PDA

View Full Version : Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

8BitNinja
2016-09-20, 05:17 PM
The second at least is from the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix. In context its about some of the more powerful magics/bloodlines in that world and their tendency to commandeer the lives of their bearers. Would be cool for almost any character dragged into legend against their choice.

The first one's from the 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries (http://schlockmercenary.wikia.com/wiki/The_Seventy_Maxims_of_Maximally_Effective_Mercenar ies), and I'm fairly certain the last one's from Discworld.

First one is Schlock Mercenary.
Second one is Sabriel.
Third one is... some random guy with an interesting quote. (Conan O'Brien.)
Fourth one is Mistborn.
Last one is Men at Arms.

Well, now I have a lot of things to look up in my spare time.

Thank you

goto124
2016-09-21, 06:44 AM
"need more duct tape, can never go wrong with duct tape."
-several of these have been actually used as character concepts for me.

Do tell me about the Duct Tape character!

vasilidor
2016-09-21, 03:31 PM
Do tell me about the Duct Tape character!
I created a sorcerer, first used as a DMPC, and then a regular PC. had summon duct tape spell as a first level spell (creates 1d4 rolls +1d4 per 3 levels). max ranks in crafting stuff with it. made clothes, boats, bridges, traps and a great many other things using it. used mythbusters for inspiration on stuff to make at times. at higher levels he would cast his armor spell at the start of the day, then burn all the other first level spells summoning duct tape.

"If you think about some guy running around in black pajamas when you think of ninjas, your just making our job that much easier, which is something i would say if i were a ninja, which i am not saying i am."

Cluedrew
2016-09-21, 07:38 PM
, but there is no way he hasn't done background checks on every friend [his son] has ever had."']-El Goonish Shive

Paranoid, protective and very thorough. Makes me think of a retired secret agent, settled down enough to have kids. Although one who likes to plan a bit more than your average action movie spy.A very hippy individual. (Seriously? Isn't regular almond milk bio-natural-friendly-whatever-your-going for enough? Has to be home made?)I feel there more than a few players that this would describe, so why not create a character to go with it? An adrenaline junky, uninterested in the details and just wants to get to the action. From the 'save the world' phrase they may or may not caught up in some idealistic fantasy of the heroics as well.I'm not entirely sure what you want to do with a philosophic fellow nicknamed Slime, but amuses me.A trouble maker who has a reputation. Or maybe they don't, maybe they usually have the social grace to take no responsibility for it. But someone knows them too well and they can fool them... the trouble maker can't fool the person who knows them but can fool everybody else. Similar to the classic bard.

"Truth hurts. That's the best use of it."The classic villain inquisitor is one. How about a rebel, who holds a secret they can bring down the powers that be with. A whistle blower or a trader of hidden knowledge.

Oh hi goto124, haven't seen you in a while.

RickAllison
2016-09-21, 09:05 PM
"Sucking the infinite fortress of evil into a black hole may have been an overreaction..."

"Oh yeah, I've already been figuring out how to neutralize all of you!" [Said in a cheerful voice to her allies]

"It will trap you in a box that then hatches a swarm of bioengineered moths to devour your clothing. No clothing, no problems!"

"You nearly killed the entire party!"
"I nearly killed one. And actually killed a second. He got better!"
"You gave us no warning!"
"I gave you three seconds, that should have been plenty of time."

8BitNinja
2016-09-21, 11:37 PM
"Are we rushing in? Or are we going sneaky peeky like?" -British SAS Members, Counter Strike: Global Offensive

goto124
2016-09-22, 05:24 AM
A very hippy individual. (Seriously? Isn't regular almond milk bio-natural-friendly-whatever-your-going for enough? Has to be home made?)

Might depend on setting. In Shadowrun? Yep. Less so in a medieval setting.

Oh hi goto124, haven't seen you in a while.

Yeah, haven't been so active on these forums. Too many threads to read for my busy life these days. I've restricted myself to a few threads now.

HalfTangible
2016-09-22, 09:18 AM
"Leave it to me to make this a fair fight."

8BitNinja
2016-09-23, 11:47 PM
"Leave it to me to make this a fair fight."

This is good for an OP character in and underpowered party.

RickAllison
2016-09-23, 11:54 PM
This is good for an OP character in and underpowered party.

So the DMPC?

I'll show myself out now...

HalfTangible
2016-09-24, 12:00 AM
This is good for an OP character in and underpowered party.Yes, but I was thinking buffers/healers. That particular quote was for a Support class character from this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2cF9v1Q1L0)

So the DMPC?

I'll show myself out now...

Please do. :smalltongue:

RickAllison
2016-09-24, 01:25 AM
Yes, but I was thinking buffers/healers. That particular quote was for a Support class character from this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2cF9v1Q1L0)

Please do. :smalltongue:

Really, I first think of the second movie in the Dollars trilogy. Clint Eastwood striding onto the scene with a gun/spell at the ready for the enemy boss, then tosses the fighter's magic sword to him/casts a support spell to set the field level before taking a seat.

8BitNinja
2016-09-25, 01:23 AM
"You mess with the bomb and you are getting shot/
Then I'm pocketing all of the junk that you dropped" - JT Machinima CS: GO rap

CrazyPenguin
2016-09-28, 12:23 PM
"While she accepts that fire isn't always the answer, it is always her answer."

Lemmy
2016-09-28, 01:02 PM
"The reason Good always wins is because history is written by the victor."
I don't remember who...

A good motto for a villain or cynical anti-hero. :)

8BitNinja
2016-09-28, 05:20 PM
"While she accepts that fire isn't always the answer, it is always her answer."

Maybe a good one for a cryomancer? :smallbiggrin:

Cluedrew
2016-09-28, 07:30 PM
I was going to wait for a group of quotes, but this time I guess I am just going to reply and pitch.

"While she accepts that fire isn't always the answer, it is always her answer."She realizes that violence isn't always the answer (I'm going with metaphoric fire, but the violence can be propagated with fire) but at the same time is incapable of, or unwilling to, use other types of solutions such as diplomacy. Perhaps it is her history or a lack of confidence in her other abilities or something else entirely. But as someone that realizes her answer isn't always right and good, what does she do? She looks for a place to use her skills. She goes adventuring, where fire is the answer.

Two I would like to see what other people can do with. The first is rather vague, basically words bouncing around my head:

"Love me, hate me, leave me to die, but don't forget my name."

The second gives a bit more information, particularly because I am including the original character because I feel it adds to the quote.

"I still think one should learn from the past. But don't hold onto the things once their time has passed. Originations change and disappear, nations rise and fall and yes, when the their time comes, even the gods must die."
-Richards Aitheos, Load Cutter, Sun Slayer

eru001
2016-09-28, 08:19 PM
I have not come so far, given so much, and killed so many to surrender to a new foe who has just appeared. You sir outmatch me in every way, but while I yet draw breath you shall not have this kingdom.
-Sir Matthew Pikebreaker

I am a pirate, a scoundrel, a liar, a coward, and a thief. On top of that I am a literal monster from the stories your parents used to scare you with. I have done what was necessary to survive. While I survived, that little girl over there was tortured and turned into a Thing which should not exist by the things I ran from. How many more like her, are there? How many dead? How many still dying. If it is to fall to pirates and scoundrels to defend those few innocent who remain, then fine. I will do it. I won't die with a clean conscience, but it shall not get dirtier. More importantly, I won't die alone.
-Luke Thatcher

I have learned a number of tricks here and there. You are about to regret all of them.
- Marcus (Aces) Scaurus

I'm about to do the one damn decent thing I've ever done in my life, tell Pickett I'm sorry, CHARGE!
- Captain of the Guard, John Falkirk

Fair winds and full sails carry you to the halls of your ancestors. I shall give you your vengeance little one. Rest now child, I shall grant you peace.
- Sven Erikson

all quotes are from various characters I've played

8BitNinja
2016-09-28, 11:22 PM
I'm pretty sure it's already here but,

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine." - The Rifleman's Creed

Lord Raziere
2016-09-29, 02:16 PM
"Guys, I am only here to do two things: make snarky jokes and references no one else gets and solve things as pragmatically as possible. And I'm never gonna be out of either, so deal with it."

"My mommies taught me the values of open-mindedness, accepting people no matter their origins or preferences, kindness, enjoying life, and killing jerks who try to destroy any of the above!"

8BitNinja
2016-09-29, 11:23 PM
Fair winds and full sails carry you to the halls of your ancestors. I shall give you your vengeance little one. Rest now child, I shall grant you peace.
- Sven Erikson

This one sounds like a typical Nord.

eru001
2016-09-30, 06:06 AM
This one sounds like a typical Nord.

He was a dwarf in a setting with dwarves as just actual vikings. (so the same as every other group of dwarves but with longboats) This was how he swore vengeance over an NPC that was killed in a random encounter that ended up becoming major plot for the next large number of sessions.)

8BitNinja
2016-10-01, 04:47 AM
He was a dwarf in a setting with dwarves as just actual vikings. (so the same as every other group of dwarves but with longboats) This was how he swore vengeance over an NPC that was killed in a random encounter that ended up becoming major plot for the next large number of sessions.)

Oh, that makes sense. Dwarves have always been nordic, even the original dwarves.

Antioch
2016-10-04, 11:17 AM
Here are a handful I've accrued from both PCs and NPCs over the course of my DMing career.

"Good is that which evil fears. Justice is making those fears a reality."

"To know what is right and not do it is the worst cowardice."

"I have no use for men who have learned the limits of the possible."

"No one remembers the singer. The song remains."

"Speak softly, and employ a huge man with a crowbar."

"The sea gives and the sea takes. Mostly, I assist with the latter."

"Stupidity, by nature, is a crime punishable by death. Barring that, anything goes."

"It’s magic. I ain’t gotta explain ****."

"Why can't you see? This isn't about good or evil. Morality doesn't even enter into it. Good men will kill as quickly for what they want as evil men—only the things they want are different."

"Why don’t you leave the destruction of property and collateral damage to the professionals?"

"He was a good man. He deserved better gods."

"Gods die. And when they truly die they are unmourned and unremembered. Ideas are more difficult to kill than people, but they can be killed, in the end."

"Justice will prevail? Don't go blindly stating the obvious. Justice is, as ever, defined by the victors."

"I like my hands clean, but if reality insists, I won’t let shortsighted morality trump practical solutions."

"Why do you go away? So you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."

"I don't know why they're graciously overlooking the fact that I'm an unstable psychopath."

"The weak wish for peace. Grant them their stagnation."

"Live with no regrets, die with no remorse."

"Even a man who has nothing can still have faith. Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life."

"If all the world’s a stage, you can call me the critic."

"If you can fight and if you can win... you can live forever."

"I’m sorry. It’ll be different next time around, I promise."

"Good? Evil? Take your labels elsewhere- you put the coin in my hand, and they die all the same."

goto124
2016-10-04, 12:44 PM
"It’s magic. I ain’t gotta explain ****."

My favorite.

8BitNinja
2016-10-05, 12:20 AM
"Speak softly, and employ a huge man with a crowbar."

G Man follows this one.

Erit
2016-10-05, 01:31 AM
A twist on the good ol' 23rd Psalm.

"Yea, for though thou walk'st e'er through the valley in the Shadow of Death, thou shalt fear no evil, for thou art with me."

Good for tanks with perhaps a smidge too much confidence.

"Things do not go bump in the night for fear of waking me."

"Sickness must be purged."

"Hearken, O ye wailing tyrants!"

CrazyPenguin
2016-10-05, 08:38 AM
"Don't die. Survive. Beyond all odds, beyond all reason, survive. Then, when the storm has passed, pull yourself from the rubble into the eyes of the sun, and dance upon the graves of all who ever slighted you."

"The way I see it, the solution to this problem is fairly simple. All we need is a shotgun and a few shells."

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-10-05, 10:57 AM
A twist on the good ol' 23rd Psalm.

"Yea, for though thou walk'st e'er through the valley in the Shadow of Death, thou shalt fear no evil, for thou art with me."

Good for tanks with perhaps a smidge too much confidence.

Speaking of tanks...

"Yea verily, though I charge through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am driving a house-sized mass of **** you (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TankGoodness)."

Edit: Also reminded me of an OOC line about one of my characters:

Yea verily, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I have AC 32 and three overlapping hp pools.

8BitNinja
2016-10-05, 06:52 PM
"The way I see it, the solution to this problem is fairly simple. All we need is a shotgun and a few shells."

Whoever said this is a genius.

Cluedrew
2016-10-09, 02:26 PM
A possibly annoying individual with a strong survival sense, but backs it up by avoiding conflict instead of being really good at it. An anti-thesis in D&D but in other games it can work, and work quite well.Sometimes it is all a matter of perspective and the only difference between a mind-numbing horror and a local stray is how many times you have seen it in the ally.

Oh yeah, making a character: A character from a BAD PLACE.-William Gibson

The Chaotic rebel rouser. The fact things are not changing is a good enough reason to change them.-Far to the North

The patient seems to be suffering from protagonist syndrome.

OK, I got that line from the same place I got the quote. Besides the joke about things just happening to protagonists, I like the idea of a character (or group of characters) who goes on all these crazy adventures, but can never admit that they do.-Atomic Robo

The universal language. Especially in games, like D&D, where everyone has combat stats and abilities. If you want to make a character out of it then try a combat focused brute. Or perhaps a mute gunner. Or for a challenge see if you can make a character who manages to use guns in everything (even non-combat things).-Atomic Robo

If you are evil and you know it clap your hands. Seriously, this person is evil, realizes they are evil and makes no effort to hide it.
To Antioch: That is quite the collection, in terms of quality, quality and bonus points for getting them from actual games.

8BitNinja
2016-10-10, 09:06 PM
"I'll not stand idly by while a dragon burns my hold and slaughters my people." - Jarl Balgruuf the Greater, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

CrazyPenguin
2016-10-11, 07:23 AM
"I'll not stand idly by while a dragon burns my hold and slaughters my people." - Jarl Balgruuf the Greater, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Is it bad that I read this not only in his voice, but with the exact tone and inflection as that particular line?

I've played the beginning of Skyrim way to many times...

Belac93
2016-10-11, 09:01 AM
Is it bad that I read this not only in his voice, but with the exact tone and inflection as that particular line?

No, I did the same.

KnotKnormal
2016-10-11, 10:39 AM
"Death doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints. It takes, and it takes and it takes. But we keep living anyway. we rise and we fall, we break, and we make our mistakes. If there is a reason I'm still alive when so many have died, then I'm willing to wait for it."
-Aaron Burr-

"Talk less. Smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.
-Aaron Burr-

"I imagined death so much, it feels more like a memory. When's it going to get me? in my sleep? 7 feet ahead of me? if I see it do I run or do I let it be? Is it like a beat with out a melody? I never thought I'd live past 20. Where I come from, some get half as many."
-Alexander Hamilton

8BitNinja
2016-10-12, 06:03 PM

I've played the beginning of Skyrim way to many times...

I also did the same

SirBellias
2016-10-12, 06:58 PM
"Not all who wander are found."

"The secret to a long life lies in how acutely you perceive time."

Pauly
2016-10-12, 10:01 PM
How was I supposed to know he was unarmed - he had his back to me

8BitNinja
2016-10-12, 10:48 PM
"Not all who wander are found."

Did you modify a J.R.R. Tolkien quote?

eru001
2016-10-21, 08:50 AM
This is a strange place. The friendly shepardly priest is a murderer. The children are protected from harm, very well mind you, by a ruthless pirate. Hordes of demons attacking the town square is considered normal and nothing to get too worked up about. A werewolf is both a town guardsmen, and the town guard's tracking hound. This morning a man was murdered at breakfast for the high crime of sitting at the wrong seat, nobody batted an eye. Yet despite all of these things, the greatest cause for alarm in this town according to it's residents, is an anthill. Why do people live here?
-Said of the town of Whitewood.

malachi
2016-10-21, 10:28 AM
This is a strange place. The friendly shepardly priest is a murderer. The children are protected from harm, very well mind you, by a ruthless pirate. Hordes of demons attacking the town square is considered normal and nothing to get too worked up about. A werewolf is both a town guardsmen, and the town guard's tracking hound. This morning a man was murdered at breakfast for the high crime of sitting at the wrong seat, nobody batted an eye. Yet despite all of these things, the greatest cause for alarm in this town according to it's residents, is an anthill. Why do people live here?
-Said of the town of Whitewood.

This (http://townofwhitewood.ca/) Whitewood? I always knew those Canadians were messed up...

8BitNinja
2016-10-22, 04:23 PM
"(Laughing) I can't read"- ASDF Movie

Every Sorcerer ever (when being compared to a wizard)

eru001
2016-10-26, 11:13 AM
You and I will soon find ourselves on opposite sides of a war. The minute I leave this tavern you and I become enemies and I will try to kill you if we cross paths. I pray that in ten years time we may meet with the war over, and share drinks once more. Goodbye old friend, may the spirits watch over you, please do not follow me out.

Luke Thatcher

Erit
2016-10-26, 04:10 PM
"This isn't about right or wrong, left or right, up or down. Backwards and forwards are meaningless in this. There is but one axis; at one end lies you, and at the other lies me."

"Y'know, I never stopped to consider it until now, but don't people continue to exist when we aren't looking at them?"

"I forgot to remember to forget."

8BitNinja
2016-10-26, 07:04 PM
You and I will soon find ourselves on opposite sides of a war. The minute I leave this tavern you and I become enemies and I will try to kill you if we cross paths. I pray that in ten years time we may meet with the war over, and share drinks once more. Goodbye old friend, may the spirits watch over you, please do not follow me out.

Luke Thatcher

What is this from? I really like this quote.

goto124
2016-10-26, 08:42 PM
"Y'know, I never stopped to consider it until now, but don't people continue to exist when we aren't looking at them?"

Life of a PC...

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-10-27, 08:15 AM
A few quotes from a certain British naval officer, that I really should have put up on the 21st (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Trafalgar):

First, you must always implicitly obey orders, without attempting to form any opinion of your own respecting their propriety. Secondly, you must consider every man your enemy who speaks ill of your king; and, thirdly, you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil.

Desperate affairs require desperate measures.

May the Great God, whom I worship, grant to my country and for the benefit of Europe in general, a great and glorious Victory; and may no misconduct in any one tarnish it; and may humanity after Victory be the predominant feature of the British Fleet. For myself, individually, I commit my life to Him who made me, and may His blessing light upon my endeavors for serving my Country faithfully. To Him I resign myself and the just cause which is entrusted to me to defend. Amen. Amen. Amen.

No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy.

Duty is the great business of a officer; all private considerations must give way to it, however painful it may be.

The lives of all are in the hands of Him who knows best whether to preserve it or no, and to His will do I resign myself. My character and good name are in my own keeping. Life with disgrace is dreadful. A glorious death is to be envied, and, if anything happens to me recollect death is a debt we must all pay, and whether now or in a few years hence can be but of little consequence.

England expects that every man will do his duty.

eru001
2016-10-27, 11:03 AM
What is this from? I really like this quote.

a campaign I play in. Me and one of the other players chose opposite sides in a huge war. (both are good characters and close friends and each side has it's own strong moral argument. The sides vaguely stack up as LG vs CG, I chose LG he chose CG)

Excession
2016-10-29, 01:00 AM
"What got into you anyway?"
"I dunno. She started calling me a hero, and things just went downhill from there."

Heroism is the metagame, seen from the other side.

eru001
2016-11-01, 11:07 AM
So I tried to get the cork out of the winebottle. It is now inside the wine bottle. but on the plus side, hey, we can pour the wine now. I call it a victory.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-01, 01:29 PM
"I love being a teacher, I get to learn so many great things."

Cluedrew
2016-11-01, 01:36 PM
Special Edition: A quote you can build a character off of and the character I built off of it.

"Like poetry, like music, like violence."

Ammanda Kelly Nightengale (Yes, non-standard spellings)

Ammanda was/is a mercenary that got a job from one of the other PCs. She is well kept, well spoken, honors her job and uses violence to solve all her problems. Not to say she was mindlessly violent, in fact mindfully violent might be an apt description, but if hurting things would in anyway improve the situation she would start hurting things.

Her iconic moments include the moment everyone else at the table realized I was not playing my usual 'let's talk/think things out' type. There was a guy who was planning some bad things for the party... so as he was recruiting some people and then "Ammanda walks over to him, grabs him by the hair and smashes his head against the railing." It actually worked, he agreed to drop it and Ammanda got him some first aid.

The other moment was when she single-handedly (in that she was the only one fighting, she got some support abilities from others in the party) fighting a swarm of monsters. By the numbers each about as strong as she was, but between the specials and rolling the highest level of success 5 times in a row she held them off. She had to be saved afterwards as she had 1 Hit Point left and was bleeding, but she bought enough time to for everyone else to save the day.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-01, 01:40 PM
"I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE ****ING SOUL!"

- The Spoony One

A character who is a raging unarmed fighter, such as a chaotic monk variant.

8BitNinja
2016-11-01, 06:30 PM
"I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE ****ING SOUL!"

- The Spoony One

A character who is a raging unarmed fighter, such as a chaotic monk variant.

What video was this from? I'm pretty sure I've seen every Spoony video, but I don't remember this quote.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-02, 08:00 AM
What video was this from? I'm pretty sure I've seen every Spoony video, but I don't remember this quote.

His Let's Play of SWAT 4.

8BitNinja
2016-11-02, 05:07 PM
His Let's Play of SWAT 4.

I have to check this out. I remember him referencing the game in his FF XIII review.

And since I haven't added one in a while

Legionnaire, you are a volunteer serving France with honour and fidelity.
Each legionnaire is your brother in arms whatever his nationality, his race or his religion might be. You show him the same close solidarity that links the members of the same family.
Respect for traditions, devotion to your leaders, discipline and comradeship are your strengths, courage and loyalty your virtues.
Proud of your status as legionnaire, you display this in your always impeccable uniform, your always dignified but modest behaviour, and your clean living quarters.
An elite soldier, you train rigorously, you maintain your weapon as your most precious possession, and you take constant care of your physical form.
The mission is sacred, you carry it out until the end and, if necessary in the field, at the risk of your life.
In combat, you act without passion and without hate, you respect defeated enemies, and you never abandon your dead, your wounded, or your arms.

-French Foreign Legion Code of Honor

A good one for a Lawful Good Fighter or Paladin

eru001
2016-11-08, 12:41 PM
Forgive me gentlemen, but I must put on my specticles, for I have grown blind as well as gray in service to my country, I would not see it so soon divided.

-George Washington

In the budget which has been passed by Congress, I see millions for defence, and not a cent for tribute.

-John Adams

In matters of style swim with the current, in matters of principle stand like a rock.

-Thomas Jefferson

A popular Government without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy

-James Madison

Honor is the property of highest Value

-James Monroe

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.

-John Quincy Adams

I for one do not despair of the Republic. I have great faith in the virtue of the great majority of the people and thus cannot fear the result.

-Andrew Jackson, (said one election prior to winning the presidency)

The government should not be guided by Temporary Excitement, but by Sober Second Thought.

-Martin Van Buren

The only legitimate right to govern is an express grant of power from the governed

-William Henry Harrison

I contend that the strongest of all governments is that which is most free

-John Tyler

No president who performs his duties faithfully and conscientiously can have any leisure

-James K Polk

It would be judicious to act with magnanimity towards a prostrate foe

-Zachary Taylor

Upon you fellow citizens, Is wisely devolved the legislative power.

-Millard Fillmore

Frequently the more trifilling the subject, the more protracted the discussion

-Franklin Pierce

The test of leadership is not to put greatness into humanity, but to bring forth the greatness already there

-James Buchanan

A house divided cannot stand.

-Abraham Lincoln

If i am shot at I desire no man to stand in the path of the bullet.

-Andrew Johnson

I have never advocated war, Except as a means of peace

-Ulysses S Grant

The President of the United States should strive to be always mindful of the fact that he who serves his party best is he who serves his country best.

-Rutherford B Hayes

A pound of Pluck is worth a ton of Luck

-James Garfield

Men may die, but the fabrics of free institution live on

-Chester A Arthur

The Ship of Democracy, which can weather all storms, may only sink to a mutany of those aboard.

-Grover Cleveland

The bud of victory is truth

-Benjamin Harrison

Our differences are policies, our agreements principles

-William McKinley

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best the wrong thing, and the worst, nothing.

-Theodor Roosevelt

We are all imperfect, we cannot expect perfect government.

-William Taft

I would rather lose in a cause that will someday win, than win in a cause that will someday lose

-Woodrow Wilson

Words without actions are the assassins of Ideals

-Herbert Hoover

We have nothing to fear but fear itself

-Franklin Roosevelt

The Buck Stops Here

-Harry Truman

You do not lead by hitting people over the head, that's assault not leadership

-Dwight D Eisenhower

And so my fellow Americans, Ask Not, what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.

-John F Kennedy

Yesterday is not ours to recover but tomorrow is ours to win.

-Lyndon Johnson

Defeat doesn't finish a man, quit does. A man is not finished when he's defeated. He's finished when he quits.

-Richard Nixon

History and experience tell us that moral progress comes not in comfortable and complacent times, but out of trial and confusion.

-Gerald Ford

We must adjust to changing times and still hold to unchanging principles.

-Jimmy Carter

I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph. And there's purpose and worth to each and every life

-Ronal Reagan

We may have had our differences Bill, but you won, you are now my president too. So Bill, remember, I'm rooting for you. Your success is your country's success, your loss its loss. Go out there and win. I'm rooting for you.

-George H W Bush (in a letter to Bill Clinton, left sitting on the desk in the oval office on the last day of George's Presidency)

Strength and wisdom are not opposing values

-Bill Clinton

We can afford neither to tire, falter, nor fail

-George W. Bush

There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Barack Obama

HalfTangible
2016-11-08, 01:19 PM
Forgive me gentlemen, but I must put on my specticles, for I have grown blind as well as gray in service to my country, I would not see it so soon divided.

-George Washington

In the budget which has been passed by Congress, I see millions for defence, and not a cent for tribute.

-John Adams

In matters of style swim with the current, in matters of principle stand like a rock.

-Thomas Jefferson

A popular Government without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy

-James Madison

-James Monroe

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.

-John Quincy Adams

I for one do not despair of the Republic. I have great faith in the virtue of the great majority of the people and thus cannot fear the result.

The government should not be guided by Temporary Excitement, but by Sober Second Thought.

-Martin Van Buren

The only legitimate right to govern is an express grant of power from the governed

-William Henry Harrison

-John Tyler

No president who performs his duties faithfully and conscientiously can have any leisure

-James K Polk

-Zachary Taylor

-Millard Fillmore

-Franklin Pierce

The test of leadership is not to put greatness into humanity, but to bring forth the greatness already there

-James Buchanan

-Abraham Lincoln

-Andrew Johnson

-Ulysses S Grant

The President of the United States should strive to be always mindful of the fact that he who serves his party best is he who serves his country best.

-Rutherford B Hayes

-James Garfield

-Chester A Arthur

The Ship of Democracy, which can weather all storms, may only sink to a mutany of those aboard.

-Grover Cleveland

-Benjamin Harrison

-William McKinley

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best the wrong thing, and the worst, nothing.

-Theodor Roosevelt

-William Taft

I would rather lose in a cause that will someday win, than win in a cause that will someday lose

-Woodrow Wilson

-Herbert Hoover

-Franklin Roosevelt

The Buck Stops Here

-Harry Truman

-Dwight D Eisenhower

And so my fellow Americans, Ask Not, what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.

-John F Kennedy

-Lyndon Johnson

Defeat doesn't finish a man, quit does. A man is not finished when he's defeated. He's finished when he quits.

-Richard Nixon

History and experience tell us that moral progress comes not in comfortable and complacent times, but out of trial and confusion.

-Gerald Ford

-Jimmy Carter

I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph. And there's purpose and worth to each and every life

-Ronal Reagan

We may have had our differences Bill, but you won, you are now my president too. So Bill, remember, I'm rooting for you. Your success is your country's success, your loss its loss. Go out there and win. I'm rooting for you.

-George H W Bush (in a letter to Bill Clinton, left sitting on the desk in the oval office on the last day of George's Presidency)

-Bill Clinton

-George W. Bush

There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Barack Obama
I nominate this for 'best post in the thread'.

"As a rule, men fear what they can't see more often than what they can." -Julius Caesar

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer." -John F. Kennedy

8BitNinja
2016-11-08, 05:25 PM

-George Washington

-John Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

-James Madison

-James Monroe

-John Quincy Adams

-Martin Van Buren

-William Henry Harrison

-John Tyler

-James K Polk

-Zachary Taylor

-Millard Fillmore

-Franklin Pierce

-James Buchanan

-Abraham Lincoln

-Andrew Johnson

-Ulysses S Grant

-Rutherford B Hayes

-James Garfield

-Chester A Arthur

-Grover Cleveland

-Benjamin Harrison

-William McKinley

-Theodor Roosevelt

-William Taft

-Woodrow Wilson

-Herbert Hoover

-Franklin Roosevelt

The Buck Stops Here

-Harry Truman

-Dwight D Eisenhower

-John F Kennedy

-Lyndon Johnson

-Richard Nixon

-Gerald Ford

-Jimmy Carter

-Ronal Reagan

-Bill Clinton

-George W. Bush

Barack Obama

Wow, all the Presidents of America so far. Nice job.

Although Lincoln was quoting Jesus when he said that quote, so in a way, it's a quote within a quote.

Cluedrew
2016-11-08, 06:57 PM
I nominate this for 'best post in the thread'.
Wow, all the Presidents of America so far. Nice job.Come on guys, did you have to quote the whole thing?

Although I thought the fear quote from Franklin Roosevelt came from Churchill's Fight them on the Beaches speech. Apparently not but I found this one which... I don't quite agree with but is kind of funny.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. -Winston Churchill

goto124
2016-11-09, 12:11 PM
Might want to be careful about politics here.

Getting back on topic:

"Hey baby-"
"Please stop making lame pickup lines."

8BitNinja
2016-11-09, 08:01 PM
Might want to be careful about politics here.

Getting back on topic:

"Hey baby-"
"Please stop making lame pickup lines."

Who are you quoting here

HalfTangible
2016-11-09, 08:09 PM
"It's MY property! All sixty gazillion acres of it!" -Kled

Katrina
2016-11-10, 02:44 AM
"Some may call it a curse, a life like mine. But others, a Blessing.
It's certainly a lonely life, but a fulfilling one at best.
It's my cross to bear, and I bear it gladly.
Someone has to take a stand against Evil.
Why should it not be me?"

-Within Temptation. "Why not me?" from The Unforgiving Album.

Excellent for an Inquistor, particularly gritty Paladin, or other dedicated character with a dark past.

8BitNinja
2016-11-10, 05:58 PM
"At this time, we wish to abduct you for the purpose of scientific research. The procedure will be protracted and invasive. Do you have any objections?" - Cryptosporidium, Destroy all Humans

Belac93
2016-11-12, 12:11 AM
Here are a few for my recent character (named 'Black Cat'). He is a Kenku arcane trickster, who speaks exclusively in Edgar Allen Poe Quotes.

“Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.”

"Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore —
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore.""

8BitNinja
2016-11-12, 12:28 PM
"Watch out for these fellas; they've got a bit of an arsenal and they don't mind using it" - British SAS, Counter Strike: Global Offensive

Teapot Salty
2016-11-12, 03:09 PM
"Watch out for these fellas; they've got a bit of an arsenal and they don't mind using it" - British SAS, Counter Strike: Global Offensive

"Are we rushin' in? Or are we goin' sneaky, peaky like?"

8BitNinja
2016-11-12, 06:56 PM
"Are we rushin' in? Or are we goin' sneaky, peaky like?"

"You're a champ Sonny"

Cluedrew
2016-11-14, 09:59 PM
Hey! Teapot Salty, we still got the thread going.

And its Nikola Tesla's fault." "Okay, that sounds a little plausible."']-Atomic Robo

What did he do this time? Hey if you want a the next world ending threat to come from a non-villain type, a scientist (or magician) who deals with powers beyond their control might do.Someone who was asked to give something up but refused to. Maybe out of selfishness, maybe because the one who asked was a hypocrite.-Sturzkampf (with reference to Discworld)

In the world of mighty adventures, just having survival instincts can be a pretty significant character trait. I had one character who was mildly famous just for their willingness to surrender.A really tough martial. A dedicated, learned and very fit one who fights on par with magic users in a setting where "caster/martial" disparity is a thing.-Atomic Robo

A hidden world adventure who has been through a couple of strange ordeals already might do. Feel free to swap out "ageless super robot billionaire mad scientist" (although, why would you) for some other unusual public face.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-16, 02:42 PM
Dunno if it's been mentioned but...

"I aim to misbehave."

8BitNinja
2016-11-16, 08:03 PM
"I may be evil, but at least I'm not full of crap!"
— Dr. Insano, The Spoony Experiment

Cluedrew
2016-12-05, 08:17 AM
-Atomic Robo

You know, I'm sure you could build a character off of this, but I also like it because it is a good summery of Atomic Robo. You have his/its straightforward style with big blunt melee weapons, you have the type of enemies in giant monsters (or the comic book style enemy) a hint at Robo's age with the `50s and finally the (pseudo) science.-Atomic Robo

Someone who recognizes the value of stealth, but does not really care for it. I see a ShadowRun character (or one in any heist game) who will abandon stealth as soon as doing so is a reasonable option.-Mailbox Rocketship

That's not what safe means. Planner or inventor who considers safety to be... actually they probably haven't even considered safety.-Mailbox Rocketship

The one people go to when they have problems. A supportive type, possibly charismatic or maybe just a good listener.-Lint

Hey, if you want to show off your thiefness in the party, maybe instead of stealing something actually important, mess around with the parties' socks. "That was easy!" "Have you seen how scary you are when you're angry?"']-Footloose

A terrifying character who doesn't realize they are terrifying.And we are back, if only for a time.

8BitNinja
2016-12-05, 08:32 PM
I'm not the good guy if you couldn't tell
I may be bad, but I do it so well
I'm half the reason these games even sell
Don't call me evil, I'm just out for myself!
-JT Machinima, Video Game Villains Rap

A good one for any evil character

Belac93
2016-12-05, 11:37 PM
"The goal isn’t to live forever. The goal is to create something that will."

“Is that all we mortals are? The victims of tortured irony to amuse an insane murder of gods? A murder of crows, a murder of gods-I like that, lass.”
-Steven Erikson, House of Chains

"The only death I fear is dying ignorant.”
― Steven Erikson, Gardens of the Moon

“The best lies about me are the ones I told.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

“You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

eru001
2016-12-06, 07:48 AM
That which does not kill me has made a tactical error.

Do unto others.

When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support.

If violence was not your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

-the 70 maxims of maximally effective mercenaries

8BitNinja
2016-12-06, 06:58 PM

Do unto others.

When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support.

If violence was not your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

-the 70 maxims of maximally effective mercenaries

All 70 of these maxims could make good characters.

CrazyPenguin
2016-12-06, 07:43 PM
"So, um, how come you don’t care where you’re going?"
"‘Cause how you get there is the worthier part."

8BitNinja
2016-12-06, 10:49 PM
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." -Theodore Roosevelt

Eno Remnant
2016-12-07, 02:22 AM
"As the great poet Asrygod once wrote, he who lives by the sword shall die by the sword. By that logic: he who lives by the bow shall die by the bow; he who lives by the spell shall die by the spell; he who lives by the quill shall die by the quill, et cetera.

The moral of the story? Make your living out of making love."

From the mind of yours truly, intended for a 'woo all the ladies and ladylike creatures' bard.

the OOD
2016-12-07, 03:43 PM
"Be precise, minimize damage, lead with grenades."

8BitNinja
2016-12-07, 03:57 PM
From the mind of yours truly, intended for a 'woo all the ladies and ladylike creatures' bard.

So the entire elven race on top of all females?

Eno Remnant
2016-12-07, 06:00 PM
So the entire elven race on top of all females?

Wouldn't be the first to make that mistake :smalltongue:

8BitNinja
2016-12-08, 03:53 PM
Wouldn't be the first to make that mistake :smalltongue:

You mean that there are elf men? :smallconfused:

And dwarf women? :smalleek:

Masema
2016-12-08, 05:53 PM
"Never be cruel, and never be cowardly, and if you ever are, always make amends."
"No second chances. I'm that sort of man."
"And then we discovered why — why this [man], who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden. He was being kind."
"We've got enough warriors. And any old idiot could be a hero."
"Whatever you've got planned, forget it! I'm the Oncoming Storm, the Bringer of Darkness,"
"in that battle there was a man with more blood on his hands than any other. A man who would commit a crime that would silence the universe. And that man was me."
" Too long I have stayed my hand. No more. Today you leave me no choice. Today this war will end. No more. No more."
"What we do today is not out of fear or hatred, it is done because there is no other way."

This one's not to build this character. I just have to share it.

The Doctor: Ahh! Bacon!
[the Doctor eats the bacon, then promptly spits it out]
The Doctor: That's bacon! Are you trying to poison me?
[Amy begins cooking again]
The Doctor: Beans!
[the Doctor eats the fried beans, and promptly spits them out]
The Doctor: Beans are evil. Bad bad beans.
[Amy butters a slice of plain bread]
The Doctor: Bread and butter! Now you're talking.
[the Doctor runs outside and flings the bread and butter out]
The Doctor: And stay out!

8BitNinja
2016-12-08, 06:51 PM
"While evil flourishes and wrongs grow rank, while men are persecuted and women wronged, while weak things, human or animal, are maltreated, there is no rest for me beneath the skies, nor peace at any board or bed. Farewell!"
— Solomon Kane, The Blue Flame of Vengeance

Definitely a good one for a paladin.

Roan_Spence
2016-12-11, 04:42 PM
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."
--Harry Potter, from the Marauders' Map.

(Good for generally mischievious characters)

"The Bible is very clear about killing. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."
--Firefly.

(I can see this being a cleric or a paladin)

"Nothing is more dangerous than a little knowledge, and a conscience that's open to debate."
--Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness (a Harry Potter fan fiction)

(A wizard with questionable morality or a rogue perhaps)

"I have no time to argue which of us is the bigger hypocrite."-- Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero

(I think fitting for a villain depending on the setting.)

AlmaPenzare
2016-12-13, 01:41 AM
As I posted in the out of context quotes thread;

"I bring diplomacy through fire and mutilation."

Another good one is just plain.

"Fake it till you make it or break it."

8BitNinja
2016-12-13, 06:16 PM
"He who strikes terror in others is himself continually in fear." - Claudius Claudianus

I don't know what character would have this one, but I found this as one of the loading screen messages in CS: GO.

eru001
2016-12-15, 10:02 AM
A quotefrom a campaign I'm in

As I lay me down to sleep, I set these traps my soul to keep
and should I die before I wake, my killer's soul I pray them take

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-12-15, 11:45 AM
A few from Blackadder, ever a good source for the snarky and somewhat-less-than-serious, but also sometimes for the serious:

It is said that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total ******** to remind me I'm best.

The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

I have a plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it.

[upon being confronted with extreme stupidity] I would advise you to make the explanation you are about to give... phenomenally good.

A man may fight for many things: his country, his principles, his friends, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a stack of French porn.

I want to be remembered when I'm dead. I want books written about me. I want songs sung about me. And then, hundreds of years from now, I want episodes of my life to be played out weekly at half past nine by some great heroic actor of the age.

They do say... that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head.

If I should die, think only this of me... I'll be back to get you.

I am a fully rounded human being, with a degree from the university of life, a diploma from the school of hard knocks, and three gold stars from the kindergarten of getting the **** kicked out of me.

The Teutonic reputation for brutality is well-founded: their operas last three or four days, and they have no word for "fluffy".

I'm not a religious man, as you know, but henceforth I shall nightly pray to the God who killed Cain and squashed Samson that he comes out of retirement and gets back into practice.

No one would spot another madman around here.

[upon facing certain death] ...Good luck everyone.

Lawleepawpz
2016-12-15, 01:47 PM
"Misfortune is swifter than death"

Used for any character who had the ability to alter rolls.

"He thinks the sun is a rock, and the moon is of earth!"

A barbarian.

"When your time comes to die, be not like those Whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."

Paladin.

"I AM THE BANE OF YOUR EXISTENCE!"

Any CE warrior type.

8BitNinja
2016-12-15, 06:54 PM
I might have already posted this one, but this is a great paladin one

And they ask, "What is a Hero?"
though the answer's very clear,
He's the one who faces danger
when the darkness hovers near.
He will face the fiercest foe
when another needs his aid,
He will dare to defy Death
even though he is afraid,
He works not just for glory
and he does it not for gain,
But because he knows that others
will be spared a greater pain.
He won't always follow orders,
for he dares to answer, "Why?"
And unless he likes the reason,
he refuses to comply,
He will brave the battle boldly
even though he may not win,
He will face his fate unflinching,
for he is a Paladin.
And they ask "What is a Hero?"
though the answer's evident,
He's the one who faces death
knowing that his life's well spent.
— Quest for Glory II: Trial By Fire

eru001
2016-12-16, 11:50 AM
This mission will be deadly and dangerous but may determine the outcome of the war. We will be flying at treetop height and jumping at dangerously low altitude in order to avoid enemy detection. A ten percent survival rate is expected. Volunteers step forwards. (Notices that only three men have done so) ... Parachutes will be issued. (the rest step forwards).

-Anonymous Airborne officer in WWII.

8BitNinja
2016-12-16, 07:49 PM
This mission will be deadly and dangerous but may determine the outcome of the war. We will be flying at treetop height and jumping at dangerously low altitude in order to avoid enemy detection. A ten percent survival rate is expected. Volunteers step forwards. (Notices that only three men have done so) ... Parachutes will be issued. (the rest step forwards).

-Airborne officer in WWII.

This is good for any character who is a leader

Ninja_Grand
2016-12-18, 08:30 PM
League of Legends is a good source.

"Hostility works if courtesy fails."
"Precision is the difference between a butcher and a surgeon." -Camille, a secret agent with swords for legs

"A turned back deserves a knife."
"A scared man is a loyal man."
"It's sweeter when it's stolen."- Gankplank- Pirate, clear and simple.

"Cut the courage from them."
"Violence is elegance."
"Fight and be remembered as a hero, or die and be remembered as a coward."
"Even those who have nothing can give their lives."-Aatrox, War incarnate "edgelord"

"I am justified, and I am armed!"
"I'll say something witty after I kill you!"
"A man without a weapon ain't worth listening to."
And the best one by far "Yes, a sane man would run, but I ain't the running kind!"
Kled- Small furry insane creature riding a lizard

HalfTangible
2016-12-18, 11:55 PM
Everything Kled says is brilliant.

"Them city folk clothes is gettin' ridiculous"
"Sklllr?"
"Yeah, I'll try it on later..." -Kled again, this time with his pet lizard Skarl

Some more League of Legends quotes

"Good men die. I chose to live."
"I'm everywhere."
"I used to live by a code."
-Teemo (Omega Squad skin - Teemo vanilla is basically this cute furry scout who's very kind and friendly, until he starts a mission [usually solo] and becomes the most ruthless killer in all of Bandle City. Omega squad is an alternate universe version of Teemo who got trapped behind enemy lines for so long that it broke his mind.)

"Please allow my cannon and I to conflict resolve."
"War stories don't write themselves."
"Sometimes outnumbered, never outgunned."
"A Bandle Gunner never turns tail. Unless it's to taunt you."
"Some people like backup plans. I like 'charge in' plans!"
-Tristana (Another Yordle; this one loves explosions and is crazy enough to use her cannon to jump.)

"Ah, a snowglobe! Perfect for my collec- to destroy you. Destroy you!"
"You aspire to be human? Oh, darling, there are so many other variants on mediocrity!"
(to a high priest) "I've seen the main act. You're only a third-rate cover band."
"The heavens drag on endlessly... much like a conversation with you."
"Galaxies exist by my will - but, yes, that is certainly an impressive sword."
"You are going to punch a star dragon. Good luck with that."
"A sun is unimaginable celestial power - and thrilled mortals use theirs to coordinate this 'lunch time'."
"I make entropy look good."
"It's not a comeback if one was never truly gone."
"Stars never fall."
-Aurelion Sol (Basically God, if God was also a sassy bastard who wanted half the galaxy to burn. He's got like 30 minutes of lines and almost all of them are disses towards other characters. It's great.)

"Girl, you're as modest as a freshly-paid courtesan."
"Call me king, call me demon - water forgets the names of the drowned."
"Misery has a delectable taste."
"Brother, you're as cultured as a crematorium selling barbecue."
"Idiocy is often mistaken for innocence."
"You're strong like bull, and smart like cow."
"You're as subtle as a gold codpiece."
"At least the rumor of your vanity isn't overrated."
"Your conversation makes as much sense as a fish in lingerie!"
"You're like a roofless mansion - impressively useless."
-Tahm Kench (Faustian temptation spirit, with an emphasis on gluttony and desire. This guy is also full of hilarious comebacks to so many champs)

"Every step is one step closer!" -Poppy (keeper of a magic hammer, searching for its true wielder. It's actually Poppy, but she doesn't know that and is too humble to consider it)

"Fear not, I'm coming."
"This world needs hope."
"Fear is the first of many foes."
"Keep faith in yourself."
"Be bold; be just!"
"Come forth, you will find honor in death."
"No matter your numbers, I will not yield." -Garen (Imagine a paladin, but without the magic.)

"It is my burden to carry an eye of god. It is my privilege to see the truth."
"If I hate something, I destroy it. If I want something, I take it."
"It is terrible to be satisfied. The world needs us to chase dreams."
"This ends one of two ways - they run, or I break them."
"Life is too short for fear."
-Illaoi (that high priestess from earlier. Her religion is centered around motion and a giant kraken, and she carries around this bronze head-lookin thing that lets her summon tentacles and s#@$. Presumably that's the eye.)

Shinn
2016-12-19, 08:29 PM
"To alcohol ! The cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems !"
Pretty much any Dwarf or Murderhobo.

"Oh, look at me! I'm making people happy! I'm the Magical Man, from Happy Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Laaaaaaaaaaaane !"
A Blackguard talking about his/her old Paladin pals.

"Don't worry. Being eaten by a crocodile is just like going to sleep... in a giant blender."
Warforged Ranger, with Animals as favored foe.

Both of them from Homer Simpson.

8BitNinja
2016-12-20, 12:45 AM
"To alcohol ! The cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems !"
Pretty much any Dwarf or Murderhobo.

So, any adventurer?

Klara Meison
2016-12-20, 04:58 AM
All come from The Practical Guide To Evil (https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/)

“You’ve been very careful to toe the line of the law,” The Black Knight said. “It seems you believe this affords you a degree of protection.”

His eyes turned cold.

“I am a villain, child,” he hissed. “The appearance of the rule of law is useful to me, so I have allowed it. Do not mistake this for true fettering. Should you ever inconvenience me again, I will Speak three words and you will slit your own throat.”

Can’t make an omelette without burning a few armies, sacking the villages they came from and salting the land that spawned them.

Whoever had said lightning never struck the same place twice obviously had little experience with mages.

Did you really think I wouldn’t cheat just because I was already winning?

Home is wherever you can order someone drowned and not get any odd looks.

“I’m honestly not sure what’s more screwed up about this,” I mused. “That the Empire has a designated form for killing off bureaucrats, or that they expect me to fill it in triplicate.”

“Two bells,” “I leave you alone for two bells and you get into a fistfight with a giant devil snake.”

“In my defence,” “It started it.”

kopout
2016-12-20, 02:55 PM
Have mercy/or you don't have nothing at all
- Have Mercy Jason Gallagher

Probably good for a paladin or any good character who believes in redemption.

eru001
2016-12-21, 01:34 PM
(tosses sword to enemy) There, i've given you your life. It is yours now to defend. You and my friend now have buisness. I am done here.
-A paladin not above using exact words to bring down an evildoer.

Cluedrew
2016-12-21, 05:08 PM
-Footloose

Take a drunk person, this character is the opposite of that.-Footloose

Sometimes you cross into the land of adventure... and just wish you could go back. A reluctant but accepting adventurer.-Footloose

An insane pyromaniac. Very insane. I mean you can feel the insanity dripping off of every word. At least that is what the capitalization seems to mean to me.-Luke Cage

Because science everyone. I get the feel this is a more restrained sort of mad scientist.-I Just Work Here

The fool who is wise in their own foolishness as the best fools are.

By the way, that's a fancy way of saying they are acting the fool.-Hero Oh Hero

Combat focused bard. Also vain.

Inspector Valin
2016-12-26, 04:09 PM
Taking a crack at this

I just fear that if Doc tried to kiss Andante, she'd bite him in the face! :o

Given the choice between the two of you... I'd choose the lovesick crocodile!

That most dudebro of monks: Real Man Xiao

And you need to say this with a nicely menacing tone. :belkar: *cough*

"Everything you know is wrong
Black is white, up is down, and short is long
And everything that you thought
was just so important doesn't matter."

DoomHat
2016-12-26, 06:29 PM
I'm going to have to find a way to play this in whatever campaign I'm next in...

"Send me the best you got, send me your strongest machine, the fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me!! Is this the best you got!?! Is this your strongest machine!?! Now, with one power shot, you'll see, What Vengeance Means!!!"
-excerpt from 'Vengeance' by The Protomen

Cluedrew
2016-12-26, 07:51 PM
-Atomic Robo

This happens after you uncover a half dozen global conspiracies. This sometimes happens when a series/campaign goes on too long, but it seems to work better as premise.There are plenty of reasons why one might avoid fighting. An inability to win those fights does not seem to be the reason here. In many systems it would be a challenge to keep the fight total that low... if you could pull it off I wonder if the character would be better for it.An adventurer that takes few risks and assumes the worst. Makes me think of the old "10 foot pole" days (which is better than a 9 1/2 foot pole).-Widdershins

Some one who can get excited past the point of self preservation. Hopefully it kicks back in when danger is closer.-Twokinds

A fearsome and completely undeserved reputation. Not a lot of characters I see even have reputations, and those that do usually have earned it. So why not try one that hasn't.
Also I have one I would like to pitch to the thread. I feel there is a character here but I haven't figured it out yet.
If God did not exist, he would have been invented.

eru001
2016-12-26, 08:12 PM
hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.

-Han Solo

Lord Raziere
2016-12-26, 10:11 PM
hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.

-Han Solo

"Tell that to the guy piloting the mecha made of stone made in worship to a god no one believes in anymore."- A Hypothetical Snarky Response

CrazyPenguin
2016-12-29, 03:31 PM
All come from The Practical Guide To Evil (https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/)

I thank you for introducing me to this wonderful thing, and present a quote from it:

If he ever met politeness in a dark alley he’d knife it and rob the corpse.

Cluedrew
2017-01-13, 10:11 PM
-Atomic Robo

They are taking risks, but at the same time they are entirely aware that they are. It might be a moment of desperation, someone who has nothing to lose... or it could be someone who is not taking their character's life seriously. I would avoid the latter.-Voltaire

Someone religious as they have god existing as a straight fact. But also inventive and in a way undeniably confident in the ability of human beings. Those things don't actually run against each other, but still not a common combination.One named Eugene who turns into a tree... apparently without a lot of reason to do so. Plant based magic? Shape-shifter? But why the sudden transformation into a tree?-El Goonish Shive

A noble soul, but one who is not entirely confident in their efforts and second guess themselves. I see some room to grow as they find their way.Someone asked the old master a question.I feel this sums up a professional and polite killer. Just from the sound of this, I would not be surprised is the speaker just tried to kill or is just about to try and kill who they are speaking to.

daniel_ream
2017-01-20, 04:56 AM
Fictional history is always better than real fantasy.

I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be king, alive, and 50 all at once.

Of course he's got a knife! We've all got knives! It's 1183, and we're barbarians!

Why, I, in this weak piping time of peace,
Have no delight to pass away the time,
Unless to spy my shadow in the sun
And descant on mine own deformity:
And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover,
To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
I am determined to prove a villain

Believe me, eternity in the company of Beelzebub and all his hellish instruments of death will be a picnic compared to five minutes with me and this pencil[.]

ShadowFighter15
2017-01-30, 03:16 AM
"I don't believe in removing evil from this world. It's far more fulfilling to make a mockery of the villains who embody it."
Lǐn Xuě Yā, Thunderbolt Fantasy

DCraw
2017-01-30, 05:21 AM
1 Young knight learn
 To have love for God, honor the women,
2 So waxes your honor.
 Practice Knighthood, and learn
3 Art that adorns you,
 And in wars brings honor.
4 Wrestle well, grappler.
 Glaive, spear, sword, and knife,
5 Manfully handle,
 And in others’ hands ruin.
6 Hew therein, and swift there.
 Rush in, hit or let drive.
7 Those in the knowing
 Praise he who does this.
8 Thereon you grasp,
 All Art has length and measure.

- Johannes Liechtenauer

vasilidor
2017-01-30, 10:39 PM
a few for morally questionable to straight up villain type characters.

more explosives is always the correct answer.
snikt.
on a scale of skeletor to vlad the impaler, I try to be around al capone.
this bards main goal in life is to out do atilla the hun in terms of bed partners.
don't be a sad face, here, let me give you a smile.

Cluedrew
2017-02-13, 09:06 AM
According to my math... tomorrow would have made this thread necromancy. This thread doesn't get the action it used to.

-Atomic Robo

Because why wait for a new threat when you can create one out of an existing player on the world stage. A proactive character who disrupts the status quo and annoys those who benefit from it.Someone who wants to be a hero, but actually has no one to save. Maybe they live in a too peaceful world (unlikely) or there is another hero who could do the job (not recommended) or the one they want to save can save them selves (also tricky).Motivated by the more general 'I love humanity'. A paladin's sort of motivation, help people because they are people, no other reason is required.-Breath of Fire IV

Blind oracle, they look at different things than we do. Maybe more important things than one's face. Luckily for you... They paid a lot."']-Erf World

Power for hire. Lots and lots of power for hire.

WhovianBeast
2017-02-14, 10:06 AM
"I am not made of steel. Rage. I... am made... of RAGE!!!"
-Colossus, (Joss Whedon)

Warforged Barbarian. 'Nuff said.

Klara Meison
2017-02-14, 12:09 PM
Fortunately, he was a mage. He had a way of eating his cake and having it too - Mother of Learning

cildan
2017-02-14, 12:21 PM
Its not the craziest thing I've asked you to do, hey its not even the craziest thing I've asked you to do today.

Harry Dresden to Murphy

solidork
2017-02-14, 01:40 PM
The webcomic A Softer World (http://www.asofterworld.com/) is a goldmine for this.

We can give you a new body, a new voice. You'll miss your parents, and the sun, but you could sing.

Operator, put God on. Yes, I'll hold.
God? You're next.

Death is coming and we've been making charts, wasting time. I am a bat**** genius scientist prophet goddess and I will be free. And I guess this message is to let you know I won't be in tomorrow.

I like my witches like I like my books. Properly respected for their cultural importance.

An easy alternative to meditation is just letting yourself not care for a few hours.

Such trivialities do not even register to me. I am a being of pure reason. Love would only slow me down.

Imagine how trapped you would feel if you were living the life you should.

Your touch brings me to life. Not like Frankenstein, like HAL.

Do not be ashamed of your secrets. I can't imagine a lion who thinks starving is better than someone watching them kill.

Had a job predicting the future. Got fired for crying.

When you're near, the creatures inside me go still and quiet and watch you from behind my eyes.

There are just two things that make life worth living. The people you love, and sweet pranks.

I don't want a world without pain or loss. I just want them to mean something.

8BitNinja
2017-02-14, 07:39 PM
"I've been around longer than you have, kid. And I've seen my share of troubles. You're not the only one who knows what it's like to lose somebody. It looks like neither of us has led a charming life, have we? Still, it's not that bad. At least you and I have been lucky enough to find new comrades to help fill the void."

-Kakashi, Naruto

A good one for a veteran adventurer or just someone who has seen things that they would love to unsee.

Cluedrew
2017-02-16, 09:09 AM
Operator, put God on. Yes, I'll hold.That's pretty funny on its own. Although you might need the second part for a character concept.

-Ernesto Sirolli

Sometimes inaction is harder than action. Sometimes it is also more effective. A zen-type monk.-Earthsong Saga

An unpopular hero, saving people who don't want to be saved or from themselves. Or maybe that is just the justification, maybe they aren't quite the hero they tell themselves they are.-Batman

This seems to sum up the edger versions of Batman, a hero, but one made of terror.

Challenge, anyone got a quote for the non-edge version of Batman, best I got is "Because I'm Batman."-Erf World

One who appears in closets, OK a little bit more generally, one who does things people aren't expecting, if only for comedic value. The other sort of unexpected is either stupidity or brilliance, maybe there is some overlap here?The long suffering individual who has to clean up the messes everyone else leaves.

solidork
2017-02-16, 11:22 AM
More ASW.

So now you're telling me what I can and can't train my chickens to do? What the ****, officer?

If our love lasts forever, it's gonna get real awkward when one of us dies.

I am going to break your arm so that the bone juts out, and then I will stab you to death with your own insides. I will win this chess game, is what I'm saying.

Sure, confiscate my grappling hook. Arrest me if you have to. At least I know I tried.

You aren't really a good person but, god damn, you make bad look awesome.

Could you recommend a good book about raising your kids to not sex-murder people? I don't want to make the same mistakes my parents did.

I think I've got fireflies where my caution should be. (Instead of slowing down, I just shine brighter)

When I look at you, I can't help but think "Hell must be missing an angel."

In a dark, dark wood, there was a dark, dark house. And in that dark, dark house, I think we should get drunk and fool around.

If I could go back in time and give myself one piece of advice, it would be this: "Take your shirt off, and turn around. Mmmm."

I spent my childhood believing I was destined to be a hero in some far off magic kingdom. It was too late when I realized I was needed here.

You get this look in your eyes sometimes, like you've just realized I'm edible.

Do you ever get the feeling that God has a plan? And you're the only one who can stop it?

Everybody dies. Ever single person. So, style counts.

I would sell my soul for a soul worth keeping.

Okay okay, calm down. Lets settle this like men. Oil me up.

Miltonian
2017-02-17, 10:56 AM
"He's the most dangerous type of man in the whole city: a philosopher."

solidork
2017-02-26, 09:31 AM
"While You Were Being Heterosexual, I Studied The Blade"

HalfTangible
2017-02-26, 02:22 PM
"That's the way God works. He'll tell you how you'll be punished if you disobey, you'll disobey, and at first nothing will happen. But in time, punishment always comes. Justice does not come swiftly, but it does come, it shall come, and it must come."

Klara Meison
2017-02-26, 04:18 PM
From Harry Potter and Methods of Rationality (hpmor.com), slightly edited to avoid unnecessary spoilers:

"So now I've got to find some way to kill an immortal Dark Wizard," he said, and sighed in frustration. "I really wish you had told me that before I started shopping."

"There is no justice in the laws of Nature, mister, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky. But they don't have to! We care! There is light in the world, and it is us! "

I'm not a psychopath, I'm just very creative.

If I am not too young for moral judgment, then neither are they. No, mister, they didn't deserve to die. But they did deserve to be stripped naked and glued to the ceiling.

Vknight
2017-02-27, 05:36 AM
A few more for various character ideas

"I mean yes you could kill me. Right here, and right now even but then I'm dead and your no closer to completing your goals."

"I trust you. Well I trust you in the some capacity."

"Hey you said I needed to record there code its not my fault you can't read wingdings."

To foes in a more intimidating negotiation
"I am here to tell you how bad the situation is. And if I am doing that your better off surrendering or trying to kill me now"

"Go on make your grandiose claim I'll win this through my own tenacity, cunning not some grand super power."

"The technical term is harem. And I have no idea I accomplished this."

eru001
2017-03-02, 10:32 AM
He stepped into the room, and the nobles fell silent. Where their finery screamed "I am a man of wealth", his plain yet finely taylored clothing was calm but firm in it's assertion "I am a man of taste". Unlike theirs, his sword was hilted niether with gold nor silver, but polished steel. It's blade was honed by he himself that morning to a perfect edge, as it was every morning. No gems adorned the pommel, but the weapon's balance sat at the perfect spot, just barely forwards of the guard. The toys at the hips of his guests with all their sparkle, practically screamed "We are boys, playing at war". Well maintained weapon at his, quietly asserted, "I kill Men". There was a reason after all, that he was king, and they were mere nobility.

8BitNinja
2017-03-02, 09:49 PM
"While You Were Being Heterosexual, I Studied The Blade"

-A Fighter talking to the Barbarian, readying himself for battle. [3.5e, Colorized]

Cluedrew
2017-03-03, 09:48 AM
-Earthsong Saga

How about the weakest of the bunch? Sure they may not be as strong, but the simple fact they have lasted shows they know how to get along without the raw strength.-Erf World

A under-motivated student tasked with saving the world.-Erf World

Someone who isn't doing it to have fun, but tries to some fun on the side.-El Goonish Shive

Evil cultist villain, with mind control.
P.S. Religious tolerance is not supposed to work like that.
P.P.S. Of course cults don't actually have to be evil, but why break the pattern?

8BitNinja
2017-03-03, 06:33 PM
"In the Ninja World, those who break the rules are scum, that's true...but those who abandon their friends are worse than scum!"
-Kakashi, Naruto

Cluedrew
2017-03-03, 07:03 PM
Any unyielding hero, world rather fail trying to accomplish their dreams/defending their convictionsSomeone of no great strength, but exceptional humor.Rushwell's Hovel. And I am totally going with symmetry between that phrase and happy place. So someone who can have far to much fun doing something that makes them scary.Exudes confidence and perhaps a little bit of arrogance. I enjoy that it is mixed into other comments.
To 8BitNinja: I heard a different version that I liked slightly better, something like: "In this world, those that break the rules are lower than scum, but those who won't break the rules to save their friends are even lower than that."

Fluffyechidna
2017-03-05, 01:58 AM
Lotta Gentleman Bastard quotes incoming. Good for thieves or chaotic characters.

"When you don't know everything, it's a fine time to shut your f*cking noisemaker and be polite"- Father Chains, The Lies of Locke Lamora.

"There's a few things I want to ask him. Philosophical questions. Like, "How does it feel to be dangled out a window by a rope tied around your balls, motherf*cker?""- The Lies of Locke Lamora.

"I don't need to be reminded that we're up to our heads in dark water. I just want you boys to remember that we're the gods-damned sharks."- See above.

Belac93
2017-03-05, 04:25 AM
Love the Locke Lamora books. I think these were my favourites:

"Someday, Locke Lamora,” he said, “someday, you're going to f*** up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will s*** comets with glee."

“I've got kids that enjoy stealing. I've got kids that don't think about stealing one way or the other, and I've got kids that just tolerate stealing because they know they've got nothing else to do. But nobody--and I mean nobody--has ever been hungry for it like this boy. If he had a bloody gash across his throat and a physiker was trying to sew it up, Lamora would steal the needle and thread and die laughing. He...steals too much.”

CrazyPenguin
2017-03-08, 09:15 PM
"Well, I got to thinking about what peace really means, and how it can be achieved. SO I laid out an eleven-step plan to obliterate all sentient life on the moral, divine, and infernal planes. I got an academic award... and a notice from Tellwyrn that I've been added to some kind of Imperial watch list. Neat!" - Ruda , The Gods are Bastards (https://tiraas.wordpress.com/).

Honestly, The Gods are Bastards is probably full of quotes that would be great for this thread, I'm just to lazy to go and find them.

D.KnightSpider
2017-03-11, 07:18 PM
Someday, my luck's going to run out. I'm going to end up dead in a ditch or bleeding out on some forsaken battlefield. But, unfortunately for you, that day is not today.

Inspector Valin
2017-03-12, 10:48 AM
*sung* "I think there is a god.
I think he hates his jo-ob"

Lord Raziere
2017-03-12, 12:42 PM
"I'm a pragmatist, but I love it when I can do things in style. I'm probably a monster, but I love the times I can be a hero. I'll do the necessary evils, but man am I waiting for those days when I do those necessary goods. I'll kill the villain, but when I find one that can be redeemed I'll redeem the hell out of him, literally if I have to. I'm many things, a survivor, a veteran, experienced, a killer....but what I want to be most is a savior. The world is more complex than heroes and villains, but even if I am the latter, doesn't mean I'll stop trying to be the former."

Cluedrew
2017-03-12, 09:15 PM
Casually world breaking, with a hint of absent mindedness. Suitable for high level games or plot-device NPCs.This reminds me of a joke we made, that the son of Kratos had a scar because of genetics. But you know some characters just don't seem complete without a scar. The tough as nails ones usually.... That is a surprisingly considerate kidnapper. Almost sounds like a caretaker. A redeeming trait on a villain? A misunderstood hero?Redeeming yourself is one thing, but proving that to other people can be hard. Sort of a racial metaphor, although it could mean a variety of things, including itself.Do I have to explain? Well I got a ridiculously powerful mundane warrior who has fun with their work out of that.I'm also going to throw in a link to a tread with some songs you could build a character off of (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?516016-D-amp-D-Class-Theme-Songs). I find them to not be as a good base, but many are good listening.

eru001
2017-03-12, 10:37 PM
This is a two ton steel cylinder. When launched it travels at 1.5% the speed of light. I don't care that the aliens are godlike. It WILL make an ungodly mess of them.

HalfTangible
2017-03-13, 06:46 PM
"You can't deny your fate. I'm already here."

D.KnightSpider
2017-03-14, 07:41 AM
Killing you won't bring my childhood back. I understand that. But if it means sparing another child my pain, then I will gladly melt the fur right off your face.

vasilidor
2017-03-15, 10:07 PM
Psycho: you have a face! lets see how many punches it takes for it to stop resembling one!

as he rode his motorcycle down the throat of the huge dragon revving his chainsaw, he thought to himself: is today wednesday, it feels like one.

Cluedrew
2017-03-19, 03:23 PM
Honestly, The Gods are Bastards is probably full of quotes that would be great for this thread, I'm just to lazy to go and find them.Yes it is, in fact... well I had to skip my usual quote by quote analysis. I'm just starting book 6 now."Very little in this world is fair, Ms. Avelea," he replied. For the first time, the cheer had fled his face, leaving a sober and faraway expression. "May you have better luck than I’ve had finding remedies for it."

"Sir, I believe I have spoken to you about throwing logic around when I’m being melodramatic."

"'Normal,' Mr. Arquin, is a word you will find has little bearing on this campus and none whatsoever on your history professor."

"Butts in seats; we’re here to learn. Anybody who wants to hear me wax poetical about how awesome I am, my office hours are clearly posted."

"I wish you could have seen those big puppy eyes he does so well. I’d show you, but I can’t really pull it off. I’m told it makes me look homicidally insane."

"For future reference, Miss Punaji, if you must pick a fight with a Sister of Avei, go for one of the older ones. They’ve been training long enough to neutralize you harmlessly."

"What the gods do and do not know is a matter best not speculated on. Of course," he admitted with a grin, "we do anyway."

A dead silence fell, the three of them staring at him. The Bishop spread his arms in a gesture of benediction, smiling beatifically. "No one is born a priest, gentlemen."

"As I said, the Guild doesn’t kill lightly. Ideally, not ever, but we’re not exactly idealists here."

"I’ll try anything twice. You know, cos nobody ever does something right the first time."

"The world is perfect. It’s exactly what it was meant to be, whatever that is. If it seems wrong…maybe you’re expecting something from it that it was never designed to give."

"Admestus, what are you drinking?"
"Corn syrup! We got the most marvelous fresh elven corn from the Sea, and I do hate to waste good reagents."
Yornhaldt shook his head and sighed.
"What in the world is wrong with you?" Tellwyrn demanded.
"Corn syrup deficiency! Don’t worry, I've got it under control.'

"Professor," Sanders said in the tone of a man clinging to his calm by sheer bloody stubbornness, "what, exactly, would you estimate are the odds of the Mother of Demons showing up in my town in the near future?"

"Oh, that? Wasn’t my idea. Some asshat assassin or thief or something broke into my father’s fortress, and just happened to come in through my window. Punaji kids sleep with knives under their pillows. ****er got blood on my teddy bear." She scowled. "I'm still pissed about that."

"It's not for us to decide what a life is worth, [we] have to be better"

"I like the world. It’s where I keep most of my stuff."

"Persistence pays off," Shaeine said serenely. "In a mere ten years we have worn down virtually all the forest tribes from attacking us on sight to permitting our emissaries to approach. They still refuse to conduct any official correspondence,"

"She’s right. She usually is; it’s infuriating."

"Gentlemen," said the Kid. "Draw."

"What is ice cream?" "Somethin’ I’m gonna import to Tiraas and become richer than Verniselle,"

"You are the living incarnation of the term 'pain in the ass.' "

"You wouldn’t believe me if I told you." "Yes, I expected that much. You’ll note that I asked you anyway."

"But you could have anything. Infinite money. Weapons. Magical artifacts, basically unlimited power if you used that box right. And… You keep your candy stash in it."

"Stylish? Stylish? You are the only person in this century who wears a cloak!" "Well, yeah! What did you think ‘stylish’ meant?"

"How do you always know?" "Sir, it’s me, Price," she said, deadpan.

"I would never take advantage of a lady caught in an uncomfortable situation." "Bucko, I think what’s at issue here is the lady will take advantage of you." "Yes." He nodded emphatically. "And I am perfectly okay with that."

5-11
Toman Panissar liked things simple, and in this he was usually thwarted.

"Splendid. There’ll be no end of paperwork if I disembowel him in public."

To his very great credit, Bishop Darling was attending to the Colonel’s recitation of his service in the Stalnar Rebellion without glazing over or nodding off.

"I’m so glad when we get to talk outside of work," Panissar grumbled. "I'm mostly spared your sense of humor at council meetings."

"I’m sorry, miss, I don’t know the formal customs of your people." "We don’t really have any,"

"Your Highness, I do everything shamelessly,"

"I’m sorry, but… You just called Toman Panissar a bureaucrat. If you knew the man at all, General, you’d realize just what a grand joke that is."

"I think he will treat us respectfully. I am not, however, comfortable broadly describing the man as trustworthy."

"I understand you like to throw a lot of frivolous parties."
"Why, yes I do!" Vandro said, beaming. "Some of the best and most frivolous people in the province put in appearances at my little shindigs,"

"Why am I always the one who gets hurt?! This is getting ridiculous! I’m supposed to be invulnerable, but noooo. Everybody has to take their turn finding a loophole."

"Politics. If anything, it makes the Empire look bad that I was placed in danger because of misbehaving Imperial troops. So I have to have brunch at the Palace."

"Believe me, I campaigned to be called Glittergiggles Weaver, but for some reason they stuck me with Gravestone. Go figure."

"...significantly boosted its operational range and spell penetration by way of amping up the power source to ridiculous, even dangerous levels!"

"You were asking me why I became an educator?" Tellwyrn said, turning to Zanzayed. "It's because the world is full of morons."

"Go on, you can say it. An 'I told you so' here and there isn’t a violation of your contract." "That will not be necessary, sir, as you clearly recall that I did."

"You shoulda seen their faces when we all popped in," Billie said, grinning. "Someday I wanna do that again when I don't have a partner bleeding to death on the floor so I can properly enjoy it."

"I don’t must, strictly speaking. It’s mostly just for my amusement."

"I love killing assassins. They appreciate the irony so much better than average shmoes."

Trouble didn’t tend to stick to Gabriel long enough to get serious, but it still fell his way even more often than he deserved. Which was saying something.

"Yes," Ampophrenon noted, raising an eyebrow, "remarkable the effect a few thousand years of determined frivolity can have on one's reputation."

"Three reasons," Professor Tellwyrn said brightly. "It’s the most efficient way to get around, it serves the purpose of protecting the surprise, and your suffering amuses me. Note, Arquin, that that was not a plural 'your.' Nobody else suffers with quite the distinctive self-pity you have. It’s inspiring, really." "I hate you." "I don't care,"

"She doesn’t mind being yelled at, cursed at or even threatened—convenient, as she has a tendency to inspire those responses in people."

"Why is it," Gabriel asked after a moment’s silence, "that wherever we go, we end up in some kind of bar?"

eru001
2017-03-21, 05:36 PM
"Take Me to the brig, I want to meet the real marines"
-Chesty Puller.

"Son when the Corps wants you to have a wife, You will be issued one"
-Chesty Puller.

the OOD
2017-03-22, 02:26 PM
"I'm a pragmatist, but I love it when I can do things in style. I'm probably a monster, but I love the times I can be a hero. I'll do the necessary evils, but man am I waiting for those days when I do those necessary goods. I'll kill the villain, but when I find one that can be redeemed I'll redeem the hell out of him, literally if I have to. I'm many things, a survivor, a veteran, experienced, a killer....but what I want to be most is a savior. The world is more complex than heroes and villains, but even if I am the latter, doesn't mean I'll stop trying to be the former."

what is this from?

HalfTangible
2017-03-22, 03:26 PM
"Striving for the impossible does not mean struggling in vain."

Lord Raziere
2017-03-22, 03:28 PM
what is this from?

Nothing, I just come up with it. What? quotes doesn't mean it has to come from something that exists and I like to spice things up with things that could be quotes to build around anyways.

eru001
2017-03-22, 09:34 PM
What need have I of silver with sweet Yfandis here?
When All the gold I cherish Is sunlight bright and clear?
The only Jewel I treasure's a bright and shining star,
and I'll protect all helpless not just those of Valdemar
For beauty held in bondage is beauty that is lost
and land and title bloodbought comes too high at the cost
the power I have already, and power tis a jade
So turn you back Lord Nedran if of me you are afraid

- From the song Demonsbane, Heather Alexander.

the OOD
2017-03-23, 01:08 PM
Nothing, I just come up with it. What? quotes doesn't mean it has to come from something that exists and I like to spice things up with things that could be quotes to build around anyways.

no complaints, it was interesting enough that I wanted to read whatever source it came from.

Cluedrew
2017-03-25, 04:12 PM
Someone who managed to make all the right correct gambles, despite knowing that they are extremely risky and perhaps even foolish. Smart enough to work there way out of a bad situation, maybe not smart enough to avoid getting into it. And lucky if you can encode that in whatever system your using.-Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

Not a very good assassin, I'll tell you that much. Seems a little too friendly. Alternatively an assassin that is good enough that they can be friendly and state that they are an assassin.-Panthera

A very deadpan doctor, perhaps to the point of apathy.A hopeful or romantic character who has been through a lot of bad stuff.

And a bonus challenge, see what you can do with:

Your wearing a gray shirt. Everything about that is wrong.

Simetra Irertne
2017-04-03, 08:49 AM
"I would like to buy fifty thousand chickens."
*later, when an enemy is supposed to deal damage*
"I block it with a chicken"

eru001
2017-04-04, 06:48 PM
I am not a good man. Do not follow my example. I kill. I lie. I steal. I cheat. I have no honor. I am a monster in both the literal and figurative sense. I am bound to things which man ought not bind himself to, and have sworn conflicting oaths to multiple dieties. I have done all of this for power. Not in a pollitical sense but in a literal one. Demons have fled from me, I have felled a Colossus of the Void in single combat, and I have recently purchased a beer. It sits on the bar behind you, the small town ruffian, who dares to stand in front of me. Several things are about to happen. You will return the child you are holding to the floor, gently. You will apologise. You will leave. In your haste you will forget your purse, it's contents will become this child's. Then I will drink my beer. Do. No. Persuade. Me. To. Come. Up. With. An. Alternative. It would be less pleasent.

HalfTangible
2017-04-04, 07:25 PM
"When I feel sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Rakan

Cluedrew
2017-04-05, 08:08 AM
To eru001: I was not expecting the quote to end like that. I'm glad it did.

To HalfTangible: I saw a version of that quote on a demotivational poster one. It had a fighter jet on it.

-Unsounded

You have a problem? Solve it with violence. You solved a problem? Use violence to make sure it stays solved. You don't have a problem? Use violence to improve the situation. This is almost getting into cartoon evil here, but a evil ruler might make it work.-Soul Bound

I wonder it the second line was delivered defensively, so they feel out of place; accusatorily, yes you racist; or confused, why wouldn't my skin be green. You can get different characters out of each.

You can also get a character out of the first line, but really only someone who has not met someone with green skin before.-Kind of Confidential

Well, someone who is being trained to steal things by a sibling. But also far too naive about it. Maybe they just don't quite understand the line, having grown up around it.-Proverb

A gentle wise man (as in of mankind) who sails the seas and often travels at night.Considering the smashing the window was the expectation, there seems to be some kind of crazy here. But it seems to be a kind of restrained crazy. Or perhaps directed, a method to the madness.

DuctTapeKatar
2017-04-05, 08:32 AM
Where ever I may roam. Where I lay my head is home. Carved upon my stone: "My body lies, yet still I roam." ~Metallica

I'm not sure if songs are to be counted, but... Undead ranger for the win!

solidork
2017-04-05, 09:10 AM
"Half gods are worshiped in wine and flowers. Real gods require blood.”
- Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God

8BitNinja
2017-04-05, 07:17 PM
It's been a while, so...

"I have resolved never to start an unjust war but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies"- King Charles XIII of Sweden

A good one for a paladin or good aligned fighter.

eru001
2017-04-06, 10:31 AM
it is moraly wrong to start a fight. It is also moraly wrong to lose one. Never be the man to throw the first punch, but be certain to break the other man's jaw with the second.

Simetra Irertne
2017-04-06, 11:39 AM
Always be last to draw and last to strike.

solidork
2017-04-06, 12:26 PM
“All witches are selfish, the Queen had said. But Tiffany’s Third Thoughts said: Then turn selfishness into a weapon! Make all things yours! Make other lives and dreams and hopes yours! Protect them! Save them! Bring them into the sheepfold! Walk the gale for them! Keep away the wolf! My dreams! My brother! My family! My land! My world! How dare you try to take these things, because they are mine!

I have a duty!”

― Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

Cluedrew
2017-04-08, 07:29 PM
Let me get this straight. You think that your client, one of the wealthiest and most powerful men in the world is a secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands, and your plan is to blackmail this person? Good luck.I just thought it summed up the ridiculousness of Batman.

But it almost always seems to be false innocence. I don't know if you could pull off an actual innocent character in your average adventure (even if it is not a monster slaying adventure... bad things tend to happen). So it might have to be a false innocence, maybe you could pull it off with an innocent outlook, even after the trials of the adventure.For some reason I feel the speaker is offering to make some sacrifice, at least reputation wise. However they are already a villain, at least reputation wise. But the others aren't, so we have a villain among heroes. Maybe the speaker is misunderstood, maybe they where a villain and are going straight, but might not get a chance to prove that to the world.Forget cursing your family for a dozen generations, you know you have incurred the wrath of god when divine proclamations come with swear words. Might be relegated to NPCs.A dedicated priest (or some other religious figure) who means well, but didn't quite do what they were supposed too, actually might have done the opposite.

Also, the god in question is the same one as in the last quote.-Heretical Edge

An unarmed fighter who is capable of disarming their opponents and using their weapons. Personality wise they seem to have a dramatic flare and a kind of eloquence, this line is a bit more than "come at me bro" and has a sort of flow to it. Also seems to enjoy fighting if the great enthusiasm part is to be believed.

Cluedrew
2017-04-27, 07:12 AM
Well, if no one else is going to post I will again.
-Heretical Edge

The answer actually was the metal sword wasn't finished. Still we all have our own ways of dealing with stress, some of them more unusual than others.I'm not entirely sure how adding kung fu to Santa Claus would change his concept (I can't see the jolly old elf doing anything beyond self-defence with it). But perhaps a Santa Claus-like kung fu master, kind and generous, maybe makes things as part of his meditation and gives presents out to children nearby.-El Goonish Shive: Newspaper

When you have spent to much time defending the world that you can't even have a conversation without making people uncomfortable about all the looming threats. A very experienced character.My suggesting, build a character as if they are a generous, by the numbers if you will, and then play them as stupid as possible. They might not be able to find the library, but they know almost as much as you can find in the books there.

Or you can go for the more classic mad scientist/absent minded professor approach, which is still valid.

eru001
2017-04-27, 02:32 PM
Some Quotes from a classic source

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.
-Han Solo, A New Hope

There is no try. Do Or Do Not.
-Yoda Empire Strikes Back

One day you're going to be wrong, I just hope I live to see it
-Lea Organa/Skywalker Empire Strikes Back

We'll last longer against that fleet than that Death Star.
-Lando Calrissian Return of the Jedi

All we have is hope. That's ok. Rebellions are built on hope.
-Jyn Erso, Rogue One

You have the eyes of a man who wants to run
-Mas, The Force Awakens

Be careful you don't choke on your aspirations, Director.
-Darth Vader, Rogue One

I have a bad feeling about this
-Pretty much everyone but Chewy

Simetra Irertne
2017-04-27, 02:37 PM
"Never tell me the odds"

eru001
2017-04-27, 05:40 PM
Right or wrong be decisive, the road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

JNAProductions
2017-04-28, 09:11 PM
"I'm afraid you can't help-not unless you can work miracles."

"What's your budget?"

-Phineas and Ferb, S1E22

Cluedrew
2017-04-29, 04:03 PM
-Suihira: The City of Water

A kind of humorous uncaring, tough love and/or "you are fine and I got nothing but poke fun at you while we wait". Seems to be the more senior, or at least more patient, member as well. A hard edged leader with a sense of humor.-The Magic School Bus

Generally mad scientist or wizard with a sort of comic twist. I mean you could go pretty dark with baked into a pie, but its the magic school bus. I mean if you are running a game in/near/around a school, what would Ms. Frizzle be like in this setting be a great way to create a new character.-The Badguys

Your friendly neighbourhood terrorist? That is a tricky one to pull of, perhaps full terrorist might be too much. But even if you go with the more classic lovable villain, bringing their family in is a nice touch.-El Goonish Shive: Commentary

... Seriously, what kind of power is detecting danger to puppies? That is starting to make paladins look edgy. A natural born do-gooder to the extreme, who spends time saving... the minute? The little things, puppies instead of the world.Out-of-character quote, but I think it gets the idea across. It may contradict some lore and it is hard to make a character who worships themselves fun to play with, tend to be as annoying in game as in real life, but if you can pull it off that would be quite a story.If you want to get really serious about this idea, really short and really intimidating. Of course any one who can loom while being shorter works, going a completely different direction with it could get you a threatening bureaucrat.

8BitNinja
2017-05-01, 07:29 PM
Getting deep and serious here.

Oh, gather 'round me, comrades; and
listen while I speak
Of a war, a war, a war where hell is
six feet deep.
Along the shore, the cannons roar. Oh
how can a soldier sleep?
The going's slow on Anzio. And hell is
six feet deep.

Praise be to God for this captured sod that
rich with blood does seep.
With yours and mine, like butchered
swine's; and hell is six feet deep.
That death awaits there's no debate;
no triumph will we reap.
The crosses grow on Anzio, where hell is
six feet deep.

A good one for a fighter who has seen some stuff.

eru001
2017-05-02, 01:24 PM
A musical rendition of a critical failure

The Barrel Song.

Dear Sir I write this note to you to tell you of me plight
for at the time of writing I am not a pretty sight
me body is all black and blue, me face a deathly gray
and I write this note to tell you why I'm not at work today

while working on the fourteenth floor some bricks I had to clear
and tossing them from such a height was not a good idear
me formen saw this problem, and well he's an akward sod
he said i'd have to cart them down the ladder in me hod

well shifting all those bricks by hand it was so very slow
so I rigged up a barrel and secured a rope below
but in me haste to do the job I was too blind to see
that a barrel full of building bricks is heavier than me

so when I did untie the rope the barrel fell like lead
and clinging tightly to the rope I started up instead
I shot up like an arrow till to my dismay I found
that halfway up I met the bloody barrel coming down

the barrel broke me shoulder as down to the ground it sped
and when I reached the top I banged the pulley with me head
I clung on tightly numb with shock from this almighty blow
as the barrel spilled out half the bricks fourten floors below.

I then outweighed the barrell which then started up once more.
still clinging tightly to the rope I started toward the floor
still clinging tightly to the rope me body wracked with pain
half way down I met the bloody barrel once again

now the force of this collision halfway down the tower block
caused multiple contusions and a nasty state of shock
still clinging tightly to the rope I fell on toward the ground
and landed on the broken bricks the barrel had scattered round

I lay there groaning on the ground I thought I'd passed the worst
but the barrel hit the pully wheel and then the bottom burst
a shower of bricks rained down on me I didn't have a hope
and as I lay there bleeding I let go the bloody rope

the barrel being unsecured it started down once more
it landed right across me as I lay there on the floor
it broke three ribs and my left arm and I can only say
that I hope you'll understand why I am not at work today

8BitNinja
2017-05-02, 06:45 PM
This song pretty much sums up at least a part of every paladin I have made up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HLNMfCBUb0

Belac93
2017-05-02, 07:25 PM
"We worship the rock gods-"
"No we don't. We just blame them when things go wrong."
"And when we are blessed, we thank them."
"No. When things go right, we congratulate ourselves."
-Fall of Light

FreddyNoNose
2017-05-02, 07:43 PM
"If you can't attack it from behind, it isn't worth fighting!"

Cluedrew
2017-05-15, 06:04 PM
-Shoot Around

A trickster, they will use whatever tools you give them, and if the only tool they have is their voice, that is more than enough.A rather casual secret agent. They seem to trust the people around them (the party?) but are still committed to keeping secrets. Hopefully it is a sign of competence as the rest hints at a lack there of.Another quote from the same character which more direct but less evocative: "Strong enough to not need to use our strength." That is strong, but at the same time they save it for when they need it and let things other people would fight against wash over them, enduring or not caring. This particular one also seems to be a man with some crazy tattoos.You want to make a god? How about a trickster god who teaches harsh lessons. Which would be different from a deceiver looking to talk advantage of wishes. A person? Perhaps they are speaking from experience and regret getting what they thought they wanted. A wise elder, speaking in warning to the young and overly hopeful, could also say this, or anyone sufficiently reflective.
Teacher: "Do you know what they call throwing around unfounded claims?"
Student: "Courage?"
Teacher: "Satire."
Student: "The word is slander."'
Citizen Dane (I think)

A young student who is smart, as smart or smarter than the teacher, but at the same time has no restraint. Full of attitude and maybe going after the wrong target, or at least in the wrong way, but they have potential. It remains to be seen if they reach that potential.

D.KnightSpider
2017-05-20, 06:25 PM
"A dog cannot make this journey alone. But, maybe a wolf can."

"Sometimes you have to break things to fix them."

Bohandas
2017-05-27, 05:33 PM
"Good [or] bad....I'm the guy with the gun" -Evil Dead III

EDIT:
"I bring you a message. Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devil-monster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana. And he loves to hurt people. The last time I saw Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana, he told me what he wants to do. He wants to come down here and kill each and every one of you. But I said to him: 'Bingo, wait a minute!'. And the reason I said that is because I believe in you people. I believe you can do the job. I believe you can help each other. I believe you can make this world a better place to live in. That's it"
-Greaser's Palace

Bohandas
2017-06-01, 01:40 PM
"when she died the neighbors came to snicker 'that's what comes from too much pills and liquor', but when I saw her laid out like a queen she was the happiest corpse I'd ever seen"
-Cabaret

"and we'll kill everything, including ourselves"
-GWAR, We Kill Everything

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-03, 12:05 AM
"Pretty... What do I blow up first?"

Durkoala
2017-06-03, 12:27 PM
Some views on ambitions and the future!

I didn't become a martial artist to be the champion at rythymic gymnastics! - Ranma Saotome, Ranma 1/2

My dreams were stolen from me. But now I'm about to steal somebody else's... Emily, Corpse Bride

Nobody can stand here in my way / Is it so wrong to be selfish for a change? Cut the Cord by TheLivingTombstone

I say, would you like to be a hero? RGB, The Property of Hate

Am I a monster? The very worst one. RGB, The Property of Hate (Paraphrased a bit to be clearer)

You may have your justice, but first let me have mine. Click, The Property of Hate

We're not retreating, we're advancing in a different direction! BlueXephos, Shadow of Israphel

Belac93
2017-06-05, 09:12 AM
“I was perfectly happy,” Scapegoat said, “Being able to tell myself that hey, the news is blowing things out of proportion.* There’s no way Brockton Bay is as scary as they’re making it out to be.* Dragon suits get sent in and are promptly forced out, but really, the mayor‘s telling Washington it’s safe enough.* The media got something wrong, or they’re making little problems sound bigger than they are.* See the piles of dead bodies where this girl-”

“Echidna,” Tattletale supplied.

“Where Echidna spat out clones.* Okay.* I can live with that.* An unusual power and strong parahuman.* Could be an exaggeration.* See the destruction, the ruined buildings and the streets that still haven’t drained a hundred percent.* More or less what I expected from the news.* The girl with the mutant dogs?* Bug girl?* Still manageable.* But she opens her mouth,” Scapegoat pointed at Tattletale, “And pop goes my bubble of happy self-delusion.”

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-06-05, 10:29 PM
Ooh, Worm quotes!

“Not a promise, not an oath, or a malediction or a curse. Inevitable. Wasn’t that how she put it? I told them. Warned them.”

"Eh, I can take you"

Bohandas
2017-06-06, 12:05 AM
"The darkest magic, my soul swims in it; Scattered across time, trapped in a world of formlessness" -Big Trouble In Little China

Cluedrew
2017-06-10, 07:05 PM
I don't know if they are an optimist, a lunatic or just capable of appreciating the good part or a very bad thing. Either way they seem to be rather laid back about the recent developments and may also be a bit of an artist.Well, you could play a character who comes from a terrifying family where everyone has terrifying presence. Or just go straight to the terrifying grandma. Either or.-El Goonish Shive: Newspaper: Commentary

Act on instinct, go with your gut, to the artful thing, feel your way through the situation. Logic and cold reasoning is over used in characters, especially once the battle map comes out.Has some serious medical issues beyond the reach of normal medicine. Maybe it is a plot hook, looking for a cure. Maybe it is the result of past adventures, for a experienced adventure with a superhuman physic it might be little more than flavour text, although that might be underselling it a bit.

I also have a challenge for the thread. Can you give me a character based off of:

"You have a mom!"
"Why is this a surprise?"

I also found some old The Gods are Bastards quotes I wrote down put forgot to put up.
"Do you understand what that means?"
"Um, no," said Gabriel. "But I bet Fross does."
"I sure do!" the pixie all but shouted, buzzing around in frantic circles above their heads.

"You just got your manners corrected by a demon, roomie. I bet Avei's so proud!"

"I wouldn’t send [a thief] into the woods, but I’m also loath to send my Huntsmen to stalk prey in the city streets. We all hunt in the way our own wilds demand, eh?"

"Well, call me overcautious, but I've met enough Butlers in my time that I’ve developed a policy of playing it safe around 'em,"

Weaver grunted. "I'm accustomed to responding to 'hey, *******.'"'

"May, this is Zanza, a fool and a reprobate." "And proud of my achievements in these fields,"

"I mean, who’s afraid of dinner parties?"

"It’s okay. Shaeine, can you please be ready to rescue me from my own stupidity if need be?"
"That is my customary practice, yes."

"Otherwise, [you] try to execute classmates and start civil insurrections."

...a very satisfying lapse in his usual poise (which did not belong on someone so young).

"I mean what contingencies did you set up with your Butler? That bit about her knowing what to do."
"Oh, I haven't a clue. There's noplan, per se. Price always knows what to do, though."

"Wouldn’t think so, would you?" Joe said. "I did warn you, ma'am."

"I wish we could've stopped for popcorn on the way here, kids. This is going to be a spectacle."

"And then Gabe shuts up," he finished weakly.
"Every story should end that way," said Ruda.

"Well, you know how it is," he said modestly. "My day isn’t complete until a woman calls me creepy."

"I confess it’s downright liberating, doing something like this in a civilian-free landscape for which I won’t be held financially liable."

"Betcha I have more reason to worry than he did," Mogul said glibly. "Worst thing you can do with a wand is kill somebody."

"Well… I must say, this night is going to leave me without things not to believe in."

Behind her, the bellowing demon plunged into the canal. Price pause for a moment to straighten her tie.

"Excellent timing, by the way, Price."
"Yes, it was. If your Grace is seeking comfort in reminders of the familiar, I also have red hair."

"Indeed,” Darling said softly. "None of you interfere. This is personal." [...]
"We settle it like gentlemen," Mogul said, equally quiet.
"Man to man."
"One on one."
"To the death."
[Dramatic description of the moment.]
And then Mogul and Darling simultaneously burst into gales of laughter.

"Either someone is going to explain to me right damn now what just happened or I will begin stabbing people at random," Peepers threatened.
"You don’t have a knife," Joe observed.
"I will improvise."

"Juniper," Tellwyrn said, staring at her over her glasses, "what have I told you about whining?"
"Um…well… Actually, nothing."
"Mm hm. Would you like to hear my opinions about whining?"
The dryad crept backward a half step. "Actually, now that I think about it, no."

"Well, I got to thinking about what peace really means, and how it can be achieved," Ruda mused, her eyes darting over her report and Tellwyrn’s commentary. "So I laid out an eleven-step plan to obliterate all sentient life on the mortal, divine and infernal planes. I got an academic award." She turned the page. "…and a notice from Tellwyrn that I’ve been added to some kind of Imperial watch list. Neat! Wait’ll I tell Papa!"

"I do say that’s tailored to be a threat to this campus. Look, kids, if you’re not happy about the food, there’s a suggestion box. This is just excessive."

"Now that he knows I can give him really great sex or yank out his spine with one hand, he pretty much falls over himself to do whatever I ask."
"Something about that is profoundly wrong," Gabe muttered, "but I can’t quite put my finger on it."

She broke off, looking at Sanjay, who gazed back with an expression of wide-eyed innocence that would absolutely terrify anyone who had ever raised a twelve-year-old.

"I didn’t even- Arachne, I’m afraid I must immediately tender my resignation on the grounds that I have become a senile old fool."

“Those. Little. ****s.” Tellwryn hissed.
Behind her, Professor Ezzaniel cleared his throat. "[Actually, I think the gods are behind this.]"
“Who did you think I was talking about?” she snarled, whirling and stalking away up the platform.

Edgeoftheabbys
2017-06-11, 08:45 PM
Die jus die

Mr. E
2017-06-13, 09:25 PM
"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave and debonair, Professor. But I've never claimed to be civilised."
- Chaotic-anything rogue or bard.

"Doors are for people with no imagination."
- Chaotic-anything wizard, sorcerer or rogue.

"I hate it when people are trying to kill me. It's just inconsiderate."
- Anybody whose seen a bit, and finds danger just more of the same.

"You're still upset about that time I made you explode, aren't you. I can tell."
- Chaotic-anything (again) spellcaster.

"I like having someone follow me around like a little puppy. It makes me feel good about myself."
- A cynical or grumpy mentor figure.

"Well, charming, lethal, brilliant and oh, modest."
- Any sort of high CHA character.

"I seem to have lost track of this speech, I'm not sure where it is going, but I know where it started and that's what I want you to remember. Has anyone seen my hat?"
- An eccentric or slightly mad character of any kind.

All of the above are from the Skullduggery Pleasant YA series written by Derek Landy.

JAL_1138
2017-06-20, 08:18 PM
"When you lay me down to rest, leave a pistol in my vest." —Gillian Welch

Good for a Deadlands character, who might well return from the grave.

Falconer
2017-06-20, 09:32 PM
Being a snobbish elitist, I get fun character ideas from poetry.

I will repeat a subtle rune—
And thronging suns of Otherwhere
Shall blaze upon the blinded air,
And spectres terrible and fair
Shall wake the riven world at noon.

The star that was mine empery
In dust upon unwinnowed skies:
But primal dreams have made me wise,
And soon the shattered years shall rise
To my remembered sorcery.

To mantic mutterings, brief and low,
My palaces shall lift amain,
My bowers bloom; I will regain
The lips whereon my lips have lain
In rose-red twilights long ago.

Before my murmured exorcism
The world, a wispy wraith, shall flee:
A stranger earth, a weirder sea,
People with shapes of Fäery,
Shall swell upon the waste abysm.

The pantheons of darkened stars
Shall file athwart the crocus dawn;
Goddess and Gorgon, Lar and faun,
Shall tread the amaranthine lawn,
And giants fight their thunderous wars.

Like graven mountains of basalt,
Dark idols of my demons there
Shall tower through bright zones of air,
Fronting the sun with level stare;
And hell shall pave my deepest vault.

Phantom and fiend and sorceror
Shall serve me...till my term shall pass,
And I become no more, alas,
Than a frail shadow on the glass
Before some latter conjurer.

"But the old flags reel and the old drums rattle,
As once in my life they throbbed and reeled;
I have found my youth in the lost battle,
I have found my heart on the battlefield."
-G.K. Chesterton, A Song of Defeat
^An old campaigner who's setting out to have adventures once again.

She dropped the bar, she shot the bolt, she fed the fire anew
For she heard a whimper under the sill and a great grey paw came through.
The fresh flame comforted the hut and shone on the roof-beam,
And the Only Son lay down again and dreamed that he dreamed a dream.
The last ash fell from the withered log with the click of a falling spark,
And the Only Son woke up again, and called across the dark:--
"Now was I born of womankind and laid in a mother's breast?
For I have dreamed of a shaggy hide whereon I went to rest.
And was I born of womankind and laid on a father's arm?
For I have dreamed of clashing teeth that guarded me from harm.

And was I born an Only Son and did I play alone?
For I have dreamed of comrades twain that bit me to the bone.
And did I break the barley-cake and steep it in the tyre?
For I have dreamed of a youngling kid new-riven from the byre:
For I have dreamed of a midnight sky and a midnight call to blood
And red-mouthed shadows racing by, that thrust me from my food.
'Tis an hour yet and an hour yet to the rising of the moon,
But I can see the black roof-tree as plain as it were noon.
'Tis a league and a league to the Lena Falls where the trooping blackbuck go;
But I can hear the little fawn that bleats behind the doe.

'Tis a league and a league to the Lena Falls where the crop and the upland meet,
But I Can smell the wet dawn-wind that wakes the sprouting wheat.
Unbar the door. I may not bide, but I must out and see
If those are wolves that wait outside or my own kin to me!"
. . . . .
She loosed the bar, she slid the bolt, she opened the door anon,
And a grey bitch-wolf came out of the dark and fawned on the Only Son!

I have been given my charge to keep --
Well have I kept the same!
Playing with strife for the most of my life,
But this is a different game.
I'11 not fight against swords unseen,
Or spears that I cannot view --
Hand him the keys of the place on your knees --
'Tis the Dreamer whose dreams come true!

Ask him his terms and accept them at once.
Quick, ere we anger him, go!
Never before have I flinched from the guns,
But this is a different show.
I'11 not fight with the Herald of God
(I know what his Master can do!)
Open the gate, he must enter in state,
'Tis the Dreamer whose dreams come true!

I'd not give way for an Emperor,
I'd hold my road for a King --
To the Triple Crown I would not bow down --
But this is a different thing.
I'11 not fight with the Powers of Air,
Sentry, pass him through!
Drawbridge let fall, 'tis the Lord of us all,
The Dreamer whose dreams come true!

Cluedrew
2017-06-27, 08:21 PM
-I love Yoo

That is an odd sort of zen, with equality, negativity and slang all wrapped up together in one... odd package.-To Aru Kagakaro Railgun

I think this one is pretty straightforward: Chaotic Good computer technician.Power source: random items I carry? I can work with that.Either far two stupid to live in reality or connected with nature in a sort of let it be way, a sort of oneness.

JNAProductions
2017-07-03, 11:27 PM
"Back from hell-hello again."
-Soldier (Of TF2)

eru001
2017-07-04, 07:41 AM
As I lay me down to sleep
I set my guards about the keep,
Should they call me then to wake
the danger's life my sword shall take

Cluedrew
2017-07-31, 05:05 PM
A character who is perhaps too good at breaking and entering, in that the idea of personal property seems to not apply anymore. They are also good at getting up a floor or two, so likely the more acrobatic type as well.You know I think it generally helps if there is some unexpected aspects of a character, something that does not flow from their central concept. I mean if you focus on the office worker with tattoos it becomes the central concept, but if the straight laced office worker has some tattoos from a more adventurous youth, that is adding some details to a character that hopefully will create a more organic character.A strong warrior who reached the top and only then began to regret their life of violence. Guessing what this would be in reply too, the others (lesser warriors?) seem to be surprised by this, maybe they aspire to be something that the one who has achieved it realizes it is not as great as it seems. -Sleepless Domain

Hey a hero who thinks about property damage, what do you know? Not quite a character concept in and of itself, but I think it hints at a more caring or thoughtful character.Its been a while.

8BitNinja
2017-07-31, 09:02 PM
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life"

-Winston Churchill

Here is one for a ranger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5WJJVSE_BE

FabulousFizban
2017-08-02, 11:53 PM
!) Please! I used to hunt ****ing vampires.
2) Dont be fooled! Beneath this calm exerior beats the trembling heart of a coward.

Cluedrew
2017-08-07, 09:27 AM
-Sleepless Domain

Hey, if you got it, use it. More significantly, most people with "awkwardness aura" tend to be too socially, well, awkward (or unaware) to do anything with it. So we have a possibly helpful character who is social aware but still awkward enough to weaponize it.Classic Meetings and Managers character. You know the game the D&D monsters play in their off time?-Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

I find this to be a very interesting expression of a brute fighter's raw power. Also if anyone can find a way to mechanically support having your character break things with their face I am very impressed.-Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

I'm not sure if you could make a full character out of this, but you could get an interesting visual quirk out of it.

goto124
2017-08-07, 10:27 AM
-Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

I find this to be a very interesting expression of a brute fighter's raw power. Also if anyone can find a way to mechanically support having your character break things with their face I am very impressed.

- Myra, goddess of headbutts, KSBD (http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/seeker-of-thrones-5-51/
)

Here, Myra is the giant blue lady.

Cluedrew
2017-08-18, 07:51 PM
To goto124: That sounds exactly like Kill Six Billion Demons.

-Sleepless Domain

Don't take that from anybody, not even yourself. They seem to be confident, aggressive and not reflective in the slightest.-The Sword Interval

Some heroes ride to victory with carefully honed weapons. Others grab the nearest blunt object and improvise.Someone with an eye for detail, being able to notice little details and apparently being able to count up to 10 000 without much issue.

Also they were talking about death. They seem to be a big picture person, hundreds of candles went out, but it was unnoticeable. Or maybe they are saying that it shouldn't be unnoticed and we need to pay more attention.-Hero Oh Hero

Why walk softly when you have a big stick? Well I can think of a couple of reasons, but this character can't. Or maybe they have but have decided to play to their strengths.

Drakevarg
2017-08-18, 08:25 PM
"These men who brought me here today do not fear me. They brought me here today because they fear you. Because they know that my voice, a voice that refuses to be enslaved, once lived in you, and may yet still. They brought me here today to show you death, and use it to frighten you into ignoring that voice. But know this: we are many, they are few. To fear death is a choice, and they can't hang us all."
- Charles Vane, Black Sails

Possibly the only example I can think of for a sympathetic Chaotic Evil protagonist.

martixy
2017-08-19, 09:10 PM
I can't know if this has already been posted, but here you go:

And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'

Also, I feel people like to colour their quotes way too much with their own preconceptions.

They're best left in a vacuum, so everyone can find their own unique spin.

Protato
2017-08-21, 08:53 PM
"You did what?"

Cluedrew
2017-08-24, 10:28 AM
To martixy: I sort of agree that quotes should stand on their own. The reason I put my commentary in spoilers is so you don't have to read it. Or even if you do, you have a moment to see it in isolation before you read my thoughts on it. When I originally started posting quotes I often let them stand on their own, but some of them I just had to say something. And the others I thought, if I can't think of anything worth saying about it, even if it is not great, maybe it isn't a quote you can build a character off of anyways. So that's my thoughts on the matter. Don't feel you have to read the stuff in the spoilers, that's why they are there.

The obvious one is real monster, who understands the terrible things they to but doesn't even care anymore. Your mother thinks your evil is a pretty high standard for how low you have gone. But at the same time that is all past tense, maybe that hurt made them realize, made them change.-Dominic Deegan: Oracle For Hire

Even without being a bard, a character committed to comedy will... probably come off as a bard anyways. There is an excuse here to turn to "chaotic neutral" humour here, but a more refined bard that aims for higher comedy might come off better.-Hero Oh Hero

And you had your national animal handy? Patriotic and creative, perhaps a scientist or a lateral thinking soldier.Imagine parent teacher interviews with this person. Still you have an almost impossibly successful commander, who managed to do all that while pregnant and giving birth. I'm not sure what type of mother she is, probably rigid and possibly distant to hold down such a career during that time. Similarly, although a soldier she defiantly made it on her brains. You can't be the best physical condition for 30 years, although she is probably in pretty good shape all things considered.

Vknight
2017-08-27, 12:06 PM
Here are some more, so you enjoy it

"What do you say too death? Not Today"

"Well I accidentally made a harem again."

"A mind needs a book as a sword needs a whetstone, if its too keep its edge."

"Laughter is poison to fear"

Cluedrew
2017-09-16, 08:16 PM
I enjoy characters with a bit of history. This one seems to have quite a bit. For some reason I see this character coming in part way through a campaign, when you need to explain where some capable other character who hasn't been involved until now came from. Plus they seem to have some experience, of the sneaky improvisational get out of jail kind.Powerful and direct, will make a scene to prove a point. I'm feeling she is some sort of power-fighter martial artist, because of the strength required for ripping of hinges.Probably longer than you think it is. But why does it matter? Are they immortal and have forever? Do they have to wait forever for something they want? Do they have a duty they must uphold forever? Do they wish the forever could be over?I'm going to say they have some physical power, they can endure some pain so I'll say they are relatively fine with physical discomfort. A rough past without comfort or maybe just athletic and they exert themselves. Let's say both. And yet here they are writing a math test, so they seem to be in the 'normal world' now. There are rough places in the world that still have math tests, but I think travelling from a bad place to here (where the story starts) is an interesting back story. They are also mischievous, judging from their reaction to the teacher's reaction.

Cluedrew
2017-10-24, 06:39 AM
Double post? Are we really running low on quotes? ... We could be, it took me longer than usual to make a set this time.

Who would say this? Probably someone who doesn't value life to much, but everyone values their own life (mostly). Maybe they really believe the whole survival of the strongest (individually) fittest thing. Probably haven't suffered major any misfortune in life that would force them to turn to allies, so perhaps rather inexperienced. Still, probably pretty strong, and slightly mocking and arrogant.-Akatsuki no Yona

We cannot wait to save the world, the problems exist today and will only worsen with time. Also proactive characters are awesome.-Akatsuki no Yona

Someone who claims to be old but moves like the wind. Would probably be a hard character to play in a longer campaign because they are unlikely to be getting much stronger as play continues. So probably in a short game or maybe an NPC.You know most people without a lot of social skills are portrayed as withdrawn and quiet, and maybe that reflects the proportions in real life but its not always the case. Sometimes they are very loud. Hopefully they can still be likable in an awkward way though, it is a game, hang out with people you enjoy.

SirBellias
2017-10-24, 10:24 AM
Here are some defining quotes from our characters in the past. They probably can be used to make new ones (if only for joke campaigns).

"Bruce, you should come to the bathroom with us, let us eat you alive, and not struggle." - Definitely not a vampire.

"The Tarot cards have stopped calling me a little bitch." - A highly incompetent fortune teller who knows what is up.

"I guess we have to go save him." - The reluctant hero.

"YOUR MOTHER WAS A GECKO!" - Ye who gives dragons a good old fashioned taunting.

"That sounds stupid."
"Of course it's stupid, that's why we're gonna do it."

"There's always a centipede cult, if you know where to look." - The Jaded Traveler

Sinewmire
2017-10-24, 10:51 AM
"Unhappy is the land that breeds no hero"
"No. Unhappy is the land that needs a hero."
- Brecht, the life of Galileo.

"If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you are going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat. They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the murder like another man will put off a good cigar. So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word."
-Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms. Words for a paladin to live by.

"The good are innocent and create justice. The bad are guilty, which is why they invent mercy."
-Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad. This ranks amonst the most terrifying "hero" speeches I've hever heard.

"This ain't no place for no hero. This ain't no place for no 'better man'. This ain't no place for no hero to call home."
-The Heavy, Short Change Hero. Very bitter, lamenting that circumstances are forcing people to be bad.

"Do not say that it is a fight we cannot win. I prefer to think of it as a fight we must never lose."
- Warblade from the Konrad Novels, talking about the fight against Chaos, mankind's base and corrupt nature.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-10-25, 10:25 AM
In honour of the anniversary of two great (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Balaclava) battles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leyte_Gulf), and their two great (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_of_the_Light_Brigade) miscommunications (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_world_wonders):

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
“Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns!” he said.
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

“Forward, the Light Brigade!”
Was there a man dismayed?
Not though the soldier knew
Someone had blundered.
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die.
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flashed all their sabres bare,
Flashed as they turned in air
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wondered.
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right through the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reeled from the sabre stroke
Shattered and sundered.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell.
They that had fought so well
Came through the jaws of Death,
Back from the mouth of hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred!

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie. - It's magnificent, but it's not war. It's madness.

Uncommon valor was a common virtue.

Our armament must be adequate to the needs, but our faith is not primarily in these machines of defence but in ourselves.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.

There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.

Hit hard, hit fast, hit often.

I never trust a fighting man who doesnt smoke or drink.

If anything gets in my way, we'll shoot first and argue afterwards.

Hellpyre
2017-10-25, 04:10 PM
"I killed him. And in doing so, I became him anew."

A blackguard before the final battle.

"I can taste his heartsblood already in my mouth. Now comes the certainty of his death."

A savage druid.

Personification
2017-10-28, 08:56 PM
Madame Kovarian: The anger of a good man is not a problem. Good men have too many rules.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.

“Oh, hell,” Kelsier said. “There’s actually a God?”
“Yes.”
Kelsier decked him.
It was a good, clean punch, thrown from the shoulder while he brought his other arm up to block a counter strike.”

“Huh, Kelsier thought. He holds the powers of creation in twain, a god among gods. And he’s still a terrible liar.”

“Kelsier: "You've got to have some idea what I could try, Fuzz."
God: "What did you just call me?"
Kelsier: "Fuzz, I've got to try something."
Fuzz/God: "You could try 'My Lord,'" Fuzz said with a huff."
Kelsier: "That's a terrible nickname for a crew member."
"So," Fuzz said. "You are not only the first person to punch me, you're also the first to try and recruit me. You are a distinctively strange man."
Kelsier: " You don't know my friends...”

“Ideas are never original," Kelsier said. "Only one thing is."
"And what is that?
"Style," Kelsier said.
Then he punched Ruin across the face.”

“He doesn’t know as much as he thinks,” Preservation whispered. “That is his weakness. The . . . weakness . . . of all clever men”

Wax: "Logic doesn't work on Wayne."
Wayne: "I bought a ward against it off a traveling fortune-teller, It lets me add two 'n' two and get a pickle."

“What I need to do,” Wayne said, “is get the whole city drunk.”
MeLaan: “Or, you know, advocate workers’ rights to bring down working hours, improve conditions, and meet a base minimum of pay.”
“Yeah, yeah,” Wayne said. “That too. But if I could get everybody drunk, think how much happier this city would be.”

"I ain’t drunk,” Wayne said, sniffling. “I’m investigatin’ alternative states of sobriety.”

“Wayne's a little attached to that hat," Waxillium said. "He thinks it's lucky."
Wayne: "It is lucky. I ain't never died while wearing that hat."
Marasi frowned. "I ... I'm not sure I know how to respond."
Wax: "That's a common reaction to Wayne.”

Wax: "You're right of course"
Wayne: "Usually am"
"Except that one time at Lessie's bithday"
"You always have to bring that up, don't you? Honest mistake."
"You put dynamite in the oven, Wayne"
"Gotta hide a gift where nobody will look for it."

“Brightness...I believe you stray into sarcasm."
"Funny.I thought I'd run straight into it,screaming at the top of my lungs.”

“We actually killed the thing.”
“Sad, I know,” she said, feeling depressed. “It was beautiful.”
“It would be more beautiful if it hadn't tried to eat me.”
“From my perspective,” Shallan noted, “it didn't try, it succeeded.”
“Nonsense,” Kaladin said. “It didn't manage to swallow me. Doesn't count.”

“The sensation—it’s not sorrow, but something deeper—of being broken. Of being crushed so often, and so hatefully, that emotion becomes something you can only wish for. If only you could cry, because then you’d feel something. Instead, you feel nothing. Just . . . haze and smoke inside. Like you’re already dead.” (the person saying his said it to interrupt someone accusing them of not knowing what true sorrow and hardship are)

“Why hasn't anyone killed him yet?”
“Dumb luck,” Wit said. “In that I’m lucky you’re all so dumb.”

"You think he'll live?"
"He just fell out the third-story window, plummeting toward certain doom. Of course he'll live!"

There are tons of others, but I feel like sixteen is enough, and (if you know the source material) it is incredibly funny that I randomly chose to stop at that specific number (I actually chose to stop, then counted the number that I had done). If you feel like you have a particularly interesting interpretation, even, or especially, if you haven't read the source material, I would love to see it, also READ THESE BOOKS, THEY ARE AWESOME (but start with Elantris, and read them in publishing order).

Lord Raziere
2017-10-28, 10:58 PM
There are tons of others, but I feel like sixteen is enough, and (if you know the source material) it is incredibly funny that I randomly chose to stop at that specific number (I actually chose to stop, then counted the number that I had done). If you feel like you have a particularly interesting interpretation, even, or especially, if you haven't read the source material, I would love to see it, also READ THESE BOOKS, THEY ARE AWESOME (but start with Elantris, and read them in publishing order).

Your forgetting one:

"Hello. Would you like to destroy some evil today?" (Said by someone who doesn't know what evil is)

Personification
2017-10-28, 11:38 PM
Your forgetting one:

"Hello. Would you like to destroy some evil today?" (Said by someone who doesn't know what evil is)

It had been posted on the thread already, but if I had would that have made nightblood the 17th shard...:smalleek:... TO THE COPPERMIND!

On a completely unrelated note: How do you put the "originally posted by X" line in a quote?

Cluedrew
2017-10-29, 10:46 AM
The format (with '{}' replacing '[]') is: {QUOTE=Attributed To} with the closing tag the same. You can also add a ';XYZ' after the original poster name, where XYZ is the post number, if you are grabbing the it from somewhere else on the forum that will create an arrow that links to that post. I think it only works with post numbers. It might also handle various other addresses but I've never tried and I don't think there is a manual for this. If you check the reply with quote or multiquote buttons it will generate the quote for you, I figured out how to do it by looking at those.

Personification
2017-10-29, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the tip, also:

“Everyone should get to clobber a princess at least once," Jason said.”
This is said to the princess, after said clobbering

YAY, it works!:smallbiggrin:

eru001
2017-10-29, 03:23 PM
All quotes from a game I play

This is a terrible idea, count me in.

Are those, Dog Treats? WHY? Why are you eati- oh righ, werewolf.

Guys I have a confession to make, I don't actually know how to mix drinks, what we just drank was pure absinthe.

Personification
2017-10-29, 04:00 PM
The knife slid off Hrathen's armor, scraping ineffectively along the painted steel. Dilaf regarded the breastplate with stunned eyes. "But that armor is just for show..." "You should know by now, Dilaf," Hrathen said, bringing his armored foream up and smashing it into the monk's face. [...] "Nothing I do is just for show."
-Elantris, Brandon Sanderson

Cluedrew
2017-10-29, 09:24 PM
Wow this thread suddenly feels alive again.

-Moana

I suppose you could just be an ordinary demigod, but I feel the false modesty view of it is really the only way to go. There would have to be a lot of demigod's for one to be ordinary.I could see it coming from someone trying to get out of punishment. But I would like it to be spoken by one who prioritizes protecting the innocent and healing the victims over punishing the guilty. This one might even be (hopelessly?) idealistic enough to pay no mind to punishing the guilty at all.This is either a very self aware fool, or they aren't quite as stupid as the literal meaning of these words would suggest. Still they have a way of thinking that gets them into trouble now and again. Or all the time.Knowledgeable enough to craft a plan B at a moments notice*, skilled enough to perform it immediately thereafter and of course, practical/hardened enough to do it even though it is going to be disgusting. But also considerate of their less hardened companions, or maybe showing off how direct this is going to be.

*It could have been planned ahead of time, but the others don't seem to know what it is.

Personification
2017-10-29, 10:06 PM
“In her business, there were many who laughed at honest men, calling them easy pickings. That was a fallacy. Being honest did not make one naive. A dishonest fool and an honest fool were equally easy to scam; you just went about it in different ways. However, a man who was honest and clever was always, always more difficult to scam than someone who was both dishonest and clever.”
“He found himself weeping. Not for the future or for the emperor. These were the tears of a man who saw before himself a masterpiece. True art was more than beauty; it was more than technique. It was not just imitation. It was boldness, it was contrast, it was subtlety. In this book, Gaotona found a rare work to rival that of the greatest painters, sculptors, and poets of any era. It was the greatest work of art he had ever witnessed. Gaotona held the book reverently for most of the night. It was the creation of months of fevered, intense artistic transcendence -- forced by external pressure, but released like a breath held until the brink of collapse. Raw yet polished. Reckless, but calculated. Awesome, yet unseen. So it had to remain. If anyone discovered what Shai had done, the emperor would fall. Indeed, the very empire might shake. [...] As morning broke, Gaotona slowly -- excrutiatingly -- stood up beside his hearth. He clutched the book, that matchless work of art, and held it out. Then he dropped it into the flames.”

“No matter how good you were, someone was better. Live by that knowledge, and you would never grow so confident that you became sloppy.”

“Control yourself, she told herself forcibly. Become someone who can deal with this. She took a deep breath and let herself become someone else. An imitation of herself who was calm, even in a situation like this. It was a crude forgery, just a trick of the mind, but it worked.”

“Her aunt Sol had once told Shai to smile at the worst insults and snap at the minor ones. That way, no man would know your heart.”

eru001
2017-10-30, 08:16 AM
New plan. Hit it really hard.
That was your last plan!
But now I have a bigger hammer!

Thank you for saving me from that monster. It was going to eat me.
Didn't do it for you, that't werbear's my friend, she'd feel really bad when she changed back after eating someone, something about morals. Draws sword
What's that for?
You're not getting eaten. Doesn't mean you get to live. I'd say nothing personal, but you did interrupt my breakfast with your blood magic. It's a bit of a hike back to town after all, and I only need your head to collect the bounty.

Durkoala
2017-10-30, 06:56 PM
I cut the names out to make these a bit more appliciable; hopefully they help somebody design something.:smalltongue:
I like to have a theme, but I can't really find one here. War and ambitions, perhaps?

With one act of fashion design, Edward had just made it very likely that the coming war would be very brutal indeed.
1000 YEARS OF ANNOYING THE FRENCH, Stephen Clarke

I'm not a racist anymore. White, black, yellow... we're all humans. We all need to be united against them.
From a book about urban dragons whose name I can't remember...

She'll burn up in the atmosphere and become a star. It's what she would have wanted.
from Railhead, by Philip Reeve

Keep Tom safe. And Hester too, though she doesn't deserve it. Lead them to Wren, whereever she may be. And may they all come home again to us, safe and happy and together.
Freya Rassmussen (character), Infernal Devices (book), Predator Cities (series), Philip Reeve

In short, this war was going to be cruel, racist and criminal. But most of all, it was going to be fun.
1000 YEARS OF ANNOYING THE FRENCH, Stephen Clarke

Jendekit
2017-10-30, 07:14 PM
"I don't need luck, I have ammo."
-Grunt

ANY gun/blaster using character

Personification
2017-10-30, 08:48 PM
"I need no sword, for I am the Doctor... and this is my spoon"

"Amy Pond, there's something you better understand about me 'cause it's important, and one day your life may depend upon it. I am definitely a mad man with a box."

German Officer: What are you doing here?
River Song: Well, I was on my way to this gay Gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I suddenly thought "Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish. I think I'll kill the Fuehrer." Who's with me?

Young Reinette: Monsieur, be careful!
The Doctor: It's just a nightmare, Reinette, don't worry, everyone has nightmares. Even monsters under the bed have nightmares!
Young Reinette: What do monsters have nightmares about?
The Doctor: Me!

“The Doctor: [aiming gun at the ceiling] Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.
Angel Bob: And what would that be, sir?
The Doctor: Me. [fires]”

And finally, (because I have a streak going):
“I am the one thing you can never kill. I am Hope.”-Kelsier, Mistborn: The Final Empire

Spookykid
2017-11-02, 01:32 PM
I have honor and glory, they are my horses.

FabulousFizban
2017-11-05, 06:26 PM
1)I know what I am talking about when I am talking about the revolutions. The people who read the books go to the people who can't read the books, the poor people, and say, "We have to have a change." So, the poor people make the change, ah? And then, the people who read the books, they all sit around the big polished tables, and they talk and talk and talk and eat and eat and eat, eh? But what has happened to the poor people? They're dead! That's your revolution. Shhh... So, please, don't tell me about revolutions! And what happens afterwards? The same ****ing thing starts all over again!

2)Where there's revolution there's confusion, and when there's confusion, a man who knows what he wants stands a good chance of getting it.

3)John H. Mallory: Where are you going, for Christ's sake?
Juan Miranda: I don't know. I don't know, but something's wrong. I went into the bank. But when I go in the bank, there's nothing there, no money, nothing.
John H. Mallory: Oh, well, the bank and the money were transferred to Mexico City over a month ago. Well, they've been using this place for a political prison ever since.
Juan Miranda: What? What do you mean a political prison?
John H. Mallory: Well, I never said a thing about money. All I asked you was if you wanted to get inside.
Juan Miranda: But you know that this bank is my life! This is my dream!
John H. Mallory: Well, the reality of that is you just liberated 150 patriots through sheer courage in the face of danger.
John H. Mallory: [chuckles]
John H. Mallory: Ah yes, you're a grand hero of the revolution, now. Viva Miranda.
Juan Miranda: [the crowd lifts Miranda on its shoulders] I don't want to be a hero! All I want is the money! The money!
John H. Mallory: Viva Miranda!
Juan Miranda: You taught me one thing!
John H. Mallory: What?
Juan Miranda: [gives Mallory the finger] How to get ****ed!

4) the difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

eru001
2017-11-09, 10:01 PM
Ladies and gentlemen stand back. I'm about to give a mouse a cookie.

I'd say the fog monster is a clear and present danger, but while it is very present, nothing is clear anymore. Seriously guys, it's pea soup out here.

Turn signal? Blasphemy I say.

Cluedrew
2017-11-21, 08:29 AM
Such a burst of quotes, and some pretty good ones too, thanks everyone.

-Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

A pessimist who just wants to naysay in piece.-Blindsprings: Hover Text

"I see so many colours you wouldn't believe!" Although this is a great quote that explains how magic can hide away in a world of science, if you are trying to get a single crazy who does believe in extra colours. Which is kind of a reversal but I think it works.-Blindsprings: Hover Text

The voice of reason in the group, not the one who leads, but pulls the leader back when they are about to head off in a bad direction. The voice of sober second thought.-Boyfriend of the Dead

Who ever this is: don't get on their bad side.

NovenFromTheSun
2017-11-22, 12:45 AM
"I never cared about justice, and I don't remember ever calling myself a hero. I have always only fought for the people I believe in. I won't hesitate...if an enemy appears in front of me, I will destroy it!"
-Zero, Maga Man Zero 4.

Sounds good, perhaps ironically, for a vengeance paladin.

Cluedrew
2017-12-08, 08:31 PM
-Blindsprings: Hover Text

Hey, if it happens it happens. We can clean up the mess later, but for now if that is what it take, I'm sure we can fix it.-Blindsprings: Hover Text

And one that I feel hits a good point for some wrong side of the law. Not anything despicable, but enough that the powers that be (and some bystanders) are none too happy with it.I feel this person has person has had a lot of expectations, good and bad, forced on them. And they want none of it.An optimist who actually might not know the meaning of "give up".

vasilidor
2017-12-08, 10:04 PM
unarmed men make the best targets - a bandit.
I think his plan is to convince everyone he is not a ninja by screaming he is a ninja and wearing day glow orange, the problem is i think it might actually be working - don't remember who, in reference to a certain noisy character.
everything is going according to plaaaaaaaugh!!! - last word of a mad scientist.

DeTess
2017-12-13, 04:36 PM
"Honor's dead. But I'll see what I can do."

Lord Raziere
2017-12-13, 05:16 PM
"Sure I'm defeating you with the power of love and friendship. I know, its cheesy. But let me ask you this: WHATS SO POWERFUL ABOUT BEING HATED AND ALONE AGAIN?"

"Yes I'm the moral compass of everyone and did this whole messianic save the universe from a tyrant thing, yes I just blew up a hundred robots because they asked to be destroyed and it was fun. Whaaaaaat? they were asking for it. Literally."

"I can respect a man whose first thought upon being defeated is to ensure the safety of his son, rest assured I will not harm him."

JeenLeen
2017-12-13, 05:27 PM
"Being evil would be a hassle. Heroes always coming to try to stop you. If not them, the guards. But being a hero? This way I get to hunt down bad guys, and guards sometimes buy me drinks. Much better."

Personification
2017-12-13, 11:35 PM
"Honor's dead. But I'll see what I can do."

Assuming you are the Sharder who created that picture, I am the same Personification who commented on it on the 17th Shard, if not, shrug. Anyways....

“Were you … thinkin’ you’d fight them all on your own?” Lift said. “With a book?” “There is someone else for me to fight here.” “… With a book?” “Yes.” She shook her head. “Sure, all right. Why not? What do you want me to do?”

“Do you have a weapon?” he asked.

“Nope. Can’t read.” “Can’t…” Dalinar looked down at his book. “I meant a real weapon, Lift.”

Bohandas
2017-12-21, 03:32 AM
"Comedy is a dead art. But tragedy, that's funny"

eru001
2017-12-21, 03:36 PM
We will defend our Island, we will fight them on the beaches, we will fight them on the landing grounds, we will fight them in the streets, we will fight them in the hills and we will never surrender.

-Winston Churchill.

Personification
2017-12-21, 11:47 PM
Your Song by Elton John, half elf Bard with proficiency in potters tools and alchemists tools.

eru001
2018-01-02, 03:40 PM
A good plan violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.

George Patton

Cluedrew
2018-01-03, 08:51 AM
Hey, someone else rescued this off of the later pages. Also random question, does anybody read (and hopefully enjoy) the extra comments. A recent conversation about things standing on their own has got me wondering about value added.

Someone business-like who quickly and easily resorts to overwhelming force when violence is required.-Blindsprings

Well someone seems to be more frustrated than wowed by recent events. I mean fear is the other "normal" reaction, but this isn't that either, this is "Why did there have to be a car crash on my way home today of all days?" level there might be a problem but I don't want to have to deal with it. Maybe a little bit selfish then? Still, you know if they are a PC, they are going to get wrapped up into it anyways.Someone who voices their thoughts at the top of the lungs and acts on them quickly. The "proud" and "explode" might give a hint about the type of thoughts they have.My guess is the secretary is also security.That is some kind of superhuman (or supernatural) assassin who wants work in the janitorial service of all things. Maybe business isn't doing so hot, or maybe it is getting too hot right now. Maybe they got tired of the whole killing people thing. Still a janitor, I feel there is an extra bit to the story why they are working there, but I'm not sure from this what it is.-PS238

A troublemaker gadgetteer from, well anywhere they speak slightly differently would follow the idea of the accent. Also young, note the principle's office instead of the boss's office or the police station.

NovenFromTheSun
2018-01-09, 03:53 PM
"What is the penalty for rebellion?"

"Death."

"And what is the penalty for being late?"

"Death."

"Gentleman, we are late."

Cluedrew
2018-01-10, 08:00 PM
-PS238

Optimism! To the very end! The end of ally's sanity at the very least.-PS238

Someone who is has a habit of doing things they shouldn't be doing (hence the anonymous calls), that set things on fire and doesn't bother to go outside. So responsibility is not a strong point. Or foresight or reliability? It hints as some initiative at the very least.-Use Sword on Monster

Some times just accepting the hand wave goes over better if it is beyond even the characters. So have a character who doesn't even pretend to understand. That is just one trait, but it is something.They have some sort of special tattoo and are not very good cover-ups.-Power Ballad

The voice of reason in the group, allowing just enough crazy to get things done, but more often reigning it in before things get out of hand.

eru001
2018-01-15, 10:38 AM
No captain can do very wrong who brings his ship alongside that of the enemy to engage him.
-Horatio Nelson

When lacking for orders, go to the enemy and find something to kill.
-Erich von Manstien

There is but one standing order in my command, attack the enemy at all times and in all available ways.
-George S. Patton

The enemy is there, and there we shall fight him.
-Robert E. Lee

The first time I ever saw a jet aircraft I shot it down
-Chuck Yeager

I have not yet begun to fight
-John Paul Jones

Hellpyre
2018-01-15, 10:19 PM
"Actually, the only thing I'm wondering is how quickly this will be over. My guess? Two minutes.

But then...I always was a pessimist."

eru001
2018-01-20, 12:08 AM

Cluedrew
2018-02-17, 09:13 PM
Sometimes the fool is actually a fool. But that doesn't mean they can't help out, even when it comes to the areas usually reserved for the wise.This one might just save the world because they were bored. I suppose that might be an explanation for an normal getting involved in saving the world. Although there is this odd line you would have to walk between a boring or unproductive life and having some skills to help save the world.-PS238

The unnecessary philosopher, it might be hard to do in live play, and it might be easy to overdo if you could, but I like the idea of a character who can just go on about... the fabric of reality and dreams. Or any strange topic really.-PS238

I did that once, focused on social skills and then put every point I could into starting wealth. But the end of the first session I was the quest giver, most of the PCs (and a number of NPCs) were working for my character. Of course they got most of the glory thereafter, but it was a lot of fun.-PS238

That is a very good question. Especially for any character buried in some strange hidden world. Or a philosophic oddball.This raises some questions about how a not-very-humanoid-sounding creature manages to use forms and techniques designed for a humanoid body. Perhaps they returned to the animal inspirations of some styles. Either way, I suppose if we could watch to find out.

anti-ninja
2018-02-17, 10:29 PM
Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be in the right; but our country, right or wrong.

-Stephen Decatur

eru001
2018-02-17, 11:27 PM
Let me make one thing clear. If I decide to kill you, you'll know, you'll be facing me, and you will be armed.

Malcom Reynolds

eru001
2018-02-26, 12:11 PM
I will not be moved until this battle is decided. Fetch me a tourniquet before I bleed to death.

General Hancock, Union commander at the stone wall defending against Pickett's Charge

Corneel
2018-02-26, 05:20 PM
Is this the Region, this the Soil, the Clime,
Said then the lost Arch-Angel, this the seat
That we must change for Heav’n, this mournful gloom
For that celestial light? Be it so, since he
Who now is Sovran can dispose and bid
What shall be right: fardest from him is best
Whom reason hath equald, force hath made supream
Above his equals. Farewel happy Fields
Where Joy for ever dwells: Hail horrours, hail
Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell
Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
A mind not to be chang’d by Place or Time.
The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heav’n of Hell, a Hell of Heav’n.
What matter where, if I be still the same,
And what I should be, all but less then he
Whom Thunder hath made greater? Here at least
We shall be free; th’ Almighty hath not built
Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure, and in my choyce
To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav’n.
Paradise Lost - John Milton

C'est pire qu'un crime, c'est une faute
Joseph Fouché (Minister of Police and/or the Interior under diverse French regimes after the French Revolution)
(Transl.: "It's worse than a crime, it's a mistake." - What is meant is a political mistake)

Les Girondins tombent, Fouché reste ; Les Jacobins sont traqués, Fouché reste ; le Directoire, le Consulat, l'Empire, la Royauté et encore l'Empire disparaissent et s'effondrent ; mais lui reste toujours debout, lui seul, Fouché, grâce à sa réserve subtile et l'audace qu'il a d'être absolument dépourvu de tout caractère et de pratiquer un manque complet de conviction.
Transl: "The Girondins fall, Fouché remains. The Jacobins are persecuted, Fouché remains; the Directory, the Consulate, the Empire, the Royalty and again the Empire disappear and fall apart; but always he remains standing, he alone, Fouché, thanks to his subtle reserve and the audacity of having absolutely no character and practicing an total lack of conviction."

Quotes of Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand:

On peut violer les lois sans qu'elles crient.
(Transl.: "One can violate/rape the laws without them crying.")

Le meilleur moyen de renverser un gouvernement, c'est d'en faire partie.
(Transl.: "The best way to overthrow a government is to be part of it.")

La parole a été donnée à l’homme pour déguiser sa pensée.
(Transl.: "Men has been given speech to disguise his thoughts.")

Les mécontents, ce sont des pauvres qui réfléchissent.
(Transl.: "Malcontents are poor people that think.")

Soyez à leurs pieds. A leurs genoux... Mais jamais dans leur mains.
(Transl.: "Be at their feet, at their knees... But never in their hands.")

En politique, ce qui est cru devient plus important que ce qui est vrai.
(Transl.: "In politics, what is believed becomes more important than what is true.")

eru001
2018-03-01, 09:00 AM
Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
That here, obediant to their words we lie.

-Inscription at Thermopylae

vasilidor
2018-03-02, 07:55 PM
There is no such thing as overkill. never. ever.
I had part of a slinky once, I straightened it.
it says something about me that of all the burning buildings i have been in over the years, only two were not burned down by me.

Cluedrew
2018-03-02, 10:25 PM
It is nice when I'm not going every other post (or that is how it feels sometimes).

-Use Sword on Monster

A dramatic sort of cleric, they seem to be a little bit offended that they have to explain that. Maybe they come off kind of dry but aren't?-J. Michael Straczynski

Always searching, every fact, story and opinion brings us closer but never quite too the truth behind it all. Sounds more like a wise quest-giver than your average PC, but I think you could make it work.This one might just save the world because they were bored. I suppose that might be an explanation for an normal getting involved in saving the world. Although there is this odd line you would have to walk between a boring or unproductive life and having some skills to help save the world. Why would the former give the later? Maybe they have unconventional hero skills, maybe they get by with dedication, maybe they had a few interesting hobbies.-PS238

I did that once, focused on social skills and then put every point I could into starting wealth. But the end of the first session I was the quest giver, most of the PCs (and a number of NPCs) were working for my character. Of course they got most of the glory thereafter, but it was a lot of fun.

It wasn't a superhero setting though.-Nothing Special

Yeah, fighting is for slow-pokes. At this level it isn't even fear, it is just avoidance of violence through distance as a philosophy. Or maybe it is fear, but I like the idea of a character who would rather run than fight if given the choice, while being capable of both.

Corneel
2018-03-03, 06:04 AM
Men hoeft niet te hopen om iets te ondernemen, noch te slagen om te volharden.
Transl.: "One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere."