PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help building a new character from concept: True Evil & Cold (3.x)

Jowgen
2015-12-07, 11:31 PM
A stout advocate of the moral superiority of Evil who strongly favors the cold. A charming man concerned only with bringing the Evil way of life to the masses, because he truly believes it to be the best path; who freezes his enemies to death. That is what I'm going for here.

Goal: Decent damage (AoE preferred), high flexibility, good social skills, all the Cold & NE flavor

Resources: ECL 13, all 3e & 3.5 material (including Dragon mag but excluding ToB); LA buyoff and PHBII retraining on the table, reasonable DM flexibility, lactose tolerance low-med (no DMM or circle magic)

I am thinking of a cold-based blaster; but as I usually shun casters in favor of the challenge of making a mundane character workable, this is relatively unknown territory for me. I know I'll be wanting the Piercing Cold feat, probably snow-casting or maybe just regular energy substitution cold. Winterhaunt of Ibor-whatever seems like a decent PrC for this; but I'm not sure it's worth it. I

Any input welcome :smallsmile:

stanprollyright
2015-12-07, 11:52 PM
My mind first goes to a Sorcerer Frost Mage. Also could do a Cleric with either Cold or Winter domain. Or Beguiler with Arcane Disciple in one of the aforementioned domains. Or Warmage. Or Druid who likes cold spells. Take Snowcasting, Piercing Cold, Frozen Magic, Cold Spell Specialization, Cold Focus, Frostfell Prodigy, and Empower Spell.

xyianth
2015-12-08, 01:07 AM
I attempted to do a quick optimization pass of winterhaunt for you:

race: azurin
build: dread necromancer 1/cleric 2/master of shrouds 2/frost mage 4/winterhaunt of iborighu 10
feats: tomb-tainted soul[1], spell focus(conjuration)[h], frozen magic[3], chosen of iborighu[6], craft wondrous item[9], persist spell[12], divine metamagic(persist)[15], <open>[18]
details:

use azurin racial substitution level for cleric 1 to gain channel incarnum instead of rebuke undead
grab the dragon below domain and the planning domain as a cleric (can also be cloistered cleric and pick up knowledge devotion if desired)
can self-heal at level 1
has two pools of turn attempts for DMM fuel (total attempts without items: 10+(2*cha); nightstick adds +8 attempts)
all winterhaunt features
can summon shadows at ECL 5 (3+cha/day)
casts as a 18th level cleric and 1st level dread necromancer
stat priority: wis>con/cha>dex>int/str
cleric gets enough decent cold spells that you won't really need to substitute anything
as a DMM based build, you should have a decent charisma score for convincing the masses that evil>good
doesn't require flaws, but if you use them you can get two extra feats to play with