PDA

View Full Version : Optimization making a non-Wizard Diviner

deathbymanga
2015-12-05, 05:21 PM
So, my DM's setting isn't friendly towards Wizards, which is forcing me to re-think my character's class choice.

My plan is to play an Information Broker who uses Divination magic and prepares them in advanced (no spontaneous casting). I also want him to have a Mother Cyst and cast Cyst spells, which are specifically Wizard/sorcerer and cleric spells.

So, my choices become either Wizard or Archivist, I believe at least, if you can think of another class that fits, tell me.

Are there enough Divination spells on the cleric list to justify going Archivist instead of Wizard?

Uncle Pine
2015-12-05, 05:43 PM
I assume that the "non spontaneous casting" clause also rules out manifesters like the Seer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm)? Because playing a Seer would pretty much obliviate your other problems.

deathbymanga
2015-12-05, 05:53 PM
I assume that the "non spontaneous casting" clause also rules out manifesters like the Seer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm)? Because playing a Seer would pretty much obliviate your other problems.

um, a Psion cannot cast Wizard/Sorcerer or Cleric spells. Meaning I can't use it because I won't be able to cast the Cyst spells

xyianth
2015-12-05, 06:38 PM
Ok, first things first, are you going with the completely asinine interpretation that because cyst spells are listed as wizard/sorcerer and cleric spells, that no one else can cast them simply by taking the mother cyst feat?

If so, you are correct; the only prepared casters that can cast those spells are wizards, sorcerers, clerics, and archivists.

If you can actually read however, the Mother Cyst feat explicitly allows you to cast cyst spells like any other you can cast, therefore the fact that they are on the wizard/sorcerer and cleric lists is irrelevant. Then your options are expanded. For example, a druid could take the feat and prepare and cast cyst spells just fine.

Please note, I am not interested in starting another debate on the interpretation of this feat and those spells. I'm merely giving you both options as answers so that you can use whichever one applies.