PDA

View Full Version : Can you spell thief?

pantoffelheld
2007-06-10, 03:00 PM
I mean, seriously, theif? It's THIEF. Not theif!!

ahem

Sorry about that. What I wanted to talk with you about is, suprisingly, the Spellthief. Today is the first time I've encountered this class, and I already fell in love with it. After reading Fax_Celestis Guide To Being a Spellthief (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44299), I was really excited about the concept. When I read his post in the topic Raise a glass for the underpowered (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38084),
I'm a gigantic fan of the Spellthief (in particular, Spellthief Dromites). No one seems to like them besides me, though. I felt the urge to join him in the love for the bold, challenging, slick Spellthief.

So today I ask the people of Giantitp if they can help me building a Spellthief that's decent enough not to be killed in the first encounter. Things I have decided for myself are:

Books: practically anything which can be found on the internet. We only have the Core and Eberron Campaign Setting at home though, but my DM can be bribed.
Level: 4, almost 5
Race: Changeling. This will be my first campaign located in Eberron. Changeling appealed me the most of the four new races. I'm planning on using a lot of disguises, so that I will remain a mystery even for my party members.
Class: Spellthief! I was thinking of dipping one level in rogue for the extra sneak attack, the +2 on reflex and the insane skill points at first level. But I want Steal Spell-like Ability so badly! So, should I stick to Spellthief all the way?
Fighting style: I don't really like ranged combat. I plan on keeping a few darts/throwing daggers, but will mostly fight melee. So, weapon finesse is the feat for me, right? Also, I will probably be two-weapon fighting, because more attacks = more sneak attacks. What weapons and feats do you recommend me? I was thinking of Improved Initiative but maybe there are better feats?
Spells: I'm a bit confused at this. at level 4 I should know 2 level-one spells, right? But what about level 0? does the Spellthief never learn the majesty of Prestigiditation or Mage Hand? Anyway, I have to pick two spells. Color Spray and Shield have drawn my attention. But Charm Person, Sleep, Disguise Self all have their uses, too. What spell are absolut must-haves when one has such a small repetoire?

Well, that about sums it up. I need help from you guys to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Is TWF wise? Is Color Spray really that ownage? aren't Spellthieves the coolest class you've ever seen? Should I put skill points in hide and move silently, or hope the Sorcerer casts invisibility on me? anything I overlooked?

I could use a name, too. I've thought of Ybrik, which is actually Kirby backwards. because both Kirby and the Spellthief use the power of the enemy against them, and they are also both made of pure awesomeness. I don't like the standard names for Changelings in the Eberron book, they look like Half-Orcs with only one syllable. blegh.

Thanks in advance!