PDA

View Full Version : A fork on the road

Lorde
2007-06-10, 11:04 PM
Let say the gang need to achieve 2 objectives at the same time, and splitting the group is the best way to do that.

How would you split the group?

Logic
2007-06-10, 11:05 PM
Well, we know that one path (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0002.html) didn't work out so well...

Scarab83
2007-06-10, 11:08 PM
If they were all alive again?

Team A: Haley, Elan, and Durkon
Team B: Roy, Belkar, and Vaarsuvius

Durkon would be able to stand the lovey-dovey attitude between Haley and Elan, while Roy is able to keep Belkar on somewhat of a leash.

truemane
2007-06-10, 11:12 PM
Assuming the two tasks were roughly equal in terms of difficulty and make-up, I'd do it this way:

Splinter 1:
Roy
Belkar
V

Splinter 2:
Haley
Elan
Durkon

Rationale: Splinter 1 has all the fighters and the Arcane Magic Person. This allows them to meet most difficulties directly and immediately. Roy and Belkar beat stuff, V fries the rest. Splinter 2, while less powerful in a stand-up fight, with some pre-preparation (which Haley can do) they can work around most encounters. And if they get caught up in a nasty fight, Durkon is there to fix them up after.

Plus Roy in the only one that can control Belkar, and V would go mad if forced to endure Haley and Elan for long.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Great minds think alike, eh Scarab?

Yechezkiel
2007-06-10, 11:17 PM
Why not split up the healers? (Actually I can't remember if Elan can...)

Scarab83
2007-06-10, 11:29 PM
EDIT: Ninja'd. Great minds think alike, eh Scarab?

Damn straight. :smallbiggrin:

Pagz
2007-06-10, 11:55 PM
Team A: Haley, Elan, and Durkon
Team B: Roy, Belkar, and Vaarsuvius

I agree.

Elan should be able to cast Cure light wounds, if he took it as a spell, however regarding the sword-in-spleen incident, I don't think he has it (or was too worried that he'd fail a concentration check, and by seeing him in the strip, I don't think he would).

Gaelbert
2007-06-11, 01:24 AM
Roy would have to be with Belkar so the Mark of Justice wouldn't be triggered.

Setra
2007-06-11, 01:29 AM
Roy, Belkar, Haley, and Elan.

Durkon and V.

Demented
2007-06-11, 01:46 AM
Team A: Haley, Elan, Vaarsuvius, Durkon.

Team B: Roy, Belkar.

Depending on how difficult things are, we may need to move Roy over to team A. :smallbiggrin:

Iranon
2007-06-11, 04:37 AM
Team 1: Roy, Vaarsuvius, Durkon

Team 2: Haley, Belkar, Elan

Team 1 consists of boring if solid builds, which is also reflected by their professionalism. They have enough raw prowess to solve any problem they can't reason through with force . If stealth is called for, Vaarsuvius' spells can compensate for the worst of Durkon's and Roy's shortcomings.

Team 2: Two sneaks and one decoy, emphasising stealth over power and improvisation over planning. Haley is probably a semi-competent leader, despite her assessment that the three are 'staggeringly and consistently irresponsible'. If she got used to it, I have faith that she will whip them into being an effective team.

EyethatBinds
2007-06-11, 05:06 AM
Seems the standard combo is Haley, Vaarsuvius, and Belkar with the default being other half being Roy, Durkon and Elan. But in #157 [no idea how to do the link trick] it is shown that sometimes things go awry. With Roy dead though I doubt the party will risk splitting up unless needed.

Setra
2007-06-11, 06:52 AM
So you think V will regroup with the party?

Probably a good idea, invisibility only lasts so long, and they would be good protection.

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-06-11, 09:37 AM
Assuming the nature of the task is unknown or such that it requires a broad range of abilities to solve, I'd go with:

Team A: Roy, Varsuuvius, Elan/Haley
Team B: Belkar, Durkon, Haley/Elan

That way each team has a meleer, a caster and a skill monkey of some description. I can't really decide which way round you'd have to put Elan and Haley to ensure a roughly even level of prowess (Belkar & Durkon combined are more powerful in melee than Roy alone, but Durkon isn't as prolific a caster as V), although I'm tempted to put Elan on Durkon's team simply because he seems to get hurt more often than Haley as far as I can remember and with his d6 hit die he could use the healing.

For maximum personality cohesion, I'd do:

Team A: Roy, Durkon, Belkar
Team B: Elan, Haley, Varsuuvius.

Roy and Durkon get on well and between them should be able to keep Belkar in line. Elan & Haley on the same team is obvious, plus V gets along well with Haley more than anyone else in the group.

For maximum humour:

Team A: Roy, Belkar, Elan
Team B: Haley, Durkon, Varsuuvius

I mean, c'mon, Roy on his own putting up with both Elan (even with his new found competence methinks he still grates on Roy a tad) and Belkar? :smallbiggrin:

squidthingy
2007-06-11, 10:18 AM
Team 1: Roy, Vaarsuvius, Durkon

Team 2: Haley, Belkar, Elan

Team 1 consists of boring if solid builds, which is also reflected by their professionalism. They have enough raw prowess to solve any problem they can't reason through with force . If stealth is called for, Vaarsuvius' spells can compensate for the worst of Durkon's and Roy's shortcomings.

Team 2: Two sneaks and one decoy, emphasising stealth over power and improvisation over planning. Haley is probably a semi-competent leader, despite her assessment that the three are 'staggeringly and consistently irresponsible'. If she got used to it, I have faith that she will whip them into being an effective team.

Belkar didn't even use a sneaky tactic when he was a ranger, now that he has multiclassed into barbarion there is no way he would resist to urge to charge in weapon first

jindra34
2007-06-11, 10:19 AM
Belkar didn't even use a sneaky tactic when he was a ranger, now that he has multiclassed into barbarion there is no way he would resist to urge to charge in weapon first

did he ever say who the sneaks were?

squidthingy
2007-06-11, 10:21 AM
So you think V will regroup with the party?

Probably a good idea, invisibility only lasts so long, and they would be good protection.

V may have been implied as the other resonsible one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0075.html), but haley is second-in-command, so if charge needs to be taken haley will probaly do it

squidthingy
2007-06-11, 10:27 AM
did he ever say who the sneaks were?

elan's move silently check (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0090.html), even if he rolled a two(if he rolled a one he would have said 'natural one' because it is an automatic failure)that means he only has a maximum of two skill points in move silently, that's not enough to have him be consistently using the sneaky tactic

jindra34
2007-06-11, 10:30 AM
elan's move silently check (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0090.html), even if he rolled a two(if he rolled a one he would have said 'natural one' because it is an automatic failure)that means he only has a maximum of two skill points in move silently, that's not enough to have him be consistently using the sneaky tactic

honestly i thought that was just his roll as he did manage to sneak out of captivity of the bandit camp.

Yechezkiel
2007-06-11, 10:37 AM

Since when is a Natural 1 a failure on a skill check? Thought that was limited to attack rolls and saves?

squidthingy
2007-06-11, 11:00 AM
honestly i thought that was just his roll as he did manage to sneak out of captivity of the bandit camp.

that was using the boots of elvenkind which might only have a temperary effect, that would explain why he doesn't wear them all the time, that or wearing them causes him to not be able to do other things such as cast bard spells or fight

Since when is a Natural 1 a failure on a skill check? Thought that was limited to attack rolls and saves?

i think your right, i was thinking of our house rule, so elan has a maximum of three skill points in move silently

Yechezkiel
2007-06-11, 11:04 AM
i think your right, i was thinking of our house rule, so elan has a maximum of three skill points in move silently

You poor souls... I hope you are rewarded for natural 20's somehow on your skill checks.

squidthingy
2007-06-11, 11:14 AM
You poor souls... I hope you are rewarded for natural 20's somehow on your skill checks.

on skill checks natural 20 is automatic success and natural 1 is automatic failure, on attack rolls and saves natural 20 is considered a 30 while natural 1 is considered a -10

Deuce
2007-06-11, 11:32 AM

Remembering that the funny is the focus here, he could also have been given a major penalty on the roll, with the final result a 4, because he shouted his result.

Even with a 3, he's since gotten the Boots of the Elvenkind and had a couple of level-ups, so his score may be better now. He may also have spells that can help or even replace stealth.

Chronos
2007-06-11, 12:36 PM
Belkar is actually a pretty good sneak, when he chooses to be. Remember his extended fight with Miko, after he escaped prison. He prefers to charge in with daggers blazing, but he's not suicidal about it.

Kioran
2007-06-11, 01:02 PM
Actually, that´s were the Order really could have used Miko - if she ever chose to use her monk class features for human ressources Management

:elan: *insert random Elan stupidity*
:miko: *Flurry of Pimpslaps* (*)

* = 4x (1d10+x) nonlethal damage

mwahaha

TOAOMT
2007-06-11, 01:34 PM
Just have to comment, I REALLY highly doubt that Miko can do 1d10 with her unarmed strike.

Kioran
2007-06-11, 01:49 PM
Just have to comment, I REALLY highly doubt that Miko can do 1d10 with her unarmed strike.

Paged through the PHB....and found you are right. She might very well be 5 or 6, but not monk 8, that´s too unlikely. So it would be a d8 - still very educational(or not) :smallbiggrin:

squidthingy
2007-06-11, 02:25 PM
human ressources Management

catbert evil director of human resources
http://www.vdi-nachrichten.com/_library/content/image/obj462_DT_Catbert_200.jpg

sorry could not resist

Edit: :elan: Better than a spoon or knife in the road! Ha ha ha!:elan:

sorry could not resist(again)

squidthingy
2007-06-11, 09:05 PM

SHE'S A MONK, DUH, OF COURSE SHE CAN DO THAT MUCH UNARMED STRIKE, actually she could probaly do more than that with an unarmed strike, or a kama

TheNovak
2007-06-11, 10:38 PM
No, she can't do that much. A monk's unarmed damage dice increase with level; she'd have to have at least 8 levels of monk to do that. I suppose it's possible, but I think she was probably recruited to paladinhood before that.

Also, Boots of Elvenkind are always on, don't prevent ya from spellcasting or taking any actions, and don't encumber you in any way that normal boots don't. If Elan's not wearing them all the time...well, he's Elan.

Setra
2007-06-11, 10:39 PM
SHE'S A MONK, DUH, OF COURSE SHE CAN DO THAT MUCH UNARMED STRIKE, actually she could probaly do more than that with an unarmed strike, or a kama
I'm fairly sure she specified "A couple levels" of Monk.

So yeah. Probably 1d6.

Edit: My bad, it's "A few levels", so 4 is quite possible.

mockingbyrd7
2007-06-11, 10:50 PM
If there was a fork on the road, Belkar's bare foot would be impaled on it.