PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next "Acts speak truer than Nobility," Oath of the Challenge

Amnoriath
2015-12-08, 12:34 AM
Many heroes strive for greatness but often it is for fame, glory, and one's own gratification. Paladins who seek this oath do not do so for the attention but to better themselves and test their own limits. These heroes will undertake the most treacherous of tasks and carry codes of their own as codes of kingdoms or religions seek to minimize risk and possibly only benefit the few. These Paladins become symbols in their live's great stories not because they sought glory but because they are.

Oath of the Challenge

http://img01.deviantart.net/816b/i/2013/031/7/7/spartan_by_therisingsoul-d5teq2z.jpg

Dedication: Everything you do must be the best you could possibly do at the moment.
Perseverance: You must see through the hardships and trials you must face especially if you had put it on yourself unless it would come at the cost of others. Either way you must accept the costs of the decision.
Fairness: When observing interactions it is paramount that fair play as well as willingness is executed and that success is based on merit or similar ideals.
Tenacity: You are always among the first to answer a challenge or fulfill a quest if it would be reasonable to do so.

Oath Spells
Level 3: Compelled Duel, Thunderwave
Level 5: Enhance Ability, Shatter
Level 9: Counterspell, Haste
Level 13: Freedom of Movement, Stoneskin
Level 17: Bigby's Hand, Legend Lore

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.

Boundless Movement: As an action you can imbue yourself or a creature you touch with unnatural vigor and movement. For 1 minute that creature's walking speed is increased by 10 feet and may use it for swimming, climbing, and jumping and you may re-roll one physical ability check after you rolled but before you know the result.

Awesome Blow: As an action choose one target within 60 feet of yourself that target must succeed on a Strength save or be shoved 15 feet in a direction of your choice while being rendered prone. They are also incapacitated until the end of your next turn. If they are adjacent to you they take 1d10+strength modifier in magical bludgeoning damage, though if they fail the save the damage is doubled. If they have harmed a helpless creature they make the save with disadvantage.

Supernal Body: At level 7 any time you make an attack roll you can make a strength check against a creature or object. Additionally you and any friendly creature with in 10 feet can add a d4 to any physical ability check they make.
At level 18 the range is increased to 30 feet.

Vigor Unbound: At level 15 you have advantage on any save against forced movement, restrained, grappled, paralyzed, exhaustion, or being prone. Additionally, if you have made a successful melee attack against that creature the next strength check against them by you may be made with advantage as long as it is done by the end of your next turn. Alternatively the next strength check they make against something else is made with disadvantage as long as it is done with in the same time.

Avatar of Glory: At level 20 as an action you become a paragon of physical perfection being able to break the normal physical limitations of the mortal body. You gain the following benefits for 1 minute.

When you activate this form you can benefit as if either Lesser Restoration or Greater Restoration was cast on you. This may even apply if you are incapacitated but not unconscious.
Your Strength and Dexterity scores are increased by 4 which may go over your normal cap of 20.
You benefit from the Enlarge option of the Enlarge/reduce spell except you suffer no drawbacks from being in a larger form nor do any enemies gain any benefit against you for it.
When performing Strength checks against other creatures you are not bound by your size and your capacity to lift, pull, push, and carry is doubled.

Amnoriath
2015-12-09, 07:19 AM
Does anyone have a comment?

Turtlemancer
2015-12-09, 03:27 PM
Its certainly an interesting concept I my only issue is that a paladin archetype that is all about inspiring others through self perfection, not getting an aura at level 7 seems odd. I mean I know not all paladins get another aura at 7 but the most prominent example of that is Vengeance which is hardly a paladin and more of a Broody Anti-Hero with Emo-Hair.

WarrentheHero
2015-12-09, 03:48 PM
I'm a little confused on how Awesome Blow works if they're at range from you? Do you just gesture at them and they suddenly get moved in some way?
It seems to me like the only time I would really want to use it is if I'm in 5 feet of my target.

Turtlemancer
2015-12-09, 04:07 PM
Huh... didn't notice that I just assumed that they needed to succeed an attack first... Then again the dude gave the class Bigby's hand. Maybe they should add flavor text.

Though I am not sure the whole knocking your enemy onto his tuckus, fits with the classes fair play element. This guy is supposed to be the epitome of honor and self perfection right? Shoving a guy on the ground seems a bit weird, realistic, yes. (Most medieval combat was about knocking your enemy prone and stabbing him to death as he lay bleeding.) but not the most honorable concept in a fantasy setting.

Amnoriath
2015-12-09, 06:10 PM
Its certainly an interesting concept I my only issue is that a paladin archetype that is all about inspiring others through self perfection, not getting an aura at level 7 seems odd. I mean I know not all paladins get another aura at 7 but the most prominent example of that is Vengeance which is hardly a paladin and more of a Broody Anti-Hero with Emo-Hair.

Yeah, I had an issue in how to do what I wanted in a Paladin frame. I feared a 1d4 aura would be too strong in Bounded Accuracy and I didn't know were else to put bonus action strength check. Obviously if I would do that bonus action ability would be gone and the 15th level ability is quite good already.

Amnoriath
2015-12-09, 06:30 PM
Huh... didn't notice that I just assumed that they needed to succeed an attack first... Then again the dude gave the class Bigby's hand. Maybe they should add flavor text.

Though I am not sure the whole knocking your enemy onto his tuckus, fits with the classes fair play element. This guy is supposed to be the epitome of honor and self perfection right? Shoving a guy on the ground seems a bit weird, realistic, yes. (Most medieval combat was about knocking your enemy prone and stabbing him to death as he lay bleeding.) but not the most honorable concept in a fantasy setting.

1. Bigby's Hand is added because among all the 5th level spells it best represents strength and other physical maneuvers. Part of the mechanics is that they become general physical paragons.
2. I never put Honor in my tenets. What I put was Fairness which is geared towards noticing anything that would be considered cheating, fixing, initiation of force against someone's will, or breaking the nature of the duel. Hence the disadvantage clause of Awesome Blow. Yes that is a possibility but that in and of itself wasn't breaking honor especially if it was in the context of a competitive fight or defending others.

Amnoriath
2015-12-09, 06:31 PM
I'm a little confused on how Awesome Blow works if they're at range from you? Do you just gesture at them and they suddenly get moved in some way?
It seems to me like the only time I would really want to use it is if I'm in 5 feet of my target.

1. Well admittedly it was a call made when looking at Abjure Enemy since it doesn't last that long.
2. Actually it is in any direction so you can pull them closer.

Amnoriath
2015-12-12, 07:15 PM
Okay I changed things around to mimic a true paladin better. Where my suspicions correct and/or is it better?