PDA

View Full Version : Optimisation help: Tauric changeling: exploiting the monstrous humanoid type

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-07, 12:32 AM
I want to make a changeling monk that uses racial emulation to nab the sweet-as-pie kuo-toa monk feats from MMV. Kuo-toa monasticism, and mind-shattering strike.

The problem is: the changeling can only racially emulate creatures within it's type.

The tauric template is a strange template. You combine any animal or vermin, size m or L, use it's base stats, add their racial hit die, and mash it into a humanoid. What comes out of the other side of that is a centaur like monstrosity that, fortunate for my needs, has the monstrous humanoid type.

What animals do I pair with changeling to facilitate the best result that will help with my changeling monk build?

I'm thinking that I might be able to find a smaller HitDice animal with 4 legs. Maybe one that can fly? But there might be some other thing that I'm not thinking about hard enough.

On the other side of the optimization is now I'm a monstrous humanoid changeling who can racially emulate any other monstrous humanoid feat, spell, or prestige class. What do we got that can compliment such a weird beast, that will have at least 2 levels in monk.

Edit: I just discovered the elasmosaurus mount option of waverider. What kind of saddle would a tauric changeling need to ride and elasmosaurus?

Also just started playing with a scaled horror dip for improved grab and free ranger spell a day.

Rubik
2015-12-07, 01:07 AM
Racial Emulation only works on Humanoid forms, unfortunately.

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-07, 01:20 AM
Racial Emulation only works on Humanoid forms, unfortunately.

you are absolutely correct.

Chronos
2015-12-07, 08:04 PM
And Tauric is open to all sorts of cheese even by itself. The biggest problem is that it loses all of the LA of the lower half, so you can just say that some LA +100 templated monstrosity was your dad, and you get most of the benefits for just a couple of racial hit dice.