PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Character help: Trying to build an alchemist character, but not sure on mechanics.

Odessa333
2015-12-06, 10:22 AM
Hey all! Thanks for stopping in.

As title says, I'm trying to build an alchemist. Let me say that I'm in a low level, low magic, low gold game. Last time our DM did this, we went to level 7 and never found a +1 weapon and scrolls were at a premium. However, I do know that what we can build, we can have. That said, I'm thinking of making an Alchemist with crafting galore. The party has a wizard, cleric, and fighter so far, so as I understand it I can help make the item with help from the wizard/cleric to have a wide selection of items to make. l have a nice backstory in mind for the idea (in short: Elf with the 'darkvision' racial trait suggesting Drow blood, who becomes obsessed with 'fixing' herself).

Much of this I like. Being the tinkerer, making potions and items... Yet the blueprint in my mind has her using guns, and the more I read up them, guns are not that hot unless being a gunslinger.

I've been going over the SRD for hours, trying to find a way to make this concept work. A Pure Alchemist would need at least two feats to get a gun going (gunsmithing and a weapon proficiency) possibly more, which eats up into crafting feats (and I admit I'm not great at understanding crafting, so it looks like I need more crafting feats than I could ever take). I could do a class dip, but starting at level 1 makes that tricky to get off the ground. I debated the steelhound archtype of investigator, getting guns and extracts, but it loses some of the alchemist flavor and makes things weaker for some rogue abilities.

I'm not sure if there is a better way to build this. I know what I'd like to do (tinker! experiment! create!) but getting the mechanics to work with me is proving more difficult than expected. I need a fresh set of eyes, a new perspective, etc, and was hoping someone here could help. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.

Florian
2015-12-06, 11:23 AM
What's the problem? Yes, Firearms are a bad deal for an alchemist. You already have Throw Anything and your bombs. Drink a Cognitation mutagen and go.

You already have two and a half things covered: Craft: Alchemy and Prew Potions. If you take the Infusion discovery, you can also begin to share your extracts with your team mates, which will top potions in the long run.

For the rest, you basically need a caster level to qualify for the crafting feats (You do, it's equal to your class level) and then you should have the spells needed at hand, else the DC to craft the item rises.
Hint: Your wizard gets bonus feats. Craft feats are on the bonus list....

(Un)Inspired
2015-12-07, 01:19 PM
If you want to jam with alchemy and guns the a steel hound investigator is probably the way to go.

For crafting feats take craft wondrous item. That covers so so so many bases. What else do you need for crafting? Your wizard and cleric will already be able to enhance everyone's weapons and armor without needing a single crafting feat. You Wizard has scribe scroll, Maaaaaaybe tell your cleric to take craft wand. Maybe. Literally just for CLW wands.

carrdrivesyou
2015-12-07, 03:34 PM
If you want to jam with alchemy and guns the a steel hound investigator is probably the way to go.

For crafting feats take craft wondrous item. That covers so so so many bases. What else do you need for crafting? Your wizard and cleric will already be able to enhance everyone's weapons and armor without needing a single crafting feat. You Wizard has scribe scroll, Maaaaaaybe tell your cleric to take craft wand. Maybe. Literally just for CLW wands.

I'm gonna second the crap out of this. Investigators are pretty solid mechanically. They aren't great in combat, but they get all the goodies the rest of the party doesn't. You'll get trapfinding, which your party sounds like it may need (Spike pits and contact poisons aren't magic but still hurt), you get all the skills you could ever use, and more skill points than you can shake a stick at. If I am not mistaken the investigator has an archetype that gives him a gun at first level, but I'm AFB at the moment. Barring that, I would suggest a Heavy Crossbow, a few feats (4 I think) and you'll make a pistol look like a pea shooter. But Damage isn't your role, buffing the party and filling in what they don't have is.