PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Is Nymph's Beauty from The (not really) Complete Tome of Spells Balanced?

Levism84
2015-12-05, 11:31 PM
I like this 3rd party spell and would like to use it for a future character, but it seems like it needs some work in its current state. I was hoping I could get some feedback from the forums as to how to address some of its issues, such as how often a saving throw is made against it, whether the psychic damage requires a save, and whether or not "Concentration, up to 10 minutes" is excessive for its effect.

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback.

Nymph's Beauty
7th-level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (30-foot radius)
Components: V, S, M (a nymph's tear)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

You become blindingly beautiful. Any humanoid within range who can see you must make a Constitution saving throw or become blinded. A lesser restoration spell will be needed to remove this effect.

If you remove your clothing or are already naked, any creature who sees you and who is not blinded takes 10d8 psychic damage.

This spell can be used by both men and women and affects both men and women equally.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-06, 11:59 AM
You could go a couple of different ways with this. You could make it into a Power Word clone, in which case I would make the duration instantaneous and inflict blindness (no damage) without a save, but then allow a save to recover every round. Probably a Wisdom save.

You could keep the 10 minute effect, and keep it as a lose/lose (save=damage, no save=blind), but that would warrant an uplift to 9th-level.

You could switch it to both damage and blindness on a failed save. That should again be instantaneous with a save to recover every round. And maybe 8th-level, depending on the amount of damage.

By the way, you may be interested in my Blue Magic conversion... check out my extended sig (it's under character options), if you dare!