have to come second."

eru001
2016-06-15, 11:31 PM
It is better to live a day as a lion, than a millennium as a sheep

8BitNinja
2016-06-16, 12:02 AM
“Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past Age, full of its own comings and goings, scarcely aware of the existence of Hobbits, for which I am very thankful.” - Gandalf, Lord of the Rings

A good one for a traveler who has seen that there is nothing new under the sun.

2D8HP
2016-06-16, 02:52 AM
It is better to live a day as a lion, than a millennium as a sheep?????!!!!
I believe that the usual English translation is:

Better to live a day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep. Seriously??!!
Well it's a good villain quote....

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-06-16, 06:51 AM
?????!!!!
Well it's a good villain quote....

Though actually the quote's not from Mussolini originally - it's attributed variously in several slightly different forms to the Tipu Sultan, Marshal Diaz, and some anonymous graffiti at the battle of Piave River, which is probably where Diaz and Musso nicked it from.

sengmeng
2016-06-16, 08:32 PM
"I worship an evil god, and he doesn't like you."

A quote I actually did build a character around. Generic half-orc cleric of Gruumsh. War and strength domains, incredible melee combatant, and a fine corrupting influence on the slightly good-leaning party.

8BitNinja
2016-06-17, 12:42 AM
"Why should I apologize for being a monster? Has anyone ever apologized for turning me into one?" - Juuzou Suzuya, Tokyo Ghoul

A good one for a lich or vampire.

goto124
2016-06-17, 03:15 AM
"My father was not the start of our name, and I refuse to let him be the end of it."

"My father was not the start of our name, and I will make sure he will be the end of it."

Yeah, I have a character based on that...

8BitNinja
2016-06-18, 12:18 AM
"My father was not the start of our name, and I will make sure he will be the end of it."

Yeah, I have a character based on that...

This is pretty much the mentality of my family.

veti
2016-06-18, 03:20 AM
"Give them the third best to go on with; the second best comes too late, the best never comes." - Robert Watson-Watt

"We travel not for trafficking alone;
By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned.
For lust of knowing what should not be known,
We take the Golden Road to Samarkand." - J E Flecker

"To learn the age-old lesson day by day:
It is not in the bright arrival planned,
But in the dreams men dream along the way
They find the Golden Road to Samarkand." - G M Fraser, presumably in imitation of Flecker

And last but not least:
"It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how!" - Dr Seuss, The Cat in the Hat

tuongtrante1
2016-06-18, 10:06 AM
And that, is why you can't play a Succubus.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

8BitNinja
2016-06-19, 03:00 AM
"I live in a constant state of fear, and misery" - Filthy Frank

eru001
2016-06-21, 07:32 AM
Remember, the hotter the fire the stronger the steel. Take this experience, learn from it, and grow stronger. There is no place here to feel ashamed.
-Sir Matthew Pikebreaker

GPuzzle
2016-06-21, 10:12 AM
"Sir, are you destroying the Earth or making a dessert?"

CrazyPenguin
2016-06-21, 07:32 PM
"Yes - it's lovely! Almost as lovely as this book... That I will continue to read... As soon as you leave..."

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

"There's no such thing as pure evil!"

"Well maybe we were just tired of being pushed around!"

"If you can't fight, you can't survive."

"I want people to see me for who I am, not what I am."

"And we may never be ready! Our enemies aren't just going to sit around and wait...They're out there, somewhere, planning their next move, and none of us know what it is, but it's coming! Whether we're ready or not!"

"There's too much wrong in this world to just stand by and do nothing. Inequality, corruption... Someone has to stop it."

"...how can I undo so many years of hate?"

"I had someone very dear to me change. It wasn't in an instant, it was gradual - little choices that began to pile up. He told me not to worry. At first they were accidents, then it was self-defense. Before long, even I began to think he was right."

8BitNinja
2016-06-22, 01:32 AM
"You wouldn't understand housecarl, you ain't a Nord." - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Whiterun Guard to Ireleth after she says she doesn't believe in the Dragonborn

Cluedrew
2016-06-24, 04:33 PM
You know this seems non-committal, but I don't think it is. Instead of talking about what they want to fight for, they want to make sure they don't waste away near the end of their life. Most people are content to settle down and rest at that point, but they want to keep on going until it kills them.-El Goonish Shive

A very useful character to have, either as an NPC or a very intelligent PC with knowledge skills (or equivalent). I think someone who knows, and in this case also explains, can be a valid character concept.-El Goonish Shive

A very powerful observer character (or characters). Also one who knows more about what is going on than the individual they are observing.-El Goonish Shive: Commentary

There are two ways I can see this. The first is a hall monitor (or some equivalent, like a mall cop) who is a bit more than they would seem. The second is it is just someone who steps up to the occasion, above and beyond the call of duty. Both work although they generally result in different power-levels, which may be relevant.

CrazyPenguin
2016-06-24, 06:54 PM
"Oh my god, you really exploded."

"Great, the gang's all here. Now we can die together!"

"Hey, we've got a plan! That's... moderately serious."

"I'm a thrill-seeker. I want to travel around the world and get wrapped up in as many crazy adventures as I can. And if I help people along the way, then that's even better. It's a win-win, y'know?"

"At least you two have something that drives you. I've just always, gone with the flow, you know."

"I want a life where I don't know what tomorrow will bring. And that will be a good thing."

8BitNinja
2016-06-25, 12:36 AM
Yet another one from Skyrim

"A Nord's last thoughts should be of home" - Ralof, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Cluedrew
2016-06-29, 07:39 AM
-El Goonish Shive

Some people take pride in their faults. And when it is relatively harmless, such as immaturity, you can have a good character with the fault. The other option is to crank it up and have a villain who revels in how villain they are. Or given the original quote are trying to be but not pulling it off.A rogue's idea of fairness.

I do get the feeling that there are some informal rules around how you can and cannot cheat. Which creates a code of honour around it despite the rule breaking. Or viewed a different way, it is all about who can get away with the most.-El Goonish Shive

Someone is prepared. Sometimes all you need to say the same thing in a different way, instead of saying something new and different. In this case they seem to be overly technical about things.Someone who never trusts anyone unless they have no choice in the matter. That is pretty paranoid, to the point it feels like it has to be a conscious decision instead of just being a not very trusting person. Or course then you would have to decide why they decided that.

Wonton
2016-06-29, 10:48 AM
May have been been mentioned before, but here's some Dark Tower quotes:

"I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart."

- Gunslinger's Oath

"Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying **** at you and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing."

- Cort

goto124
2016-06-29, 11:26 AM
"Okay, Gunslinger Oathers, aren't those the exact reasons to aim and shoot with my hand, and to kill with my gun?"

Wonton
2016-06-29, 11:41 AM
"Okay, Gunslinger Oathers, aren't those the exact reasons to aim and shoot with my hand, and to kill with my gun?"

I think Dark Tower gunslingers are much more... meditative and spiritual than they might be in other settings. They really do feel the bullet and such. There's tons of lines about how "the gun must become an extension of your body", etc. I actually multiclassed Gunslinger/Monk when I played mine in Pathfinder, for this reason. :smallbiggrin:

GPuzzle
2016-06-29, 11:57 AM
"Nothing amazing happens here. Everything is ordinary."

CrazyPenguin
2016-06-29, 09:58 PM
"It just goes to show that it doesn't matter what you can do, it only matters what you make make other think you can do."

"it is not fair to ask of others what you are not willing to do yourself."

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."

"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for most/"

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime on your life."

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very interesting one."

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

'The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."

"Last words are for fools who haven't said enough."

LeighTheDwarf
2016-06-29, 10:07 PM
I literally met a travelling hypnotist and had this conversation with him:

"So you could potentially hypnotize a woman to think you were the most handsome man in the state?"

"Potentially, but I'd prefer handsomest man in all possible universes."

I started thinking about how if I could do that, I would raise an army. A character concept was born.

2D8HP
2016-06-29, 10:44 PM
"So you could potentially hypnotize a woman to think you were the most handsome man in the state?"

"Potentially, but I'd prefer handsomest man in all possible universes."

I started thinking about how if I could do that, I would raise an army. A character concept was born.An army of the smitten?
It's a stretch but I'm reminded of the 1980's Punk band called Jodie Foster's Army (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFA_(band)).
:smallwink:

goto124
2016-06-30, 12:07 AM
I think Dark Tower gunslingers are much more... meditative and spiritual than they might be in other settings. They really do feel the bullet and such. There's tons of lines about how "the gun must become an extension of your body", etc. I actually multiclassed Gunslinger/Monk when I played mine in Pathfinder, for this reason. :smallbiggrin:

They must have likeable fathers too, unlike some people (http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2015-07-13-1436823648-4002049-darthvaderluke.jpg)...

"If I was willing to do it myself, I wouldn't be asking others in the first place!"

LeighTheDwarf
2016-06-30, 02:38 PM
An army of the smitten?
It's a stretch but I'm reminded of the 1980's Punk band called Jodie Foster's Army (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFA_(band)).
:smallwink:

So far, with his social skills and charm spells, he's made allies with several monsters. The final battle of this campaign is probably going to be with Typhon, the monster from Greek mythology. So my character might be able to raise an army of super-buffed monsters to fight this giant monster alongside the party (and Zeus, who is also fighting this thing).

GPuzzle
2016-07-01, 01:45 AM
"Take a hit for catharsis
Take a hit for them all
After the flags they're selling off the wall
I wanna die for a reason
I wanna kill for a cause
After the flags I'm nobody at all" - After the Flags, Area 11

"Strange are the things that will come around
A false parousia made to weigh you down
When truth and lies both compromise
Return to the question, I'm willing to die" - Override [C], Area 11

"Toast to the red queen and all she has seen
Is it time to drink at your table?
We can only wait and watch for so long
Toast to our red queen, all those who have been
Sidelined, a lifetime's conviction unstable
Where you fall is not where you belong" - Red Queen, Area 11

"I want you to give me what I need
Lay waste to your beliefs, rebuild yourself for me
I want you to feel as I feel
Repairing who you are, becoming my ideal
I want you; submit yourself to me
Your body and your mind; give it willingly
I want you to come alive again
To come alive again" - The Contract, Area 11

Area 11's new album just came out, and I'm hyped.

Socratov
2016-07-01, 04:32 AM
My backup is currently this: (among others)

'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.' ~ Havelock Vetinari

2D8HP
2016-07-01, 08:26 AM
"I make it my business. I'm a witch. It's what we do. When it's nobody else's business, it's my business,'
~Tiffany Aching, (young Witch)

'The thing about witchcraft,’ ‘is that it’s not like school at all. First you get the test, and then afterwards you spend years findin’ out how you passed it. It’s a bit like life in that respect.'

"There’s no greys, only white that’s got grubby.I'’m surprised you don’t know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That’s what sin is.’

"Ain’t got the patience for teaching. But I might let you learn"

That’s the way of it,’ ‘It’s not what you’ve got that matters, it’s how you’ve got it"

'Animals can’t murder. Only us superior races can murder.That’s one of the things that sets us apart from animals.'
~ Esmeralda "Granny" Weatherwax, old "wise women" (Witch)

Granny Weatherwax believed in cups of tea, dry biscuits, washing every morning in cold water and, well, she believed mostly in Granny Weatherwax

Cluedrew
2016-07-02, 08:51 PM
-El Goonish Shive: Newspaper

A rule of thumb, if you ever encounter anyone who's primary motivation it to avoid boredom, you should either pity or fear them. Pity if they have nothing more than excitement to hope for, fear if they have everything else. This one falls under fear. Going by the stammering in the reply if nothing else.I'm not entirely sure what definition of weird they are using, but I get feeling they might be the one responsible for introducing the main cast into the 'other' world. Whatever that means in this story.

Or maybe they are some sort of freak of nature and are completely willing to make fun of that. Everyone deals with these things in their own way.Someone who sits at the center of a web of lies and seems to have quiet the clout because of it. Not only did they fake (assuming no undeath or resurrection) their death, but it was an assassination and no mere murder.

Also they seem to be slightly irresponsible. Just faking there death and leaving everything behind seems a little... wild and free for someone with that kind of political and deceptive power.This line (and I feel like this exact line) is usually associated with sins that can never be satisfied, and hence what they are seeking will never be enough. But I have seen it used in terms of life and joy ("I will keep on living because it will never be enough!") and in terms of heroics ("No matter how much I do, it will never be enough.") all of which give you very different feels to the character.

And the last one, I could see them just doing as much good as they can because they want to, or because they are seeking redemption for something they feel they can never make up for. There are a lot of ways to read this one.

2D8HP
2016-07-02, 10:49 PM
For use be a "sell sword":

Upon being greeted by two friars with the words, “God give you peace".

”"What kind of greeting is it to come o me and say, may God make me die of hunger?
Do you not know that I live by war, and that peace would be my undoing?
God take away your alms. For as you live by charity, so do I by war, and to me it is as genuine a vocation as yours.”
– ~Sir John Hawkwood,
14th Century English mercenary Captain in Italy

HalfTangible
2016-07-02, 11:03 PM
"................ Let me get this straight. You steal from my friend, bully and cajole the people of his kingdom, and have not even apologized for it... and you want me to PAY YOU so that I can FORGIVE YOU."
"Well when you put it that way it sounds like extortion."

Efrate
2016-07-03, 07:50 PM
"You lie, cheat, steal, and murder!"
"And? I'm still alive aren't I?"

HalfTangible
2016-07-03, 09:20 PM
"Of course the good die young. Ya know what Mark did for his last act on the mortal coil? He pushed his girlfriend out of the way of a drunk driver. He saved her life, and after they pronounced him braindead his organs saved 8 more. Someone selfish would've left her to die. Someone older wouldn't have had the strength. Get it? The good die young because the Lord knows someone else would get it wrong."
"I'd rather the Lord just take the drunk driver."
"Getting drunk and getting in your car is a choice, like any other. He left that part to us."
"Still would've preferred the driver."
"... Me too."

8BitNinja
2016-07-04, 01:34 AM
A short poem from my brother, called Dogs and Daisies: A Rocket Propelled Grenade, describing a character just like me, I hope you enjoy

I detect evil on all I see
I am a paladin, and the DM hates me
When the DM is mad, I "have to pee"
I hope he doesn't get too mad and kills me

eru001
2016-07-04, 10:28 PM
To answer your questions in order. Yes, i am a werewolf. No, I'm not going to eat you, I had a whole deer for lunch and I'm stuffed. No I don't have fleas. And if you throw that stick... grr... I will walk over to where it is pick it up, bring it to you, and ram it through your chest.

-Luke Thatcher

8BitNinja
2016-07-05, 01:26 AM
"Sir one more comment like that and I will strangle you with my microphone wire!" -Adam Sandler

Michael7123
2016-07-05, 02:47 PM
-El Goonish Shive: Newspaper

A rule of thumb, if you ever encounter anyone who's primary motivation it to avoid boredom, you should either pity or fear them. Pity if they have nothing more than excitement to hope for, fear if they have everything else. This one falls under fear. Going by the stammering in the reply if nothing else.I'm not entirely sure what definition of weird they are using, but I get feeling they might be the one responsible for introducing the main cast into the 'other' world. Whatever that means in this story.

Or maybe they are some sort of freak of nature and are completely willing to make fun of that. Everyone deals with these things in their own way.Someone who sits at the center of a web of lies and seems to have quiet the clout because of it. Not only did they fake (assuming no undeath or resurrection) their death, but it was an assassination and no mere murder.

Also they seem to be slightly irresponsible. Just faking there death and leaving everything behind seems a little... wild and free for someone with that kind of political and deceptive power.This line (and I feel like this exact line) is usually associated with sins that can never be satisfied, and hence what they are seeking will never be enough. But I have seen it used in terms of life and joy ("I will keep on living because it will never be enough!") and in terms of heroics ("No matter how much I do, it will never be enough.") all of which give you very different feels to the character.

And the last one, I could see them just doing as much good as they can because they want to, or because they are seeking redemption for something they feel they can never make up for. There are a lot of ways to read this one.

Oh, some of these work really really well for a character I'm working on right now. Thank you.

Cluedrew
2016-07-05, 07:17 PM
To Michael7123: You are very welcome. It is good that people are actually building a characters off of these.

When you mentioned 'some' it made me think: There are a lot of quotes that word well with groups, because they don't really define something 'core' but at the same time they are still an interesting twist you can mix into a character.

Also I have a few quotes from another thread.

[...]I strongly urge you to watch both The Seven Samurai and its remake The Magnificent Seven (the old one, from the 1960s*) to see it done well, set in two very different cultures.[...]

O'Reilly: You think I am brave because I carry a gun; well, your fathers are much braver because they carry responsibility, for you, your brothers, your sisters, and your mothers. And this responsibility is like a big rock that weighs a ton. It bends and it twists them until finally it buries them under the ground. And there's nobody says they have to do this. They do it because they love you, and because they want to. I have never had this kind of courage. Running a farm, working like a mule every day with no guarantee anything will ever come of it. This is bravery. That's why I never even started anything like that... that's why I never will.

Chico: Villages like this they make up a song about every big thing that happens. Sing them for years.
Chris Adams: You think it's worth it?
Chico: Don't you?
Chris Adams: It's only a matter of knowing how to shoot a gun. Nothing big about that.
Chico: Hey. How can you talk like this? Your gun has got you everything you have. Isn't that true? Hmm? Well, isn't that true?
Vin: Yeah, sure. Everything. After awhile you can call bartenders and faro dealers by their first name - maybe two hundred of 'em! Rented rooms you live in - five hundred! Meals you eat in hash houses - a thousand! Home - none! Wife - none! Kids... none! Prospects - zero. Suppose I left anything out?
Chris Adams: Yeah. Places you're tied down to - none. People with a hold on you - none. Men you step aside for - none.
Lee: Insults swallowed - none. Enemies - none.
Chris Adams: No enemies?
Lee: Alive.
Chico: Well. This is the kind of arithmetic I like.
Chris Adams: Yeah. So did I at your age.

Kambei Shimada: So. Again we are defeated.... The farmers have won. Not us.I feel these are quite indicative of the "out of place adventurer" (which considering the thread the quotes came from...). Who are even starting to doubt themselves, wondering what there place in the world and what are they really accomplishing.

Of course if you want to play this character long term, you also have this aspect of being too stuck in their ways to change. It is almost tragic, the hero time left behind.

8BitNinja
2016-07-06, 06:22 PM
To Michael7123: You are very welcome. It is good that people are actually building a characters off of these.

When you mentioned 'some' it made me think: There are a lot of quotes that word well with groups, because they don't really define something 'core' but at the same time they are still an interesting twist you can mix into a character.

Also I have a few quotes from another thread.
I feel these are quite indicative of the "out of place adventurer" (which considering the thread the quotes came from...). Who are even starting to doubt themselves, wondering what there place in the world and what are they really accomplishing.

Of course if you want to play this character long term, you also have this aspect of being too stuck in their ways to change. It is almost tragic, the hero time left behind.

I don't think that the hero not changing his old ways after the new comes in is tragic. The hero is now fighting not my for justice but now also for tradition and makes the hero have more depth. He's not a tragedy, he just has more to his story.

Lord Raziere
2016-07-08, 03:47 PM
"Other people look out at the stars and see how insignificant they are in the grand scheme of the cosmos. I disagree with this. Out there are millions of stars- giant balls of plasma, spherical rocks and empty space, common as dirt, nothing special! However there is only one of me, my mind, my memories, my choices, my destiny. From that, I realized the truth: Because I am who I am, a unique individual who will be seen only once then never again- that I am more significant than all the stars in the sky."- a quote for any character in a space opera who sees things from a different perspective than the usual person.

8BitNinja
2016-07-08, 11:58 PM
"Anyone can be heroic from time to time, but a gentleman is something you have to be all the time." -Luigi Pirandello

I think this perfectly describes a paladin who acts the way a paladin should act.

goto124
2016-07-09, 04:16 AM
Could also describe someone who refuses to be a gentleman, after having a good part of life get consumed by 'having' to 'be' a gentleman. Maybe a social rebel of sorts?

Cluedrew
2016-07-09, 07:27 AM
I don't think that the hero not changing his old ways after the new comes in is tragic. The hero is now fighting not my for justice but now also for tradition and makes the hero have more depth. He's not a tragedy, he just has more to his story.That is another reading of it, but that isn't the one I got. It is the difference between choosing not to change and being unable to. The hero themselves is starting to wonder what this is all for and not turning up a very good answer. Even then it isn't really a tragedy, but it is a little bit sad.

Reminds me of another quote, actually I quoted a couple of other lines about this character but not this one: "Its been eight years, where have you been? What have you been doing for eight years!?" "Nothing." Which didn't mean that he had actually done nothing for eight years, but that it amounted to nothing.

? Hell no!"']-El Goonish Shive

Because good does not always mean on the straight and narrow.-Winter Melody

In an RPG you don't want to annoy everyone else too much, but still someone who is driven by their desire to find things out. And not just the ancient arcane secrets (to defence the classic D&D wizard) but just about everything. At any moment they could suddenly change course in pursuit of an answer to a probably trivial question. At least that is how I read the annoyingly part of the line.I'm not quite sure about this one, but my guess is a character involved in a rebellion of the lower class (the so-called weak) against the upper class (the so-called strong). The thing is I'm not even sure which side they are on. They could be explaining why they feel they have a chance, or they could be issuing a warning.A bruiser type, not much of a planner but can take a beating.

In particular it reminds me of a barbarian build that (I cannot recall how) allowed the character to remain up on their feet and fighting well after they had been reduced to negative hit-points.-Between Failures

I'd say this is just an act of unexpected kindness from a generally unsympathetic villain. A minder that even the despicable villains can have some redeeming features.

8BitNinja
2016-07-10, 01:42 AM
“Prepare to face my Super-Ultra-Mambo-Tango-Foxtrot martial arts!” -Captain Strong, EarthBound

A good one for a monk

CrazyPenguin
2016-07-16, 04:03 PM
"They always say that if you kill a killer, the number of killers in the world stays the same. But what if I don't stop at one?"

8BitNinja
2016-07-17, 02:35 AM
"In exchange for power, maybe I've lost something that's essential for a human being?"
— Saitama, One Punch Man

A good one for a Lich or Death Knight

Cluedrew
2016-07-27, 08:28 AM
You sort of have to reverse engineer the context for this one. What I got when I did was a violent executioner. Perhaps a lawful one or a vigilantly but someone with a sense of justice but not one of mercy.

I am curious if anyone gets the same context for this quote as I did... which is why I'm not saying what it is. Please let me know what you get.A very good driver. It makes me think of some of the less plausible tricks I have seen in movies. Still the other explanation is instead of bad editing is they are just that good. Replace the car with other normally unwieldy tool/vehicle if you so choose.OK, the character I got from this one wasn't even based off the quote in question so much as the idea that it was mildly philosophic. Someone who will through an old saying, or just a overly thoughtful comment, into random conversation.-El Goonish Shive

Well someone acts up when they are cranky. And apparently a little cranky even when they are happy.
"YISUN was questioned once by their disciples at their speaking house. The questions were the following:
'What is the ultimate reason for existence?'
To which YISUN replied, 'Self-deception.'
'How can a man live in perfect harmony?'
To which YISUN replied, 'Non-existence.'
'What is the ultimate result of all action?’
To which YISUN replied, 'Futility.'
'How best can we serve your will?'
To which YISUN replied, 'Kindly ignore my first three answers.'
-Kill Six Billion Demons (4-71)

All you do is useless, but do it anyways. Think of a hero who saves the world, but seems resigned to another problem cropping up in its place and having to do it all over again. And yet underneath that is a crazed spark that keeps them going.

Also, spoiler labels to not handle multiple lines very well. No good can come from needing to talk to Tedd..."']-El Goonish Shive

I pretty sure the original character (Tedd) just thought they were in trouble. But I can't help but thinking of a trouble shooter. Someone who people turn to when they are in trouble and something needs to be fixed. And when they come for that, they kind of need to talk to Tedd and the situation is bad.

8BitNinja
2016-07-27, 01:35 PM
"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid." -Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

CrazyPenguin
2016-07-29, 11:34 PM
"We're not gonna die. Y'know why? Because we're so pretty. We're just too d*** pretty for god to let us die."

"Mercy is the mark of a great man." *stab* "Guess I'm just a good man." *stab* "Well, I'm alright."

"Looks like we got here just in the nick of time! What does that make us?"
"Big damn heroes, Sir."
"Ain't we just?"

"I can kill you with my brain."

"Preacher, don't the Bible have some very specific things to say about killing?
"Very specific. I find somewhat fuzzy on the matter of kneecaps, however."

Guancyto
2016-07-30, 05:41 AM
"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-The Second Coming, William Butler Yeats.

Campaign intro; one of my favorites.

"They are seven in number, just seven
in the terrible depths they are seven
Bow down, in the sky they are seven

In the terrible depths, the dark houses
They swell, they grow tall
They are neither female nor male
They are a silence heavy with seastorms
They bear off no women their loins are empty of children
They are strangers to pity, compassion is far from them
They are deaf to men's prayers, entreaties can't reach them
They are horses that grow to great size that feed on mountains
They are the enemies of our friends
They feed on the gods
They tear up the highway they spread out over the roads
They are the faces of evil they are the faces of evil

They are seven they are seven they are seven times seven
In the name of Heaven let them be torn from our sight
In the name of the Earth let them be torn from our sight."
-The Seven, translated from Sumerian

Campaign intro for epic level.

"The measure of a man’s real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
-Thomas Babington Macaulay

Is it harder to be Good as a Rogue than as a Paladin?

"You must never imagine, that just because something is funny, it is not also dangerous."
-Neil Gaiman, Neverwhere

Baaaaards!

Mister Tom
2016-07-30, 09:11 AM
It is morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money. (Canada Bill Jones)

Cluedrew
2016-07-30, 11:03 AM
"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid." -Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black PearlMy favourite quote from that movie. It sort of inverts the predictability=lawful/unpredictability=chaotic idea. A chaotic person, being unbound, will always act freely. A lawful person on the other hand will act according to their morals, honor, promises and plans. And you can't always be sure of where that will take them. I know it doesn't always work out that way, but when it does it can mess with expectations.

"You must never imagine, that just because something is funny, it is not also dangerous."
-Neil Gaiman, Neverwhere

Baaaaards!That is quite possibly the best answer to why are bards a class in a combat game I have ever heard.

Fixing the worlds problems is a common enough goal for a hero. So I am going to work of the fact they had to clarify that they understand that the world is not perfect. So they are someone who appears to be optimistic and naive, perhaps hopelessly so. But really that is a reflection of how they want the world to be, not how the see it now.."']-Dark Souls 3

I can't quite put my finger on this one, but I like it anyways. It sort of sounds like a kindly and polite undead*. Which considering most depictions of undead has them as mindless, evil or both, it is a nice change.

*Which might be an inaccurate description of who originally said it.More than the fact they are coughing up blood (disease, battle injury), is the level "oh by the way" that fills the comment. You should probably be worry about that just a bit. So maybe they don't panic when they should, or maybe everything is OK and they are just that good at taking things in stride.-Aita (Commenter)

It was about games and mods, but I feel this would be a good quote for a hacker (digital or more DIY type) in a cyber-punk story.

Belac93
2016-07-30, 11:32 AM
"I'm not a good man. I was just in the right place at the right time."
-I dunno.

“Don’t be careful. You could hurt yourself.”
-Byron Katie

"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
-Chuck Palahniuk

Jenerix525
2016-07-30, 12:14 PM
."']-Dark Souls 3

I can't quite put my finger on this one, but I like it anyways. It sort of sounds like a kindly and polite undead*. Which considering most depictions of undead has them as mindless, evil or both, it is a nice change.

*Which might be an inaccurate description of who originally said it.

That is very different from how I read it.

A determined warrior who has decided to lay down his life in this one last battle.
I initially read this as a threat to his opponent, offering to drag them with him to the grave.
My second reading is speaking to his allies, asking if anyone else will join his apparent suicide mission.

Sidenote: I thought it said 'my grave' at first.

CrazyPenguin
2016-07-30, 08:48 PM
"You know what else is great? Me."

"Run and live! That is an idea I can get behind!"

"It's not like he's only a jerk to me, he's a jerk to everyone."

"My father, my grandfather, and his father before him were all warriors! They were all heroes! I wanted to be one, too. I was just never good enough."

"I don't want help! I don't want to be the damsel in distress! I want to be the hero!"

"I'm tired of being the lovable idiot, stuck in the tree while his friends fight for their lives! Don't you understand? If I can't do this on my own... then what good am I?"

"I don't care what you do to me... but you are not messing with my team."

"You are one of my best friends. These past few months, I feel like we really bonded... even though you don't say much. I mean, you're really quiet. To be perfectly honest, I don't know that much about you personally; but, darn it, I consider you to be the brother I never had!"

"You were the first person to ever believe in me, you know that? Even when I told my parents I was going to Beacon, they told me not to worry if I ended up having to move back home. How depressing is that?"

"The Pyrrha Nikos I know would never back down from a challenge. And if you really believe it's your destiny to save the world… you can't let anything stand in your way."

goto124
2016-07-31, 01:49 AM
More than the fact they are coughing up blood (disease, battle injury), is the level "oh by the way" that fills the comment. You should probably be worry about that just a bit. So maybe they don't panic when they should, or maybe everything is OK and they are just that good at taking things in stride.

It sounds like something one would say after hearing or seeing something really disgusting. Similar to "I need to throw up".

8BitNinja
2016-07-31, 04:47 AM
"Preacher, don't the Bible have some very specific things to say about killing?
"Very specific. I find somewhat fuzzy on the matter of kneecaps, however."

This is every cleric ever

Guancyto
2016-08-02, 02:02 AM
"She seems so cool, so focused, so quiet, yet her eyes remain fixed upon the horizon. You think you know all there is to know about her immediately upon meeting her, but everything you think you know is wrong. Passion flows through her like a river of blood.

She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here."
-Neil Gaiman

"When we hold each other, in the darkness, it doesn't make the darkness go away. The bad things are still out there. The nightmares still walking. When we hold each other we feel not safe, but better. 'It's all right' we whisper, 'I'm here, I love you.' and we lie: 'I'll never leave you.' For just a moment or two the darkness doesn't seem so bad."
-Neil Gaiman

Baaaaaards!

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
-Dream, Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. I mean everybody. All of the people in the whole world, I mean everybody — no matter how dull and boring they are on the outside. Inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds... Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe."
-Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

"Each person who ever was or is or will be has a song. It isn't a song that anybody else wrote. It has its own melody, it has its own words. Very few people get to sing their song. Most of us fear that we cannot do it justice with our voices, or that our words are too foolish or too honest, or too odd. So people live their song instead."
-Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys

eru001
2016-08-02, 07:48 AM
I SEE NOTHING, I KNOW NOTHING, I DO NOTHING
-Sgt Shultz

I always say I'll think of something, when I can't think of anything, but don't worry, I'm sure i'll think of something.
-Colonel Hogan

Well sure, I'd be great if the war ended, but then we'd be out of a swell job.
-Colonel Hogan

8BitNinja
2016-08-03, 11:22 PM
I always say I'll think of something, when I can't think of anything, but don't worry, I'm sure i'll think of something.
-Colonel Hogan

This is every character ever

Belac93
2016-08-03, 11:37 PM
"We're bad guys! It's what we do."
-Harley Quinn, suicide squad.

HalfTangible
2016-08-03, 11:42 PM
"Only in the Space Marines of the Legiones Astartes are courage and expertise perfectly blended. In other troops they are present in varying degrees and proportions, and many scholars have debated their relative merits.
For my own part, I come down on the side of courage. For courage can sometimes make a virtue of inexperience. I myself have commanded Imperial Guard troops whose probitor units have achieved great things, because they were too inexperienced to realise that their goal was impossible." -Leman Russ

"You may consider the following. One: I entirely withdraw my previous offer of solemn ceasefire. It is cancelled, and will not be made again, to you or to any other of your motherless bastards. Two: you are no longer any brother of mine. I will find you, I will kill you, and I will hurl your toxic corpse into hell’s mouth." -Roboute Guilliman

"Make war, and move on. And again, and again, until nothing stands against us. All else is sophistry and pretty lies." -Ferrus Manus

Pretty much anything any of the Primarchs have said, really.

8BitNinja
2016-08-04, 11:12 PM
"Only in the Space Marines of the Legiones Astartes are courage and expertise perfectly blended. In other troops they are present in varying degrees and proportions, and many scholars have debated their relative merits.
For my own part, I come down on the side of courage. For courage can sometimes make a virtue of inexperience. I myself have commanded Imperial Guard troops whose probitor units have achieved great things, because they were too inexperienced to realise that their goal was impossible." -Leman Russ

This is obviously not talking about the Colonial Marines

HalfTangible
2016-08-05, 12:04 AM
This is obviously not talking about the Colonial Marines

I haven't seen any of the Aliens films but 'do great things because you're too inexperienced to realize your actual goal is impossible' sounds like the CM to me.

8BitNinja
2016-08-06, 12:12 AM
I haven't seen any of the Aliens films but 'do great things because you're too inexperienced to realize your actual goal is impossible' sounds like the CM to me.

Yes, but the problem is that in Aliens (this is not much of a spoiler) is that as soon as the poop hit the fan, the Marines had no idea what to do. They were like Arnold's squad from Predator put in space.

Wait a minute...

(AvP)

HalfTangible
2016-08-06, 12:19 AM
Yes, but the problem is that in Aliens (this is not much of a spoiler) is that as soon as the poop hit the fan, the Marines had no idea what to do. They were like Arnold's squad from Predator put in space.

Wait a minute...

The impossible goal in this analogy would be 'stopping the xenomorphs'

CrazyPenguin
2016-08-06, 12:19 AM
"Listen, you don’t know me, son, so I’m gonna say this once: if I ever kill you, you’ll be awake, you’ll be facing me, and you’ll be armed."

mr_odd
2016-08-06, 07:49 AM
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

"Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe."

"Patience is the companion of wisdom."

"Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul."

"Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility."

"Work as though everything depended on you."

"Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation."

-Saint Augustine of Hippo

Vknight
2016-08-07, 09:56 AM
"Look just because the bullet doesn't break the skin doesn't mean it won't hurt."

"Its a cocktail, well chemical cocktail look point is I can mix more then drinks."

"A lethal dose is possible with about anything, probable no? Possible yes."

"So anything you wanna say before I take this shoot?" *bang*, "Oh crap you were going to say something; darn it I never let them say any last words."

"So I can reach Mach 3, well that is pretty cool, now if I just had some clothes which survived the friction"

"Listen its nice you want to fight me but I've killed dragons/TITANs(fill with appropriate to setting), your not all that scary to me and I most certainly am not going to lose"

King539
2016-08-07, 08:33 PM
8BitNinja:

"I cast magic missile at the darkness"

Lawful Good Sorcerer

+50 EXP for all who get the reference

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Scanlan approves. +1 Bardic Inspiration for you. :elan:

On topic, someone may have already done this, but...
"I am Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
-Inigo Montoya

Swashbuckler, Vengeance Paladin. Feel free to change the name.

Cluedrew
2016-08-07, 09:44 PM
"Excuse me, I need to go cough up some blood."
It sounds like something one would say after hearing or seeing something really disgusting. Similar to "I need to throw up".... I've actually used that expression before, in that context, when I'm feeling dramatic. So I guess someone who is dramatic and does not handle disgusting well.

"This spot marks our grave. But you may rest here, too, if you [wish]."
That is very different from how I read it.

A determined warrior who has decided to lay down his life in this one last battle.
I initially read this as a threat to his opponent, offering to drag them with him to the grave.
My second reading is speaking to his allies, asking if anyone else will join his apparent suicide mission.

Sidenote: I thought it said 'my grave' at first.So sort of a "we die where we stand" thing... that also works. Someone who will walk with open eyes to the end. I like it.

-El Goonish Shive: Commentary

Several interpretations:
Someone who admits to a fault (low intellect) but does not let it stop them.
Someone who admits to a fault (low intellect) but does not accommodate for it.
Someone who does not put a lot of stack in the established criteria.
Someone who knows something that you can't figure out on intellect alone.
Someone impulsive who thinks over-thinking leads to problems.Although this does feel like sage advice it is also very competitive. Possibly a warrior monk, the old master, giving advice about how to use what you have effectively.

Yet there is something just a little bit off about it. Can't quite put my figure on it, maybe it is just a little to focused on victory. But maybe there is something off about the master too. Do they train the darker monks? Maybe they are hiding something?-El Goonish Shive

Raw power does not a warrior make.

A character who has the power, but not the training or attitude or nerve to back it up.-Manifold Destiny

Generally helpful folk you know nothing about. And I'm guessing you just sort of know that trying to find out more would not be met well.-Manifold Destiny

I sort of like the idea of someone getting really close to the action to get that picture. A show-off action junky.

8BitNinja
2016-08-07, 11:16 PM
The impossible goal in this analogy would be 'stopping the xenomorphs'

The Marines didn't stop the xenomorphs, Ripley did.

HalfTangible
2016-08-07, 11:18 PM
The Marines didn't stop the xenomorphs, Ripley did.

Nah, she didn't.

You can't stop the xenomorphs.

They always win.

Mostly because Weyland-Yutani is the dumb.

Belac93
2016-08-07, 11:23 PM
“Such is the vastness of his genius that he can outwit even himself.”
― Steven Erikson, Deadhouse Gates

“The heart of wisdom is tolerance.”
― Steven Erikson, Memories of Ice

8BitNinja
2016-08-08, 11:53 PM
Nah, she didn't.

You can't stop the xenomorphs.

They always win.

Mostly because Weyland-Yutani is the dumb.

I mean that in the movie Alien and Aliens, Ripley is the one that resolved the conflict. The Marines helped, but most died before the rescue transport came. At that time, the xenomorph casualties were extremely low.

Michael7123
2016-08-14, 08:31 AM
"The world isn't worth saving. It never was."

Somone formerly good aligned who decided "if you can't beat them, join them." Doesn't think good exists.

8BitNinja
2016-08-14, 11:09 PM
"From now on I see a red sash (sign of the bandit gang terrorizing the town), I kill the man wearing it. So run you cur. And tell the other curs the law is coming. You tell 'em I'm coming! And Hell's coming with me you hear! Hell's coming with me!" -Wyatt Earp, Tombstone

A good one for a Paladin of Vengeance

Belac93
2016-08-15, 12:17 AM
"We're all puppets. I'm just a puppet that can see the strings."
-The Watchmen.

Vknight
2016-08-15, 01:46 AM
"Hey... hey I know what your thinking. And yes its going to get worse, but that's the fun with torture!"
-Someone very, very evil

"Now, don't start claiming I do not respect the law that couldn't be further from the truth. I respect it deeply, I will just exploit it viciously for my own gain. The law is here to protect as much as control and I'm just playing the game"

"The problem with moral codes on a assassin is they won't take the jobs people most want em for."

"I can tell right now you walked in here and your from a 1 fish town, well the problem is son this is the ocean and your not the big fish anymore."

8BitNinja
2016-08-15, 11:37 PM
"HERO!
Don't wanna hear you calling out my name
I'm not here for fortune and fame
HERO!
Instead, I'll fight knowing nobody knows my name...
(Nobody knows who he is!)
My foes are closing in and covering the sky!

...but I won't turn my back tonight!
HERO!
I'll stay - until I taste the dirt of defeat someday"
- One Punch Man Opening (Fan Translation)

A good one for any Good character

HalfTangible
2016-08-15, 11:40 PM
"Born into battle, raised by a war. We're born to battle cuz we're battleborn...* this is all we know:

We'll fight together, or die alone." -Team of warriors (from this rap (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhljlUvWq70))

*I'll be honest, I can't tell what was said here

Douche
2016-08-16, 09:17 AM
It's a little too specific, but the most awesome quote I've ever heard from a videogame is:

"You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities... Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you've built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which your precious Conclave shall awaken, finding themselves drowned in a greater nightmare."

Spoken by Zeratul, in Starcraft

8BitNinja
2016-08-16, 11:25 PM
"A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat."

A fighter with high WIS

Dravda
2016-08-17, 12:43 AM
I was reading The Art of War the other day, and I highly recommend it. It's surprisingly short and sweet, but has a wealth of wisdom and ideas. Here are some highlights:

Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.
If your opponent is of choleric temper, irritate him.
To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.
Hence that general is skillful in attack whose opponent does not know what to defend; and he is skillful in defense whose opponent does not know what to attack.
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.
Balk the enemy's power; force him to reveal himself.
The good fighters of old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat, and then waited for an opportunity of defeating the enemy.
In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity.
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
When you surround an army, leave an outlet free. Do not press a desperate foe too hard.
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.
When the enemy is relaxed, make them toil. When full, starve them. When settled, make them move.
The skillful tactician may be likened to the shuai-jan. Now the shuai-jan is a snake that is found in the Ch'ang mountains. Strike at its head, and you will be attacked by its tail; strike at its tail, and you will be attacked by its head; strike at its middle, and you will be attacked by head and tail both.
If he sends reinforcements everywhere, he will everywhere be weak.

HalfTangible
2016-08-17, 01:01 AM
"Now do you understand why so many people love me, even though I'm the biggest **** in this entire show?! It's because I'm Seto freaking Kaiba, accept no substitutes!" -Yugioh Abridged

Cluedrew
2016-08-17, 03:56 PM
Before I get to the quotes I thought I would point at some other threads that are about getting the seed idea of a character, one uses songs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?494721-Making-Characters-Out-of-Songs) and the other any 10 words (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?496808-Pitch-your-next-character-concept-in-under-10-words). On to the quotes.

Someone who's brain is so filled with high level knowledge beyond our understanding that all the low level knowledge we understand got forced out. Also seems to be working in a business/group context, maybe the absent minded professor who actually works at a university, or the head researcher at a company's R&D department.

The last of which makes me think of a Shadowrun character for some reason.-El Goonish Shive

Some people just always get under your skin. Not in "I hate this man" way but in "he can be annoying some times" way as no one has actually strangled George. Still balancing it out is important.-Underdogs

A drifter, and one near the bottom of the stack as you go up the jobs tend to get fancier and fancier names. You could stop there, someone who does odd jobs, but you could also give them a really broad or general skill base to show that past.OK, originally I was thinking someone who believed in doing something out of principle. Will to the right thing even though it is not going to accomplish anything. Which is getting into Lawful Stupid territory, but maybe they think that the attempt itself will accomplish something, send a message.

But then the determined voice I had been reading the second line with became light-hearted and joking. For some reason the speaker flicked their hand as they spoke as if pushing the first comment aside. Now I suppose you could strap that very different image onto the same idea but I'm going to change it up a bit. Now it really seems to be about fanfare, making a statement and having fun with it. Someone who seeks adventure and drama and with those doesn't need conventional success.-Middleways

A really good shot. Also a systematic one as she was counting out the kills.

Finally, I have one I would like to pitch to the thread and see what everyone else comes up with.
I can hear your heart beating.

eru001
2016-08-17, 07:54 PM
Yes it is. It is exactly that simple. Follow the code at all times, and things will work out in the end. That is why we have the code.

-Sir Matthew Pikebreaker

8BitNinja
2016-08-17, 11:56 PM
Yes it is. It is exactly that simple. Follow the code at all times, and things will work out in the end. That is why we have the code.

-Sir Matthew Pikebreaker

Sounds like a LG or LN character.

CrazyPenguin
2016-08-19, 12:21 AM
"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

"I don't believe there is a power in the verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful."

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."

"Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

"If anyone gets nosy, just, you know... shoot 'em."
"Shoot 'em?"
"Politely."

"So. Would you like to lecture me on the wickedness of my ways?"
"No, I brought you supper. Although if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped. Sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

"Can we maybe vote on the whole murdering people issue?"

"Don't think it's a good spot, sir. She still has the advantage over us."
"Everyone always does. That's what makes us special."

"Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job . And then I get paid."

"I've been out of the abbey two days, I've beaten a lawman senseless, I've fallen in with criminals. I watched the captain shoot the man I swore to protect. And I'm not even sure if I think he was wrong."

"How come you didn't turn on me, Jayne?"
"Money wasn't good enough."
"What happens when it is?"
[smiling] "Well... that'll be an interesting day."

"You had the Alliance on you, criminals and savages… half the people on this ship have been shot or wounded, including yourself, and you’re harboring known fugitives."
"We’re still flying."
"That’s not much."
"It’s enough."

Vknight
2016-08-19, 01:04 AM
"Listen there mind was broken so its not like this isn't a step up for them" :smalleek:

"I'm the best duelist in the world. And that is the truth of this situation let me show you"

falcon1
2016-08-19, 10:09 AM
Mal: We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty. - Someone who doesn't give a crap about odds or rules, and just goes for it. And wins

Allosaurus: Har har har! Mine is an evil laugh! Now die! -For a mustache twirling, Dastardly Whiplash type character

Mal: Say that to my face.
Lund: I said, you're a coward, and a pisspot. Now what are you gonna do about it?
Mal: Nothin'. I just wanted you to face me so she could get behind ya. - Someone very pragmatic about fighting. Has no concept of honor

eru001
2016-08-19, 04:21 PM
Sounds like a LG or LN character.

LG. He is a Knight of the Royal Guard of the Good Kingdom

HalfTangible
2016-08-19, 07:37 PM
"Be humble, or be humbled."

8BitNinja
2016-08-19, 11:08 PM
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" -George Washington

A good one for a fighter

GreyStormcrow
2016-08-20, 12:49 PM
"Strength does not make one capable of rule; it makes one capable of service."

"Sometimes standing against evil is more important than defeating it."

"Unlucky? Not at all, I have plenty of luck. It's just all bad luck."

"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!"

"A good magician never reveals how a trick is done. An evil magician never leaves any evidence that there was a trick in the first place. So which am I going to have to be today?"

"I am a stick."

“Sometimes the prize is not worth the costs. The means by which we achieve victory are as important as the victory itself.”

“Why did it seem that the more he demonstrated himself to be an idiot, the more convinced people became that he had some kind of hidden depths?”

"All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.”

"I'm not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation."

“It kills me sometimes, how people die.”

“Hello! Would you like to destroy some evil today?”

"He’d already killed one god. The second murder was always easier than the first.”

8BitNinja
2016-08-21, 03:42 AM
“Hello! Would you like to destroy some evil today?”

This is every good character I have made.

Lord Raziere
2016-08-22, 02:26 AM
This is every good character I have made.

Oddly, that quote is from a crazy talking sword that doesn't know what evil is, only that its commanded to destroy it.

So.....it can also be the source of many crazy people with maniacal grins who THINK they know what evil is and kill whoever they think is evil, or only have a fuzzy idea of morality and think that destroying evil is enough. lots of fun, and is a good potential party member who while not being Good, can still work with good people to define what "evil" is to be destroyed.

8BitNinja
2016-08-22, 11:20 PM
The ones who do what they want and enjoy the most of their lives are the ones who win in the end. -Staz Charlie Blood, Blood Lad

Cluedrew
2016-09-03, 10:03 AM
I cannot help but think of one of those spy-comedies. Competent but in ways that may no logical sense.-El Goonish Shive

When you are in over your head, ask for help. Being able to do that readily is a strength in itself.
Mechanically you might have some diplomatic skill or contacts.-El Goonish Shive: Commentary

One of those cartoon villains, that plays the roll but isn't really evil. If you actually want to play a comedy, and not just a comedic game, maybe this would work as your villain.So I'm going to assume that this was said at a time where one would not normally be able to hear another's heart. Could be a doctor with a stethoscope, but there are more appropriate quotes for that.

The obvious or more straight forward explanation for this they have really good senses, at least hearing. By itself it is a simple statement, but I can't help but wonder why they would say it. For the straightforward case, I think it is a reminder of just how good, or perhaps just how dangerous they really are. Some sort of spy or assassin who can react to the smallest details. Of course the fact that they have to remind people of that says they don't usually come across that way.

The other one I can think of is that they have some sort of mystic connection to the world around them, allowing them to sense (or hear) someone else's heart beat. In this sense it is a reminder of the spiritual side that others might miss or not be connected to.

This is actually one that has been bouncing around in my head for quite a while. Not sure why it took me so long to get to it.

JAL_1138
2016-09-03, 10:26 AM
"Dibs on his boots." --Anonymous (traditional)

Character: a cleric or other adherent of the ancient religion of the Pi'Ci people (worshippers of the over-god Di'Em) who is well-versed in the funerary rites and customs that date back to before their diaspora from the lost land of Blackmoor into the realms of the Flanaess and from there to the planes of the multiverse.

8BitNinja
2016-09-07, 01:57 AM
"Of course, every soldier is prepared to die. But these people aren’t just pawns on a chessboard. They all have names, families and feelings in their hearts too. They are all humans who live and bleed. You have the responsibility to ensure their death will not be in vain. No matter what may come, remember this in your naive heart, and be ready to die to fulfill that duty."
Riko Brzenska, Attack on Titan

Cluedrew
2016-09-17, 08:55 AM
aren't you."']-El Goonish Shive

Either someone very focused or very apathetic. Well, someone very focused on something in particular and apathetic to other things. It could be something in particular, but since it is the base of the character maybe they away have a particular focus they hate being dragged away from until they have completed it.-El Goonish ShiveBecause girls can be boys and boys can be girls. A very feminine (in appearance) male which you can easily flip around if you like.-El Goonish Shive: Commentary

The journey, not the destination as applied to mental exercises. Some sort of armchair philosopher. Or perhaps someone in training to be one? It isn't usually something you train in, but there are those unanswerable riddles monks use.

So we have a philosopher monk in-training... who is not particularly concerned with straight forward solutions.Well first, let this be remembered by those GMs who think the families of PCs are only good for killing off. For some reason this one made me think that is both a friends and enemies with their family, but I'm not entirely sure what that means, tough love/constraint ribbing?~Anonymous

One full of vengeance. It sort of makes me think of the gang mentality, "my defense is that everyone knows I will hurt you back". So I guess a gangster, although a wonderer who has a reputation might fit your classical game a bit better.
And one for other people to play with:

"They are all garbage." "And what does that make you." "Recycling."'

8BitNinja
2016-09-18, 03:36 AM
"Demons took your gold. When you get to hell, you can ask for it back." -Jake Longerman, Cowboys and Aliens

Lord Haart
2016-09-18, 11:25 AM
"Truth hurts. That's the best use of it."

Thought of that myself (no, i don't believe in that); i think it's a great phrase for a villain (or maybe an antihero). Any ideas?

HalfTangible
2016-09-18, 04:31 PM
"Truth hurts. That's the best use of it."

Thought of that myself (no, i don't believe in that); i think it's a great phrase for a villain (or maybe an antihero). Any ideas?

It could be a phrase used for good, in the right circumstances. Tough love is a thing.

CrazyPenguin
2016-09-18, 07:01 PM
"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within the range of your primary firearm."

IronLionShark
2016-09-18, 09:21 PM
Assuming nobody nabbed this quote.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
-Hal
2001: A Space Odyssey

Step 1: Make a Warforged character. (With high intellectual stats)

Step 2: That Warforged calls everyone Dave.

Step 3: ?

Step 4: What have the Romans ever done for us?

Step 5: Confusion

Step 7: Profit

The profit is a lie.

8BitNinja
2016-09-18, 11:12 PM
Assuming nobody nabbed this quote.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
-Hal
2001: A Space Odyssey

Step 1: Make a Warforged character. (With high intellectual stats)

Step 2: That Warforged calls everyone Dave.

Step 3: ?

Step 4: What have the Romans ever done for us?

Step 5: Confusion

0/10 Profit is not a listed step

IronLionShark
2016-09-18, 11:22 PM
0/10 Profit is not a listed step

Fixed, also. Your quote that I just put in a quote could be used to make a businessman.

GreyStormcrow
2016-09-19, 04:50 PM
"A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"

"When all else fails, there's always delusion."

“Honestly, for an evil god of darkness, he certainly can be dull.”

“Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.”

CrazyPenguin
2016-09-19, 06:36 PM
"Violence is always the answer. If violence hasn't solved all your problems, you simply aren't using enough. The same principle can also be applied to fire."

GreyStormcrow
2016-09-19, 07:23 PM
"If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it."

8BitNinja
2016-09-19, 11:24 PM
"A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"

"When all else fails, there's always delusion."

“Honestly, for an evil god of darkness, he certainly can be dull.”

“Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.”

Did you make these up, or are they somewhere?

Recherché
2016-09-20, 03:25 AM

The second at least is from the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix. In context its about some of the more powerful magics/bloodlines in that world and their tendency to commandeer the lives of their bearers. Would be cool for almost any character dragged into legend against their choice.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-09-20, 06:04 AM

The first one's from the 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries (http://schlockmercenary.wikia.com/wiki/The_Seventy_Maxims_of_Maximally_Effective_Mercenar ies), and I'm fairly certain the last one's from Discworld.

GreyStormcrow
2016-09-20, 08:08 AM

First one is Schlock Mercenary.
Second one is Sabriel.
Third one is... some random guy with an interesting quote. (Conan O'Brien.)
Fourth one is Mistborn.
Last one is Men at Arms.

vasilidor
2016-09-20, 10:11 AM
"I have not used enough explosives today."
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"need more duct tape, can never go wrong with duct tape."
"I punch, there for you hurt."
"I travel wherever the stick tells me."
"the answer to all riddles is violence. if some one is still asking you riddles, you have not used enough."
-several of these have been actually used as character concepts for me.