PDA

View Full Version : Optimization I want to play Ajax from the Movie Troy (It's just about the maul, ok?)

Jon_Dahl
2015-12-05, 03:17 AM
https://youtu.be/aZNvaFarvPY?t=26s
Please note that I left out the part where he uses a shield. I beg you not the mention the shield, please.

I'd like to play a character that waves around a maul just like Ajax, but I'm finding it hard to make it optimal. One splat book has the maul, but it works just like a bastard sword. It's not optimal to use it two-handed in any scenario. Any ideas? I could negotiate something, our DM is flexible. No levels and such are known at this point. I guess something like 5th-level characters...

Uncle Pine
2015-12-05, 03:47 AM
The goliath greathammer (Races of Stone 154, 1d12/x4) or the greathorn minotaur greathammer (Monster Manual IV 101, 1d12/19-20/x4) might be what you're looking for.

Arbane
2015-12-05, 05:56 AM
the greathorn minotaur greathammer (Monster Manual IV 101, 1d12/19-20/x4)

O_o

That looks a TRIFLE overpowered. (And I presume that's WITHOUT crit-fishing tricks added?) Why haven't I seen as many powergamers using it as the spiked chain?

Uncle Pine
2015-12-05, 06:22 AM
O_o

That looks a TRIFLE overpowered. (And I presume that's WITHOUT crit-fishing tricks added?) Why haven't I seen as many powergamers using it as the spiked chain?
Because it lacks reach.
It does get a few mentions every now and then though, as does the dragonsplit from page 151 of the same book. They're both nice exotic weapons, although in my opinion the greathorn minotaur greathammer is overshadowed by kaorti resin kukris (if you are a crit fisher) or the kaorti resin falchion (if you aren't).