PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Need help with flavour classes/build

Gulstaf
2015-12-08, 01:13 AM
So I'm playing a 3.5 edition campaign with my friends, all source books are free game and no restrictions on race and the like. I've already been playing another character in the campaign but have become bored of it. With that in mind I wanted to try something new, something a little more RP intensive, and something a bit goofy.

I've settled on making a Goliath character who has taken.... The vow of peace! (and prerequisites of course). I've spoken to my DM about it as well as the other players, they're fine with it so no problems there. the campaign is level 10 (but has been apparently planned out into early epic level ~ lvl 23) and I've sacrificed the 3k experience to buy out my LA but since hes fresh he hasn't gained it back yet. The build I've been toying with right now is fighter 6/dragon devotee 1/justiciar 2. (not entirely sold on this class breakdown yet)

I've rolled really well for his stats and what not so I can spend the surplus of skill points to get the prerequisites for justiciar by cross classing my skills.

I thought the justiciar and dragon devotee classes were good for the idea of a LG bounty hunter type who worships Bahamut. I want him to be the party tank (as we're lacking one) and thought the vow of peace would help out splendidly with that. I've checked out some other classes like knight that I've considered dropping 4 or so fighter levels for to make him more effective at tanking.

with my mock up build hes pretty darn good at sundering (he weilds a +1 sundering adamantine goliath greathammer), and hes also fairly adept at grappling especially with the titans grips or w/e. and his ac is something like 25 (+1 mithral deathward fullplate, and various bonuses from natural armor and the like).

I'm not trying to optimize him by any means but if anyone could suggest some classes that would fit with the general sort of direction I've been going I'd be quite grateful! (also feel free to critique the current build as you see fit!).

I look forward to seeing what the playground has to suggest or thinks of it as is!

nedz
2015-12-08, 02:34 AM
Fighter is quite a poor choice since it has rubbish skills.

Ranger would seem to fit your concept better since it has the skills, and Track, you need to qualify for Justicar — though you could play a character who does this job better without that PrC perhaps ?
Just play a Ranger/Rogue and either use a sap or eat the -4 to hit. I wouldn't go for more than 2 levels of Justicar anyway.

I'm puzzled by the Dragon Devotee choice ?
This doesn't seem to give you much. If you want the Draconic feat why not go for Silverbrow or something ?

Silverbrow Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 4 / Justicar 2 perhaps ?
Maybe replacing a Ranger level, or 2, with Fighter if you need the feats ?

Oh, and there is a Wilderness Rogue ACF in (UA p56), also here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogueVariantWilderness Rogue), which gets you wilderness skills - if you prefer.

Gulstaf
2015-12-08, 02:53 AM
Ranger actually would make a lot more sense, I've been looking in so many other source books other than the PHB I didn't even consider it!

The only reason I went with fighter was to capitalize on feats, as I concur fighter skills are quite sub-par.

I figured justiciar would be good for its bonuses to grappling, and non-lethal sneak attack style damage bonuses (with no loss to BAB). I also enjoyed the flavour of this class as well although 10 levels in this class probably would not be ideal.

As for the dragon devotee, that selection was a bit of half flavour (for my characters worship of Bahamut, LG dragon god of true justice and all that) and half utility for his vow of peace calming aura which is charisma based, I had planned to take 3 levels for the constitution bonus as well to boost his weapon destroying DC (also from vow of peace).

I'll look into your suggestions though for sure. Had looked at the UA variant classes but not very closely.

Gulstaf
2015-12-08, 05:56 AM
I'm mostly curious about possible next step classes (prestige or otherwise) that fit the goody two shoes wandering bounty hunter motif I've tried to cobble together for this character while still giving him some decent abilities.

Darrin
2015-12-08, 03:12 PM
I'm mostly curious about possible next step classes (prestige or otherwise) that fit the goody two shoes wandering bounty hunter motif I've tried to cobble together for this character while still giving him some decent abilities.

Ranger 2/Fighter 2/Barb 2 (Spirit Lion Totem/Wolf Totem) is probably a better entry than Fighter 6.

As far as PrCs go, Consecrated Harrier (CDiv) might be a good fit. Bloodhound (CAdv) is similar, but may overlap with Justiciar a bit. I also like Knight of the Middle Circle's (DotF) "Combat Sense" for taking down marks.

gorfnab
2015-12-08, 03:35 PM
Justiciar was featured in an Iron Chef (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255215-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-XXXVII) (builds start on the last post of page 5) awhile ago, maybe you can find some stuff in those builds that you can use.

Red Fel
2015-12-08, 04:17 PM
You have a dragon-themed super-LG devotee of Bahamut... Is there a reason you're not making him Dragonborn? You lose Mountain Movement, Acclimated, and Sense Motive, but you can grow a pair of wings, or get x-ray vision, so those are useful things that happen. It also really emphasizes just how Good you are.

Aside from that, I'd advise taking the Crusader class for your meat shield needs. Grab a Merciful weapon, or go with Monk/Unarmed Swordsage/IUS and switch all damage to nonlethal. Crusader will give you great options for redirecting attacks to you, and healing your allies; because it's fairly non-ability-dependent, you can focus more on Dex (for AoOs), Con (for beefy goodness), and Cha (for your various abilities).