PDA

View Full Version : The Man of Many, Many, Many Faces

ekarney
2015-12-07, 12:35 AM
I've been tossing around this character concept for a good 5 minutes now, time spent writing this post not included.

The general concept comes from having as many unique, alternate forms gained from classes/PrC's as possible.

-The form cannot be emulated by any other class, so Bear Warrior is off the tables, because wildshape/polymorph exists.

-When I say alternate form I'm referring to any non-spell, class feature that makes the character in question appear differently with a mechanical change. It does NOT have to qualify for Warshaper.

-The change cannot be permanent, so the creature must have some way of changing back to it's original form.

So far I have Twisted Lord and Primeval I'll need to figure out requirements later right now I'm just hoarding info.

For the record, I currently have no intention of playing this character. I'm currently DMing and considering using it for a a recurring enemy, maybe I'm just resource hoarding at the moment since we haven't had a session in a while so I'm willing to wave a lot of requirements.

Since I like to not hold myself to a different standard to my players when creating NPC's I'll tell you what I disallow.
Tome of Battle - I haven't read it, so it sits in the not allowed pile until I have.
Psionics, unless the NPC in question is an Illithid or Brain in a Jar. (The campaign has a high focus on arcane magic being the driving the pint with psionics being extremely rare.)

I'm allowing all of Dragon Magazine, and for this I'm willing to look at 3rd party and homebrew.

So what's everyone's thoughts on this concept? A villian that keeps reappearing in a different, distorted form.

I'd also appreciate some help in finding additional classes that will help achieve this.

Rubik
2015-12-07, 12:54 AM
You mean something like a were raven-swarm? I don't know of any other racial or class abilities that allow you to turn into something like that.

nedz
2015-12-07, 02:10 PM
The Warlock Dark Discorporation invocation turns you into a swarm of bats. It is a Dark one though.

Darrin
2015-12-07, 03:01 PM
I was going to say Mountebank's Alter Ego (Complete Scoundrel), but that's a (Sp). Thrall of Juiblex (BoVD) gets Alter Self as a (Su), though.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-12-07, 03:18 PM
Master of Masks allows you to take a half-dozen different personas, and, as an added perk, changes your apparent alignment to match your active persona. They are not forms per sé (though there is an angel mask, which might allow you to pass for outsider, and a lich mask, which might emulate undeath), but the whole class is Man of Many Faces supreme.

The Viscount
2015-12-08, 05:44 PM
Spymaster has cover identities which can provide you with many faces to use.

Cabinet Trickster gets you change shape as a su ability, like the doppleganger, which is indefinite, reversible, and not duplicated anywhere I've seen.

Rubik
2015-12-08, 10:36 PM
Cabinet Trickster gets you change shape as a su ability, like the doppleganger, which is indefinite, reversible, and not duplicated anywhere I've seen.Metamorphosis + Metamorphic Transfer. Alternatively, Polymorph + Assume Supernatural Ability.

You could always Metamorphosis/Polymorph into a phasm and use M.T. or A.S.A. to use its shapeshifting ability to turn into anything of Large size or smaller regardless of type, CR, or HD, including epic stuff.

Use illithid savant, warshaper, grafts, feats, powers, and spells to give yourself all sorts of body parts and abilities nobody else has in your particular combination.