PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Glyph of Warding Houserule

DracoKnight
2015-12-07, 05:08 PM
This houserule was implemented by another DM I game with, and I am going to implement it in my games as well. I'm wondering what the forum's thoughts are.

NOTE: My mind, and the other DM's mind are already decided, we're using this. I'm mainly curious to see what everyone else thinks.

(This houserule was implemented for a Skyrim setting, to make the Rune spells easier to simulate)

Glyph of Warding Houserule

Glyph of Warding now costs 10gp + 10gp per level of spell put into the glyph. The casting time is now 10 minutes. The Glyph of Warding spell as written is permanent, but still consumes a spell slot when triggered. You must be conscious for the spell to trigger.

SterlingWren
2015-12-18, 02:18 AM
Long time lurker first time commenting.

I saw this a while back, and implemented it in my campaign. This works really well. I wish that this was Glyph of Warding by RAW.

DracoKnight
2015-12-18, 02:29 AM

Welcome!

(There is no escaping now *evil laugh*)

I saw this a while back, and implemented it in my campaign. This works really well. I wish that this was Glyph of Warding by RAW.

I'm glad that this is working out for you. Ever since I houseruled this, I haven't had a session to really test it out.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-12-18, 03:24 AM

And I thank you, so very, very, very, very much for implementing that :smallbiggrin:

Signed,

Your very annoying Sorcleradin :smallcool:

SterlingWren
2015-12-18, 03:28 AM
And I thank you, so very, very, very, very much for implementing that :smallbiggrin:

Signed,

Your very annoying Sorcleradin :smallcool:

...damnit. You're on here. Now I know to be careful what I post.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-18, 11:12 PM
What I want to know is what problem does this fix?

I want to know so I can go, "Oh! I get it" as opposed to finding out why at table some night.

DracoKnight
2015-12-18, 11:43 PM
What I want to know is what problem does this fix?

I want to know so I can go, "Oh! I get it" as opposed to finding out why at table some night.

Normally it costs 200gp, and is a one time use. No one ever used it - and the one person who did, couldn't use it often. My group has always felt that was too high, and so we crafted a rule that would allow it to be used more often, while not allowing for Revivify shenanigans.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-20, 10:53 PM
In fact, it so needs this!

I completely forgot Glyph Spells for this reason, like the old catch-all Guards and Wards. Totally not a "here and now" needed spell, so no one used it.

Markoff Chainey
2015-12-22, 03:59 AM
do you mind to explain how this is excactly supposed to work...

the Glyph is permanent, but consumes a spell slot? - so the effect is a one time use and the creator of the glyph can recharge it by spending another spell slot?

Also, the "if the object is moved by more than 10 feet..." is still in effect? (no handgrenades?) - this is actually what I really dislike about the spell, because it does not allow to "secure" personal items that you carry with yourself. On the other hand, I understand that it was done on purpose to prevent e.g. a familiar to drop 20 "grenades" on a group of opponents..

DracoKnight
2015-12-22, 04:13 AM
do you mind to explain how this is excactly supposed to work...

the Glyph is permanent, but consumes a spell slot? - so the effect is a one time use and the creator of the glyph can recharge it by spending another spell slot?

Yes, this is basically how it works, if you use the version that is written in the book.

Also, the "if the object is moved by more than 10 feet..." is still in effect? (no handgrenades?) - this is actually what I really dislike about the spell, because it does not allow to "secure" personal items that you carry with yourself. On the other hand, I understand that it was done on purpose to prevent e.g. a familiar to drop 20 "grenades" on a group of opponents..

The "if an object is moved more than 10 feet" is still in effect, but (for instance) we ruled that skin is a surface, not an object. So you could Glyph yourself with a spell and be free to move around. EXAMPLE: Glyph of Spirit Guardians with the trigger "enter combat." When you cast the spell you expend two 3rd level spell slots. Take a long rest. When you enter combat, one 3rd-level spell slot is consumed and Spirit Guardians is triggered. This happens every time - unless you're out of spell slots to fuel it. Now, we added the consciousness clause, so that players couldn't pull of Revivify shenanigans, with the trigger "when I die."

Markoff Chainey
2015-12-22, 08:54 AM
Thanks for your clarifications!

Did you read this thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3j5v4f/why_glyph_of_warding_may_be_the_most_broken_spell/) by any chance? It is a discussion about GoW being one of the most broken spells in the game... I just found it because I searched for similiar threads.

I really like spell gems and GoW rand spell tatoos and stuff, but they are all really hard to balance.