PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Armies

kyz
2007-06-10, 06:54 PM
I surely hope this is the right place for this sort of thing.

A friend of mine recently introduced me to the game/mindtrip known as Unknown Armies. I have been doing some looking on the internet for more information and just began to really crack into the book, but, from what I have seen so far, I have to say I really am interested.

So, I turn here for a bit of discussion. Anybody have any experience with this game? Also, how hard is it for somebody who has never played it to get into (in otherwords, how devilish are the rules)?

Rob Knotts
2007-06-10, 11:16 PM
Never had the chance to play it, all I can tell is that it's the source of my favourite Kenneth Hite quote (http://www.gamingreport.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=printpage&artid=73):
I didn't really get a feeling for "British gaming" as compared to American gaming, except that British Unknown Armies players generally don't start shooting people early enough.

Logic
2007-06-10, 11:22 PM
This thread does fit better into "Gaming: Other"

kyz
2007-06-10, 11:31 PM
This thread does fit better into "Gaming: Other"

I sure don't understand how it fits in a forum whose description includes kick the can when it is, indeed, an RP, just based on a non-d20 system, but whatever.

And I am kind of disappointed more people haven't heard of it. Reading through this book is just great. The magic system is very interesting and the flavor has quite a lot of potential.

Logic
2007-06-10, 11:58 PM
Oh, I had thought this was a Tabletop Miniatures Wargame, based on the comments of the 2nd poster.

Rob Knotts
2007-06-11, 12:06 AM
Oh, I had thought this was a Tabletop Miniatures Wargame, based on the comments of the 2nd poster.RPG characters have been known, on occasion, to shoot people. Usually NPCs, sometimes each other...:smallwink:

ilovefire
2007-06-11, 12:14 AM
I love Unknown Armies. I really do. I love the system (simple and effective), I love the magic system (flavor is awesome in every Adept school of thought), I love the setting, and I love the fact that it gives a GM so many ways to TORMENT the players. It's like Call of Cthulu in that regard, only more insanity, less death.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-11, 12:39 AM
I've looked at Unknown Armies for a long while.

Own the book, even.

But I've never played. I've never found a GM who knew it to run it, and I'd rather not tear back the curtains myself. It's much like 7th Sea in that regard, I think: read too much GM info and the world suddenly seems less like what it was.

kyz
2007-06-11, 12:42 AM
Yeah, that's why I am trying to keep myself from plunging too far in. I don't want to ruin it if I find somebody willing/able to GM it.

Logic
2007-06-11, 01:41 AM
RPG characters have been known, on occasion, to shoot people. Usually NPCs, sometimes each other...:smallwink:

The phrase "British Unknown Armies players generally don't start shooting people early enough" sounds like it is a tabletop Miniatures Wargame. I didn't think it was desirable to shoot people early in an RPG. :smalltongue:

Tweekinator
2007-06-11, 11:26 AM
I didn't think it was desirable to shoot people early in an RPG.

Really? I can't think of a time in a RPG where it's not desirable to shoot people. :smalltongue:

Counterspin
2007-06-11, 12:15 PM
I've been running and loving Unknown Armies for... seven years now. The rules are great, include a lot of things that are lackig in others systems, and are, magic system aside, pretty much instantly applicable to any setting.

The rules are very, very simple. It's d100. You'll have skill ratings and stat ratings. Unless you're in combat, there's pretty much no checks. When there is a check, you have to roll under or equal to your skill/stat on the d100. Numbers with the same ones and tens place are "matches." A match under or equal your skill is good, an improved success. One over your skill is particularly bad, a botch. Then there's 01, super good, and 00, super bad. That's the vast majority of the system. Not hard at all.