PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian-Monk

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-05, 08:21 AM
Of course, it is not that optimised, but I think a strenght based barbarian monk could be great!

For example, the AC is a little bit low but as high as the one of a normal barbarian and the HP is lower than the HP of a full barbarian, but putting it all together I'd say a barbarian monk has at least the defensive abilities of a monk.

The attacks aren't bad at all, fighting with handaxes/fists and dealing extra rage damage and attack(s) as bonus action.

With great speed, the level 3 (totem) barbarian feature and mobility/stunning strike/slow fall/deflect missiles of a monk it doesn't sound bad.

The damage and the defense close to a barbarian, but other options of a monk, sadly it only works higher level

SwordChuck
2015-12-05, 09:39 AM
Of course, it is not that optimised, but I think a strenght based barbarian monk could be great!

For example, the AC is a little bit low but as high as the one of a normal barbarian and the HP is lower than the HP of a full barbarian, but putting it all together I'd say a barbarian monk has at least the defensive abilities of a monk.

The attacks aren't bad at all, fighting with handaxes/fists and dealing extra rage damage and attack(s) as bonus action.

With great speed, the level 3 (totem) barbarian feature and mobility/stunning strike/slow fall/deflect missiles of a monk it doesn't sound bad.

The damage and the defense close to a barbarian, but other options of a monk, sadly it only works higher level

Dexbarian/Monk could do great as well.

Halfling (dex/con) could work for the race and then you have a lot more synergy. You can have strength and wis be tertiary scores depending on how you like them. With rage your Halfling could use Athletics (Climb onto bigger creature) for their grapple...

I'm not sure exactly how right now but I'm sure this build would be viable in public play one most home games.

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-06, 01:22 AM
Dexbarian/Monk could do great as well.

Halfling (dex/con) could work for the race and then you have a lot more synergy. You can have strength and wis be tertiary scores depending on how you like them. With rage your Halfling could use Athletics (Climb onto bigger creature) for their grapple...

I'm not sure exactly how right now but I'm sure this build would be viable in public play one most home games.

Ikr, it would give you higher initiative and better AC, but on the other hand if you are using strenght you get the extra rage damage and the better grapples.

SwordChuck
2015-12-06, 01:47 AM
Ikr, it would give you higher initiative and better AC, but on the other hand if you are using strenght you get the extra rage damage and the better grapples.

You would take barbarian until you could grab Wolf Totem. Your barbarian side wouldn't be about helping with damage but with reckless attack, dex save advantage, and giving allies advantage on attacks.

Reckless attack works on any melee attack (last I saw) so it would work on flurry and all unarmed martial arts.

Bear totem could work too.

Stout Halfling Urchin Barbarian (wolf)/ Monk (open hand) would be awesome.

Reckless attack flurry? 6d20 (best 3), nice crit chance there.

Perhaps Barbarian 8/Monk 12 would be the best way to do this.

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-06, 07:54 AM
You would take barbarian until you could grab Wolf Totem. Your barbarian side wouldn't be about helping with damage but with reckless attack, dex save advantage, and giving allies advantage on attacks.

Reckless attack works on any melee attack (last I saw) so it would work on flurry and all unarmed martial arts.

Bear totem could work too.

Stout Halfling Urchin Barbarian (wolf)/ Monk (open hand) would be awesome.

Reckless attack flurry? 6d20 (best 3), nice crit chance there.

Perhaps Barbarian 8/Monk 12 would be the best way to do this.

You are pretty MAD, but if you can lose one ASI you could drop one of your monk levels for another level barbarian. Or you could go 14 barbarian 6 monk because you then get really good subclass stuff from both the classes, not sure what would be better.

With the Elk totem in the SCAG you have a pretty strong lv. 14 barbarian feature ! And 1d6 unarmed strikes damage with 2 damage with handaxes or shortswords or something you are really strong still

Zman
2015-12-06, 09:41 AM
Reckless Attack and Rage both require strength based attacks. Wood Elves could start out with decent stats, but unfortunately you'll probably be keeping Con lowish, but it could build a solid glass cannon.

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-07, 01:35 PM
Reckless Attack and Rage both require strength based attacks. Wood Elves could start out with decent stats, but unfortunately you'll probably be keeping Con lowish, but it could build a solid glass cannon.

Mobility is great anyways, but for str. based you would better go for dwarf or just the good old vhuman

Z3ro
2015-12-07, 08:24 PM
The more I think about this combo, the more I like it. You'd want to go Monk 16/Barb 4 long run, barb 2 monk 5 short. Prioritize str->con->dex, forget about wisdom, and use strength for your attacks. That way you get rage and reckless attack. Then, when you have a few ki, use a weapon like a greatsword with flurry of blows. That lets you take two sword attacks, two unarmed strikes. Use great weapon master to up the damage as needed. Go long death monk for the ultimate in hard-to-kill character, getting resistance in rage, temporary hp, and never-dying with ki. Ok now I really want to play this.

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-09, 10:05 AM
The more I think about this combo, the more I like it. You'd want to go Monk 16/Barb 4 long run, barb 2 monk 5 short. Prioritize str->con->dex, forget about wisdom, and use strength for your attacks. That way you get rage and reckless attack. Then, when you have a few ki, use a weapon like a greatsword with flurry of blows. That lets you take two sword attacks, two unarmed strikes. Use great weapon master to up the damage as needed. Go long death monk for the ultimate in hard-to-kill character, getting resistance in rage, temporary hp, and never-dying with ki. Ok now I really want to play this.

16 monk can be great ikr. If you want highest speed bonus you can take another level barbarian for more speed than full monk or one level more monk for the OP open hand feature and 1d10 monk weapon dmg.

Only thing about your idea, you can't use flurry of blows if you use a non-monk weapon, right? (or if you wear armor).

N810
2015-12-09, 10:25 AM
Good thing barbarians and monks specialize in unarmored defense then.
and I believe barbarians can use just about any weapon.

holygroundj
2015-12-09, 01:31 PM
Yes, barbs have martial, simple, med light and shields.

A str barb/monk works for several reasons: You can go str/con, and unarmed strike works with str. I don't have my book in front of me so I don't know if you can wield a shield and still have martial arts active. My guess is probably not.

Just for giggles, I made a barb 4/monk 5. It comes online relatively late, but having resistance to all damage overcomes the monk's traditional weakness which is being inside melee range. I ended up dumping dex because I basically had rage up the whole time. I went with monk unarmed strike/defense.

edit: I mean I dumped con, not dex. lolz.

Z3ro
2015-12-09, 04:46 PM
Only thing about your idea, you can't use flurry of blows if you use a non-monk weapon, right? (or if you wear armor).

You can't use your bonus action attack with a non monk weapon, but if you spend ki for flurry of blows you can. So that works, though some DMs may not agree.

N810
2015-12-09, 05:00 PM
but doesn't barbarian let you use a bonus action for attacks ? (any weapon)

Zman
2015-12-09, 05:54 PM

Yep, Frenzy lets you make an attack as a bonus action, but it has to be a melee weapon attack. Reckless attack is great too, but it has to be strength based melee attack. Only problem with Frenzy is suffering from one level of Exhaustion when you finish the rage.

ZenBear
2015-12-09, 08:20 PM
My first thought upon reading the title was raging monk = Sith Warrior. :smalltongue:

Jamesps
2015-12-09, 09:59 PM
Yes, barbs have martial, simple, med light and shields.

Quick note: If you wear armor or use a shield your unarmed strikes do 1 damage. You can flurry with them, but you're flurrying for (Strength + 1 damage).

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-11, 11:44 AM

Yes, but a level of exhaustion and just one attack. If you attack this way the monk levels would be very bad also.

Hudsonian
2015-12-11, 11:58 AM
So, I'm curious on the playground's opinion on whether the Monk/Barb unarmored defense should stack.

(I'm fairly certain that they fall into the "different formulas: take the higher AC, don't add together" rule for RAW. But what do you LIKE.)

gfishfunk
2015-12-11, 12:46 PM
So, I'm curious on the playground's opinion on whether the Monk/Barb unarmored defense should stack.

(I'm fairly certain that they fall into the "different formulas: take the higher AC, don't add together" rule for RAW. But what do you LIKE.)

They do not stack, per RAW. Both state that your AC becomes 10+Dex+(Con for Barb/Wis for Monk). If they said 'add your Wisdom" or "add your con", the result would be cumulative. Same thing with Mage Armor: our AC becomes 13 + Dex.

Its not a question of adding together modifiers as it is selecting which math formula to use.

EDIT: what would I like? I see no reason to Twink it. Its good as is.

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-13, 01:07 AM
They do not stack, per RAW. Both state that your AC becomes 10+Dex+(Con for Barb/Wis for Monk). If they said 'add your Wisdom" or "add your con", the result would be cumulative. Same thing with Mage Armor: our AC becomes 13 + Dex.

Its not a question of adding together modifiers as it is selecting which math formula to use.

EDIT: what would I like? I see no reason to Twink it. Its good as is.

Not only RAW, I'm sure like no DM would RAI let you get +3 AC for a barbarian level what is good anyway for a monk higher level.

JackPhoenix
2015-12-13, 05:48 PM

You don't even take the higher AC, you can't get unarmored Unarmored Defence from two classes (so if you take a level of barbarian first, it's always Con-based and allows shield). PHB p.164

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-14, 02:44 PM
Thats true. Although I'd rule you may choose