PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Archetype] Umbrakineticist

Xuldarinar
2015-12-06, 01:20 AM
UMBRAKINETICIST (KINETICIST ARCHETYPE)
???
-Void Focus (Ex): An umbrakineticist must choose void as her primary element and must choose shadow blast as her first simple blast (Below).
-Expanded Shadows (Su): Regardless of the element an umbrakineticist chooses at 7th level, they acquire the shade blast kinetic blast. An umbrakineticist does not gain access to any other kinetic blasts. An umbrakineticist treats her kineticist level as only 2 levels lower for the purpose of determining which wild talents she can learn from her expanded element, but utility wild talents from any element other than void are only as real as her shadow blast.

SHADOW BLAST
Element void; Type simple blast (Sp); Level -; Burn 0
Prerequisites Umbrakineticist archetype
Blast Type see text; Damage see text
Choose another simple blast. You produce a semi-real version of that blast, woven from shadow. If the target of your blast succeeds on a will save to disbelieve the shadow blast, they only take a percentage of the damage normally dealt, equal to 10 times half your kineticist level, to a maximum of 90% at 18th level. Shadow blast is considered compatible with all infusions, though if you choose to apply an infusion to shadow blast normally incompatable with the form it is in, the shadow blast is considered 10% less real and the Will save required to disbelieve is lowered by the level of the infusion added. If the infusion applies an effect and the blast it is tied to is disbelieved, this effect only has a percent chance of actually occurring equal to the percent real the shadow blast is.

Objects automatically succeed on their Will saves.
[/tr]

SHADE BLAST
Element void; Type composite blast (Sp); Level -; Burn 2
Prerequisites Shadow blast, Umbrakineticist archetype
Blast Type see text; Damage see text
This functions identically to shadow blast, except it functions with composite blasts instead of simple blasts.
[/tr]

I had an idea, so I thought I'd get it out there. I'll refine the wording and tweak to balance later. Any and all feedback, as usual, is appreciated.

Ethereal Gears
2015-12-09, 12:23 PM
I think this looks rather nice. Obviously, I cannot help but compare it with the shadefire adept archetype I created for my shadewright class, with which I think it contrasts in an interesting fashion. I think the shadow blast mechanic is simple but elegant, and it doesn't seem unbalanced to me. It actually makes me really want to play one of these. It would be cool if they could somehow gain access to some version of shadow conjuration via wild talents, to create some non-blasty shadow effects. Anyway, good job. I like the look of this!

Cheers,
- Gears

Xuldarinar
2015-12-09, 02:27 PM
I think this looks rather nice. Obviously, I cannot help but compare it with the shadefire adept archetype I created for my shadewright class, with which I think it contrasts in an interesting fashion. I think the shadow blast mechanic is simple but elegant, and it doesn't seem unbalanced to me. It actually makes me really want to play one of these. It would be cool if they could somehow gain access to some version of shadow conjuration via wild talents, to create some non-blasty shadow effects. Anyway, good job. I like the look of this!

Cheers,
- Gears

That is a tempting notion. I could make a number of shadow conjuration(esque) utility wild talents that would only be available to umbrakineticists, or would perhaps be options for all Chaokineticists but function suitably with the archetype.

In addition to doing that, I certainly want to clean up text a bit, atleast give the class proper flavor text prior to the class features.

We'll see what comes up ultimately.

TerrickTerran
2015-12-10, 12:11 PM
I like the archetype. It looks quite cool.