PDA

View Full Version : Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Teapot Salty
2015-12-04, 02:36 PM
#1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?357167-Quotes-you-can-build-a-character-off-of)
#2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?390599-Quotes-you-can-build-a-character-off-of-II-It-s-never-as-good-the-second-time-around)
Hey guys, it's been a while since I put one of these up, but they always bring up good discussions and always have wicked awesome quotes.
Pretty simple, you have an epic quote that makes you want to build a character? Comment it. Do the same if their is an awesome piece of artwork that has the same effect on you.

My contribution:

"Learning is especially valuable when suffering is your teacher."

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." -James Mattis

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.-Jedi Code

rooster707
2015-12-04, 02:40 PM
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

The Sith Code

Âmesang
2015-12-04, 03:48 PM
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb. — Spaceballs Code

Some quotes I had picked out for a Pathfiner ranger I once played:

In town you're the law. Out here it's me. — John Rambo, First Blood

'Welcome to my parlor,' said the Spider to the Fly.

And because I love The 13th Warrior so much, honestly one of my favorite descriptions for any enemy ever; the one-eyed old man talking about the Wendol:

"I saw the thing that did this clear enough!

Teeth like a lion, head like a bear, claws that could tear a plank to kindling.

They come in the night, in the mist. Always in the darkest, like they could see in the black."

"Did they go on two legs or four?"

"It seems they did both, like a thing that was both man and bear. Though, myself, I cannot tell.

I saw the glowwyrm, though. Saw it clear. We all did on the last night. Saw it come down out of the hills, through the mist. Slithering this way and that. Long as a hundred ships. Spitting fire at us as it came!

My father's father always warned of it. Said it was a hate from old times…"

Rakoa
2015-12-04, 05:03 PM
"If I can't be the best then I can certainly be the worst."

Cluedrew
2015-12-04, 05:35 PM
Why is there a new thread? The last one is still active. It got a post only a week ago.

"I was born Wilhelm III, raised Ricky, praised Sir Wilhelm the Unconquerable, condemned Wilhelm the Coward and now I live as Old Richard. Haven't decided what is going on my tombstone."

Teapot Salty
2015-12-04, 07:20 PM
Why is there a new thread? The last one is still active. It got a post only a week ago.

"I was born Wilhelm III, raised Ricky, praised Sir Wilhelm the Unconquerable, condemned Wilhelm the Coward and now I live as Old Richard. Haven't decided what is going on my tombstone."

Serves me right for not checking a page back, honestly it's been so long since I've been on the forum, I just assumed it died. (I'm an idiot)
Regardless this gives me an excuse to make sure the thread has a slightly cooler name, and hopefully people will submit artwork since I put the prompt in the op.

"It hits like a truck trucking trucking trucks"-Me

8BitNinja
2015-12-05, 07:48 PM
"Soldiers of Fortune, charged with crimes they did not commit"
-A Team

You could make a Fighter based off of Mr. T and call everyone and everything Foo

It would be even better if everyone except Mr. T was actually named Foo

:biggrin:

Âmesang
2015-12-05, 07:52 PM
So would that make Mr. T and the A-Team "Foo' Fighters?" :smalltongue: Let's hope they don't have Exotic Weapon Proficiency (monkey wrench).

GPuzzle
2015-12-05, 08:11 PM
"I am Banquo, I am Julius Caesar!" - Ghost Cassette, Scissorborn.

I like the idea of a villain with megalomany but that isn't obsessed with being the first in power - but rather the one the patriarch of a house filled with kings and emperors. A small twist on megalomany.

Madbox
2015-12-06, 08:46 PM
"Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, I hurt people. I'm a force of nature!"
-Scout from TF2, could apply to a druid.

"I'm a cleaner. I can see a cold, dead body and feel no remorse. "
-Garcian Smith, Killer7. Any assassin.

"Information is not Knowledge. Knowledge is not Wisdom. Wisdom is not Truth. Truth is not Beauty, Beauty is not Love. Love is not Music. Music is the best."
-Frank Zappa, good for a true neutral or chaotic neutral bard.

8BitNinja
2015-12-06, 10:28 PM
So would that make Mr. T and the A-Team "Foo' Fighters?" :smalltongue: Let's hope they don't have Exotic Weapon Proficiency (monkey wrench).

What else do you think they would have?

Draconium
2015-12-06, 10:55 PM
"Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Read books, become evil."
-Some random picture I saw on the Internet

Seriously, if you're ever gonna play an evil wizard, play him based off of that. :smalltongue:

8BitNinja
2015-12-06, 11:17 PM
"Feel my righteous fury"
- Butters Stotch, South Park and the Stick of Truth
- Lawful Good anything

ImNotTrevor
2015-12-07, 03:52 PM
"It's a beautiful day. Birds are singing. Flowers are blooming. On days like these, kids like you....should be burning in hell."
-Undertale

"I don't need friends! I've got knives!"
-Also Undertale

"Build me a son, O Lord, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak, and brave enough to face himself when he is afraid, one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, and humble and gentle in victory."
-Douglas McArthur

8BitNinja
2015-12-07, 04:45 PM
"Just wait till I find me nail-gun!"
- Worms
- A good one for a rogue or assassin

Adderbane
2015-12-07, 07:34 PM
[BBEG] plays chess. I mean to do some boxing. --Admiral Calder, Blue Planet: War in Heaven

MintyNinja
2015-12-07, 07:34 PM
"I am not a fish-man! The next one of you who suggests so will be drowned!"
-A water genasi sailor raised by merfolk dealing with a party of landlubbers.
Yes, I could cast Create Water as a racial ability.

8BitNinja
2015-12-07, 07:58 PM
The 30 Point buck song

Look it up, perfect, ranger idea especially if you have low intelligence

Cluedrew
2015-12-12, 03:47 PM
First the quote I 'pitched' on the old thread, then some new ones.
There were some other interpretations of this on the last thread. Mine is actually somewhere in between, someone who is normally calm and controlled but sometimes the can go crazy. In this case the crazy seems to come out when they are driving. The are both aware of that and so they check for the seat belts now.

I got this quote, and that interpretation, from a very particular scene. A more famous version of the scene appears in MIB, when the old agent gets into the car with is new partner for the first time. Actually speaking of MIB.-MIB: Agent K

Besides the very real possibility that I am a figment of your imagination, with magic and psychics who can say for sure, this is the spy. Or really anyone who does not exist on the record, as in 'I might as well be a hallucination as you will never prove I exist'. It is also encapsulated on a higher/organizational level with another quote from that movie.

"We are they, we are them, we are the men in black." -MIB: Agent Z

Now, although this is a rather common characterisation I feel like highlighting it because it is something most games will never achieve. Even of the spy games I have seen generally involve far to much collateral damage for anyone to "not exist".
-MIB: Agent J

First the straight forward "original" way to look at it: The new guy who is 10% competence and 90% confidence. I suppose not a bad place to start but not a place a character should stay. If they actually know what they are talking about then maybe they do make the place look good, or are speaking to someone who makes this place look bad. Or the NPC PR representative who has to clean up the mess the PCs made. Again..' 'You don't know that my feet-' 'Yes I do. Now move them.'"]
Here we have two characters. One seems to be a ball of attitude and ego and the other seems to know how to handle that just fine. In addition person 2 seems to have told person 1 to move their feet main times. I sort of like that dynamic and... inter-character dynamics are something lacking in the games I have played.

Also [dash board] was originally console, I though this might make more sense of context.
I have an idea for a game, sort of like pitching quotes and coming up with the character, but this time it more the other way around. Pitch a archetype and then propose quotes to represent variants of the archetype. I suggest this both because it is different from what we usually do and because people might find that useful if they are looking for inspiration within a certain category. Or not. How does that sound?

Madbox
2015-12-14, 12:54 AM
"God power keeps my pimp hand strong."
"You can wax on, wax off all you like. I'm still kicking your ass."
- Gene, God Hand

Either works well for an arrogant monk, first one could also apply to a paladin or cleric.

Lagren
2015-12-14, 01:44 AM
"I've got to start listening to those quiet, nagging doubts."

- Calvin

"I don't remotely agree with his politics, but he hates the right people, and that's enough."

- Dunno I

"Beware, demon!" he intoned hollowly. "I am not without defenses."
"Oh yeah? Name three."

- Robert Asprin, Another Fine Myth

8BitNinja
2015-12-14, 01:27 PM
"Snipin's a good job mate, it's challenging work, out of doors, and you'll never go hungry, because at the end of the day, as long as there two people left on the planet, someone is gonna want someone dead"
- Sniper, Team Fortress 2

Probably a good one for an assassin or rogue

Jorren
2015-12-14, 06:02 PM
"This is the nature of war, whose stake is at once the game and the authority and the justification. Seen so, war is the truest form of divination. It is the testing of one's will and the will of another within that larger will which because it binds them is therefore forced to select. War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence. War is god."

- Judge Holden from Blood Meridian

Âmesang
2015-12-14, 08:15 PM
I bring you a pain that not even death will end! — The Ultimate Warrior, Warrior #1

Madbox
2015-12-14, 08:50 PM
Don't risk your life and the lives of your comrades
Leave now and go home
Watch your children learn
Do not invite your own destruction
This is a road of no return
-"From Here on Out," by KMFDM
Good for a fighter who goes for intimidation, maybe LE.

8BitNinja
2015-12-15, 01:26 PM
"To the righteous we bring hope. To the tainted we bring fire."
— Castellan Garran Crowe of the Grey Knights

Great one for a Paladin

Madbox
2015-12-15, 09:52 PM
"I chase electron orbits, you think I can't find you?"(Scientist PC)
"You can never prove the absence of ninjas, you can only prove their direct presence. "(Ninja/assassin PC)
-both said by Gordon Freeman, Freeman's Mind

8BitNinja
2015-12-16, 09:36 AM
OOR RAH
- US Marine Battle Cry

Pretty good for a fighter, probably just base him off of a marine and make him so murican that all he will want to do is eat hamburgers, watch baseball, listen to country music and kill the communists with all his guns

(Keep in mind I DO NOT hold this stereotype of Americans, I am one, but I don't fit this list, I don't feel like eating a hamburger every day)

Teapot Salty
2015-12-18, 09:44 PM
I don't think you understand son, this isn't a mud pit, it's an operating table, and I'm the surgeon.-Batman, the Dark Knight Returns pt. 1

The harder I train, the luckier I get.

dramatic flare
2015-12-26, 03:16 AM
Just a handful of book learnin', and a whole LOT of lockpicks.
- Elizabeth, Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Ep. 2

God forgives everything, but I'm just a prophet, so I don't have to.
- Zachary Comstock, Bioshock Infinite

God judges, I act.
- Motorized Patriot, Bioshock Infinite

DCraw
2015-12-26, 05:12 AM
For a Paladin:
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

goto124
2015-12-26, 05:33 AM
Which kind of paladin: the lawful GOOD kind, or the LAWFUL good kind?

Cluedrew
2015-12-26, 09:50 PM
This one really changes depending on the tone of voice that the second part is delivered with.

If the voice is snarky or humorous, it is someone pointing out that you don't know about hell and probably shouldn't be speaking with such authority, or that you are blowing something out of proportion. The type to deliver one liners and point out flaws in logic.

However if the voice is tinged with fear and madness then it becomes someone who knows and has suffered the furry of hell.

My favourite, the voice is wary and unimpressed, not only have they seen the furry of hell and endured but this has absolutely nothing on it. Been everywhere seen everything and is alive and sane to talk about it.There is a level of self awareness to this one, either they are crazy and know it (and are using some word play to express it) or they see things just a little bit differently/more clearly but are aware that it doesn't always make sense to the people around them.

Playing a character like this might be tricky but it might work quite well with an insight ability that grants information to the player, but doesn't always explain exactly where that comes from.Could be almost humble PC, in over their head but in a critical position where they can make a difference. Or could be a similarly situated but better equipped NPC that the PCs have to get to tip the scales one way or the other.

The other way to view it is someone is being ironic, like some sort of underworld boss who completely controls the situation. Still seems to be the type whose room is laid out according to feng shui, but maybe not.Not all strength is brutality and maybe the strong man has a heart of gold.

I'm going artistic with this one.-Kung Fu Panda

Now besides playing the big fat anthropomorphic panda (bonus if it uses kung fu, fights racism or eats, shoots and leaves) it could really speaks of someone who holds there oddities, especially the ones society would generally look down on, close and with pride. Disability, racial minority, obesity, whatever.This one is interesting because it is basically classic Chaotic Good, right up until the last line. Then it becomes a little bit more confusing. Something is changing and since law changes more than good (unless you are really deep into chaotic evil) I guess they are changing the law. Not just a rebel, but a revolutionary. Strictly by my connotations of the words, but instead of just resisting they are try and shape the whole world.

Also this puts a very political slant on the character. Not in for some political view necessary but most adventures aren't interested in drafting up a new set of laws. So they seem to be a thoughtful, forward thinking and planner type, which puts a lawful spin on a chaotic goal.
Also I would like to pitch to the Playground: "I'm on no one's side, not even my own."

Thisguy_
2015-12-26, 10:40 PM
"You can't do that." "Yes I can! I just proved it!"

"That's against the law!" "I'm against the law."

"I may be drunk, miss, but in the morning, I will still be sober, and you will still be ugly." (Churchill for ya.)

"Shut the **** up and let me die in peace." (From BB, good to start a "You're goin' to hell" campaign.)

Âmesang
2015-12-26, 11:37 PM
Some villainous quotes that've always stuck in my mind. Adjust to taste:

You shouldn't shoot me, Johnny. My grandmother shot me once… Once.
— Danny Vermin, Johnny Dangerously

You both seem bound and determined to meet destruction at my hands. So be it. I'll fight you on your own level! Come on!!
— M.Bison (Vega), Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie

For a time I considered sparing your wretched, little planet, Cybertron; but now you shall witness its dismemberment!!
— Unicron, Transformers: The Movie

Excession
2015-12-27, 12:29 AM
I have a blackness that comes upon me where even the God of War would not venture.
I've done many bad things.
I told you, do not mistake me for a good man.
I am not the hero from the stories.
I am the monster.
— "The Warrior", translated from the Māori language film The Dead Lands (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3399916/?ref_=nv_sr_4)

Jesse Booth
2015-12-27, 02:03 AM
It's not what inspired my character, but it's his most defining quote so far:

*sits down in a chair before a prisoner, cracks neck*

"You have information I want, and I'm not leaving without it. Now we can do this the easy way, or the fun way."

*cracks knuckles & begins to get out rusty/bloody torture tools*

"I recommend the fun way!"

-my Gnoll Warlord, Yautja

Teapot Salty
2016-01-05, 01:37 AM
"I actually think I'm a hell of a nice guy...but work gets in the way, and sometimes you have to get your hands dirty." *Grins*

8BitNinja
2016-01-05, 10:19 AM
Fire! Fire! Fire!
- Scout, Team Fortress 2

Probably good for a wizard

DCraw
2016-01-06, 06:50 AM
For a BBEG (although coming from a LG hero describing the BBEG)
"Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot, those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged"

comicshorse
2016-01-06, 08:33 AM
" I really need to restructure my life so I can spend more time reading abstracts and less time punching dinosaurs "

Atomic Robo

JAL_1138
2016-01-06, 09:31 AM
"Mercy is the mark of a great man." *STAB*
"Guess I'm just a good man." *STAB*
"Well, I'm all right." *STAB*
--Captain Mal Reynolds, Firefly

8BitNinja
2016-01-07, 01:28 PM
I have a good one from Pathfinder in my signature

any Lawful Good hero, but I love basing any LG quote on Paladins, Clerics, or Rangers

Teapot Salty
2016-01-12, 01:57 AM
Just because perfection is unattainable is no excuse not to strive for it.-One of my personal creeds and a good one for a Paladin or monk.

We're not here to take part, we're here to take over!-Conner McGregor

goto124
2016-01-12, 02:07 AM
I was listening to the Nobody Can Drag Me Down song.

Probably horrible for any PC in a team campaign, but great for loners who won't take any nonsense.

JAL_1138
2016-01-12, 09:57 AM
In honor of David Bowie, may he rest in peace:
"We can be heroes, just for one day."

8BitNinja
2016-01-12, 02:38 PM
"Light can do a lot of things. It can illuminate. It can welcome. It can warm. As it turns out, it can also make laser beams that slice through protosteel."

- Takanuva, BIONICLE

Paladin or good-aligned cleric

Teapot Salty
2016-01-15, 09:19 PM
The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle. Great for a fighter.

Oh, this is indeed an interesting turn of events. Crazy sorcerer anyone?

The dark is my ocean, I'm a shark, and you, can't, swim. Stealth based characters.

goto124
2016-01-17, 02:30 AM
"Oh, this is indeed an interesting turn of events" works for pretty much any adventurer.

And maybe even the DM :smallbiggrin:

ji6
2016-01-17, 02:40 AM
As you said image as well...

https://41.media.tumblr.com/fe0832514bb7eee62deabab1c303a38e/tumblr_mom9860if51qcecnbo9_1280.jpg

For some reason, seeing that image reminds me a lot of Tuco....

But if you miss you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco. Nothing!
When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

Teapot Salty
2016-01-17, 04:16 PM
As you said image as well...

https://41.media.tumblr.com/fe0832514bb7eee62deabab1c303a38e/tumblr_mom9860if51qcecnbo9_1280.jpg

For some reason, seeing that image reminds me a lot of Tuco....

Hooray for Images!

All men must die, all men must serve The faceless men.

M0rdecai[QC]
2016-01-17, 08:09 PM
One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask...
...what dreams of chronic and sustained cruelty?

-The Spy, Team Fortress 2

Argo
2016-01-18, 01:39 PM
As far as building an interesting RPG character, there are few things more telling than their perspective on LIES, GLORY, VENGEANCE, JUSTICE, and BATTLE.

I coined this first one in play, and it’s still one of my favorite moments ever at a table:

"Honesty is the best policy... but deception works in a pinch."
―Glimrick "Doubletongue" Brangle, Gnome Bard

“I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.”
― Al Pacino

“Never attempt to win by force what can be won by deception.”
― Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince

Deception and misdirection are our tools. We don’t believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bull**** can do so much more.”
― Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora

“Lies are just stories, and stories are all that matter. We all tell stories. Some are more truthful than others, maybe, but in the end the only thing that counts is what you can make people believe.”
― Lauren Oliver, Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven

“Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead.”
-Darth Revan

Glory is for cowards, too afraid to let their names die.”
― Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Butcher's Nails

“To shift a few grains of sand is no more a sign of great strength than to see the sun a sign of great sight. There is no glory in dominating the weak.”
― Peter V. Brett, The Desert Spear

“I'm a fighter. I believe in the eye-for-an-eye business. I'm no cheek turner. I got no respect for a man who won't hit back. You kill my dog, you better hide your cat.” ― Muhammad Ali

“Vengeance is sweet. Vengeance taken when the vengee isn't sure who the venger is, is sweeter still.”
― Gary D. Schmidt, The Wednesday Wars

“Tomorrow, in the fields of my kingdom, may you have a happy battle. May your kingly hands be terrible in weaving the sword stuff. May those opposing your sword become meat for the red swan. May your many gods glut you with glory, may they glut you with blood. Victorious may you be in the dawn. Of your many days may none shine bright as tomorrow. Because that day will be the last. I swear it to you. For before its light is blotted, I shall vanquish you and blot you out.”
― Jorge Luis Borges, Dreamtigers

If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“nobody’s ever been arrested for a murder; they have only ever been arrested for not planning it properly.”
― Terry Hayes, I Am Pilgrim

We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm.”
― Matthew Woodring Stover,

“That joy. That madness. The gods must feel this way every moment of every day. It is as if the world slows. You see the attacker, you see him shouting, though you hear nothing, and you know what he will do, and all his movements are so slow and yours are so quick, and in that moment you can do no wrong and you will live forever and your name will be blazoned across the heavens in a glory of white fire because you are the god of battle.”
― Bernard Cornwell

“Does that have to go in?” Lada asked.

“What do you mean?” Wistala said, brought back to the dictation.

“The battle. Betrayals. Incompetence, even cowardice. Boats falling, mud everywhere, blood running from balconies, carrion birds poking marrow from bones, dwarves hanging from bridges, burned corpses, but worst of all, no hero whose courage and skill is put to the ultimate test.”

“They asked for a history, they shall have my history. If someone else will have the battle take place on a spring-green field with pennants at the lance points and songs sung over the honored dead, let them write it thus. This history is a story of death begetting death, and should end with carrion birds, for they are the only ones who come out the better at the end.”
― E.E. Knight, [I]Dragon Avenger

“Other folk thought the Rage was simple bloodlust, a berserk savagery that neither knew nor cared what its target was, and so it was when it struck without warning. But when a hradani gave himself to it knowingly, it was as cold as it was hot, as rational as it was lethal. To embrace the Rage was to embrace a splendor, a glory, a denial of all restraint but not of reason. It was pure, elemental purpose, unencumbered by compassion or horror or pity, yet it was far more than mere frenzy.”
― David Weber, Oath of Swords

goto124
2016-01-19, 06:11 AM
"With great power, comes great irresponsibility." - Deadpool (https://i.imgur.com/Ko9SwgS.jpg) (not sure if the poster is real or fan-made, doesn't matter for the sake of quotes though)

Fitting for an anti-hero who finds fun in many things.

Eno Remnant
2016-01-19, 06:43 AM
The song "God Syndrome" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXCCs7U_1DE) (Nightcore version, just think it fits better) by Madame Macabre is full of quotes, and is itself an overall adequate theme, for a Lawful Neutral character gone wrong. Like, delusions of divine purpose and wholesale slaughter wrong.

"Discord" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPfMb50dsOk) by Eurobeat Brony (personal preference for the techno remix, thus its use) is a good one for a Chaotic Good freedom fighter.

Cluedrew
2016-01-20, 06:45 PM
Just because perfection is unattainable is no excuse not to strive for it.
-One of my personal creeds and a good one for a Paladin or monk.I have an actual question about this one. Does anybody know the original source? I've had to attribute it to "the paladin". I like this one two, good for anyone who focuses on self improvement.

The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.
Great for a fighter.I felt I had to comment on this as I know some martial artists (so more monks) who use this one. Well they have a variant: "It is better to sweat in training than to bleed in battle." Good for any martial who constantly refine their skills.

-Espirt15

Blood minded determination. It originally came up in a discussion about the Barbarian's rage, however personally I feel it is more about determination.Lawful Evil type, probably a tyrant type that have some very strict rules, but if you follow them you will be fine. This might make for a good long term villain as you may be able to operate under their shadow for a time without getting immediately crushed.

I think there could also be a sympathetic slant to this one.-James Bond: Tomorrow Never Dies

This is one of the most genius evil lines I have ever heard. (Although I have never seen the movie.) "Killing people is my job, hurting them is my joy." Except stated more elegantly. This is they type of villain that the players should feel good about offing.-The Specialists: ?

He might be bragging a bit but at the same time it strikes me as a very simple statement of his skill. I am stealthy, you will never see me if I don't want you to.

Comment about the same character.

He can hide his thoughts, with only a thought.
He's so secretive, that even his own mother doesn't know what he looks like.
The Illuminati are being controlled by him.
He is...
The Sneakiest Man in the World-Michael Terraccian

A nice statement, but also one that ties together some stuff about nature. Sort of an optimistic druid type. Except futuristic. Space druids anyone?-Hero Oh Hero

One who revels in being strong. I say this because it is not a taunt, it isn't quite a declaration of victory. It is merely a nonsensical statement of one's own strength. Revelling in strength, not so much in logic.
Also, the other day I actually did make a character with one of these quotes, to be exact: "For hell has no fury like a-" "Ever been to hell", using the "been everywhere, survived everything" interpretation.

Ailowynn
2016-01-20, 07:34 PM
I always like song quotes for characters.

"I'm the Son of Rage and Love/The Jesus of Suburbia"

"I'm the patron saint of denial"

"There's a lady who's sure/All that glitters is gold/And she's buying a stairway to heaven"

"Johnny, resin up your bow and play that fiddle hard/'Cause hell's broke loose in Georgia and the devil deals it hard/And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold/But if you lose, the devil gets your soul!" (C'mon . . . what every bard wants to be ;P)

And the like.

Teapot Salty
2016-01-20, 10:21 PM
I have an actual question about this one. Does anybody know the original source? I've had to attribute it to "the paladin". I like this one two, good for anyone who focuses on self improvement.

I felt I had to comment on this as I know some martial artists (so more monks) who use this one. Well they have a variant: "It is better to sweat in training than to bleed in battle." Good for any martial who constantly refine their skills.

-Espirt15

Blood minded determination. It originally came up in a discussion about the Barbarian's rage, however personally I feel it is more about determination.Lawful Evil type, probably a tyrant type that have some very strict rules, but if you follow them you will be fine. This might make for a good long term villain as you may be able to operate under their shadow for a time without getting immediately crushed.

I think there could also be a sympathetic slant to this one.-James Bond: Tomorrow Never Dies

This is one of the most genius evil lines I have ever heard. (Although I have never seen the movie.) "Killing people is my job, hurting them is my joy." Except stated more elegantly. This is they type of villain that the players should feel good about offing.-The Specialists: ?

He might be bragging a bit but at the same time it strikes me as a very simple statement of his skill. I am stealthy, you will never see me if I don't want you to.

Comment about the same character.
-Michael Terraccian

A nice statement, but also one that ties together some stuff about nature. Sort of an optimistic druid type. Except futuristic. Space druids anyone?-Hero Oh Hero

One who revels in being strong. I say this because it is not a taunt, it isn't quite a declaration of victory. It is merely a nonsensical statement of one's own strength. Revelling in strength, not so much in logic.
Also, the other day I actually did make a character with one of these quotes, to be exact: "For hell has no fury like a-" "Ever been to hell", using the "been everywhere, survived everything" interpretation.

I was just talking to someone about how no one seems to remember the source for the perfection quote, but I originally saw it in a paladin meme (of all places!)

The intro to Tribe Society's Kings is one of my personal favorites: Running with all my brothers/I always wondered how far we could go/if we could break through the ceiling above us/there'd be no point in us looking below

Sam113097
2016-01-21, 11:45 PM
“I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep. You may have heard of me.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

Teapot Salty
2016-01-26, 10:01 PM
Attack me if you must, but remember, I am old for a reason.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless. You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend-Bruce Lee

Ragnell-Master
2016-01-26, 11:15 PM
"What are you going to do?" "Same thing I always do, talk my way out of it."-Han Solo
Great quote to describe the Charisma focused talking skill efficient characters. From Persuasion to Diplomacy. One of my favorite types of characters to RP being able to get out of conflict just by being convincing.

Sredni Vashtar
2016-02-03, 08:51 PM
One line that keeps kicking around in my head: "In the war between Heaven and Hell, I stand with the Earth."

Would be a good basis for a Druid.

ElFi
2016-02-03, 09:25 PM
"Old? Did you just call me old? Well, junebug, I prefer the term experienced!"
-Vitruvius, The Lego Movie
An older character who can kick ass right alongside the young'uns.

"I am a shark. A shark who dreamed he was a man."
-Evan Walker, The Fifth Wave
An evil character who befriends someone good and starts having doubts about their choices.

"I will never, ever turn my back on the people who need me!"
-Katara, Avatar: The Last Airbender
It fits a paladin, cleric, or another otherwise altruistic character well, but can fit anyone Good-aligned so long as they have the 'help the helpless' mentality.

"Just because I'm a pacifist doesn't mean I'm not willing to defend myself!"
-Duchess Satine, Star Wars: the Clone Wars
It's self-explanatory, I think.

"What better laboratory than the blood-soaked battlefield?"
-The Plague Doctor, Darkest Dungeon
A doctor or other healing-oriented character with darker intentions.

Madbox
2016-02-03, 09:34 PM
"So be it, send your armies. There's no man or machine who can stop me, and you'll soon see.
I come for vengeance for the first Son of Light and I'm ready, and I'm willing, and I'm prepared to fight."
-"Vengeance", by The Protomen. Good for a Vengeance Paladin, or any character motivated by thirst for revenge.

Sam113097
2016-02-05, 12:32 AM
The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.
-Otto von Bismarck
For a fighter or barbarian.

Teapot Salty
2016-02-19, 10:23 PM
Surprise! You've got no legs!

I am going to boop you so hard...

Justice, Bravery, Benevolence, Veracity, Class, Honor, Loyalty-Code of Bushido.

goto124
2016-02-20, 01:17 AM
"Justice, Bravery, Benevolence, Veracity, Class, Honor, Loyalty, Penguins"

"Penguins" can be replaced with other non-sequiturs such as "women", "eggs", or "monkeys".

Cluedrew
2016-02-20, 09:09 AM
-Sam & Fuzzy

I find this very descriptive of someone in over their head, the normal thrown into a new dangers world, desperately doing what they have to do but not feeling good about it. It is one thing to feel bad about something, but it says something more if one actually apologises for it.
Someone of neutral alignment. Not an evil person, but willing to do terrible things if there is a reason for it. Not a good person, but will do heroic things for the warm feelings sometimes.

For some reason this makes me think of what your typical "chaotic stupid" was supposed to be. Or at least the ones that were more than simple excuses.
This one has no sense of art or drama. Also seems to be quite happy to go completely overboard with something. A duel implies something one-on-one, that is not something you would generally need a bomber for. But there is no kill, like overkill, so why subject yourself to the slightest bit of danger when you can go completely overboard?
-Tales of Pylea

Use the tools that you know and are good at. If stabbing / whacking things is what your good at, why not use it to solve problems? Well there are a number of reasons, but they have chosen to ignore all of them and use violence anyways.

A brute of a warrior is the first thing that jumps to mind. However I could also see a comedic lawful evil type who goes "get the assassins" every single time something comes up coming from this.
Watch I'll kill that guy over there right now."]-Sam & Fuzzy

Callus disregard for life, a high degree of skill when it comes to fighting and killing and pride in that fact. Also a humours presentation of the idea.
-My Mom

Although they could just be a passive observer (or a modern artist) I'm going to go with someone who actively breaks things. The first things that came to mind were buildings. So I am going to go with some crazed artist demolitionist. A revolutionary/ terrorist/ freedom fighter (not sure where that part came from, just the image I got in my head) to uses explosives to make art, in the explosions and in the ruins.

The simplest way to very this one is to change what is broken. Psychopathic torturer with broken humans for instance.
-The New Yesterday

Well it is hard to write a player character that has no freedom and then actually play it. It could be an NPC I suppose. My best idea for this one is a breakout of jail start to the story. When the characters go around and say how the got in jail, one can say, "I went to jail on purpose." You will have to pick an appropriate crime, but it mixes up the usual petty thief, wrong place at the wrong time & framed options.

goto124
2016-02-20, 09:54 AM
-Sam & Fuzzy

I find this very descriptive of someone in over their head, the normal thrown into a new dangers world, desperately doing what they have to do but not feeling good about it. It is one thing to feel bad about something, but it says something more if one actually apologises for it.

The person doesn't actually feel bad about it, but is just a playful and loopy type.

-The New Yesterday

Well it is hard to write a player character that has no freedom and then actually play it. It could be an NPC I suppose. My best idea for this one is a breakout of jail start to the story. When the characters go around and say how the got in jail, one can say, "I went to jail on purpose." You will have to pick an appropriate crime, but it mixes up the usual petty thief, wrong place at the wrong time & framed options.

Great concept for a Warlock! :smallbiggrin:

Madbox
2016-02-20, 10:38 AM
-My Mom

Although they could just be a passive observer (or a modern artist) I'm going to go with someone who actively breaks things. The first things that came to mind were buildings. So I am going to go with some crazed artist demolitionist. A revolutionary/ terrorist/ freedom fighter (not sure where that part came from, just the image I got in my head) to uses explosives to make art, in the explosions and in the ruins.

The simplest way to very this one is to change what is broken. Psychopathic torturer with broken humans for instance.
Wait, by WHO?:smalleek:

Also:

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Suitable for a chaotic good character. Someone who doesn't want a group's dogma to overrule common sense.

Cluedrew
2016-02-20, 11:58 AM
The person doesn't actually feel bad about it, but is just a playful and loopy type.Also possible, I chose 'my' interpretation for two reasons: one it is a generalization of what it meant in the original context, so that biases me. Secondly because of the part in the middle, about the response to the action. This is completely out of character for Crush, but this is exactly how Crush would do something like this. But then I don't claim to have the correct interpretation. Actually I don't claim that there is a correct interpretation.

There are a lot of quotes you could get multiple characters of from bits of phasing. Plus how, when and why they are all said is often lost with the straight text. So that gives us even more leeway it interpreting them.

And Madbox: Yeah that isn't a weird movie name.

Belac93
2016-02-21, 08:30 PM
Ah, good. I like this idea. Here is my dump. Not sure where all of them are, been collecting them for about 3 years. I think most of them could make good characters.

Imagine if they were all one character. Poor BBEG:smalleek:

“Servants in heaven, kings in hell”

"Sir, a man fights for what he lacks the most."

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

“I like a man who grins when he fights”

“Any Officer who goes into battle without his sword is improperly dressed.”

“I have been one acquainted with the night.”

I’m an adventurer, not a hero.

"Death smiles upon us all, all a man can do is smile back."

"Jack of all trades, master of none, Often times better than a master of one"

“All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.”

Rakoa
2016-02-21, 11:03 PM
Through the flames you see me
You'll be mine, believe me

goto124
2016-02-22, 12:30 AM
- Overly Attached Stalker who may be a firemage. Or an arsonist.

Rakoa
2016-02-22, 08:38 AM
- Overly Attached Stalker who may be a firemage. Or an arsonist.

Yes, precisely!

To go along with it...

I'll hold you my love and never let go
I'll hold you my love and I'll never tire
I'll hold you my love by the throat
I'll hold you my love over the fire
So breathe with me, love; only love will work now
Hold onto my love like it was stolen

8BitNinja
2016-02-22, 07:10 PM
Haven't posted in a while but

"I cast magic missile at the darkness"

Lawful Good Sorcerer

+50 EXP for all who get the reference

Belac93
2016-02-22, 11:43 PM
“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
Seems good for a bard.

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”
CN. Or pretty much any PC.

Not all those who wander are lost
Ranger. I believe there is even a 5e guide to rangers by that name somewhere.

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
This should be the motto of pretty much any adventurer.

8BitNinja
2016-02-24, 02:39 PM
"Glory to Arstozka"- Papers Please

any Lawful Neutral character

goto124
2016-02-24, 08:23 PM
I thought "Papers Please" was part of the quote, which matches the Lawful Neutrality even more :smalltongue:

"GLORY TO ARSTOZKA!... papers please."

Madbox
2016-02-25, 12:29 PM
Imagine: a lawful neutral kingdom, that incorporates bureaucratic phrases into mottoes and slogans.

"Glory to Arstozka! Papers, please."

"Long live the King! The white zone is for loading and unloading only."

"The City of Commerce. Fill out Form 87c in triplicate and submit for your operating license."

8BitNinja
2016-02-25, 01:31 PM
I thought "Papers Please" was part of the quote, which matches the Lawful Neutrality even more :smalltongue:

"GLORY TO ARSTOZKA!... papers please."

If you really want to

If you want to stay with the theme, a rogue based off of Jorji Costava would be fun to see

Probably CN, Human, no religious affiliation

Stats (speculation)

STR: 10
DEX: 10
CON: 8
WIS: 3
INT: 3
CHA: 18

Skills:

Appraise
Bluff
Diplomacy
Forgery
Escape Artist
Hide
Knowledge (Local)
Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty)
Profession (Drug Dealer)
Speak Language (Kolechian)
Craft

Feats:

Iron Will
Negotiator

Just a guess

JAL_1138
2016-02-25, 03:28 PM
"One day the magic will come back. All of it. Everyone will be just like they were. The shadows will part, and the skies will open wide." --Sandal Feddic

sktarq
2016-02-25, 05:23 PM
Modern Day games:
Monty Python's Law of TV Morality:

There is nothing wrong with sex on TV, as long as you don't fall off."

EDIT: and this good grief this IS my basis basis of gaming: "His general response to being challenged to a duel is to call in an air strike."

goto124
2016-02-25, 11:37 PM
Considering how thin modern-day TVs are, I'm not sure how it's pulled off :smalltongue:

8BitNinja
2016-02-26, 09:25 AM
Considering how thin modern-day TVs are, I'm not sure how it's pulled off :smalltongue:

Probably crickets or something similar can get away with it

goto124
2016-02-26, 09:49 AM
I don't get it.

*cricket sounds*

Oh, you mean the insects on the TV?

8BitNinja
2016-02-26, 09:52 AM
It has begun

the crickets and the derailing

Belac93
2016-02-27, 02:47 AM
Some more.

"The moment their arms spun freely in our air, they were doomed - for man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally bat**** insane."
-xkcd

“The object isn't to score points, it's to stop the other guy hitting you as quickly as possible.”
-Diskworld: the nightwatch

"Druidic angels are all f***ing bears. *So are their demons."
-Goblin punch

“You're one third bad intentions, one third pure avarice, and one eighth sawdust. What's left, I'll credit, must be brains.”
-The lies of Locke Lamora

“I've got kids that enjoy stealing. I've got kids that don't think about stealing one way or the other, and I've got kids that just tolerate stealing because they know they've got nothing else to do. But nobody--and I mean nobody--has ever been hungry for it like this boy. If he had a bloody gash across his throat and a physiker was trying to sew it up, Lamora would steal the needle and thread and die laughing. He...steals too much.”
-The lies of Locke Lamora

“The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four people is suffering from a mental illness. Look at your 3 best friends. If they're ok, then it's you.”
-?

"There's a million reasons why that is not going to work."
"Dun vorry--dere's three reasons it iz."
-Girl Genius

You cannot possibly be as stupid as you act."
"...Ken if I vants to be!"
-Girl Genius

“Even as a child, she had preferred night to day, had enjoyed sitting out in the yard after sunset, under the star-speckled sky listening to frogs and crickets. Darkness soothed. It softened the sharp edges of the world, toned down the too-harsh colours. With the coming of twilight, the sky seemed to recede; the universe expanded. The night was bigger than the day, and in its realm, life seemed to have more possibilities.”
-?

“The right liar in the right place can deal more damage than a hundred swordsmen”
-?

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth.
-?

"Winning isn't everything. The will to win is the only thing."
-Saying

"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."
-V for Vendetta

SarcasticDom
2016-02-27, 06:12 AM
"No damn man kills me and lives." - Nathan Bedford Forrest

"I have a cunning plan, sir." - Baldrick, perfect for low int Rogues

"Anger is one of the sinews of the soul; he that wants it hath a maimed mind." - Thomas Fuller

goto124
2016-02-27, 07:24 AM
"No damn man kills me and lives." - Nathan Bedford Forrest

Meanwhile, in another thread:

Here lies Brad the Bard, victim of an woman (https://49.media.tumblr.com/d357f4a1fabf440f342c8f960cfc1d50/tumblr_njwk5yUumz1r58ng6o1_500.gif) with a +5 dagger

Cluedrew
2016-02-27, 08:40 AM
-Silver

I like this as a descriptions of the of few words archetype. That can be hard to do well in a role playing game unless you are really good at communicating body language. Or spend a lot of time on your phone. Either way.
The next two not actually from the songs I quoted. I feel the lines are representative of the songs but as far as I know, the lines to not actually appear in the lyrics.
~Megalomaniac

I actually already did this one. This quote became a loud, proud & playful (fight the super boredom) demolitionist (uses sabotage) who fought in a rebellion (secular heresy). But this got combined with "they are some much prettier when they are broken to make the example character you saw there.

Next I'm in an appropriate game, I might just use the combined character. Consider this an aside on combining quotes.~Sacred Worlds

A member of a tight kit group that fights against, or has been abandoned by, the rest of the world. That group is probably going to have to be the party for things to work out. They are likely to have no shortage of enemies. They might still be fighting to save the world, maybe they are the only ones who see the big threat for what it is.
-Order of the Stick

Almost every group I have ever played in has had one of these anyways so... Still playing this deliberately would probably be fun, as long as you listened to the other characters enough not to get killed.
Hello, I'm a theoretical optimization wizard. Nice to meat you.

goto124
2016-02-27, 10:45 AM
-Silver

I like this as a descriptions of the of few words archetype. That can be hard to do well in a role playing game unless you are really good at communicating body language. Or spend a lot of time on your phone. Either way.

Better yet, an NPC.

Hello, I'm a theoretical optimization wizard. Nice to meat you.

http://i1.wp.com/leganerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Meatier-Swarm.gif

Cluedrew
2016-02-27, 02:35 PM
-Order of the Stick

Almost every group I have ever played in has had one of these anyways so... Still playing this deliberately would probably be fun, as long as you listened to the other characters enough not to get killed.
Otherwise we would have missed that joke. Although I didn't get in until I saw the word you bolded.

Michael7123
2016-02-27, 05:22 PM
"Why? Because I love my dad. Is that so hard to understand?"
- For my Rogue right before she executes a prisoner. The game hasn't started yet, but I'll try to use that line. CN/CE, but this quote can work for a character of any alignment really. It's just more interesting for evil ones.

"I've heard it said that there is no greater love than to lay down you're life for a friend. I disagree. There's no greater love than sacrificing yourself for a bunch of fools and miscreants who wouldn't even bother to thank you for it if they had the chance."
- For any good aligned character in a party of less than good aligned individuals.

"I don't care about winning in the end. What matters is doing what's right. You may well defeat me and crush me into dust. I will fight you none the same. "
Can be for any good aligned character who's being taunted from by the bad guys, and being told that they have no hope of winning. The best response isn't to say that you think they're lying: It's to say that it doesn't matter if they're telling the truth. Preferably used when the pally sacrifices himself to prevent Orcus from incinerating a town, not when Orcus appears for the first time when the party is level 1 in order to set up a plot hook.

goto124
2016-02-27, 09:42 PM
"Why? Because I love my dad. Is that so hard to understand?"

I'm pretty sure there's an opposite quote from someone who gets backstabbed by own family a lot, but I can't find it...

- For any good aligned character in a party of less than good aligned individuals..

For any snarky good aligned character, you mean :smallbiggrin:

8BitNinja
2016-02-29, 10:04 AM
"In the name of Jesus, put the knife down" - The War Room

this one is great for a paladin or good-aligned cleric

goto124
2016-02-29, 11:11 AM
... who is the friend of a murderhobo knife nut.

Michael7123
2016-02-29, 01:21 PM
For any snarky good aligned character, you mean :smallbiggrin:

I find that the quantity of good-aligned snark is directly proportional to the quantity of evil actions the party takes.

8BitNinja
2016-02-29, 01:22 PM
@goto124, that's every character I play, even if it isn't a paladin or good aligned cleric

"Let's see how much blood's in ya" -Christian Brutal Sniper

any psychopath CE character, but especially a fighter (imo)

eru001
2016-02-29, 02:24 PM
I am not a good man, nor am I a peaceful one. I have lived my life in pain, my own and that of others. I am a criminal and a ruffian. I am the monster whom your parents warned you of each evening when they tucked you into bed. I do not come into town often, I do not belong there. I live this life for one reason and one reason only. Out there, beyond those walls behind which you sleep each night are things much worse than me. I keep them there.
-unknown

good for a neutral, or a good is not nice ranger I think

8BitNinja
2016-02-29, 02:40 PM
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
— The United States Constitution, 14th Amendment

Any Lawful Good character

Belac93
2016-02-29, 11:06 PM
Totally forgot about this one...
I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru. Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me. I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby ****, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to college.
Slighty surreal, but funny.

"Why me?"
-Story I wrote.

Put simply, he was the deadliest single individual in history.
-TvTropes on Simo Häyhä

goto124
2016-03-01, 12:04 AM
"Let's see how much blood's in ya" -Christian Brutal Sniper

any psychopath CE character, but especially a fighter (imo)

Better yet, a blood mage!

8BitNinja
2016-03-01, 12:17 AM
@belac93 what is the big quote from?

@goto124 that works too

Belac93
2016-03-01, 10:23 AM
@ 8BitNinja. It was written by Hugh Gallagher (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Gallagher_%28humorist%29) as his college application essay. I'm not sure if he actually used it, but I do know that he got into college.

8BitNinja
2016-03-01, 01:37 PM
@ 8BitNinja. It was written by Hugh Gallagher (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Gallagher_%28humorist%29) as his college application essay. I'm not sure if he actually used it, but I do know that he got into college.

Thanks for directing me there

Here's another one I like

"I fight for the men I've held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breaths. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find a country full of strangers wearing familiar faces! I fight for my people, impoverished to pay the debts of an Empire too weak to rule them, yet brands them criminals for wanting to rule themselves! I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing! I fight... because I must."
—Ulfric Stormcloak, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

any good-aligned fighter

eru001
2016-03-01, 04:23 PM
I don't do magic. I don't light things on fire with my brain, or collapse reality with a sudden sneezing fit. I have not, nor will I likely ever summon a demon accidentaly or on purpose. I don't talk to ghosts. I don't read minds. I don't summon monsters. When I want to talk to God I go to church and I don't expect a direct answer, and I certainly don't rip open portals to Hell so that tenticalled monstrosities fall out of the sky and claim to be Him. You sir do all of those things. I on the other hand, do exactly one thing. I! SHOOT! THINGS! WITH! MY! GUN! That's all I do and I am very good at it. In your mouth right now is the muzzle a submachinegun chambered in 9mm. You gloat because no weapon forged by man can kill you. I gloat because every single part of this weapon system is either stamped or milled. All of the bullets are cast. Make peace with your octopus. -BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG...

We fight not for glory for that is free. We fight for the best thing of all, we fight for XP.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

In matters of fashion swim with the current, in matters of principle stand like a rock.
-Thomas Jefferson

No one ever won a war by dying for his country, he won the war by making the other guy die for his.
- George Patton (the G rated version of the quote )

8BitNinja
2016-03-01, 06:02 PM
I don't do magic. I don't light things on fire with my brain, or collapse reality with a sudden sneezing fit. I have not, nor will I likely ever summon a demon accidentaly or on purpose. I don't talk to ghosts. I don't read minds. I don't summon monsters. When I want to talk to God I go to church and I don't expect a direct answer, and I certainly don't rip open portals to Hell so that tenticalled monstrosities fall out of the sky and claim to be Him. You sir do all of those things. I on the other hand, do exactly one thing. I! SHOOT! THINGS! WITH! MY! GUN! That's all I do and I am very good at it. In your mouth right now is the muzzle a submachinegun chambered in 9mm. You gloat because no weapon forged by man can kill you. I gloat because every single part of this weapon system is either stamped or milled. All of the bullets are cast. Make peace with your octopus. -BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG...

Please tell me where this quote is from, I love it :smallbiggrin:

Teapot Salty
2016-03-02, 01:36 AM
"If you mess with my son, you don't get to walk away."

"I like ________"

goto124
2016-03-02, 02:00 AM
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

"Keep this up for too long, and no one will let you be the second mouse ever again." - Frustrated teammate, for some value of 'teammate'

"If you mess with my son, you don't get to walk away."

There's a certain stereotype (https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=overprotective+dad) for "If you mess with my daughter, you don't get to walk away".

8BitNinja
2016-03-02, 09:54 AM
"I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before."- Burt Gummer,Tremors 2

Good one for a chaotic-anything trigger happy ranged fighter

eru001
2016-03-02, 10:37 AM
Please tell me where this quote is from, I love it :smallbiggrin:

It's actually a campaign quote from a game a friend of mine DM'ed. The character was an 82nd Airborne trooper who due to magical shenanagins had been accidentaly summoned to a cthullu esque version of New York.

The game itself is called d20verse, it was written by a friend of mine and involves randomly selecting different universes for each party member to come from various fictional universes to team up on a wacky time hopping adventure.

Our party in this particular campaign was

WWII Paratrooper (the quote guy), a D&D Wizard, a Sanctioned Psyker from 40k, and a Metalbending soldier from Kuvira's army. They were over the course of the campaign trapped in Call of Cthullu New York where they had to fight a cult trying to summon one or more of the elder gods. As could be imagined, the paratrooper was rather freaked out by, well, everything and delivered that epic speech to the main villain shortly after delivering said villian a no holds barred beatdown, and immediately prior to blowing the main villian's head off with a Sten SMG.

8BitNinja
2016-03-02, 11:58 AM
It's actually a campaign quote from a game a friend of mine DM'ed. The character was an 82nd Airborne trooper who due to magical shenanagins had been accidentaly summoned to a cthullu esque version of New York.

The game itself is called d20verse, it was written by a friend of mine and involves randomly selecting different universes for each party member to come from various fictional universes to team up on a wacky time hopping adventure.

Our party in this particular campaign was

WWII Paratrooper (the quote guy), a D&D Wizard, a Sanctioned Psyker from 40k, and a Metalbending soldier from Kuvira's army. They were over the course of the campaign trapped in Call of Cthullu New York where they had to fight a cult trying to summon one or more of the elder gods. As could be imagined, the paratrooper was rather freaked out by, well, everything and delivered that epic speech to the main villain shortly after delivering said villian a no holds barred beatdown, and immediately prior to blowing the main villian's head off with a Sten SMG.

Your friend is a literary genius

HalfTangible
2016-03-02, 10:20 PM
"Come on, this crowd should be cheering YOUR name, not mine! Everyone loves the underdog!"

Best read as a completely genuine encouragement

8BitNinja
2016-03-03, 09:56 AM
"Hold your ground, hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*" Aragorn - Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

I'm not sure what, I just think it's cool

eru001
2016-03-03, 12:54 PM
I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents, I've lead thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks, I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before, I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, killed many men, and loved only one woman, with a passion a flea like you could never begin to understand, that's who I am.

Hub McCann, Secondhand lions

8BitNinja
2016-03-03, 01:23 PM
"Mr. Mackey: They aren't going to get you, Craig! You're not getting out of detention!

Craig Tucker: I'll be out of here in ten minutes."
South Park: The Stick of Truth

This is a good one for a rogue

eru001
2016-03-04, 11:16 AM
I hold in my hands both war and peace. Choose well, for I care not what is had.
-Rome's ambassador to Carthage prior to the 2nd Punic War

If I had a quarter for every time someone has tried to hold me for ransom, I might actually be able to pay some of those ransoms
-anonymous

I am a Marine, and this is my rifle. So long as we are together, the war aint lost.
-Marine reservist Red Dawn.

They claim our possessions the pitiful knaves, but the tribute we pay shall be bullets and graves
-ballad of the Green Mountain Boys

Violence is never the answer, violence is the question. the answer is yes.
-anonymous

You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.
-Al Capone

8BitNinja
2016-03-04, 02:17 PM
"Every man has a job to do
And my job is doing good.
Every night when the job is through
I fold my tights, proud to know I've done all I could.
It's a satisfying feeling when you hang up your cape
To know that you've averted murder, larceny and rape."
—It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman, "Doing Good"

Another any good aligned character

Rakoa
2016-03-05, 01:52 PM
"My whims are laws to all but myself."

"Every romance is ruined when you try to make it last forever."

"Sin is the only colour left in life."

"I can sympathize with everything except suffering."

"The people who love only once in their lives are the shallow people. What they call their loyalty, and their fidelity, I call either lethargy of custom or their lack of imagination."

"Some say beauty is superficial, and perhaps it is. But it is not so superficial as thought is."

"I represent to you all the evil you have never had the courage to commit."

"One can always be kind to people about whom one cares nothing."

ZxxZ
2016-03-05, 10:34 PM
You are not meant to exist in this world. It is my duty to bring an end to you, and I mean to fulfill that duty!
Haku-Men

The stage on which the best soldiers are gathered... I wish to dance on such a stage! Such is my wish!
Amane Nishiki

Entertain me more! My thirst is only satiated by my fangs! This seems like the ultimate feeding ground!
Azrael

This world is nothing but lies lies lies lies lies LIES! But don't worry. I'll show you... I'll show you the truth...
Yuuki Terumi

I'd like to hear this said by an Evil Archivist who went mad from the revelations

And pretty much anything Kamina(TTGL) ever said for a Dragon Fire Inspiration Bard, focussing on Perform(Oratory)

Rakoa
2016-03-06, 06:58 AM
"The last thing I want to do is kill you. I'll get around to that after all the other things I want to do to you."

goto124
2016-03-06, 07:25 AM
"And that, is why you can't play a Succubus."

eru001
2016-03-06, 10:33 AM
No captain can do very wrong who brings his ship alongside that of the enemy and attacks.
-Horatio Nelson

If I were surrounded withe the krauts on one side and the Russkies on the other, I'd attack in both directions
-George S. Patton

When lacking for orders, go to the enemy and find something to kill.
-Erwin Rommel

That which does not kill me, had better start running.
-anonymous

Hahaha, hahaha, haha, haha, hahaha
-Mandark

It's you and me against the world, we attack at dawn
-Mandy

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 12:04 AM
"We struggle not with flesh and blood, but with rulers, with powers, with principalities of this dark world, against spiritual wickedness in high places"

This is pretty much my definition of a paladin

AmewTheFox
2016-03-07, 02:04 AM
"Impossible is just a word that people use to make themselves feel better when they quit."
-Vyse, Skies of Arcadia
(A personal favorite of mine, and probably for a good number of PCs, probably the martial ones.)

"I beat the crap outta people. More than I have to. Some are still in the hospital...If I go to a resturant and the food is bad, I make it a policy to stiff them with the bill. But...even a bastard like me...can spot true evil when he sees it!"
-Jotaro Kujo, Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Part 3
(About any character that doesn't qualify as "Chaotic Nice")
(This will probably result in an avalanche of Jojo quotes)

"Do you mind? I'm trying to resolve the incident."
-Reimu Hakurei, Fantasy Maiden Wars I
(Sometimes Good goes off the deep end...)

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 09:42 AM
I am posting a lot of quotes for good-aligned characters lately

"Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave."—The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder

I liked this one so much, it's in my signature

eru001
2016-03-07, 02:50 PM
"Damn you all. You there are imbeciles plain and simple. You are unfit to poor piss from a boot with instructions written on the heel and half of this is your fault. You guys on the other hand and too smart for your own damn good and caused the rest of the problem. You all have treated me with nothing but distrust and hatred since you met me, despite the fact that I have done nothing but lay my own life on the line time and time again to protect you all from the creatures in the dark and the consequences of your own horrid and stupid actions. Now you've gone and done it and a Giant Monster is coming to kill us all, and once again you expect me to drop everything and go fix your problems. You are all self obsessive, psychotic, murderous freaks. And Now you've managed to attract an attacker that even I probably can't save you from. I want to tell you all to take your monster problem and shove it. (long sigh). But I've got a monster to go fight, so while I head off to buy time I want you all to evacuate, I can probably buy you all a quarter of an hour. Just remember this if I don't come back. I hate each and every one of you with a burning passion."

-Sir John Falkirk (a character I played in a tabletop)

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 07:24 PM
"While evil flourishes and wrongs grow rank, while men are persecuted and women wronged, while weak things, human or animal, are maltreated, there is no rest for me beneath the skies, nor peace at any board or bed. Farewell!"
— Solomon Kane, The Blue Flame of Vengeance

Cluedrew
2016-03-07, 10:37 PM
Sir John Falkirk (a character I played in a tabletop)Is this guy a paladin? Even if it wasn't his class, yeah I think he was.

-Greasy Space Monkeys

Just a lazy worker might work for an NPC, but I sort of like the idea of someone who have been through so much that the just don't care anymore, but being forced to care again because something that matters came up. Sort of like a variant of the "out of retirement" story except they were... technically working the whole time.This quote is quite simply for the ones who when forced to pick between what is smart and what is right will pick the right thing ever time.

The knights with there impractical codes of honour. The rebels who know they can't stay ahead of the law forever. The valiant sacrifice (hard to build a character off of that one). The one who just goes with their gut all the time, going on instincts and morals with out a lot of logic involved.Some one with way too much experience shooting people. Also if we believe what they said than they have experience shooting people so they don't die. That's an unusual sort of thing to have a lot of experience in. ... A very hard yet kind gunslinger I suppose.-Sam & Fuzzy

...Half the adventures ever. Or at least you got on person in each of these roles in about half the adventuring groups.

"I fight for the men I've held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breaths. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find a country full of strangers wearing familiar faces! I fight for my people, impoverished to pay the debts of an Empire too weak to rule them, yet brands them criminals for wanting to rule themselves! I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing! I fight... because I must."
—Ulfric Stormcloak, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

any good-aligned fighter

I don't know why this one, but this one when I saw the little one line description I just couldn't help but think, "but there is so much more you can do with this."

Yes there is the fighter, but not just a fighter, a soldier that has fought at least one bloody war, a veteran both hardened and maybe just a little bit broken by all the fighting. Actually the soldier part is the more important than how the fight happens, could also be an archer or, given that s/he has had time to stop for the dying, maybe a combat doctor of sorts (D&D Cleric?). Beyond there is the battle on the home front and the fight for freedom against the empire, which gives a definite chaotic slant to the whole story. Also doesn't really seem to be in it for "fun" anymore, few dreams of glory or riches, just a sort of resigned duty.

Also I just thought I would put this one out there, I would like to see what others make of it: "I have practiced over a dozen martial arts, with the closest thing to warrior monks history has ever seen. I have trained military strike forces and once held the title of the best fencer in the world, a title I handed off, it was not taken from me. ... Also I have a bazooka and I know how to uuussse itttttt."

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 11:50 PM
I don't know why this one, but this one when I saw the little one line description I just couldn't help but think, "but there is so much more you can do with this."

Yes there is the fighter, but not just a fighter, a soldier that has fought at least one bloody war, a veteran both hardened and maybe just a little bit broken by all the fighting. Actually the soldier part is the more important than how the fight happens, could also be an archer or, given that s/he has had time to stop for the dying, maybe a combat doctor of sorts (D&D Cleric?). Beyond there is the battle on the home front and the fight for freedom against the empire, which gives a definite chaotic slant to the whole story. Also doesn't really seem to be in it for "fun" anymore, few dreams of glory or riches, just a sort of resigned duty.

Also I just thought I would put this one out there, I would like to see what others make of it: "I have practiced over a dozen martial arts, with the closest thing to warrior monks history has ever seen. I have trained military strike forces and once held the title of the best fencer in the world, a title I handed off, it was not taken from me. ... Also I have a bazooka and I know how to uuussse itttttt."

Thanks for putting that out there, I never thought that you could take a quote of an already defined character defining himself and turning it into a whole new character. Thanks

HalfTangible
2016-03-08, 01:57 AM
"At the point in time when bullets can pass through the interdimensional walls, when firepower takes up the entirety and eternity of space and time all being stuck in a never ending life and death cycle as bullets recover and destroy their bodies in quick succession no one able to think about anything but the sheer force of the bullets rapidly flying literally everywhere in the materium turning the Warp itself into nothing but a sea of semi-automatic weaponry. Then there will be enough dakka.
Or at least almost."

"I've forgotten more about fighting than you'll ever know."
"Impressive! But did you remember more?"

8BitNinja
2016-03-08, 01:24 PM
"First and foremost, don't be this guy.(pictures are shown of various Monster Energy licensed and Black Checkered Vans clothes while scare chords play in the background)Like, please, for the love of Chin Chin, do not be this guy."

-Filthy Frank

I have no idea where to go with this

eru001
2016-03-09, 02:09 PM
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for it is my shadow that is cast over the valley.

-unknown Special Forces Operator

8BitNinja
2016-03-09, 02:20 PM
"Light or darkness, between you and I all will be decided" -Ashram, Record of the Lodoss War

Probably a Neutral character who believes in predestination

"I don't understand you humans at all. But then, maybe that's what makes you so fascinating!" -Deedlit, Record of the Lodoss war

Yet another quote from the series, Probably a non-human character who is obsessed with the lore and culture of humans, as well as humans themselves (probably an elf, since the quote came from one)

eru001
2016-03-10, 10:15 AM
"I'm not interested in what you are in the dark. Some people say that that's what makes a true hero but they are full of BS. It's not about doing the right thing when nobody will notice, it's about what you are in the light. Heroism is about what you do when everyone is watching. When the world is coming apart a the seems, and everyone looks to you for a solution, that's when we find out if you are a hero. Do you make the right call, do you carry it out, or do you freeze up and fail when everyone is counting on you. Nobody cares about all the candy bars you didn't swipe or all the old ladies you walked across the street. We don't need nice men here, we need the men who, when the walls are being overrun and something drastic must be done, will hold the line and not despair of the Republic. "

8BitNinja
2016-03-10, 01:30 PM
"I had to prove to myself that the Law could be proper and righteous and for the good of humankind. It was from that moment that I was destined to be a police officer."
— Nicholas Angel, Hot Fuzz

This is a good one for a lawful good cop/guard/defender of a town, especially for one who is fighting against government corruption

Belac93
2016-03-10, 09:55 PM
"And since you issued the challenge, sir, it is my prerogative to choose the weapons. I choose sawed-off shotguns at 10 paces."
-Chesty Puller.
Seems good for a character who goes overboard with everything. Maybe a barbarian.

"I'm long done being a hero."
-?
Seems good for a neutral or evil character who used to be good.

8BitNinja
2016-03-11, 12:58 AM
"Run from the sandwich" -Heavy, Team Fortress 2

A good one for a really, really crazy guy

eru001
2016-03-11, 04:02 PM
We few we happy few, we band of brothers, For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother, and gentlemen in England lain abed, shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap, while any speak, who fought with us, upon St Crispin's Day.
-Shakespeare Henry V

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-11, 04:19 PM
We few we happy few, we band of brothers, For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother, and gentlemen in England lain abed, shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap, while any speak, who fought with us, upon St Crispin's Day.
-Shakespeare Henry V

Always a good one, but I prefer the original:

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more. Consign their parts most private to a Rutland tree!And gentlemen in London still abed shall think themselves accursed that they were not here, and hold their manhood cheap, while others speak of those who fought with us on Ralph the Liar's Day!

And on the subject:

Let 'Blood, Blood, BLOOD!' be your motto! Slit their gizzards!

Now, I'm afraid that there's going to have to be a certain amount of... violence. But at least we know it's all in a good cause, don't we?

8BitNinja
2016-03-11, 05:57 PM
"Ladies and Gentleman, I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot, but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose" -Theodore Roosevelt

An awesome fighter with high CON, or since it was Teddy Roosevelt, I guess a ranger

goto124
2016-03-11, 07:41 PM
Better yet, a druid Wildshaped into a literal Bull Moose.

Segev
2016-03-11, 08:59 PM
From a song I've been listening to recently:

"I'm bigger than my body
Colder than this home
I'm meaner than my demons
And bigger than these bones."

8BitNinja
2016-03-12, 12:40 AM
Better yet, a druid Wildshaped into a literal Bull Moose.

Or a Bull Moose wildshaped into a Druid

GorinichSerpant
2016-03-12, 02:51 AM
Or just a Bull Moose.

eru001
2016-03-12, 10:34 AM
Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to ensure the survival and the success of liberty.
-John F Kennedy

goto124
2016-03-12, 10:44 AM
Or just a Bull Moose...

... Druid. A Druid whose true form is a sapient Bull Moose.

8BitNinja
2016-03-13, 09:12 PM
"Though you die, La Resistance lives on" -Gregory, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

GorinichSerpant
2016-03-13, 10:42 PM
... Druid. A Druid whose true form is a sapient Bull Moose.

Or a barbarian, that would fit with the quote quite nicely.

8BitNinja
2016-03-13, 10:48 PM
I never knew people like Theodore Roosevelt as much as I did, people here seem to love this guy.

That Panama canal is very helpful

Teapot Salty
2016-03-20, 11:04 PM
"The difference between screwing around and science is writing it down."-Adam Savage
"I'm going to science the **** out of this."-Mark Watney, The Martian.
:vaarsuvius:"As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

8BitNinja
2016-03-21, 12:53 AM
"It's all fun and games until I kill someone with a pool cue" -My friend

eru001
2016-03-22, 10:29 AM
A King, The Wealthiest merchant in Venice, the Pope, and a common soldier with a sword are locked in the room. From outside comes the order, "two men may leave the others must be killed". Who leaves the room? The answer is simple, the soldier, and whomever he esteems most. For though all three other men might command more power outside the room, that power is outside, while the soldier and his sword are inside. While the king outside could order him killed, the Pope might order him burned, or the Merchant might buy assassins, those are all outside, these men have left their power at the door, the soldier with his sword, has brought his full might with him.

- a Neutral or Evil fighter

8BitNinja
2016-03-22, 10:33 AM
Here is another one from a friend

"Every night, a child will be scared to go to sleep because of an evil being under their bed or in their closet. Well I'll tell you that God made some people who will make monsters afraid to go to sleep at night"

- a good Fighter or Paladin

Teapot Salty
2016-03-25, 09:07 PM
"You are surrounded!"
"All I am surrounded by is fear, and dead men."-Darth Vader

"You're feeling it now aren't you? What the
rest of us live with everyday, your own mortality! Don't worry, you'll survive. The Kryptonite will work its way out of your lungs soon enough...But I didn't have to go easy on you. A different binding agent a stronger mix. I want you to remember that, I wanted to remind you to stay out of my way in all the years to come. In your most private moments, I want you to remember the one man who beat you!"-Batman to Superman, The Dark Knight Returns, part 2.

BootStrapTommy
2016-03-26, 12:36 AM
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." -Chester Pully

Excession
2016-03-27, 06:15 AM
"Let's Dance. And by dance I mean let's try to kill each other." —Deadpool

Best bard.

8BitNinja
2016-03-27, 10:22 PM
"I'm getting too old for this sort of thing" -Ben Kenobi, Star Wars

A good one for an elderly character with low STR, DEX, and CON, but high INT and WIS

goto124
2016-03-28, 02:53 AM
Better for an old ex-adventurer.

Low physical stats didn't stop spellcasters from adventurering after all.

KnotKnormal
2016-03-28, 11:59 AM
"i have a particular set of skills that makes me a very dangerous person for some one like you."
-Liam Neason-

8BitNinja
2016-03-28, 01:27 PM
"Welcome to Earth" -Will Smith, Independence Day

KnotKnormal
2016-03-30, 12:01 PM
"Here's something you may not have known Missy. My numbers, are bigger then yours. My wounds heal faster then you can make them. oh yeah, get to a high enough level and you are practically untouchable. But I have good news! There's no need to wonder where your god is. He's right here! and He's fresh out of mercy."

-Kirito, SAO Abridged-

HalfTangible
2016-03-30, 12:47 PM
"Here's something you may not have known Missy. My numbers, are bigger then yours. My wounds heal faster then you can make them. oh yeah, get to a high enough level and you are practically untouchable. But I have good news! There's no need to wonder where your god is. He's right here! and He's fresh out of mercy."

-Kirito, SAO Abridged-This quote immediately after 'Missy' gets stabbed is also pretty good.

"Enjoy this victory while you can - it's the deepest you'll ever be in a woman"

8BitNinja
2016-03-30, 05:44 PM
"You see the distant flames/ they bellow in the night/ you fight in all our names/ for what we know is right/ and when you all get shot/ and cannot carry on/ though you die, La Resistance lives on" -Gregory, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

HalfTangible
2016-03-30, 05:49 PM
"I will give this world the nation - and the god - that it needs. Beg that I succeed... for I have seen the throne of the gods. And it was empty!" -Corypheus, Dragon Age series

This guy is a really cool and complex character when you actually look into him. It's just a shame he got so little screen time in Inquisition.

8BitNinja
2016-03-30, 10:26 PM
"Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind.

Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today.

We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

"We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We're going to live on!

We're going to survive!"

Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!"

eru001
2016-03-30, 10:48 PM
Forgive me gentlemen, but I must put on my spectacles, for I have grown blind as well as gray in service to my country.

-George Washington about to give a speech to the officers of the continental army in a desperate attempt to prevent them from overthrowing the continental congress. He never had to finish the speech, his officers broke down and gave in before he could put on his glasses.

Theirs not to make reply, theirs not to reason why, theirs but to do and die, into the valley of death rode the six hundred
-Alfred Tennyson, the Charge of the Light Brigade

8BitNinja
2016-03-31, 09:37 AM
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" -Paarthurnax, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

goto124
2016-03-31, 09:51 AM
"I know which one makes for a more interesting story."

8BitNinja
2016-03-31, 09:55 AM
"Yay, I'm contributing" - Dr. Zoidberg, Futurama

Cluedrew
2016-04-01, 08:31 PM
-Scary Go Round

Besides a simple busy body, I'm going to say the spy who finds out what is going on and does things with that. The "needs minding" part seems to suggest an active roll to me.

I wouldn't go as far as to make a it the information broker or the center of the network because then you get to "My business is other people's business." Which is similar but doesn't have the same active/impulsive slant to it.~Far to the North

OK, this was never actually said anywhere in the comic, but sentiments about mother bears and how one should not mess with them resound throughout the comic. It is a very strong image, but an unusual image in grand adventures that tend to feature independent folk how haven't settled down yet.There are two ways you can go with this. First is an utterly unrepentant and probably unsympathetic villain who... I'll get to that in a moment. Second is an anti-hero who, despite the extreme actions they have undertaken they are confident they will be justified in the end.

The interesting point here is which one the character actually is comes down to a very thin line, if the rest of the world (or the reader) agrees with them. Some cases it may be rather unanimous on which one the character is, but others it might not be.This quote almost makes me think of a paladin, except it is not "I should" or "I must", it is I can which to me has a very chaotic slant and speaks nothing of duty. In fact it almost makes it sound like a whim. But the question says "fight so hard" so either it is someone who bets will go all in on a whim or someone actively fights for what is right but has not put a lot of thought into why. Maybe they are not very philosophic or maybe it just comes that naturally to them.

I should note that thing they fight for doesn't actually have to be good. The second thing that comes to mind is the destruction of the world. This might make a very interesting exchange between a Lawful Evil type and a Chaotic Evil type.-Hero Oh Hero

Not so much a quote you can build a character off of as a metric of how completely out of ones depth the character is.-Legendary

Someone with very severe anger issues. Uncontrolled barbarian rage (or Hulk-level) is a prime example.Someone dramatic, with a flourish (example: Bard) and maybe a dash of optimism. The day is not simply good, not merely great, today is a day where the sun shines down its golden rays, epic journeys are begun, life long labours are completed, when the greats prove themselves, the broken finally stand up, terrible foes are vanquished and true love is found. And this is how they view every single day. for?" "I know your kind of diplomacy."']-Chasing the Sunset

That diplomacy being gunboat diplomacy. On a slightly smaller scale. On slightly different note is that the person themselves does not think of themselves as violent but the rest of the world certainly does, so that is an interesting contrast.-Chasing the Sunset

So... kleptomaniac to the point of experiencing physical withdrawal symptoms.

Here are some other quotes about the same character:

"I swear, she has some sort of shiny sensor. Nobody told her about the gem, but she can feel it. She knows."
"You make the world less boring. [...] That being said, I'd like my necklace back."
"Shiny!"
"No, I mean the big sapphire you stole for me." "Who, me?"
"What? You're taking responsibility for something? This is serious."
'Both: "Oh! Nice! Where did you get this?" Other: "Did you two just steal from each other?" 1: "No." 2: "Of course not."'
How am I supposed to get away with anything if everyone just assumes everything is my fault?
The density of this is actually very impressive. Perhaps a little bit too much so. Every time the character gets out of sight the party panics. So this might actually be a case of the kender problem. In fact if you take into account the times the rest of the party panics when the 'kender' disappears it really is. It is a really fun character but at the same time not one I would like to adventure with. Actually that is probably the real challenge here is making this character not hated by the rest of the party. And this is starting to get theoretical.-Chasing the Sunset

Alternately, from the same comic:

"No offence, Leaf, but I've learned to say no to whatever your initial plan is." Moments Later: "What? You too? But it was my second-" "Yes. I've known you longer."

Brilliant, but crazy. Sort of like a mad scientist except with plans instead of inventions. Although no one denies they come up with workable plans they contain a weirdness that may not always be desirable. So they should generally be revised a few times. -Chasing the Sunset

Lawful Stupid hero, I suppose you could try and argue for something more intelligent, but then he would probably be able to explain it himself. Or herself, you could swap the gender. But for this person you could say doing good (rather than good itself) is the ideal.The good king (or queen, or other form of leader) who is adored by their people. Also since they have a response to this question they also sound somewhat competent, which is nice because good authority figures tend to be rather bumbling most of the time. And NPCs, this could just be an NPC or a PC with authority, uncommon but doable. You know many quotes seem to be said during battle, or as part of a grand speech. But this one sounds like it was said to a four-year old just before bed-time. So I started wondering, who would have both the occasion and desire to say something like this? See mother bear above for one. Mom/Dad being really big and a little scary is kind of mundane. Being a super-villain is a bit more interesting. And it could just be a good with kids trait.

Eventually I got one that just clicked for me. This is the soft side of a paladin. You hear a lot of stories of paladins saving/funding orphanages so why not volunteer at one on occasion? It is often (should be) more about protecting the innocent than punishing the wicked and some times to do that all you need is a gentle word to protect them from their fears.-Chasing the Sunset

Someone who thinks with there heart, and feels with the whole. When people say be reasonable they usually mean stop and think about the situation. This individual doesn't seem to do that, instead acting according to their instinct.-Rusty & Co

This implies a "whatever works" sort of attitude, not in terms of actual evil but in terms of... weird things that people would rather not do out of politeness. Of course the tricky part is being disturbing without leaving anyone actually disturbed.

8BitNinja
2016-04-01, 08:50 PM
"If it bleeds, we can kill it" -Ahnold

Every D&D player ever

goto124
2016-04-02, 04:38 AM
Every D&D player ever

PCs also kill lots of things that don't bleed. Skeletons, ghosts, mimics...

"If it has stats, we can kill it."

Cluedrew
2016-04-02, 06:25 AM
"If it bleeds, we can kill it" -AhnoldThe confident murderer, you could go with some sort of professional killer. Maybe freelance and this is their slogan.

I know a longer version, it is associated with the Sith in Star Wars.

If it has blood, we can make it bleed. If it has skin we can flay it. If it has a voice we can make it scream.

"If it has stats, we can kill it."Wait... don't we have stats?

Also I realized I forgot a quote, I thought I would pitch this one to the thread:
"Like poetry, like music, like violence."

goto124
2016-04-02, 06:34 AM
"If it bleeds, we can kill it"

- Blood mage.

Why didn't I think of that earlier?

Wait... don't we have stats?

:vaarsuvius: We are all in the Monster Manual somewhere, are we not?

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-04-02, 07:47 AM
:vaarsuvius: We are all in the Monster Manual somewhere, are we not?

Humans, dear sir or madam, humans.

8BitNinja
2016-04-02, 01:35 PM
This whole "if it has stats, we can kill it" reminds me of a counter monkey episode

If You Stat It, They Will Kill It

Lycanthrope13
2016-04-03, 06:24 PM
"There is only one perfect judge. If my justice can't be perfect, I'll settle for brutally efficient."

"You know the neat thing about a mace? You can kill somebody with a single well placed blow, or break every bone in their body and leave them begging for death."

"It's not my place to judge you, just to kill you."

HalfTangible
2016-04-03, 06:55 PM
"A man is judged by the quality of his enemies. Maric told me that once. I wonder if it's more a compliment to you or to me..." -Loghain Mac Tir

"Daughters never grow up, Anora. They remain six years old with skinned knees forever." -Loghain, again

"Try a warp-induced nuke to the face, see what happens. You are the strongest ****ing warriors that exist in the [Galactic] Imperium. What the **** are you guys doing undressed inside the Imperial Palace literally doing **** all? When was the last time any one of you even killed anything?! You have the best arsenal ever put together at your disposal and you do not use it. You should be ****ing ashamed you s#@$nuggets. Now, I want you three ****ers to get dressed, get at least 100 others Custodes ready, start up your ships, and go do something for the Imperium." -The God-Emperor of Mankind after being told that the Custodes are there to stop him from getting even one scratch. Better said TO your character.

"I can't die, I'M TOO BUSY!!!" -Goge Vandire

"They shall know no fear." -God-Emperor again

"I'm no hero. I'm the guy who cleans up after them." -Dude from Anti-Heroes... I'll be honest, I don't remember his name

"I don't know how you lost your way, but I cannot allow this to continue. You will stop. One way, or the other." -Captain Diomedes

8BitNinja
2016-04-04, 09:58 AM
"Here, we are all about positive vibes" - The Lizard King Leafy

Belac93
2016-04-05, 10:24 PM
“Every villain is a hero in his own mind.”
― Tom Hiddleston
A hero, a villain, this works on so many levels.

“The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armor. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time.”
― Frank Miller
A soldier regarded as a hero, who wants to not be so famous.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Someone who is being corrupted

“Haven’t you learned yet? Someone has to be the villain so everyone else can stay alive.”
― Josephine Angelini
A good one for an evil character who 'gets the job done.'

“Fate is an excuse for people who are too stupid or too weak to make their own future."
― Richard Paul Evans
This person may be an atheist, and definitely does not like the idea of Fate.

“Most have been forgotten. Most deserve to be forgotten. The heroes will always be remembered. The best. The best and the worst. And a few who were a bit of both.”
― George R.R. Martin
Neutral Character.

“No, what he didn't like about heroes was that they were usually suicidally gloomy when sober and homicidally insane when drunk.”
― Terry Pratchett
Someone who doesn't like heroes.

“Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters.”
― Rick Riordan
A very, very evil character.

“But perhaps the monsters needed to look out for each other every now and then.”
― Sarah J. Maas
This could be for an evil party. Or a game of WoD.

8BitNinja
2016-04-06, 12:21 AM
"Heroes don't need plans" -Snow, Final Hallway XIII

A Lawful Stupid character, not the guy that you would actually hire to save the world, or even the local village

goto124
2016-04-07, 09:58 PM
'Do good now. And if something comes back around on you, beat it up and don't let it stop you from doing good.' - A certain fire daemon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?74983-firedaemon33)

Suitable for paladins and other good types who aren't afraid to use force.

8BitNinja
2016-04-07, 11:40 PM
"Yay, I'm useful" -Dr. Zoidberg, Futurama

A good one for a factotum

GorinichSerpant
2016-04-08, 12:01 AM
"Heroes don't need plans" -Snow, Final Hallway XIII

A Lawful Stupid character, not the guy that you would actually hire to save the world, or even the local village

It could be also be used by someone who knows that the plan never survives first contact with the enemy.

8BitNinja
2016-04-08, 01:30 AM
It could be also be used by someone who knows that the plan never survives first contact with the enemy.

Or someone who knows that the plan doesn't survive upon seeing the enemy

GorinichSerpant
2016-04-08, 01:47 AM
Or someone who knows that the plan doesn't survive upon seeing the enemy

I think there is some subtle but important difference I'm not picking up on.

goto124
2016-04-08, 02:20 AM
It's the difference between the enemy messing up your plans, and you forgetting your own plans because you saw the fearsome enemy?

8BitNinja
2016-04-08, 09:32 AM
It's the difference between the enemy messing up your plans, and you forgetting your own plans because you saw the fearsome enemy?

This is what I was implying

eru001
2016-04-08, 11:04 AM
I thought I might chime in with the original "contact with the enemy" quote

The tactical result of an engagement forms the base for new strategic decisions because victory or defeat in a battle changes the situation to such a degree that no human acumen is able to see beyond the first battle. Therefore no plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force. Strategy is therefore a system of expedients. It is more than science, it is the translation of science into practical life, the development of an original leading thought in accordance with the ever-changing circumstances.

-Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

this quote describes a master tactician and organizer.

Von Moltke himself used this not as a justification for not having a plan, but as a justification for having hundreds of contingency plans written up ahead of time each accounting for slight variations of situational details, while at the same time recognizing that it only a matter of time until something not accounted for occurred and that as such a leader must be able to think on his feet when the time comes. In short he advocated for the creation of Xanatos gambits, while at the same time learning to play Xanatos Speed Chess and mastering the Indy Ploy.

8BitNinja
2016-04-08, 01:29 PM
"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds because rough men are ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

A Paladin or Good-Aligned Fighter, probably the sole defender of a village

eru001
2016-04-08, 02:19 PM
Though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death you need fear no evil. For I have cleared the way.

-Good Ranger

Cluedrew
2016-04-13, 08:12 PM
-Chasing then Sunset

A charming character who speaks in verse. Anyone who can play a character who speaks in poetry in a live role-playing game has my respect by the way.Here I thing means 'suffer' or 'give up something' an not necessarily bleed in the literal sense. So someone who is willing to pore themselves into a fight/conflict. Either because they fell it is bigger than them or because they just don't give up.This is the adventurer who would not leave the house without a magic, silvered and cold steal weapon. With a particular twist that they hide their preparations for some reason.-Pre-WWI French General

Historical Note: As far as I can tell, the French only adopted the "white flag policy" after/during World War I. Still this quote may illustrate why they didn't do so well outside the world of glorious charges.

As for the character, someone who believes that the solution to every problem is to gloriously overwhelm the opposition.
Also, one I would like to pitch to the playground: "I've already been to the end of the road. There is nothing there."

GorinichSerpant
2016-04-13, 08:46 PM
Also, one I would like to pitch to the playground: "I've already been to the end of the road. There is nothing there."

An old experienced character like a Lich a Dragon or simply someone who managed to get to 20th level, that warns the PCs the path ahead is pointless. Bonus points if they are a sort of foil to the heroes, something they could become. Basically I'm imagining Saitama from One Punch Man but dramatic instead of comedically plain.

Belac93
2016-04-13, 09:36 PM
From the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

“Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.”

"I want to be a soldier. A hero."
"You'll grow out of it.”

“Words are like coin—it pays to hoard."
"Until you die on a bed of gold.”

“What are gods, after all, if not the perfect victims?”

"The only death I fear is dying ignorant.”

“The lesson of history is that no one learns.”

“The unnamed soldier is a gift. The named soldier--dead, melted wax--demands a response among the living...a response no-one can make. Names are no comfort, they're a call to answer the unanswerable. Why did she die, not him? Why do the survivors remain anonymous--as if cursed--while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

“Such is the vastness of his genius that he can outwit even himself.”

“Where is the library?”
“Turn right, proceed thirty-four paces, turn right again, twelve paces, then through door on the right, thirty-five paces, through archway on right another eleven paces, turn right one last time, fifteen paces, enter the door on the right.”
“Or, turn left, nineteen paces.”
“Aye.”

“Paranoia’s the assassin’s bedmate.”

8BitNinja
2016-04-13, 10:38 PM
"And they ask, "What is a Hero?"
though the answer's very clear,
He's the one who faces danger
when the darkness hovers near.
He will face the fiercest foe
when another needs his aid,
He will dare to defy Death
even though he is afraid,
He works not just for glory
and he does it not for gain,
But because he knows that others
will be spared a greater pain.
He won't always follow orders,
for he dares to answer, "Why?"
And unless he likes the reason,
he refuses to comply,
He will brave the battle boldly
even though he may not win,
He will face his fate unflinching,
for he is a Paladin.
And they ask "What is a Hero?"
though the answer's evident,
He's the one who faces death
knowing that his life's well spent."

— Quest for Glory II: Trial By Fire

This is a good one for a good PC that has made a difference in the world, probably level 20, and probably killed a lot of evils

HalfTangible
2016-04-13, 10:43 PM
"We are the gods
of the new world order
We are the soldiers,
the legion of light.
We are the center
The death of the sun
Fire and flame
We are one"
-Triarii, "We Are One"

The saying of a nation or military. Either way, it's proud and self-righteous.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-04-14, 03:03 AM
"My center is crumbling, my right is in retreat, my left has been split. My position is excellent. Attack!" -Pre-WWI French General

Historical Note: As far as I can tell, the French only adopted the "white flag policy" after/during World War I. Still this quote may illustrate why they didn't do so well outside the world of glorious charges.

I wouldn't exactly call Marshal Foch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Foch) a Pre-WWI French General. And your 'historical note' is about as far from the policy of the French, and Foch in particular, as it is conceivably possible to be.

Cluedrew
2016-04-14, 07:20 AM
An old experienced character like a Lich a Dragon or simply someone who managed to get to 20th level, that warns the PCs the path ahead is pointless. Bonus points if they are a sort of foil to the heroes, something they could become. Basically I'm imagining Saitama from One Punch Man but dramatic instead of comedically plain.I like this interpretation. For some reason the quote made me thing "its the journey, not the destination" but I was having trouble working it out post that.

To TheTeaMustFlow: My apologies, I was misinformed and didn't check my facts. Thank-you for the correction. Although I maintain I could have been a lot more incorrect than that.

8BitNinja
2016-04-14, 01:26 PM
"YOU HERETIC" -Every Space Marine ever, Warhammer 40,000

A good one for a Spanish Inquisition type character

eru001
2016-04-15, 09:11 AM
Where angels fear to go, I walk. Where demons fear to tread, I live.
-Powerful Neutral character

I ***** the Lady and her truce. A pox on the gods. Damn Jupiter, Minerva, Fortune, Damn them all. I am a son of Hades, and you shall fear me.
-Lucillius Vorenus. crossing the moral event horizon. Rome.

Thus ever to tyrants (Sic Semper Tyranus)
-Cassius after the assassination of Julius Caesar (later quoted by John Wilks Booth)

If we shadows have offended think but this and all is mended. that you have but slumbered here while these visions did appear. And this weak and Idle theme. no more yielding but a dream. Gentils do not reprehend. If you pardon, we shall mend. Else the Puck a liar call, so good night unto you all. Take my hand if we be friends, and Robin shall restore amends.
-Puck's speech, A Midsummer Night's Dream, William Shakespeare.

8BitNinja
2016-04-15, 10:43 AM
"Shall all of great Neptune's Ocean wash this blood. Clean from my hand?"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth

A good one for a murderer, but also has some regret for what he has done

Oramac
2016-04-15, 01:42 PM
Still reading, so I apologize if this has been said, but I wanted to get it up while I'm thinking about it:

I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do isn't very nice.

- Wolverine

8BitNinja
2016-04-15, 02:20 PM
"I find your lack of faith disturbing" -Darth Vader, Star Wars

A good one for a cleric or paladin in a group of not-as-religious PCs

eru001
2016-04-18, 02:27 PM
Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
-General George S. Patton

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country
-JFK

NUTS
-Anthony McAullife, response to German demands for surrender at Battle of the Bulge

8BitNinja
2016-04-18, 02:33 PM
"Barry, if there’s one thing I can be totally honest about, it’s that I would happily lie to your face." - Brian Wecht (AKA, Ninja Brian)

A good one for an evil character, especially one that would backstab his party members

Zman
2016-04-18, 02:47 PM
"Nu-uh, I bet I can... hold my ale!" -Bargg

8BitNinja
2016-04-18, 05:04 PM
"Hello, my name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." -Indigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

A good one for a character who is on a quest of vengeance

HalfTangible
2016-04-18, 05:25 PM
"[I] would never try to trick you or stab you in the back. [I] would just stab you in the face over and over until your face stopped resembling a face."

A bloodthirsty warrior with a strong code.

8BitNinja
2016-04-18, 06:58 PM
" The only reason that you're conscious right now is because I don't want to carry you." - Jack Bauer, 24

Belac93
2016-04-18, 09:25 PM
“Wise words are like arrows flung at your forehead. What do you do? Why, you duck of course.”
-House of Chains
A character who knows they are dumb, but wants to keep it that way. Probably a barbarian.

“Witness.”
-Karsa Orlong, Midnight Tides
You might not get this as much if you haven't read the book, but this character pretty much thinks that the rest of the world is just there to witness what he does, and to be his own personal historian. And he is badass. A lot of people in those books are, but I think he might take the cake.

“Let no man pull you so low as to hate him.”
-Martin Luther King Jr.
Someone who is a nice person, and believes people can be redeemed.

“A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.”
-Winston S. Churchill
A charlatan, or some sort of liar.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
-The Wise Man's Fear
There is not a lot to say about this one, but; Storm sorcerer, Shadowcaster, monk.

Have I mentioned that I love this thread?

8BitNinja
2016-04-18, 10:10 PM
"The easy part was removing the brain, the hard part was removing the brain" -Professor Farnsworth, Futurama

Probably a good one for a smart, but very crazy person

eru001
2016-04-18, 10:18 PM
Ah, yes, your patented method of shoot first, shoot second, shoot some more, and when everyone's dead try and ask questions.
- wild wild west

when in doubt C4
-Adam Savage

When taking fire, first shoot back, then take cover, then identify where the shooting is coming from, in that order.
-My ROTC battalion Sergeant.

VIVA LA MUERTE (Translation: Long Live Death)
-Battle cry of the Spanish Foreign Legion

Swamp Fox, Swamp Fox, Tail on his hat
Nobody Knows where the Swamp Fox At
Swamp Fox, Swamp Fox, hidin in the glen
He sneaks away for to strike again
-Ballad of Francis Marion

Soldiers, when I give the command to fire, fire straight at my heart. Wait for the order. It will be my last to you. I protest against my condemnation. I have fought a hundred battles for France, and not one against her ... Soldiers, fire
-Michel Ney, Marshal of France under Napoleon, commanding his own firining squad

8BitNinja
2016-04-19, 11:09 AM
"I will eat you" - Painis Cupcake, TF2 Machinima

A good one for a psychopath character who is also a cannibal

Kami2awa
2016-04-19, 12:27 PM
"When we kill someone, we do it looking them in the eye, and offering to buy them a drink in the next world."

An honorable barbarian type.

Kami2awa
2016-04-19, 12:36 PM
Here is another one from a friend

"Every night, a child will be scared to go to sleep because of an evil being under their bed or in their closet. Well I'll tell you that God made some people who will make monsters afraid to go to sleep at night"

- a good Fighter or Paladin

Aren't you scared of monsters?

No. They're scared of me.

- The Doctor

eru001
2016-04-19, 12:56 PM
All of the following are from Winston Churchill

In peace, strength, in war courage, in victory magnanimity.
-Any good aligned leader.

Gentlemen, if Satan himself were to declare war on Hitler, I shall at least give him favorable mention in the house of commons
-A leader who is ready and willing to do anything necessary to defeat the foe.

We shall show mercy, but never ask it.
-Any good aligned leader

Too often a man is known as strong and silent, but is only silent because he does not know what to say, and reputed strong because he has remained silent.
-A leader issuing a call to action

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping that it will eat him last.
-A good aligned leader deciding for war over diplomacy

Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver, the greater the general the more he contributes to maneuver and the less he demans in slaughter
-Any good aligned leader

never hold discussions with a monkey while the organ grinder is in the room
-a pragmatic diplomat

Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the Empire and its Commonwealth should last a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour.
-A good leader rallying the troops to war

8BitNinja
2016-04-19, 01:20 PM
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company." -George Washington

A good-aligned character who refuses to work with evil

falcon1
2016-04-19, 04:07 PM
“I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep. You may have heard of me.”- Kvothe, from the Name of the Wind

Anybody with a reputation that is well deserved

8BitNinja
2016-04-19, 04:16 PM
"Y'know, I think my favorite thing about being a hero of destiny is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in your way." -Black Mage, 8 Bit Theatre

A good one for an evil character in a good group

Lord Raziere
2016-04-22, 06:43 PM
"How do you know if a person is truly just? Kill an innocent that they hate. If they do nothing and smile, they are nothing but a scoundrel and not truly just. If they draw their sword and kill you because doing that was wrong, they are truly just and righteous."

eru001
2016-04-22, 06:59 PM
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion, by the juice of the brew that I stimulate thought. Do not disturb me as I prepare it. Do not interrupt this sacred ritual.
-a person who really likes tea, or is incredibly british

Cluedrew
2016-04-22, 08:29 PM
"The easy part was removing the brain, the hard part was removing the brain" -Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
Reminds me of a game I played once that had a mad scientist character with a move that caused two characters to switch places. It was called "full body transplant".

when in doubt C4
-Adam SavageDidn't that come from Jamie? Well I know who said this one:
-Adam Savage

Anyone who works with forces they can't quite control... and may explode if things go wrong. The pyro, certain varieties of wizard, maybe a psychic depending on how that works in the setting.

As it turns out, someone does indeed expect the Spanish Inquisition. Although it doesn't actually appear to be a reasonable guess in this case. Or maybe everyone else is just unsuspecting.

A paranoid, a conspiracy theorist or both. Or someone who sees what is going on too well, but I like the more comedic view.Someone who fights for the little things. And might be losing it just a bit.Someone who did something that they didn't really think the world cared about, but as it turns out the world did. Or someone who was famous, but is pleasantly surprised to find that they were not completely forgotten.

As an aside, I think this is a great idea for when you need to introduce a higher level character into the store rather suddenly (ex: new PC).A primary caster who has multi-classed into a hand-to-hand combat. Or in a classless system, someone with a lot of magic ability, but not an insignificant amount of punching ability on top of that.

Slightly higher tier characters might be required to make someone sufficiently competent.Well the generic answer is an immortal who has grown tired of watching the people grow old and die around them. But I wanted something else. One idea I have is someone who dedicated their life to something and were willing to die for it, but they realized it wasn't quite the cause they were hoping for, or they succeeded and now they feel lost. Or even "life free, die young" type that didn't die entirely by accident.There is an interesting mix of lawful and chaotic traits here. Although they seem to have enough respect for authority (or at least these teachers) to tell them about what is going on (plus are consistent enough that their friend called it) they are perfectly happy to spontaneously skip school. If it wasn't spontaneous, I think the teachers would already know.

Although I'm not entirely sure what that makes this character, besides interesting.

Have I mentioned that I love this thread?That just means we are all doing good work. Also I like the one about the gentle man.

8BitNinja
2016-04-23, 01:08 AM
"We are born by the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood" - Bloodborne

A good one for a character with a really violent past and present

Excession
2016-04-23, 04:10 AM
I like the one about the gentle man.

A couple of related quotes, both from Doctor Who:

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

"Give a good man firepower, and he'll never run out of people to kill."

falcon1
2016-04-23, 09:45 AM
"Hello. I'm The Doctor. Basically...Run."

"He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and can see the turn of the universe and... he's wonderful." - Tim Latimer in "The Family of Blood"

Dalek: You will be exterminated!

River: Not yet. Your systems are still restoring, which means your shield density is compromised. One alpha-meson burst through your eyestalk would kill you stone dead.

Dalek: Records indicate you will show mercy. You are an associate of the Doctor's.

River: I'm River Song. Check your records again. [aims for the eye-stalk]

Dalek: [uneasily] Mercy?

River: Say it again?

Dalek: Mercy!

River: One more time.

Dalek: Mercy!!!

More Doctor Who

eru001
2016-04-23, 10:39 AM
There are some things in life violence can't solve, for everything else, theres .50 cal

8BitNinja
2016-04-23, 10:46 AM
"Gentlemen, synchronize your death watches." -Spy, Team Fortress 2

A good one for either a character who loves to use AoE or explosions. Or a character who constantly brings his party on suicide missions

goto124
2016-04-24, 01:42 AM
Someone who did something that they didn't really think the world cared about, but as it turns out the world did. Or someone who was famous, but is pleasantly surprised to find that they were not completely forgotten.

As an aside, I think this is a great idea for when you need to introduce a higher level character into the store rather suddenly (ex: new PC).

A famous person who doesn't want to be famous, whose wants consist of peace and quiet... but the world won't have that. "What do you mean, ANOTHER autograph? Why can't I have an uninterrupted lunch?!"

eru001
2016-04-25, 10:50 AM
Of course I went to college. I went to sergeant school, I majored in screaming and I minored in OO-RAH

Sgt Johnson was my senior mentor when I was in Sergeant school. He wrote a masters thesis on buttkicking that redefined the way we think of headlocks.
-Sarge Red vs Blue

8BitNinja
2016-04-25, 11:53 AM
"I'm not looking for judgement, just a yes or no. Can you assimilate a giraffe?" - Rick, Rick and Morty

Cluedrew
2016-04-27, 04:08 PM
Not your traditional princess. But in a tom-boy sort of way, just willing to fight when they have to.-Seeds

And older bard-type who is not afraid to be self referential.-Take Off

A very diplomatic sort and irrepressibly friendly.This sounds like the person who helps the main character(s) but then turns out to be evil later. Except this one seems to be telling them that up front... An interesting idea but I am not sure exactly how you would pull that off.There seems to be a definite optimistic tone here, but I can't help but they notice they use of the word weapon. They are not just holding on, but they are striking back.-Potato Potato Von Spudsworth 3 (A random commenter, I think it is original.)

Someone who is... not quite a coward but doesn't really respect courage as a virtue. Staying alive is important, glory is not.Also I like your interpretation of that quote goto124, public reputation is something that is not often touched in RPGs.

eru001
2016-04-27, 04:08 PM
You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than you can with just a kind word.
-Al Capone

8BitNinja
2016-04-27, 04:50 PM
Also I like your interpretation of that quote goto124, public reputation is something that is not often touched in RPGs.

While not that good, I boiled reputation down to a mechanic in my RPGs, in fact, I added a Reputation counter before I added an Alignment counter

Cluedrew
2016-04-27, 06:27 PM
Oh, I know it has been done, but rarely does it receive much attention. Many RPGs focus almost entirely on a character's personal power and traits (current D&D almost exclusively so) so there is not as much as that external...

There is a lot of focus on "how does that character act in the world" and little "how does the world act towards the character".

goto124
2016-04-28, 10:31 AM
Also I like your interpretation of that quote goto124, public reputation is something that is not often touched in RPGs.

Thank you, and prepare for more alternate interpretations! And a nitpick at the end.

-Take Off

A very diplomatic sort and irrepressibly friendly.

... who also knows how to snark in a smart and subtle manner. The diplomat knows the aggressor is deliberately trying to stir up trouble, but will not react it to or let the bully win.

This sounds like the person who helps the main character(s) but then turns out to be evil later. Except this one seems to be telling them that up front... An interesting idea but I am not sure exactly how you would pull that off.

Assuming it's a "person" talking to a "party".

The person could be genuinely helping out, but begrudgingly. Maybe the party members just aren't the kind said person likes, to put it mildly... but the world needs to be saved and most people like to have a world to live in. Either way, the person does not want to work with the party but has no real choice anyway, and must make sure the party succeeds.

"I am not your friend" means "Don't get too chummy with me, I actually hate you guys and wish I didn't have to do this".

"Never lie to you" could also mean a character who has taken an oath or personal promise to never lie.

Not your traditional princess. But in a tom-boy sort of way, just willing to fight when they have to.

"Tomboyish" does sound weird in that "protecting your home" is made to be a "masculine" thing. It attaches gender to something that could otherwise be ungendered.

My reaction to the estate's walls poring down oil would not be "I didn't expect a noble woman to do something useful". It would be "Oil down the walls! She's so smart, coming up with ideas like that". Same reaction as if the noble had been a man instead. I wouldn't be surprised that she's planted defenses on her own estate, even if I'm surprised at the design of the defenses themselves. To me, it seems rather normal for an noble to protect their property, regardless of gender. Why be so shocked that a noble protected their property just because the noble happens to be female?

Then again I'm sensitive to anything resembling gender roles. IMHO, on top of letting females do "masculine" things, we should stop associating actions with genders.

8BitNinja
2016-04-28, 12:51 PM
"Tomboyish" does sound weird in that "protecting your home" is made to be a "masculine" thing. It attaches gender to something that could otherwise be ungendered.

My reaction to the estate's walls poring down oil would not be "I didn't expect a noble woman to do something useful". It would be "Oil down the walls! She's so smart, coming up with ideas like that". Same reaction as if the noble had been a man instead. I wouldn't be surprised that she's planted defenses on her own estate, even if I'm surprised at the design of the defenses themselves. To me, it seems rather normal for an noble to protect their property, regardless of gender. Why be so shocked that a noble protected their property just because the noble happens to be female?

Then again I'm sensitive to anything resembling gender roles. IMHO, on top of letting females do "masculine" things, we should stop associating actions with genders.

I'm not going to argue about this, I don't want to argue about this, but think about it in the context of the time period this quote would've been used from. (Almost) No one in Medieval/Renaissance society would expect a Noblewoman to do that

PersonMan
2016-04-28, 04:26 PM
A King, The Wealthiest merchant in Venice, the Pope, and a common soldier with a sword are locked in the room. From outside comes the order, "two men may leave the others must be killed". Who leaves the room? The answer is simple, the soldier, and whomever he esteems most. For though all three other men might command more power outside the room, that power is outside, while the soldier and his sword are inside. While the king outside could order him killed, the Pope might order him burned, or the Merchant might buy assassins, those are all outside, these men have left their power at the door, the soldier with his sword, has brought his full might with him.

Honestly, I don't see anything inherently non-Good about this.

It's also easily modified to be 'a [PC class] and these important people', so I wouldn't even say it's limited to a fighter-type.

8BitNinja
2016-04-28, 04:49 PM
"Lesson! Lesson! If you see a stranger, follow him" -Ed, Cowboy Bebop

HalfTangible
2016-04-28, 08:08 PM
A King, The Wealthiest merchant in Venice, the Pope, and a common soldier with a sword are locked in the room. From outside comes the order, "two men may leave the others must be killed". Who leaves the room?

"The merchant and the king, because that is the best chance for stability. The soldier would rather kill himself than turn on his king, and if the Pope dies he will be replaced quickly in a council. If the King dies, his sons will wage civil war for his throne; if the merchant dies, he will leave a massive power vacuum in Venice. Furthermore, while it's true that the soldier is the one with the power in that room, sooner or later he will have to leave it and deal with the consequences of murdering two men of such power as a king, a pope, and the wealthiest merchant in Venice."

Lawful Neutral character

Tentreto
2016-04-28, 08:48 PM
'In the end, death tricks us all'
Tricksters at death events in King of Dragon Pass
For somewhat melancholy chaotics.

Any version of 'to be a pilgrim' for paladins and clerics, or general faithful characters.

'I'm a pessimist so things always turn out better than I hoped'

8BitNinja
2016-04-28, 11:06 PM
"The merchant and the king, because that is the best chance for stability. The soldier would rather kill himself than turn on his king, and if the Pope dies he will be replaced quickly in a council. If the King dies, his sons will wage civil war for his throne; if the merchant dies, he will leave a massive power vacuum in Venice. Furthermore, while it's true that the soldier is the one with the power in that room, sooner or later he will have to leave it and deal with the consequences of murdering two men of such power as a king, a pope, and the wealthiest merchant in Venice."

Lawful Neutral character

Nice job manipulating the quote

eru001
2016-04-29, 12:36 AM

Lawful Neutral character

by that logic it should be the king and the soldier. For the soldier esteems the king most. The pope as you say, would be replaced. and the resulting power vacuum in Venice will make that particular city much more easier for the king to seize. this is of course assuming that the soldier esteems the king.

Suppose he doesn't like the king?

entirely possible that he immediately stares down the king and shouts "I NEVER LIKED YOU ANYWAY!" prior to cutting him down

also wouldn't the soldier killing himself to preserve stability be more of a lawful good than lawful neutral? Self sacrifice for the benefit of others is kind of good's shtick.

and in the name of putting the thread back on the rails.

"The best of intentions? Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best of intentions."
-Dr Grant. Jurassic Park 3

HalfTangible
2016-04-29, 12:51 AM
by that logic it should be the king and the soldier. For the soldier esteems the king most. The pope as you say, would be replaced. and the resulting power vacuum in Venice will make that particular city much more easier for the king to seize. this is of course assuming that the soldier esteems the king.

I presumed that Venice was already under the king's control or about to enter an alliance with him, else why would they all be in the same room? Same reason I presumed that the soldier was the king's.

Suppose he doesn't like the king?

entirely possible that he immediately stares down the king and shouts "I NEVER LIKED YOU ANYWAY!" prior to cutting him down

also wouldn't the soldier killing himself to preserve stability be more of a lawful good than lawful neutral? Self sacrifice for the benefit of others is kind of good's shtick.THE SOLDIER ISN'T THE GUY PRESENTING THE QUOTE. HE CAN'T BE. HE'S DEAAAAD!! :smalltongue: (also it's arguable that killing the messenger of a LG god over the cutthroat businessman and the probable tyrant IS an evil act)

Look, it's character a quote, not a gorram logic puzzle. This is how that PARTICULAR CHARACTER would answer the riddle. Lawful Neutral in this case means that the question of who is most or least moral to kill never even crossed his mind; he thought to the immediate aftermath.

Otherwise I'd be asking why you assume the soldier belongs to the king.

"Didn't you do that?"

Shut up.

and in the name of putting the thread back on the rails.

"The best of intentions? Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best of intentions."
-Dr Grant. Jurassic Park 3

That movie was horrible.

"Why focus on the possibility of death? Today is a day of victory!"
"That's just it, Thaddeus; your death is not merely possible, it is a certainty. Maybe in this war, maybe in another; one day you will die, and on that day the thrill of victory will be very far away. So save some of that victorious cheer, for when the end comes." -Cyrus, Dawn of War 2

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-04-29, 08:19 AM

"So kick the damn door down!" - Fighter capable of lateral thinking.

Others:

Little frog, I can swim.
-An alternative ending to the Scorpion and the Frog fable, good for the practical traitor.

Men can have friends, statesmen cannot.
No policy is worth anything outside of reality.
The sword is the axis of the world and grandeur cannot be divided.
Nothing great is done without great men, and they are great because they wanted it.
The leader is always alone before bad fates.
- for a 'Cynical Good' leader or politician.

You know the dog's the only one who likes you, right?
- Self explanatory.

William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!
Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

The Duke of Norfolk: Damn it, Thomas, look at these names! Why can't you do as I did and come with us, for fellowship!
Sir Thomas More: And when we die, and you are sent to heaven for doing your conscience, and I am sent to hell for not doing mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?

Sir Thomas More: I do none harm, I say none harm, I think none harm. And if this be not enough to keep a man alive, in good faith I long not to live.

Margaret More: Father, that man's bad.
Sir Thomas More: There's no law against that.
William Roper: There is: God's law.
Sir Thomas More: Then God can arrest him.

Sir Thomas More: Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Wales?
-More is a very good model for a Lawful Good character with emphasis on the Lawful. (At least, the More in the play is. The real More, a little less - might want to lay off the heretic-burning a little.)

eru001
2016-04-29, 11:25 AM
"You want flints, I have 6000 available at the snap of my fingers, you need powder, I can provide dozens of kegs, you need muskets, cannon, food, men? all that can be yours and with my compliments, all I ask in return is a pardon for myself and my men, and a chance to kill some Englishmen."

The pirate captain Jean Laffite, said to General Andrew Jackson prior to the battle of New Orleans. (Shortly thereafter some pirates were pardoned)

In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

-Thomas Jefferson

Our government is founded upon the intelligence of the people. I for one do not despair of the republic. I for one have great confidence in the virtue of the great majority of the people, and I cannot fear the result.

- Andrew Jackson

Cluedrew
2016-04-29, 06:51 PM
Not your traditional princess. But in a tom-boy sort of way, just willing to fight when they have to.

Then again I'm sensitive to anything resembling gender roles. IMHO, on top of letting females do "masculine" things, we should stop associating actions with genders.I'm aware of your stances on that (and I rather enjoyed the art project that came from it) and I think that is actually is actually the point of the quote. I forgot to source this one (part of the reason I'm writing this) but it comes from the Protector of the Small (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protector_of_the_Small) series which is about a female knight. I forget which book in the series. I'm going to guess Page with Squire as my number two choice but it has been too long for me to remember exactly. This little exchange was supposed to highlight that females fighting was not as weird as the sexist age it was set in would like to think.

My intent on the matter might have been a bit more clear if a typo hadn't removed the word not from in front of tomboy.

To TheTeaMustFlow: I like the 'A Man for All Seasons' quotes. Good collection there.

I could say some sort of alluring evil, but at the same time I don't think this would be said to them. So I'm going to go with a good person with a really rough, horrible even, exterior.Someone with unending determination that keeps them going far beyond their limits. I suppose some super-durability or regeneration ability could also work, but... I guess I just don't like that as much? It seems off but I'm not sure why.

8BitNinja
2016-04-29, 08:54 PM
"You want flints, I have 6000 available at the snap of my fingers, you need powder, I can provide dozens of kegs, you need muskets, cannon, food, men? all that can be yours and with my compliments, all I ask in return is a pardon for myself and my men, and a chance to kill some Englishmen."

The pirate captain Jean Laffite, said to General Andrew Jackson prior to the battle of New Orleans. (Shortly thereafter some pirates were pardoned)

In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

-Thomas Jefferson

Our government is founded upon the intelligence of the people. I for one do not despair of the republic. I for one have great confidence in the virtue of the great majority of the people, and I cannot fear the result.

- Andrew Jackson

I love all these quotes

They're so America

Conundrumist
2016-04-29, 09:24 PM
There are no victories, there's only the battle. And the best that you could hope for is that you find some place where you can make your stand. If this is your spot, I will stand with you.
--Roy Montgomery, Castle(TV Series)