PDA

View Full Version : Question about Skill Points and Racial Skills

Chopt Livah
2015-12-06, 11:05 PM
Hi, I have a question. Im currently rolling up a character for a game with my group, and Ive decided on a Doppelganger Gentleman of Hats. LOL i know. my question is this: The Gentleman of Hats class has skill points equal to 4+INT modifier per level and the Doppelganger has racial skills at 7 x (2+INT modifier). Do these skill points stack? would I get the totals of both? I would assume only the class skills would increase each level as well.

thanks in advance!

Ursus Spelaeus
2015-12-06, 11:16 PM
Gentleman of Hats?
I'm not familiar with that class.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the doppelganger's skill points are only for its monstrous humanoid levels.
The... Gentleman of Hats skill points are only for Gentleman of Hats levels.

OldTrees1
2015-12-06, 11:50 PM
Doppelganger has 7*(2+Int) skill points from its first 4 Hit Dice just as a 4th level Human Fighter has 7*(2+Int). Just as the skill points from Cleric would stack with those from Fighter, skill points from The Gentleman of Hats will stack with the skill points from Doppelganger.

Each Hit Dice(level) you will get new skill points to spend.
All skills that are class skills for your current level or any prior level are limited to a maximum of HD+3 ranks (all other skills being limited to half that many ranks)
Your current level(Doppelganger for the first 4 HD and Gentleman of Hats for the 5th HD) lets you buy ranks in their class skills at 1 point:1 rank and buy other skill ranks at 1 point:1/2 rank.

An example:
If your Doppelganger Gentleman of Hats 1 has 14 Intelligence, it would get 7*(2+2) + 1*(4+2) = 28+6=34 skill points. Sense motive is a class skill for Doppelganger but not for Gentleman of Hats. Since it was a class skill at least once, it has a maximum number of ranks equal to HD+3 (5+3 = 8 in this case). You could spend 7 of the skill points from doppelganger to give sense motive 7 ranks(since your maximum number of ranks was 7 last level). Then you could spend 2 skill points from Gentleman of Hats to increase that to 8 ranks(spending 2 skill points since Sense Motive is not a class skill for Gentleman of Hats).

Edit:
Obligatory Notice:
Since The Gentleman of Hats is from dandwiki.com, you might be unaware that it is a homebrew class rather than an official class. Some homebrew is good, some homebrew is bad, I am not saying which this is. I am only mentioning it since dandwiki.com does not make it readily apparent to newer players.