PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Debuffing Magus Build.

Cranthis
2015-12-08, 01:40 AM
I'm building what the title says for a backup, or new campaign, character. I don't know what level I'll play it, but I'd like to get the bones of the build up. So far, here's what I've got.
Human Magus level ?
20 point buy
Str: 15 (17 after +2 from human), Dex: 14, Con: 12, Int: 16, Wis: 10, and Cha: 7.
Traits: Magical Lineage, Frostbite, Metamagic Master, Frigid Touch, and Weathered Emmisary. Drawback: Warded against nature.
Feats: 1st level, Rime Spell, and the Human bonus feat will be combat casting.
I'm thinking my third level feat will be extra arcana, so I can get the Arcane Accuracy and Close Range arcana.

What do you guys think I can change to begin with, and what advice do you have for future levels?

Kurald Galain
2015-12-08, 04:30 AM
It's a good start. You can add the Enforcer feat to do more debuffing, and eventually a Cruel weapon. Frigid Touch doesn't generally need Rime Spell, since it already staggers. Combat casting is not so useful at higher level, so you should only take it if retraining is available.

The Magus guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus) has a debuffing build near the end.

HTH!

tadkins
2015-12-08, 06:54 AM
Not surprised to see Kurald as the first response.

Man sure knows his Magus. :)

Psyren
2015-12-08, 09:45 AM
Hexcrafter makes a really good debuffer. A bunch of curses added to your list, hexes like misfortune and evil eye to drive them home, and prehensile hair helps you bad-touch safely.

Geddy2112
2015-12-08, 09:56 AM
A familiar is never a bad thing for any magus, but extra worth considering since you want to bad touch.

Hunter Noventa
2015-12-08, 10:12 AM
Hexcrafter makes a really good debuffer. A bunch of curses added to your list, hexes like misfortune and evil eye to drive them home, and prehensile hair helps you bad-touch safely.

I can't agree more. Hexcrafter has some really good debuff potential between Hexes and every [Curse] spell being added to your list.

It also ups your melee damage potential, as you get access to Brand,a level 0 spell that deals 1 damage, and is therefore totally valid for Spellstrike. It has the added effect of letting you write all over your enemy when you hit them. I like to imagine my Magus was branding everyone with 'BAKA' when she hit them. I also god some great use out of ice Tomb and managed to make some Aboleth-cicles.

You may also want to consider going with Tiefling instead of human. I'm sure one of the varieties from their splatbook gives the stat bonuses you want, they share the Favored Class bonus with Humans, but you can also take Vestigal Wings for a Fly bonus, and Prehensile Tail to be able to hold a Metamagic Rod while still having both your hands free. But you also lose your bonus feat, and Extra Arcana is a big deal, as is Combat casting.

Cranthis
2015-12-08, 02:43 PM
All solid advice that I'll be considering.