PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next PEACH: Lore Domain

Levism84
2015-12-05, 10:15 PM
Inspired by the Arcana domain from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, I began working on a new character concept. The character would be an author of teen paranormal romance books that really gets into character. However, to realize this concept, I needed a way to take certain spells and use certain class features. Thus, I decided to construct the Lore Domain to fit this need. I want to see if this domain appears balanced and in-line with other domains presented in the PHB, DMG, and SCAG.

Thank you in advance for your time in looking over these mechanics.

LORE DOMAIN
Stories abound in the realms of common folk turned into heroes, heroes turned into myth, and myth turned into legend. Gods of knowledge, poetry, and lore often charge their followers to record these tales for generations to come or to take part in their writing first hand. For some gods, these tales are a part of a grand tapestry meant to inspire future heroics. Other gods of lore see their followers as untapped potential for writing their own stories of heroic adventure.

The gods of this domain are often associated with knowledge, poetry, and lore; inspiring common folk to greatness. In the Realms, deities of this domain include Deneir, Milil, Oghma, and Torm. In other worlds, this domain includes Ptah, Thoth, Balder, and Tyr; Aureon of the Sovereign Hosts and the Traveler of the Dark Six of Eberron; Branchala and Gilean of Krynn; and Celestian and Fharlanghn of Greyhawk.

LORE DOMAIN SPELLS
1st: dissonant whispers, Elonia's glamer
2nd: detect thoughts, suggestion
3rd: Isolde's answer, sending
4th: phantasmal killer, siren song
5th: dream, modify memory

STORYTELLER
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain proficiency with the Performance skill, and you gain a mixture of two cantrips of your choice from the bard or wizard spell list. For you, these cantrips count as cleric cantrips.

BONUS PROFICIENCIES
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with calligrapher's supplies and painter's supplies.

CHANNEL DIVINITY: WRITE-OFF SECONDARY CHARACTER
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to impose your will on secondary characters, writing them out of the scene or existence.

As an action, you present your holy symbol, and one humanoid non-player character of your choice that is within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw, provided that the creature can see or hear you. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. The DM may rule a humanoid non-player character is important enough to the story it automatically saves against this effect. In such a case, your action is still wasted, but your use of Channel Divinity is not.

A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can't willingly end its move in a space within 30 feet of you. It also can't take reactions. For its action, it can only use the Dash action to try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there's nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

Typically, the creature suddenly remembers something important it has to take care of, right now.

After you reach 5th level, when a creature fails it saving throw against your Write-Off Secondary Character feature, you may force the creature to have an unfortunate mishap that kills it off if its challenge rating is at or below a certain threshold, as shown on the Write-Off Secondary Character table.

WRITE-OFF SECONDARY CHARACTER TABLE
5th: 1/2 or lower
8th: 1 or lower
11th: 2 or lower
14th: 3 or lower
17th: 4 or lower

GLANCING BLOW
Starting at 6th level, when you or a creature within 30 feet of you takes bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, you can use your reaction to grant resistance to the creature against that instance of damage.

DIVINE STRIKE
Starting at 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 damage of the same type dealt by the weapon to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

LORE MASTERY
At 17th level, you choose a mixture of four spells from the bard or wizard spell list, one from each of the following levels: 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th. You add them to your list of domain spells. Like your other domain spells, they are always prepared and count as cleric spells for you.

NEW DOMAIN SPELLS
These domain spells are taken from The (not really) Complete Tome of Spells, a 3rd party spell resource for 5th edition D&D. I chose to include these spells as a part of the Lore Domain Spells because they fit thematically with the Domain and because they helped me fulfill some required spells for a specific character concept I am working on.

Elonia's Glamer
1st-level illusion
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a pinch of ruby dust and a pinch of chalk dust)
Duration: 3 hours

You subtly change the appearance of yourself or one other humanoid, making that person more or less attractive. This does not make that person look like someone else. Rather, for the positive version, makes the target's eyes appear to sparkle, their skin clearer and smoother, their teeth straighter and whiter, and their hair thicker and more lustrous; or for the negative version, makes the person seem lackluster and unkempt. An unwilling target may make a Wisdom saving throw to resist.

While the positive version of the spell is active, the target has advantage on all Charisma ability checks designed to illicit a positive reaction. While the negative version of this spell is active, the target has disadvantage on all Charisma ability checks.

Isolde's Answer
3rd-level divination (ritual)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a crystal ball or gilt-framed mirror worth at least 250 gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You hold a mirror or crystal ball and ask a question (which must begin with who, what, or where). For instance, "Where did I put my keys?" or "What is on the other side of the iron gate?" or "Who is the fairest of them all?" The item then shows you an answering image, provided the object, place, or person is within 5 miles of you. It provides no other information about the image.

Siren Song
4th-level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 300 feet
Components: V, S, M (a large conch shell and a pint of water)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

You choose a humanoid target within range that you can see. That target hears haunting, beautiful music and must make a Wisdom saving throw or become overwhelmed with the need to find the source. As the music is illusory, it has no actual source and so the target will wander aimlessly.

The target will ignore all distractions and will attempt to walk through any obstacle that isn't an obvious danger. If the target's companions keep him from finding the source of the music, the target will fight them.