PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rule question regarding Finger of Death

lv99wizard
2015-12-06, 03:04 PM
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. Finger of death spell description (PHB p.241) reads:

"You send negative energy coursing through a creature
that you can see within range, causing it searing pain.
The target must make a Constitution saving throw. It
takes 7d8 + 30 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half
as much damage on a successful one.
A humanoid killed by this spell rises at the start of
your next turn as a zombie that is permanently under
your command, following your verbal orders to the best"

If we imagine a fighter with 100 Max HP has been whittled down to about 50HP. This fighter is then hit by a Finger of Death spell for ~70 damage. Does the fighter die outright or are they rendered unconscious and must make death saves in subsequent turns?

My understanding is, for a player to die, they must be reduced to 0HP and then fail 3 death saves. Alternatively, massive damage equal to a player's maximum hp sustained in one go is an instant kill without the option for saves.

So, I'm thinking the fighter in this example would get death saves. Is this correct? Thanks!

Boci
2015-12-06, 03:06 PM
Yes, the fighter would need to take 150 damage for instant death to kick in.

Tenmujiin
2015-12-06, 03:36 PM
The intent is probably that he will become a zombie if he fails the death saves but I would definately still give the saves.

Boci
2015-12-06, 03:39 PM
The intent is probably that he will become a zombie if he fails the death saves but I would definately still give the saves.

Possible, or the intent was that the zombie thing is for NPCs only, who typically do not get death savings throws and are killed at 0 HP.

weaseldust
2015-12-06, 03:59 PM
The descriptions for Immolation and Disintegrate specifically say that the target is killed in a special way when reduced to 0HP, providing for instant death (it would be a bit odd if you made death saving throws for 3 rounds and then your body spontaneously turned into fine ash). I imagine that if Finger of Death were meant to produce a similar instant death effect, the description would say so.

lv99wizard
2015-12-06, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. This is what I thought as well. The reason I ask is because I watch Critical Role (geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/ if those who are unfamiliar) and a player came very close to 0HP after being hit with finger of death, with the DM implying the spell would be an instant kill.

MaxWilson
2015-12-06, 04:42 PM
So, I'm thinking the fighter in this example would get death saves. Is this correct? Thanks!

Nothing says that you don't get death saves, so I'd let you have death saves. If you fail them, however, you turn into a zombie.

I use a similar logic w/rt Grim Harvest, which gives the Necromancer HP on a kill. As long as the Necromancer's spell is the last thing that damaged you before death, it still counts as the thing that killed you. So, if one of your buddies sees you convulsing and shuddering on the ground after a Finger of Death, and he quickly cuts your throat (hits you twice for auto-crits, causing four automatic death save failures), you won't turn into a zombie and the Necromancer regains no HP, because the spell didn't kill you, your buddy did.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-15, 02:03 PM
What episode?