PDA

View Full Version : Varsuvius's married!?!(comic 223)

Varsuvius_Pwns
2007-06-10, 04:20 PM
Doesn't anyone remeber how V said she was married in comic 223? And Why hasn't Rich expand on this? This is such a nagging question!

How can people not pay attention to this...

:vaarsuvius: is yay!

jindra34
2007-06-10, 04:22 PM
its been over 200 comics ago i think the stuff on it got deleted but i am pretty sure something that big got debated to death...

Saithis Bladewing
2007-06-10, 04:23 PM
There was all kinds of theorising and debates and potential ideas and theories about it back when it came out. It's been a long time and a lot of other, more relevant issues have come up since.

I believe some of the more popular theories at the time included:

V's mate was Pompey's father/mother.
V's mate would look almost identical and was equally androgynous.
V's mate was Pompey.

Krytha
2007-06-10, 04:28 PM
I thought Pompey was 47... and V is much, much older...

Lizard Lord
2007-06-10, 04:28 PM
Those theories couldn't have been from when that comic first came out though. Pompey wasn't around then.

Varsuvius_Pwns
2007-06-10, 04:29 PM
Ya, i guess. I've read the comic for about two years, but I'm sorta new at the thread. The biggest V debate is probably if he's a buy or girl (and until we know that, we can't know exactly who his/her husband/wife is). And also, if Rich made V say who he/she is married t, it might suggest hs/her gender.

ENOUGH OF THE DARN HE/HERs!!!!!!!!!!!!:furious:

And yer right, Pompey is way too young.

TheNovak
2007-06-10, 04:49 PM
There's also the theory that V's married to the druid chick from the Order of the Scribble, but I think there's a pretty big age gap. And On the Origin of PCs says......that V's parents were both rangers. So she's probably not hir mother, either.

Eh, I'm not all that concerned about finding out either way. And I doubt the Giant is, either.

EDIT: Lost my train-of-thought mid-paragraph. Fixed.

EDIT 2: Hey! I've reached Dwarf status! Now I have to stop posting before I get something less awesome...

Icewalker
2007-06-10, 04:57 PM
Well my theory which has been shot down for being unreasonably and a total guess, which it is, is that (Origins)V's mate is Aarindarius, an equally androgynous elf who taught hir magic.

Silvermike
2007-06-10, 05:53 PM
And, don't forget, V's mate's gender doesn't necessarily determine V's. If they don't take gender too seriously (V comments once that he fails to see the relevance of if the - oracle? I forget - is male or female) there's even less reason to think that they view it as a necessary condition for choosing a mate.

Note: Suggestion - instead of getting bogged down with ambiguous pronouns (he/she, etc.), why don't we just use "V"? It's shorter, anyway.

TheNovak
2007-06-10, 05:56 PM
"V" and "hir" are what I use. I think they work pretty well :smallsmile:

Raistlin1040
2007-06-10, 06:07 PM
V's gay. That's the really big theory I remember, other than the Pompey's mother/father theory.

hanzo66
2007-06-10, 06:27 PM
I'd just say a pallette swap of V's appearance, an Elf with Red hair and puple robes or something around the lines.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-10, 07:30 PM
There's also the theory that V's married to the druid chick from the Order of the Scribble, but I think there's a pretty big age gap. And On the Origin of PCs says......that V's parents were both rangers. So she's probably not hir mother, either.

While there is no support of any kind that is rather possible. I don't remember the dates but by some the timeline I've seen V is older than Soon who would be younger then Lirian.

Course the only real support is a lack of elven characters. (And of course it would largely settle the gender issue, which means it can't be since it now a running gag)

TheNovak
2007-06-10, 07:41 PM
Well, again bringing up On the Origins of PCs spoilers...

...V spent 20 years in diapers, and was apprenticed as a mage for 60 years before leaving elven lands. V didn't adventure or anything in the intervening time. So, I'd estimate about 85-90 years old, maybe a bit more.

Shojo is something around 80 years old, according to Roy, and he was a little kid when Soon formed the Sapphire Guard. So I'd estimate Soon's at least 15-20 years older than V.

PirateMonk
2007-06-10, 07:51 PM
Well, again bringing up On the Origins of PCs spoilers...

...V spent 20 years in diapers, and was apprenticed as a mage for 60 years before leaving elven lands. V didn't adventure or anything in the intervening time. So, I'd estimate about 85-90 years old, maybe a bit more.

Shojo is something around 80 years old, according to Roy, and he was a little kid when Soon formed the Sapphire Guard. So I'd estimate Soon's at least 15-20 years older than V.

V said 103 on the application form in Origins. I think 110 also came up somewhere in the online comic.

Varsuvius_Pwns
2007-06-10, 07:52 PM
V might be married to Soon, i doubt it though. V would probably be married to another elf, but its always a probabilty that V is married to another race.

Can't bicture V with a halfling or dwarf though.
:vaarsuvius: + :belkar: or :durkon: :smalleek:

TheNovak
2007-06-10, 08:12 PM
V said 103 on the application form in Origins. I think 110 also came up somewhere in the online comic.

Oh yeah. Duh! Forgot about that bit, good call.

jindra34
2007-06-10, 08:15 PM
V might be married to Soon, i doubt it though. V would probably be married to another elf, but its always a probabilty that V is married to another race.

Can't bicture V with a halfling or dwarf though.
:vaarsuvius: + :belkar: or :durkon: :smalleek:

The answer has been stated so you do not need to speculate...

Draz74
2007-06-10, 08:16 PM
Hmmm. 103 seems too young, in light of this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0126.html). I guess :vaarsuvius:'s using the term "century" loosely here.

TheNovak
2007-06-10, 08:18 PM
I don't have the printed collection, but I believe I've read something on this board about Rich mentioning he screwed that up in his commentary.

Faramir
2007-06-10, 08:38 PM
V's gay. That's the really big theory I remember, other than the Pompey's mother/father theory.

Well, that theory did get a little support by hir fondness for Judy Garland:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0397.html

Setra
2007-06-10, 08:41 PM
Well, that theory did get a little support by hir fondness for Judy Garland:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0397.html
Yeah but I think it's more because V's an elf.

TheNovak
2007-06-10, 10:08 PM
Elf, gay. Same dif.

I'm sorry, the dwarven part of my brain took over there. No offense meant to folks who aren't sissy elves :smalltongue:

basilisk 89
2007-06-10, 10:13 PM
My theory is that V's mate is a nameless NPC who won't ever come into the comic as an actual character.

Varsuvius_Pwns
2007-06-11, 07:21 AM
Basilisk is probably right, V's partner is probably just some nameless npc that will never come into the story line. Unless the Pompeys mother/father idea was right, because you notice that Rich never made V and Pompey actually meet, therefore it might be a small sidequest for later.

The other and last option is that V's gay or lesbian...:smallamused:

It's too big of the loose end to leave like that! We'll meet V's mate, before the end...

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-06-11, 09:42 AM
I do believe my favourite theory on V's mate is this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2724258#post2724258), proposed by truemane. His logic is infallible!

RobbyPants
2007-06-11, 12:37 PM
Ya, i guess. I've read the comic for about two years, but I'm sorta new at the thread. The biggest V debate is probably if he's a buy or girl (and until we know that, we can't know exactly who his/her husband/wife is). And also, if Rich made V say who he/she is married t, it might suggest hs/her gender.

ENOUGH OF THE DARN HE/HERs!!!!!!!!!!!!:furious:

And yer right, Pompey is way too young.
My take on it is that the only reason Rich wrote this bit in was to further poke fun of V's androgeny. The fact that it hasn't been mentioned in 200+ strips makes me feel this way even more.

As Belkar said: "So.... many.... questions..."

esmerelder
2007-06-11, 02:37 PM
Just out of curiousity... do we have any evidence to suggest whether V's mate is or is not still alive?

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-11, 02:48 PM
Maybe V is insane and in fact has no mate?

Tirian
2007-06-11, 02:57 PM
V stuck with the team post-Durokon to gain knowledge on the foundations of the universe. We've never seen the slightest hint that there is anything personal regarding the gates or the evil forces arrayed against OOTS.

So, one more vote for V's mate being a heretofore nameless NPC who Rich will probably introduce us to someday just because it will be so high-larious to meet another character with no discenrable gender cues.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-12, 05:33 AM
V stuck with the team post-Durokon to gain knowledge on the foundations of the universe. We've never seen the slightest hint that there is anything personal regarding the gates or the evil forces arrayed against OOTS.

So, one more vote for V's mate being a heretofore nameless NPC who Rich will probably introduce us to someday just because it will be so high-larious to meet another character with no discenrable gender cues.

Or maybe V's mate will have a very clear gender but then someone (Belkar?) will speculate over V's sexuality?

Ridureyu
2007-06-12, 05:41 AM
Obviously, V's mate is Soon Kim.

Varsuvius_Pwns
2007-06-12, 07:11 AM
Well, I wouldn't be completely surprised if V wasn't insane (y'know, cause the magical rantings), and if there was anymore connection between V and Pompey, Rich probably would've said or drawn something by now.:smallannoyed:And I doubt Soon is V's husband because Soon had a wife in The Crayons of Time 1, and that would mean V knew Dorukan somehow.

Yeril
2007-06-12, 12:21 PM
v's spouse is either unnamed npc. equaly androgothingy npc. liran.

(although the liran would sorta contradict how he knows nothing about the gates, or even be the reason he IS so intrested in the gates)

and yes, I think V is a he.

we've seen male elfs, we've seen female elfs, V looks very much like male elf.

KSA
2007-06-12, 03:59 PM
In the commentary before Round 5: Turning Points from No Cure for the Paladin Blues, Rich wrote the following: "All I'm saying is that V's mate WILL be seen before the strip has run its course."

Braden
2007-06-12, 05:51 PM
And, don't forget, V's mate's gender doesn't necessarily determine V's. If they don't take gender too seriously (V comments once that he fails to see the relevance of if the - oracle? I forget - is male or female) there's even less reason to think that they view it as a necessary condition for choosing a mate.

Note: Suggestion - instead of getting bogged down with ambiguous pronouns (he/she, etc.), why don't we just use "V"? It's shorter, anyway.

I think the whole thing about the oracle was just on the reistablishment of V's ambiguity. If V had said a man or a woman, it would have shown a preference.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-06-12, 06:00 PM
When V was in the bar with the (disguised) Sabine, V mentions that if (s)he found hir mate in the arms of another elf (s)he would expend a good portion of hir not inconsiderable arcane power in defence of hir love. The semiexact text, adjusted as the original was in first person.

Varsuvius_Pwns
2007-06-13, 08:58 PM
All very interesting, and I think that V is a male, and that his wife will be somehow intertwined into the many dealings of his wizardly might, smiting evil in all its forms and using his awesome powers to render the likes of fighters and barbarians among other melee fighters useless. Yes, for shall a day come when melee class characters are forgotten in space and time and are cast away for the true call of wizardry and sorcery. Even holy spellcasters as clerics and paladins shall be cast into the abyss, my friends, if any class shall be named the greatest class of all, it shall be the wizards, awesome controllers of the universewill be the best class in the world!The forces of the very cosmos are theirs to command, yet still you cannot comprehend the dark dismal end in store for you and you’re wicked compatriots. Nay! Your little brains can only leave you gasping in horror as I bend reality to my very own will! The magic I wield is capable of rendering apart the universe-Nay, the whole multiverse, and in fact is wasted upon such pitiful creatures as yourself. But I shall bring it to bear nonetheless, and you shall rue the day I chose to wreak such unimaginable havoc on your lives with such sheer power of my arcane works. And lo, in days and years to come, when the children come to play in the smoking crater that once held your den of evil, they will know nothing of your wickedness, but shall feel the echoes of the past in the future today.
Bwahahahahaha!
*huff huff huff huff huff huff* :smallsigh:

Please continue, and keep on subject.