PDA

View Full Version : Dude, not cool

Maerok
2007-06-10, 09:05 PM
I was just watching Sopranos... What happened there?!?!? Was that supposed to be symbolic of what they were saying?

Nevrmore
2007-06-10, 09:21 PM
I thought that my TV went out till the credits came up. I was so disappointed.

EmeraldRose
2007-06-10, 09:26 PM
Why? What happened? *didn't watch* I'm sure my husband will tell me all about it...

Wasn't this supposed to be the last episode? :smallconfused:

Nevrmore
2007-06-10, 09:36 PM
Why? What happened? *didn't watch* I'm sure my husband will tell me all about it...

Wasn't this supposed to be the last episode? :smallconfused:

From wikipedia:

In the last episode, Phil Leotardo is killed, while Tony seems to have hidden successfully. He comes out of hiding to spend time with his family in a restaurant in the last few minutes of the final episode. Several suspicious characters enter and Meadow has trouble parking her car. Just as she enters the restaurant, Tony looks up and it dramatically cuts to a silent black screen for a time before the credits are shown, leaving the ending open.

They obviously just ran out of ideas.

EmeraldRose
2007-06-10, 09:40 PM
That...sounds like a pretty disappointing way to end such a long run series...

sethdarkwater
2007-06-12, 10:16 PM
Not quite sure if I'm correct, but I believe the audiance "got whacked".

Turcano
2007-06-12, 10:28 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was hilarious.

Neon Knight
2007-06-13, 12:00 AM
I've had several of my friends think it hilarious. I've also had some of my other comrades attempt to hang the those friends for their finding it so hilarious.

Catch
2007-06-13, 12:29 AM
They did not run out of ideas, David Chase is just brilliant.

Think about all the foreshadowing in that last scene. The couple in the corner, the dingy trucker, the hitman heading for the bathroom, all are given a cinematic sense of significance. They all seem important, but you're not sure why. Anthony's last line brings it all together, quoting his father about "remembering the good times." Just as you think the series is going to be wrapped up nicely with a family dinner and a twinkle of nostalgia, the very last second leaves you screaming "WHAT!"

And then you have to decide what happened.

Truly, the best stories are the ones we tell for ourselves.

Mr. Mud
2007-06-13, 07:27 AM

Think about all the foreshadowing in that last scene. The couple in the corner, the dingy trucker, the hitman heading for the bathroom, all are given a cinematic sense of significance. They all seem important, but you're not sure why. Anthony's last line brings it all together, quoting his father about "remembering the good times." Just as you think the series is going to be wrapped up nicely with a family dinner and a twinkle of nostalgia, the very last second leaves you screaming "WHAT!"

I agree 100% :smallbiggrin:
Writes Don't Run out of ideas after 6 seasons, they could've brought the last Episode ANYWHERE - (Tony could've got whacked, Tony Could've Whacked EVERYONE else, Someone wakes up and sees its all a dream for a corny ending, etc...)

Nevrmore
2007-06-13, 11:40 AM

There is a considerable difference between implication and full-on dumping everything on the viewer and saying "decide for yourself."

Catch
2007-06-13, 12:01 PM
There is a considerable difference between implication and full-on dumping everything on the viewer and saying "decide for yourself."

Sure. There could have been a gunshot sound just after the cut to the credits. It's implied that someone was shot, but you have to guess who.

That takes away from the suspense, though. With this, there's a wider array of possibilities, and that's preferable in my eyes. I'd rather not be spoon-fed an ending.

shakes019
2007-06-13, 12:35 PM
I am totally posting from ignorance, having not watched an episode of the show, but it seems to me that the description of the ending of the show evokes the what I would expect someone living the lives of the Sopranos would experience on a daily basis. There would always be an undercurrent of mortal danger in every situation, so leaving the ending unclear seems fitting.

Burrito
2007-06-13, 06:39 PM
There is nothing wrong with ambiguous or anti-climatic endings. Remember the end to Seinfeld? There is no rule that says every loose end has to tied up neat and pretty.

I thought it gave each viewer a chance to speculate on whatever "perfect" ending they wanted for the Soprano family.