PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monk Tradition: Way of the Jedi

Dralnu
2015-12-04, 10:51 PM
MONK TRADITION: WAY OF THE JEDI (click me to view fancy PDF) (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwM20tcWpiOVRhVkU/view?usp=sharing)

Way of the Jedi
You follow a monastic tradition that teaches you to use the mystical energies of the Force. With a lightsaber in hand and command of the ever-present and limitless potential of the Force, you are a force to be reckoned with in both might and magic.

Spellcasting
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you augment your martial prowess with the ability to cast spells using the Force. See chapter 10 for the general rules of spellcasting.
Cantrips. You learn three cantrips: mage hand and two other cantrips of your choice from the jedi spell list. You learn an additional jedi cantrip of your choice at 10th level.
Spell Slots. The Jedi Spellcasting table shows how many spells slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
For example, if you know the 1st-level spell jump and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast jump using either slot.
Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher. You know three 1st-level jedi spells of your choice.
The Spells Known column of the Jedi Spellcasting table shows when you learn more jedi spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 7th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.
Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the jedi spells you know with another spell of your choice from the jedi spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
Spellcasting Ability. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your jedi spells, since you learn your spells through enlightenment and attunement to the Force. You use your Wisdom whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a jedi spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Lightsaber
At 3rd level, you learn an attunement ritual that transforms a one-handed melee weapon into a lightsaber. You perform the ritual over 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The weapon must be within your reach throughout the ritual, during which the weapon breaks apart into thousands of tiny floating shards that reconfigure themselves into a lightsaber hilt. If the lightsaber was made from a weapon with magical properties, those properties persist.
The lightsaber is a martial melee weapon with the Finesse and Light properties and sheds dim light in a 15-foot radius. It is considered a monk weapon and can be used with any monk ability that requires an unarmed strike or free hand, such as Flurry of Blows and Deflect Missiles.
The weapon is comprised of a hilt that, while held in your hand, can emit a blade of pure radiant energy without requiring an action. The blade’s damage is radiant, and its damage die is a d6. This die changes as you gain Monk levels, as shown in the Martial Arts column of the Monk table.
You can have up to two lightsabers created this way. If you attempt to create a third lightsaber, you must break your attunement with one of the other two lightsabers, which reverts the transformation back into the weapon it was previously.

Force Sense
At 6th level, you’ve become more attuned to the Force, the mystical energy that binds all living things together. You’ve learned to recognize these bonds and how they interact.
Your insight lets you feel the current emotional state of creatures within 30 feet of you: you can sense emotions such as fear, anger, amusement, confusion, etc. You have advantage on Insight checks on creatures whose emotions you sense, along with advantage on Animal Handling checks if applicable.
You can also detect the presence of creatures you can’t see within 30 feet of you. This ability penetrates barriers, but 2 feet of rock, 2 inches of any metal other than lead, or a thin sheet of lead blocks you. Emotionless creatures, such as most constructs, cannot be detected this way.
Additionally, you can forge a mystical bond with people that are very close to you, such as family members or close friends. To do so, you merely have to touch the willing person briefly while focusing on your emotional link. From then on, you can sense the most powerful emotions of the bonded individual, such as moments of extreme happiness or sadness, danger, or their death. You sense these feelings from any distance, even if you’re on a different plane than the bonded individual. The number of bonds you can form is equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1).

Bladeweaving
At 11th level, when you use the Attack action to strike with your lightsaber, the next spell you cast this turn with a casting time of 1 action can instead be cast as a bonus action by spending 2 ki points.

Shatterpoint
At 17th level, you see every fault line in your target; all you have to do is pour the Force into the cracks to shatter it. As a bonus action, choose a target you can see within 10 feet of you. Your next attack or spell against the target automatically succeeds (attack rolls hit and the target fails its saving throw) and ignores any resistances or immunities that would normally apply. If the attack or spell would deal damage, it deals double that damage.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short rest.

Jedi Spells

Cantrips (o Level)
Friends
Guidance
Mage Hand
Mending
Shocking Grasp
True Strike

1st Level
Absorb Elements*
Animal Friendship
Bane
Bless
Catapult*
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages
Command
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Disguise Self
Force Lightning **
Force Push **
Force Wave **
Healing Word
Heroism
Jump
Longstrider
Shield
Silent Image

2nd Level
Aid
Blur
Calm Emotions
Darkvision
Detect Thoughts
Enhance Ability
Enthrall
Force Choke**
Gentle Repose
Gust of Wind
Hold Person
Invisibility
Knock
Lesser Restoration
Levitate
Locate Object
Magic Weapon
Mirror Image
Phantasmal Force
Prayer of Healing
Saber Throw **
See Invcisibility
Suggestion

3rd Level
Aura of Vitality
Beacon of Hope
Call Lightning
Clairvoyance
Crusader’s Mantle
Fear
Force Blast**
Haste
Hypnotic Pattern
Major Image
Mass Healing Word
Nondetection
Plant Growth
Protection from Energy
Revivify
Sending
Tongues
Vampiric Touch

4th Level
Aura of Life
Aura of Purity
Compulsion
Confusion
Death Ward
Divinitation
Dominate Beast
Freedom of Movement
Greater Invisibility
Hallucinatory Terrain
Locate Creature
Phantasmal Killer

* Spell located in Elemental Evil: Player’s Companion.
** New spell located below.

NEW JEDI SPELLS:

Force Blast
3rd-level evocation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (40-foot cone)
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous

A blast of pure Force-energy erupts from your hands. Each creature in a 40-foot cube originating from you must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 5d8 force damage and is pushed 20 feet away from you and knocked prone. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed or knocked prone.
In addition, unsecured objects that are completely within the are of effect are automatically pushed 20 feet away from you by the spell’s effect.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 3rd.

Force Choke
2nd-level transmutation

Range: 60 feet
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

Choose a humanoid that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be paralyzed for the duration. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. On a success, the spell ends on the target.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the target takes 3d10 force damage for each slot level above 2nd at the start of each of its turns while the spell is in effect.

Force Lightning
1st-level evocation

Range: 30 feet
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

A beam of crackling, blue energy lances out toward a creature within range, forming a sustained arc of lightning between you and the target. Make a ranged spell attack against that creature. On a hit, the target takes 2d12 lightning damage, and its movement speed is halved for the duration. On each of your turns for the duration, you can use your action to deal 2d12 lightning damage to the target automatically. The spell ends if you use your action to do anything else. The spell also ends if the target is ever outside the spell’s range or if it has total cover from you.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 2d12 for each slot level above 1st.

Force Push
1st-level evocation

Casting Time: 1 bonus action

You slam a concussive burst of force at one creature within range. The target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the target is pushed 20 feet away from you and knocked prone. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed or knocked prone.
Force Wave
1st-level evocation

Range: Self (15-foot cube)

A wave of pure Force-energy pulses out from you. Each creature in a 15-foot cube originating from you must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 force damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed.
In addition, unsecured objects that are completely within the are of effect are automatically pushed 10 feet away from you by the spell’s effect.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 1st.

Force Weapon
3rd-level transmutation

Range: Touch
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

A nonmagical weapon you touch becomes a magic weapon. For the duration, the weapon has a +1 bonus to attack rolls and deals an extra 1d4 force damage when it hits.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th or 6th level, the bonus to attack rolls increases to +2 and the extra damage increases to 2d4. When you use a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the bonus increases to +3 and the extra damage increases to 3d4.

Saber Throw
2nd-level transmutation

Components: S, M (a lightsaber)

You toss your lightsaber, sending it spinning through the air in a line 30 feet long and 5 feet wide in a direction you choose before. Each creature in the line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d8 radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The lightsaber then returns back to your hand.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 2nd.

Under the Hood:

Spellcasting. Just like AT and EK. While those two are limited by the wizards spell list, requiring most of their choices from 2 schools of magic but still getting options from the entire list (Find Familiar is an easy choice at 3rd lvl for example), the Jedi spell list is a custom one I made up. It's a first draft form so it's subject to change based on feedback. I based my spell selection on this [jedi powers wiki](http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_power), a combination of light side, dark side, and neutral powers.

Lightsaber. It's a big section of fluff, mostly. The mechanical payoff is that your attacks do radiant damage. For comparison, Way of the Sun Soul also turn your attacks into radiant damage, but gives you a permanent +30ft range to them.

The lightsaber creation veers from official lore so the DM doesn't have to worry about incorporating the details of building a lightsaber in their story. I'm letting one-handed melee weapons be transformed into lightsabers so it doesn't feel totally lame when you find a magical weapon that is suddenly better than your iconic jedi weapon, and you're wondering if you should put away the lightsaber for the +2 club you just found.

Force Push. The damage looks weird at first but it's intentional to make it equal to Flurry of Blows. You're spending an extra ki point for the knockback + knockdown, and it doesn't require that you use the Attack action first like FoB does.

Bladeweaving. I love the idea of mixing "hitting things with your laser sword" with "casting pewpew spells" together into a glorious playstyle. It sounds super fun to me. You're replacing the bonus action strikes from Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows for a spell by spending ki. This is like the flipside of EK's Improved War Magic, but it comes earlier and it costs resources to use.

Shatterpoint. Concept from here. (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shatterpoint) Apparently Mace Windu was an expert at it. Sounds very cool.

New Jedi Spells:

Force Wave: reskinned Thunderwave
Force Lightning: shamelessly buffed up Witch Bolt, dealing double damage now because the PHB version is garbage (6.5 avg damage, less than a regular attack, require Concentration, ends immediately if you or target move 30ft away from each other). Now at 13 avg damage and good scaling it may be worth taking.
Force Choke: reskinned Hold Person, but instead of targeting additional creatures at higher lvls it does damage. (not satisfied with this)
Force Blast: Took Fireball, does less damage (Fireball 28 vs. 22.5 Blast) but has pushback + knockdown potential
Saber Throw: reskinned Aganazzar's Scorcher from EE
Force Weapon: reskinned Elemental Weapon

The spell list is still WIP. The choices are inferences based on the Force Powers wiki page. For example, there is mention of jedi healing abilities so I added some healing spells, but I'm not sure how much access they should have. Focusing on theme first then tweaking after.

Dralnu
2015-12-06, 06:44 PM
Bump. Added new jedi spells.

Dralnu
2015-12-08, 01:24 PM
Final bump.

New Shatterpoint:

Shatterpoint
At 17th level, you see every fault line in your target; all you have to do is pour the Force into the cracks to shatter it. As a bonus action, choose a target you can see within 10 feet of you. Your next attack or spell against the target automatically succeeds (attack rolls hit and the target fails its saving throw) and ignores any resistances or immunities that would normally apply. If the attack or spell would deal damage, it deals double that damage.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short rest.

I'm also maybe turning Force Push milestone into a 1st level bonus action line spell that does no damage but pushes and knocks prone on success. That would give me room for a milestone ability that doesn't fit as a spell, but I don't know what that would be.

Mith
2015-12-08, 03:42 PM
You probably will want a spell like Suggestion for "Jedi Mind Trick". Others that I can think of are Enhanced action (spend Ki to improve Jump for example). Perhaps Haste. Not sure how much you want to do for utility abilities such as Sending as well.

Dralnu
2015-12-08, 04:25 PM
You probably will want a spell like Suggestion for "Jedi Mind Trick". Others that I can think of are Enhanced action (spend Ki to improve Jump for example). Perhaps Haste. Not sure how much you want to do for utility abilities such as Sending as well.

The spell list has all those things.

Maybe it wasn't a good idea just to put a link to the fancy PDF. I pasted all of the class down into the OP.

Mith
2015-12-08, 07:27 PM
Huh. I was only getting one page off of the PDF loading, so I was obviously missing things.

Mith
2015-12-08, 07:35 PM
AFB, so are Monks allowed to use two Monk weapons without a Two Weapon Fighting Feat? Just thinking about the fact that one can have two lightsabers at any one time.

In any case, I like what I see. It might be considered too strong (I do not have enough experience to say whether a monk with access to spells like this has two many abilities) If others in the community say it checks out, then I would potentially use this in a game.

Submortimer
2015-12-08, 07:46 PM
AFB, so are Monks allowed to use two Monk weapons without a Two Weapon Fighting Feat? Just thinking about the fact that one can have two lightsabers at any one time.

In any case, I like what I see. It might be considered too strong (I do not have enough experience to say whether a monk with access to spells like this has two many abilities) If others in the community say it checks out, then I would potentially use this in a game.

Monks can TWF, but it's generally a poor idea: Flurry CANNOT be used with a weapon, only unarmed strikes, so you're losing out on one attack.

Dralnu
2015-12-08, 08:09 PM
I specifically worded the Lightsaber feature to allow use with Flurry of Blows and Deflect Missiles for flavor reasons. The lightsaber itself just follows unarmed strike damage so no damage increase there, but it does do radiant which is a superior damage source.

As for how OP it is, that's a tough one so I'm looking for feedback. Lots of variables. I'll assume due to the similar template, at least the base Rogue and Fighter are roughly equivalent since their subclasses are roughly the same power, but is the Monk? I think it is, and the reason why the designers didn't go for 1/3 caster for Monk was more a complexity issue, since base Monk is more complex than Fighter/Rogue with its ki system and adding spellcasting on top is admittedly more work than the others.

That's not even touching actual abilities and the spell lists themselves.

Draken
2015-12-08, 11:32 PM
Three things to note on the spells.

1. I feel like Force Choke, as a telekinetic effect, ought to be a Transmutation spell.

2. Force Wave is just a reskin on Thunderwave and it sort of shows. Arguably better due to lack of verbal component and slightly more versatile damage type.

3. I want to voice this before anyone else does. Yes, Force Lightning is a few miles ahead of Witch Bolt, this strikes me as quite fine, because Witch Bolt is garbage.

Dralnu
2015-12-09, 02:02 PM
Three things to note on the spells.

1. I feel like Force Choke, as a telekinetic effect, ought to be a Transmutation spell.

2. Force Wave is just a reskin on Thunderwave and it sort of shows. Arguably better due to lack of verbal component and slightly more versatile damage type.

3. I want to voice this before anyone else does. Yes, Force Lightning is a few miles ahead of Witch Bolt, this strikes me as quite fine, because Witch Bolt is garbage.

1. Fixed.

2. Most of the new spells are just reskins or little twists. Force Wave ideally I wanted it to be a sphere with you as its center but I don't think 5e does that.

3. Yeah, Witch Bolt is hot garbage, which is a shame because it undeniably IS Force Lightning.

My "fixed" version is double the effectiveness of Witch Bolt AND it halves the target's movement speed so they can't waltz out of range so easily. That's ~13 damage per round, compared to a Fire Bolt's ~5.5 damage before lvl 5 or ~11 damage after. Or compared to a Monk's at-will Attack + bonus Martial Arts ~11 damage pre-5 ([1d4+DEX]*2) or ~22.5 damage at 5th. And Force Lightning takes up your Concentration.

It's probably still a bad spell choice honestly.

So I'm probably going to change Force Push into a spell. I'm thinking this:

Force Blast
1st-level evocation

Casting Time: 1 bonus action

You slam a concussive burst of force at one creature within range. The target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the target is pushed 20 feet away from you and knocked prone. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed or knocked prone.

Bonus action push + prone, no damage. I'll make this change once I figure out a replacement 6th level ability.

Dralnu
2015-12-11, 02:22 PM
Force Push is now a spell instead of 6th level ability.

New 6th level ability, Force Sense:

Force Sense
At 6th level, you’ve become more attuned to the Force, the mystical energy that binds all living things together. You’ve learned to recognize these bonds and how they interact.
Your insight lets you feel the current emotional state of creatures within 30 feet of you: you can sense emotions such as fear, anger, amusement, confusion, etc. You have advantage on Insight checks on creatures whose emotions you sense, along with advantage on Animal Handling checks if applicable.
You can also detect the presence of creatures you can’t see within 30 feet of you. This ability penetrates barriers, but 2 feet of rock, 2 inches of any metal other than lead, or a thin sheet of lead blocks you. Emotionless creatures, such as most constructs, cannot be detected this way.
Additionally, you can forge a mystical bond with people that are very close to you, such as family members or close friends. To do so, you merely have to touch the willing person briefly while focusing on your emotional link. From then on, you can sense the most powerful emotions of the bonded individual, such as moments of extreme happiness or sadness, danger, or their death. You sense these feelings from any distance, even if you’re on a different plane than the bonded individual. The number of bonds you can form is equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1).