PDA

View Full Version : Deployed campaign/gaming help!

ArendK
2015-12-06, 11:41 AM
So I'm in a bit of a pickle; I'm GM'ing a campaign while deployed and we are having a hard time with combat. Where we game we have spotty connection, so Roll20 and the like is out. Paper and such is a hot commodity, so I can't just print stuff off at work. Graph paper is nowhere to be found, and even if I were to get it, it's generally too small to reflect what I need in combat. I own one of the vinyl mats in the rear, but even rolled up, I won't have space for it with my gear when I stash it.

Any ideas for trying to keep it low-cost so I can actually do some more complex combats than 1 or two creatures? Thanks!

Mehangel
2015-12-06, 01:14 PM
When I was on deployment I utilized either a gaming map made up of laminated graph index cards (which folded down to a very small and agreeable size) which used to be sold on Thinkgeek or a Portable projector such as these (http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Portable-Rechargeable-Projector-Presentations/dp/B00LPRFY44/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1449425272&sr=8-6&keywords=best+mini+projector).

AtlasSniperman
2015-12-06, 03:10 PM
If you have access to personal technology, id suggest charactersheets in apps and using theatre of the mind or draw-in-dirt maps. If not, the packets of ration food tends to be pretty durable.

Zakerst
2015-12-06, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure how much better if at all this might be than a gaming map but you could try legos, using the flat plates for a gaming grid, and the 1x1 nubs or bricks for mediums and the 2x2 bricks for larges ect, just a thought, also they can be stored with lots of stuff when broken down or kept all together in something no larger than a gallon bag.

Theodred theOld
2015-12-06, 03:25 PM
Not sure about your current environment but I've used a free-form mapping system in past and it was actually a bit liberating. It can be as simple as drawing lines in the dirt and using rocks to represent characters and monsters. You just need to agree on a scale ahead of time and have a quick way to measure distance like a ruler, tape measure or even a length of cord. The lack of grid seems to help players get more immersed and creative in their tactics.

Ursus Spelaeus
2015-12-06, 03:31 PM
Do you have access to playing cards?
You can use a standard 52 card deck for a battle-map instead of using a battle-map.
It's nifty because it also gives you a way to randomly generate an environment if you ascribe terrain features to different cards.