PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Find Steed

synergy2
2015-12-05, 09:13 PM
What options would you consider appropriate for the Paladin spell "Find Steed"?

They list a few options in the spell description (warhorse, pony, mastiff, camel, etc) but I was talking over with my GM and we are looking at options in the Monster Manual. We are level 5 right now.

We were debating Griffon/Pegasus, but CR 2 is a bit much as a mount for a fifth level character. We decided we would choose better mounts as my character leveled.

So for now we are allowing CR 1 creatures. Any ideas what would be cool?

Felvion
2015-12-05, 09:42 PM
I'd suggest getting a pegasus but in a younger form that doesn't fly. Use the stats of a CR 1 creature. Your dm could turn the creature in its mature form when he thinks you deserve it.

Karma Dragon
2015-12-05, 10:19 PM
Here's my suggestion:

Find Steed at Higher Levels. When you use a higher level spell slot you may summon the following mounts:

3rd: Dire Wolf (fiendish), Giant Eagle (celestial), Hippogriff (celestial, fiendish), Tiger (celestial, fiendish)
4th: Displacer Beast (fiendish), Griffon (celestial, fiendish), Nightmare (fiendish), Pegasi (celestial), Winter Wolf (fiendish)
5th: Chimera (fiendish), Couatl (celestial), Gorgon (fiendish), Unicorn (celestial)

Please keep in mind that celestial, fey or fiendish templates are just for flavor and alignment purposes in 5E.

Additionally, here's a clarification on what 'fighting as a seamless unit' means:

The paladin and their mount act independently and simultaneously on the paladin's initiative. Any movement taken by the mount counts towards the paladin's movement as well.

So if the paladin uses an action to cast a spell, then charges into combat on their mount while drawing their sword, the mount attacks a target, and then the paladin uses a bonus action and/or hasted action, this is fine.

Now go have some fun and happy smiting!

synergy2
2015-12-05, 10:32 PM
Here's my suggestion:

Find Steed at Higher Levels. When you use a higher level spell slot you may summon the following mounts:

3rd: Dire Wolf (fiendish), Giant Eagle (celestial), Hippogriff (celestial, fiendish), Tiger (celestial, fiendish)
4th: Displacer Beast (fiendish), Griffon (celestial, fiendish), Nightmare (fiendish), Pegasi (celestial), Winter Wolf (fiendish)
5th: Chimera (fiendish), Couatl (celestial), Gorgon (fiendish), Unicorn (celestial)

That's amazing! Thanks!

Pyon
2015-12-06, 10:25 AM
Somehow the idea of riding a gorgon is a bit silly to me.

WickerNipple
2015-12-06, 11:01 AM

Why? It's a big bull-monster thing in D&D. Certainly looks ridable.

Sitri
2015-12-06, 11:08 AM

I am not sure why d&d used this name. As stated above, it is nothing like a Medusa here. Someone explained the choice of names to me once, but it didn't make enough sense for me to remember it.

MaxWilson
2015-12-06, 11:08 AM
Here's my suggestion:

That scaling seems a little fast to me. For example, a permanent Couatl buddy for one 5th level spell slot during downtime seems... abusable, especially considering that you could get this combo online by 11th level, or 9th with a Lore Bard. If I were going for this flavor, I'd tie the steed improvements to paladin level instead of spell slot level.

In my game, Find Steed improves, but much more slowly. 2nd level slot = CR 1/2 creatures (DM will vet, but pretty much any beast or ridable monstrosity). 4th level slot = CR 1 (e.g. Hippogriff). 8th level slot = CR 2 (e.g. Griffin).

MaxWilson
2015-12-06, 11:10 AM
I am not sure why d&d used this name. As stated above, it is nothing like a Medusa here. Someone explained the choice of names to me once, but it didn't make enough sense for me to remember it.

It's from a medieval (1607) book on fabulous monsters.

http://wesschneider.tumblr.com/post/92511929906/so-i-have-a-question-about-pathfinders-bestiary

The truth of the matter likely involves all of the above, along with Gygax’s likely familiarity with Edward Topsell 1607 zoological text, The Historie of Foure Footed Beasts. In his work, Topsell presents a zoological exploration of the world—a world he was hardly an authority on. Rather than basing his work on his personal observations, Topsell cited diverse zoological accounts, including the Swiss Historiae Animalium and Pliny’s somewhat dated Natural History from circa 77–79 C.E.—“therefore we will follow the authority of Pliny and Atheneus” (Topsell 1607, pp 263). Among such mundane creatures as dogs and weasels, the author included numerous facts he had on good authority from writers like Pliny—who included imaginary beings like cynocephalus and monopods in his Natural History. Among Topsell’s work are such facts as elephants having the coldest blood in the world and bearing an intense hatred for dragons (1607, pp 198). Topsell also includes whole creatures entirely on his predecessor’s recommendations.

One such inclusion was the “strange Lybian Beast” or the “Gorgon.” Topsell describes the creature as such:

“It is a feareful and terrible beast to beholdd, it hath high and thicke eie lids, eies not very great, but much like an Oxe or Bugils, but all fiery-bloudy, which neyther looke directly forwarde, nor yet upwards, but continuallye downe to the earth, and therefore are called in Greeke Catobleponta. From the crowne of their head downe to their nose they have a long hanging mane, which maketh them to looke fearefully. It eateth deadly and poysonfull hearbs, and if at any time he see a Bull or other creature whereof he is afraid, he presently causeth his mane to stand upright, and being so lifted up, opening his lips, and gaping wide, sendeth forth of his throat a certaine sharpe and horrible breath, which infecteth and poysoneth the air above his head, so that all living creatures which draw in the breath of that aire are greevously afflicted thereby, loosing both voyce and sight, they fall into leathall and deadly convulsions.” (1607, pp 262)

Here we finally find the gorgon presented as an ox- or bull-like beast with breath that kills. But Topsell’s book isn’t just known for its detailed descriptions, it’s famed for its lavish inclusion of dozens of woodcut images.

Sitri
2015-12-06, 11:37 AM
It's from a medieval (1607) book on fabulous monsters.

http://wesschneider.tumblr.com/post/92511929906/so-i-have-a-question-about-pathfinders-bestiary

Short answer Topsell and Pliney were hacks :p

Interesting read, thank you.

Talyn
2015-12-06, 12:15 PM
That, and "catoblepas," which is what the Gorgon was called in earlier editions (and is, in fact, an entirely different mythological creature, but that's beside the point) was too hard to spell and pronounce. :smallsmile:

Human Paragon 3
2015-12-06, 01:05 PM
I think those exotic mounts are fine, but say they cannot cast spells or take any actions other than dash, disengage, or attack in or outside of combat.

Blindseer
2017-10-11, 04:06 PM

I sort of agree, but the more I thought about it the more I loved the idea. My Vengeance Paladin could storm into battle using haste first turn (the Gorgon also benefiting) and steamroll or petrify all the enemies in an area, and I finish off some with my halberd. The entire encounter could be over before the party rogue draws their bow.

This of course depends heavily on your ruling for mount rules.

greenstone
2017-10-11, 05:24 PM
A female steeder. Great move speed (including climbing and hanging off the ceiling!), jumping, poison attacks

Mortis_Elrod
2017-10-11, 05:41 PM
Guard Drake

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-11, 11:22 PM
Guard Drake

They'd need to homebrew a Large version of that to use for a Medium PC.

While it would be pretty damn awesome to ride a Drake into battle.

Chugger
2017-10-12, 04:59 AM
Heh I remember the Catoblepas. Back when I DM'd ad&d it somehow never managed to make it into any of my games. Darn! (I should have - should have had a clown riding it)

KorvinStarmast
2017-10-12, 08:24 AM
Heh I remember the Catoblepas. Back when I DM'd ad&d it somehow never managed to make it into any of my games. Darn! (I should have - should have had a clown riding it)

The gaze of the catoblepas is equal to a death ray, extending 6" from the eyes (even into the astral and ethereal planes). Any creature which meets this gaze dies without any chance to save itself. Well I remember the first time we ran into a catoblepas in a swamp, randomly rolled encounter. My cleric died.

tieren
2017-10-12, 09:31 AM
I had a gnomish paladin that rode a giant frog, it was a lot of fun.

Sidson
2017-10-12, 10:35 AM
From me, I suggest looking at sample characters for each class (levels 1-10). There's a half-orc paladin (level 10) riding on the brown bear. Maybe on lower levels he has some different mounts.

Whyrocknodie
2017-10-12, 10:41 AM
A larger paladin.

pwykersotz
2017-10-12, 12:11 PM
That scaling seems a little fast to me. For example, a permanent Couatl buddy for one 5th level spell slot during downtime seems... abusable, especially considering that you could get this combo online by 11th level, or 9th with a Lore Bard. If I were going for this flavor, I'd tie the steed improvements to paladin level instead of spell slot level.

In my game, Find Steed improves, but much more slowly. 2nd level slot = CR 1/2 creatures (DM will vet, but pretty much any beast or ridable monstrosity). 4th level slot = CR 1 (e.g. Hippogriff). 8th level slot = CR 2 (e.g. Griffin).

It might be a little less abusable if you tied its spellcasting to the Paladin's, requiring the Paladin to spend a slot for the magic. It does still expand their spell list though.