PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate 4 man party?

2007-06-10, 07:46 PM
I was thinking that a party of 4 clerics would be the best thing to ever have in DnD.

My thoughts on the makeup ran something like this:

One cleric of Pelor with Healing and Light domains. He'd be the healbot and turner.

One cleric of Heronius (sp?) with Strength and War domains. He'd be the tank/figher type.

One cleric of Boccob with Magic and Knowlede. He'd be the 'caster' of the group.

And once cleric of Wee Jas with Death and something. He'd be the 'bad' caster type person.

Any ideas to trick the group out to be more broken?

Arbitrarity
2007-06-10, 07:48 PM
I'm thinking more druid/wizard/cleric/beguiler.

Prehaps trade the wizard for a archivist, as with all the domains they can get almost any wizard spell. And maybe try for an artificer.

Druid and Cleric are the melee. Wizard is batman. Beguiler is skillmonkey/diplomancer.

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-10, 07:52 PM
It depends on the level but it is most likely: Wizard, Archivist, Druid, Artificer

In core it would be Wizard, Wizard, Cleric, Druid

Matthew
2007-06-10, 07:59 PM
As Tippy says, absolutely Level dependent. It is also entirley objective dependent. Sorcerer, Rogue, Fighter and Cleric for anywhere from Level 1 to Level 5 for default Dungeoneering. After that, it's going to be better to have more (and better) Full Casters.

ocato
2007-06-10, 07:59 PM
To win stuff or to have fun?

Because the classic Fighter/Cleric/Wizard/Rogue is nice for not stepping on each others toes.

Glyphic
2007-06-10, 08:09 PM
I'd have a very tough time imagining why all those clerics would be adventuring together.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-06-10, 08:21 PM
I'd have a very tough time imagining why all those clerics would be adventuring together.

Erm...Something that is going to consume the whole world? They'd work together to stop it... Or something..

Rincewind
2007-06-10, 08:21 PM
You want the ultimate four man party? Here's your ultimate four man party:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Ateam.jpg

*Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
The leader of the A-Team, he is a brilliant tactician and a master of disguise.

*Lt. Templeton "Faceman" Peck
Suave, smooth-talking, and hugely successful with women, he serves as the team's con man and scrounger, able to get his hands on just about anything they need.

*Sgt. Bosco Albert "B.A." Baracus
A highly-skilled mechanic and the A-Team's regular Mr. Fix-It. He is a skilled fighter and is easily roused to anger, earning him the nickname "Bad Attitude". Despite his reputed attitude, he is a nice guy at heart.

*Capt. H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock
The best chopper pilot of the Vietnam War, Murdock is either mentally unstable or exceptionally good at pretending to be so.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-06-10, 08:42 PM
No fair using the A-Team. They're super gestalt. They level in every core class at the same time.

Mr. Moogle
2007-06-10, 08:48 PM
This worked for me.

One Cleric healbot of pelor with heling and strength domains, his job buffer/healbot.

One Warblade of much flame (AKA desert wind), he tanks.

One Sorcerer who is a master of evocation, he also uses fire.

And a virsitile Monk who has high wis for stunning fist ownage

Strategy: Warblade charges and draws all attemtion to himself. Monk sneaks around and stuns/flurry-rapes main enemy. If things go bad with the Warblade or Monk, the Sorcerer busts em' out with a fireball (the Warblade has to shift to the stance that gives fire resistance based off a tumble check, or the Sorcerer has to get extrordinary spell aim).

Citizen Joe
2007-06-10, 09:05 PM
Another Gaming Comic did the 4 cleric thing. Check the archives (http://agc.deskslave.org/archives.html) 21-6 to 22-12

Fairly amusing in a DM's head exploding sort of way

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-06-10, 09:05 PM
One Warblade of much flame (AKA desert wind), he tanks.
Your Warblade got "much" Desert Wind... how?

Other than agreeing with Tippy, I'd have to say... Bard/Bard/Bard/Bard. And be a travelling rock band. You know you want to.

NullAshton
2007-06-10, 09:08 PM
I think the best party ever would be a group of four bards, each one of them specializing in one of the four classical party roles.

It wouldn't be very effective mechanically... but you could go to all sorts of different cities, rocking out to the town before moving on to the next. Battling evil as you go.

Skyserpent
2007-06-10, 10:08 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Ateam.jpg

*Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
The leader of the A-Team, he is a brilliant tactician and a master of disguise.

*Lt. Templeton "Faceman" Peck
Suave, smooth-talking, and hugely successful with women, he serves as the team's con man and scrounger, able to get his hands on just about anything they need.

*Sgt. Bosco Albert "B.A." Baracus
A highly-skilled mechanic and the A-Team's regular Mr. Fix-It. He is a skilled fighter and is easily roused to anger, earning him the nickname "Bad Attitude". Despite his reputed attitude, he is a nice guy at heart.

*Capt. H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock
The best chopper pilot of the Vietnam War, Murdock is either mentally unstable or exceptionally good at pretending to be so.

I love you.

But not that way.

sicko.

Jack Mann
2007-06-10, 11:23 PM
I think the best party ever would be a group of four bards, each one of them specializing in one of the four classical party roles.

It wouldn't be very effective mechanically... but you could go to all sorts of different cities, rocking out to the town before moving on to the next. Battling evil as you go.

I do not want to play Hannah-Barbara Mystery Show: The RPG.

Jasdoif
2007-06-10, 11:24 PM
I do not want to play Hannah-Barbara Mystery Show: The RPG.But...how else will we know what Scooby Doo's CR is?

Xion_Anistu-san
2007-06-10, 11:37 PM
The greatest four-man team of all time:
1) Cleric
2) Fighter
3) Rogue
4) Wizard
These four are the basis for just about every class (not including the bard and monk), and this is thegroup that every modern module is based on as the party. It rules all! :smallbiggrin:

Pagz
2007-06-10, 11:40 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Ateam.jpgMade my day
But...how else will we know what Scooby Doo's CR is?About 1/3 :smallcool:

Oh wait... joke.

Tengu
2007-06-11, 04:41 AM
Monk, spellthief, samurai, warlock.
Team Loser - they are your men! If they can do it - anyone can!

Because the classic Fighter/Cleric/Wizard/Rogue is nice for not stepping on each others toes.

Only if you consider "pack mule" to be the fighter's primary role on levels 7+.

Sir Giacomo
2007-06-11, 05:31 AM
Never, ever build a four-member party only of characters that are full spellcasters. The higher levels get, the more methods vs magic will be used by your opponents and DM npcs, and then all you're left with are some (possibly even metamagic!) feats, few skill points and not extraordinary abilities to speak of.

I'd likely go for a stealthy elf archer group of:
Beguiler, Bard, Cleric (Trickery Domain), Monk (possibly multiclass with rogue)

- Giacomo

Reinboom
2007-06-11, 07:22 AM
I think 4 druids would be the ultimate party.
They all prestige into Planar Shepherd after level 5.
Massive, constant, unavoidable damage? Check. Free wishes all day long? Check. 10 rounds per enemy's 1? Check.
Throw in some evocation metamagic school focus, fell drain, and cheap weird or no save mass damage on all of them, ice flowers, vortex of teeth, etc. and you got a team of druids who mass drain 40 levels every time the opponent gets 1. 40 levels before they start touching quicken spell.
Er, this is, before the obvious troupe of deitys come together and smite this horror.

Or perhaps do something with dweomerkeepers, cheater of mystra is a common target.

Base classes strictly... I agree mostly with Tippy, though I would probably replace the druid with cleric in the first team (for divine metamagic purposes). Add in playing with antimagic fields (shaping, etc.) for absolute rudeness.

For fun? An alteration on the generic team in any way. With the above restricted down to not happen.

Arbitrarity
2007-06-11, 07:29 AM
But Tippy's druid goes Planar Shepard, his wizard goes incantatrix, and the archivist gets persistant buffs from the incantatrix!

:smallbiggrin:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-11, 07:44 AM
No fair using the A-Team. They're super gestalt. They level in every core class at the same time.

Ah. That must be some kind of alternate Gestalt rules where you use the lowest base attack bonus of all your classes.

And they all have survivor levels.

Roderick_BR
2007-06-11, 07:49 AM
I think 4 druids would be the ultimate party.
They all prestige into Planar Shepherd after level 5.
Massive, constant, unavoidable damage? Check. Free wishes all day long? Check. 10 rounds per enemy's 1? Check.
Throw in some evocation metamagic school focus, fell drain, and cheap weird or no save mass damage on all of them, ice flowers, vortex of teeth, etc. and you got a team of druids who mass drain 40 levels every time the opponent gets 1. 40 levels before they start touching quicken spell.
Er, this is, before the obvious troupe of deitys come together and smite this horror.

Or perhaps do something with dweomerkeepers, cheater of mystra is a common target.

Base classes strictly... I agree mostly with Tippy, though I would probably replace the druid with cleric in the first team (for divine metamagic purposes). Add in playing with antimagic fields (shaping, etc.) for absolute rudeness.

For fun? An alteration on the generic team in any way. With the above restricted down to not happen.
Banned by the DM for being simply too silly? Check :smalltongue:

As for the OP's question. Get a deity with the trickery domain to fill in as skill monkey. Then add knowledge, luck, or travel.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-11, 08:09 AM
A Team my arse. The best four man team ever would consist of

Bruce Lee - for the fists
Spiderman - for the web
Darth Vader - for the evil
Samuel L Jackson - because he is damn cool mother ****er.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-06-11, 08:09 AM

My gaming group actually thought of doing this once. We even had a group/band name: The Mighty Mighty Longbows :smallbiggrin:

Haven't tried it out yet, though.

Prometheus
2007-06-11, 04:26 PM
A Team my arse. The best four man team ever would consist of

Bruce Lee - for the fists
Spiderman - for the web
Darth Vader - for the evil
Samuel L Jackson - because he is damn cool mother ****er.
Vader and Samuel L. may run into some problems there...

Gavin Sage
2007-06-11, 05:35 PM
The true ultimate 4 man team:

Pun-Pun
Chuck Norris
Mr. Rogers
Batman

There you go, each one of them could beat anything single handily. If any of them need to leave have Macguyver as a back-up.

Tengu
2007-06-11, 05:42 PM
Pun-Pun
Chuck Norris

Isn't that the same person?

magicwalker
2007-06-11, 05:48 PM
Hella 4 bards, KISS saves Santa, baby, wooo!

2007-06-11, 05:51 PM

Thats the best part. Imagine the RP possibilities :smallwink:

DreadArchon
2007-06-11, 05:52 PM
Knight, Saint template
Druid, Core, Saint template
Druid, Avenger, Saint template
Cleric, Core, Saint template

skywalker
2007-06-12, 01:24 AM
The Mighty Mighty Longbows

Made MY day. And I had a good day. I think the greatest group ever would be a bard, a TWF ranger, a monk, and a samurai.

Leon
2007-06-12, 05:09 AM
The Tank
The Skill Monkey
The Healer
The Caster

Leon
2007-06-12, 05:12 AM
Knight, Saint template
Druid, Core, Saint template
Druid, Avenger, Saint template
Cleric, Core, Saint template

The saints go marching in

Callix
2007-06-12, 05:52 AM
Role 1: Tank. Knight. No question. The best at single combat, and the only one able to actually make people attack him
Role 2: Skillmonkey. Get a Black bag of tricks and hurl a rhino at the door/trap/merchant. It always works. So, not really necessary.
Role 3: Healbot. Why mess with what works? Cleric of pelor/Radiant whatever of Pelor (complete divine)
Role 4: Tricksy spells. Beguilers do this wonderfully. This is what they made them for.
What now? Oh yes. Save-or-die/suck/really widh you took the Knight's offer of surrender.
For pure repeat-irritant capabilities, the much-maligned sorcerer, loaded up with Necromancies and Transmutations, is simply the best. Who else can put out so many Disintegrates, Fingers of Death, and Bestow Curses? (50% chance to miss each turn is ... *shudder*... totally evil)