PDA

View Full Version : Figuring Caster Level for Custom Magic Items

Toilet Cobra
2015-12-05, 05:19 PM
I have a player in my current Pathfinder game who wants to make custom magic items. I definitely support the cause, and I've seen the guidelines for estimating gp value. My problem is that for the life of me, I cannot find where in the item creation rules it tells you what Caster Level the custom item would be, and since I need that to set the Spellcraft DC to make the thing it's kind of important.

Thankfully so far we've only had time for him to make an item that was nearly identical to a cloak of elvenkind, so the CL was easy to figure out. But it's only a matter of time till I can't find a similar item to what he wants to make.

Can some kind soul direct me to the appropriate section of the rules, or even just a forum post on the topic? My searching has led me nowhere.

Jack_Simth
2015-12-05, 05:32 PM
I have a player in my current Pathfinder game who wants to make custom magic items. I definitely support the cause, and I've seen the guidelines for estimating gp value. My problem is that for the life of me, I cannot find where in the item creation rules it tells you what Caster Level the custom item would be, and since I need that to set the Spellcraft DC to make the thing it's kind of important.

Thankfully so far we've only had time for him to make an item that was nearly identical to a cloak of elvenkind, so the CL was easy to figure out. But it's only a matter of time till I can't find a similar item to what he wants to make.

Can some kind soul direct me to the appropriate section of the rules, or even just a forum post on the topic? My searching has led me nowhere.Well, just from patterns....

For those items that duplicate spells, they're mostly the minimum for the spell in question (or higher, if you specifically want to get better effects).

For those items that don't? They're all over the map.

Toilet Cobra
2015-12-05, 05:51 PM
I was afraid that might be the case. At least the spell caster levels is a good guideline.

Appreciate the response!

Chronos
2015-12-05, 07:05 PM
As a starting point, you can use the minimum caster level for the spell(s) needed to create it, even if it doesn't cast the spell itself.