PDA

View Full Version : Rough Adventure Outline

Grytorm
2015-12-05, 06:04 PM
Hello I have been coming up for an idea for an adventure preferably in Pathfinder, meant to be sort of horror themed in the vein of somewhat disturbing imagery and a theme of small town corruption. Maybe. But I just wanted to write down the ideas I have so far and see if anything wouldn't work. It is intended to be for level 1 Characters.

The adventure would open with the characters meeting and ideally agreeing to stay with a young Mr. Blackwood. His father died recently leaving a good amount of debt and a somewhat nice house at the edge of town. Perhaps one of the Players would be related somewhat distantly to Mr. Blackwood. The problem is that the local sheriff is under the thumb of his distant relative (family split around 120 years ago), Old Man Blackwood, the villain. Old Man Blackwood wants the house and plans on using his connection with the Sheriff and the debts to gain control of it.

Several things are happening when the adventure starts. The PCs could seek out OMB and meet him at the Church/asylum where he is making them release his grandson to him. Who has been imprisoned for near twenty years and is generally considered crazy.

Secondly they could talk to the Sheriff who is unfriendly but not blatantly favoring her patron. She would share a little information with the PCs. They could also troll taverns for info. The main gist of information they could gather would be: OMB is spooky, probably some sort of spellcaster, secondly supposedly there is a lost Blackwood treasure and the two half's of the family originally split over it, and three around twenty years ago a marriage was arranged between the OMB niece and the scion of the other half of the family. A good number of the Blackwood clan was snowed in on the old estate in a hilly area. Murder and cannibalism happened. Although the details are hazy nobody was really punished because so many of them were dead.

If they stay with MR. Blackwood they would meat OMB's gardener, a Dwarf, who is acting somewhat suspicious and threatening, but nothing to bad. PCs may catch him sedating the dog.

That night the house gets attacked by a group of skeletons and a Ghoul. The PCs may stay and fight or find Mr Blackwood dead in the morning. Ghoul will have eaten the dog. Sad I know.

After that the PCs should go up to the Blackwood estate to investigate. Important parts of the encounter would be with the Gardener and undead he bullies. With the mad grandson of OMB and several dogs. Some kind of roleplaying maybe with the rather spoiled bratty grandaughter who is not overtly hostile and not particularly loyal to her grandfather. A somewhat climatic battle would occur with OMB, who would try to escape.

The treasure could be found somewhere on the estate or if they may be shown the treasure by the ghosts of the dead couple (the members of the Blackwood clan that almost got married) if they try and put them to rest. Then they could take the treasure back to Mr. Blackwood's house ideally. And if OMB had escaped earlier he will attack again with an Ogre trying to steal the treasure. Here the sheriff would fight with the PCs.

NPCs I would want to stat.
Sheriff, Female Human Fighter 2
Ghoul Ranger, Male Ghoul Ranger 1
Gardener, Female Dwarf Rogue 4
Grandaughter Blackwood, Female Human Aristocrat 2
Mad Blackwood, Male Half-Orc Barbarian 2
Old Man Blackwood, Male Human Druid (or Witch) 5

Thoughts? Sorry if it reads in a really confusing way.

KillianHawkeye
2015-12-05, 06:43 PM
Good job outlining the adventure more like a flowchart than a script. Trying to anticipate different things your players might do and come up with different ways the adventure might go (and the consequences thereof) is one of the most important lessons I've learned for being a good DM.

This seems like it is probably a solid challenge for a 1st level party, although I guess an ogre and a 5th level spellcaster could be a pretty tough, but not necessarily unbeatable, fight.

It seems like you might not have decided what the Blackwood family treasure is exactly. As you're deciding, keep in mind that the PCs will probably want to claim it for their own, so you should consider whether or not you want that to happen. Whatever it is, you could say that it still belongs to the Blackwood family (if there are any of them left in town at the end of the adventure), but then you should have an alternative reward ready to give to the players. Otherwise, make sure it isn't something so valuable or powerful that it will trivialize future adventures or wreck your players' future treasure expectations.